You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold: Game Help & Strategy Discussions
Moderated by peter2008, Lord Michael I, ericgolf, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold: Game Help & Strategy Discussions » Building placement for beginners
Bottom
Topic Subject:Building placement for beginners
koobz
Archer
posted 11-14-15 14:09 EST (US)         
Hello, i am finally playing stronghold and i love it. However the tutorial and first campaign missions don't really help in details.

Does it matter where i put my hunting posts? my wheat farms, how many mills, can i put them all together or should they be spread out?
Should wood cutting posts be placed near trees ?

Later in the campaign , i have access to stone mining however again they didn't explain anything about it...

What buildings should be close to the stockpile ?
AuthorReplies:
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 11-14-15 15:24 EST (US)     1 / 10       
Welcome to Stronghold Heaven!

Regarding hunting posts, it doesn't matter where you build them. If they have some dears around them they would go and hunt them, but on most maps they would just look around and find some birds - take them down, and bring the food to the granary. You can literarily build bunch of them at a same spot, it wouldn't make them any less effective (as you could expect in real life). You build hunting posts only if there are dears on the map, rabbits or something they could hunt. Choose to build them somewhere near those animal herds, but keep in mind that they will be running around...

When you build wheat farms, bakeries, and mills, I just build several of wheat farms, one mill and several bakeries; then I monitor how much flour I have, how much wheat, and how much bread - then I add more of some of those buildings if needed. It's not always the same, on some maps you are not able to build wheat farms close to your stockpile, while on some maps you are able to... Still, when it comes to the mission you're telling about - it's Chapter 2, hunting posts will be enough.

If you want to ask how much hunting post - more you build them, more food you will get, and if you build treasury: you can click on granary, give people more food, click on the treasury stone keep and take more taxes from the people. The summed popularity effect needs to stay positive - +1 or 0 for example, so popularity wouldn't drop from 100. They you get peasants more quickly, and when popularity is below 50 you start to loose peasants.

It is advised to build woodcutters close to forest if it is possible.

You can mine stone, just build a stone quarry and don't forget to build two or three ox tethers per each stone quarry you build. Ox tethers also need to be placed to the stone you want them to take the stone from.

All those industry buildings such as bakery, mill, brewery, any workshop for producing weapons... should be placed close to the stockpile if it is possible. All those need to take something from the stockpile (flour for example) to produce what they need to produce.

I am glad to see new Stronghold players having with this awesome game, if you need any help, feel free to ask. I hope I was helpful.

[This message has been edited by EaglePrince (edited 11-15-2015 @ 01:23 PM).]

peter2008
Knight
posted 11-14-15 16:01 EST (US)     2 / 10       
Hello koobz, you can surely be assisted.

"i am finally playing stronghold" - Is it the first time you play a game of the Stronghold series or do you have any pre-experience, e.g. from Kingdoms?

"However the tutorial and first campaign missions don't really help in details." - Two replies: for one, it is the concept of the Firefly game developers that people shall find out many things for themselves. Therefrom come the "approximate" statements in the handbook, tutorial and mission intros. Then, however, I remember some few hints like "woodcutters' huts close to the trees" etc.

-> A general suggestion would be that you explore every building, its possibilities and relations, and that you observe the walks of the workers. (They have as well some funny things to say.)

"Does it matter where i put my hunting posts? my wheat farms, / Should wood cutting posts be placed near trees ? / What buildings should be close to the stockpile ? " - The overall principle underlying these questions, is distance. And, yeah it matters.

-> Which are the crucial ways?
A woodcutters leaves his hut 3 times to chop wood. So better place the hut close to the object. While a hunter may have to wander around for a long time until he meets the herd of deer, it would be counter-productive if he'd have to take a roundabout back to the granary.

-> So the various buildings should be placed a) close to the respective deposit source or storage buildings - stockpile, granary, armoury - and b) in the order of importance.
Weapon factories which consume wood and iron will best be placed closest to the stockpile (and armoury close by) . Whereas distance is not that important for mills, bakeries, breweries and inns (bread and ale last long in their effect).

"can i put them all together or should they be spread out?" - Having the buildings close together shortens the ways. Though there may be, in future missions, one plain reason to leave 1-2 tiles of space between the buildings: fire events. (Do not occur in the SH1 military campaign.)

Additional tips:
- The Walkthroughs of our site. You find them on the main site, column on the right. These rounds have been played when the game came out and probably won't show refinements gained by longer experience.
- But here is one example of the results where the above-mentioned careful observation can lead you. (Even if done for SH Crusader.)

Have fun.

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin

[This message has been edited by peter2008 (edited 11-14-2015 @ 04:06 PM).]

koobz
Archer
posted 11-14-15 19:31 EST (US)     3 / 10       
Thanks for the tips,
The stronghold awaits me!
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 11-15-15 02:37 EST (US)     4 / 10       
"can i put them all together or should they be spread out?" - Having the buildings close together shortens the ways. Though there may be, in future missions, one plain reason to leave 1-2 tiles of space between the buildings: fire events. (Do not occur in the SH1 military campaign.)
I believe you meant to say that fire events do not occur in Stronghold 2 military campaign? In Stronghold 1 it happens a lot. I guess that's how you made the typo.

You're welcome. If you feel need to ask anything regarding the game, do come.

[This message has been edited by EaglePrince (edited 11-15-2015 @ 02:40 AM).]

peter2008
Knight
posted 11-15-15 11:42 EST (US)     5 / 10       
Thanks for close reading. Yet, nope, I did mean SH1.
As this thread is in a SH1 section and koobz talked about "stronghold" I assumed he's playing that one. And the hunting posts sounded like the military campaign.

Fire burns high there in some later missions but from pitch for defence outside the village, not from scripted events like in some economic missions.

If it was SH2, the basic concepts of eco buildings arrangement are rather similar in all the games. (With the speciality in SH2 of the orientation of the mills entrances towards the stockpile.)

PS. What's your favourite military mission in the SH1 campaign? I'm still excited about "First Blood", no. 11 because of its complex development.

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin

[This message has been edited by peter2008 (edited 11-15-2015 @ 12:03 PM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 11-15-15 13:16 EST (US)     6 / 10       
Oh, somehow I assumed this one is in Stronghold 2 section, but still, most of those what I said still apply - only that he doesn't need (nor can) build treasury, he can take taxes from the keep, and hunters don't work the same way as in Stronghold 2... I will correct my previous post.

Regarding military missions, the favorite ones to me are the one you described, mission 12 - Ransom, and mission 17 - Smokey Bacon. I remember playing mission 11 against Wolf, that was the first one to face swordsmen if I remember correctly, and there the player needs to build the castle from the beginning.

I like Ransom and Smokey Bacon for similar reasons - in Ransom you have very little from the old castle, and I believe many of us rebuild it differently and choose different defensive tactics.

Similar with Smokey Bacon - you need to take over the city, and defend it afterwards. I find all those three missions really interesting.
peter2008
Knight
posted 11-18-15 12:27 EST (US)     7 / 10       
"Smokey Bacon", yes, that one is a great mission, too. Kinda "Fist Blood" on an advanced level. You don't start from scratch but have to reorganize the village and castle, thereby establishing an allround economy and defence.

I spent the time and re-played it on Very hard. Man, I was tearing down Apple orchards all the time to get space for new buildings or to relocate the fruit farms according to the new outline.
The mission would be worth to try out different starting strategies.
Pity that only the degree of troops lost counts for extra victory points instead of, say, gold as well. We could otherwise arrange a competition for fun. Had 8% losses which makes 24,200 points.

(Had the idea, once, for a competition about Crusader military campaign "Antioch, the Counter Siege": how many bows produced?)

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 11-19-15 03:19 EST (US)     8 / 10       
It is a good idea for a contest. We could let know guys on Steam about it as well. We could make our own victory point calculator - to add collected gold in consideration as well. We could tell on Stronghold Nation about this too.

The idea about Crusader mission is good too, and maybe that would attract more players as well.
peter2008
Knight
posted 11-24-15 00:24 EST (US)     9 / 10       
PS. Did you receive my e-mail?

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 11-24-15 15:36 EST (US)     10 / 10       
You must be logged in to post messages.