You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: The Map Room
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.35 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: The Map Room » 03 Krak des Chevaliers: Hell & the Hospitaller - By WarLord Designs
Bottom
Topic Subject:03 Krak des Chevaliers: Hell & the Hospitaller - By WarLord Designs
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
WL_D Alexus
Archer
posted 12-17-11 09:25 EST (US)         

Greeting to all,

It sure has been a long time since I have posted anything of note in here. To be perfectly honest I certainly didn't expect to upload another map either, but with the recent disappointment of SH3 I suddenly found the urge to get amongst a good skirmish or two and mustered the energy and inspiration so revive a sleeping giant.

The concept of a 3 AI fortress (Krak des Chevaliers) was one that I had started about a year ago, but with the struggles of keep placements and the vast size of the castle itself, the burden soon took its toll and I was done with it.

Fortunately I found that little spark again, so I am proud to say I finally got it done, 3 AI's building a single mighty castle. There is of course still the terrain to be completed, and perhaps I may add another opponent or an ally depending on how I feel it plays, but the hardest part is complete and I am looking forward to getting it out to the community.

Not much to show you yet, but updates will be made as I progress through the design phase.

With kind wishes for you all during the festive season,

Alexus.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it -Voltaire

[This message has been edited by WL_D Alexus (edited 07-08-2014 @ 04:09 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
peter2008
Knight
posted 12-17-11 10:15 EST (US)     1 / 35       
Hello Alexus,

wonderful ! This will be a present.

If you add another AI, one whose troops make sallies could be fine (like the Caliph's slaves or the Sheriff's maces).

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
WL_D Alexus
Archer
posted 12-17-11 10:23 EST (US)     2 / 35       
Hi Peter,

good to hear from you. Well if I do add another player it will have to be a tough and helpful one, (that darn Caliph never wants to help lol) the castle is going to be tough to beat. Perhaps a Saladin...we'll see what happens

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it -Voltaire

[This message has been edited by WL_D Alexus (edited 12-17-2011 @ 11:32 AM).]

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 12-17-11 15:16 EST (US)     3 / 35       
Great news Alexus and good to see you back

The fortress in the background looks great, I'm sure the terrain will be impressive as well.
Also, if you need a playtester or two you can count on me

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
WL_D Alexus
Archer
posted 12-17-11 20:10 EST (US)     4 / 35       
Thanks LoH,

the fortress you see in the background is the one you will have to siege, only it will be filled with 3 enemies so it might be a little more crowded.

If the need for testing arises I'll be sure to ask you, thanks in advance.

Wolfman4God
Archer
posted 12-19-11 08:36 EST (US)     5 / 35       
Looks like a good challenge, I'm open for play testing also!

Run like heck, and earn your puke!
Wolfman
WL_D Alexus
Archer
posted 12-19-11 10:51 EST (US)     6 / 35       
Thanks wolfman4god,

should have some updates in a day or two.

SkullHeroLord
Archer
posted 12-19-11 14:28 EST (US)     7 / 35       
Nice.......

Can't wait!
WL_D Alexus
Archer
posted 12-20-11 08:46 EST (US)     8 / 35       
-Thanks SkullHeroLord,
I'm looking foreard to releasing this one.

Ok time for a small update on my progress.

In this screenshot you can see the layout required for the designed fortress. Custom towers (made of walls) need to be on raised terrain, the iron placed on the borders of these raised blocks remove the stone edges, allowing the AI to build without me having to go back and remove the cliff later.

You will also notice 6 keeps, the player icons show the original location, the ghosted in ones show how the keeps move and flip into position once the map is played. From these locations I will later use the "save to map" trick and place them within the fortress walls. The inner ward will house the largest keep available.

Here you see the inner ward of Krak des Chevaliers, the buildings aren't exactly how they will appear in the final version, but you can get a good idea of what it will look like. the walls and towers will remain the same. The wolf will also have a keep with in this ward.

Well that's all for now, backt to work.

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 12-20-11 11:48 EST (US)     9 / 35       
That looks both interesting and exciting. I really like the concept.

Great work, good luck further

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
WL_D Alexus
Archer
posted 12-20-11 12:13 EST (US)     10 / 35       
Thanks Lord_of_Hell,

It seems to be the only way to get a real challenge from the AI, at least defensively. It would be good if we were able to alter how many troops are gathered before they attack.

the 2 wolves seem to gather a stronger force each time and attack in tandem, Frederick sometimes also attacks with them so if I restrict certain options or troop types hopefully there will be a good challenge.

SkullHeroLord
Archer
posted 12-20-11 14:13 EST (US)     11 / 35       
Umm...so this is a invasion then?
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 12-20-11 15:03 EST (US)     12 / 35       
Skirmish-Invasion

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 12-25-11 08:23 EST (US)     13 / 35       
Looks fantastic
Though I'm sure I have already told you that. I think this may be the best crusader map this site has seen yet. You're only in competition with yourself though, I think you've had that title since you started making crusader maps. The siege of Kerak and Krak Des Chevaliers come to mind as prime examples.

Eagerly await more updates

Also note the baby still refuses to comment after all these years, I find that extremely humorous. That's code I don't expect anyone but Alexus to understand, so don't try to :P
WL_D Alexus
Archer
posted 12-25-11 11:17 EST (US)     14 / 35       
Thanks Arthus,

didn't expect you to be around here. Hope you're feeling better by the way.

The map is coming along well, just some finishing touches, like trees before I begin to try and work on a balance of troops, buildings etc. I plan to limit what buildings can be placed as well as what troops can be trained.

For now just an updated minimap, better screens to come soon.

Oh your coded message went straight over my head lol, have to ask you about it later.

Alexus.

WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 12-25-11 22:12 EST (US)     15 / 35       
Yeah I pop in on the rare occasion to see how things are going, however with SH3 being a failure my visits have once again died off.

Look forward to the updates, and don't worry, i'm sure it will click once I see you.
ericgolf
Earl
posted 12-26-11 19:16 EST (US)     16 / 35       
Looks like it will be a super map.

Great screenies/graphics
(a tad too wide for my res though)
WL_D Alexus
Archer
posted 12-28-11 08:18 EST (US)     17 / 35       
Thanks ericgolf,

Just trying to get the right balance for the beginning of the mission, the first attack is quite a potent one, not to mention the constant raids conducted by knights and horse archers.
(a tad too wide for my res though)
Didn't Santa bring you a new widescreen for Christmas

Alexus.

surajsubba
Archer
posted 12-28-11 11:05 EST (US)     18 / 35       
Very impressive as always

A concept never actually pulled off by anyone so far. Look forward to your updates.

'.___________'-._______________.-'__________.'
.--.________.-~"^'~-.____'~-.-~+=≡↵-._◊◊_.-↵≡=+~-.-~'____.-~'^"~-.________.--.
.-________'.__'.____.-~"'_________"'~-._..-~+=↵≡+-.._◊Ĭ◊_..-+≡↵=+~-.._.-~'"_________"'~-.____.'__.'________-.
'._.-'^'-._ __'-._.-~"_"'~.-=◊↵Dark Water.wip↵=~-._◊_.-~=↵Skirmish Masters↵◊=-.~'"_"~-._.-'___.-'^'-._.'
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 12-28-11 11:51 EST (US)     19 / 35       
Good to see you around suraj.
A concept never actually pulled off by anyone so far.
Actually few others worked on similar projects (qtlilkeg, TwoDie) but nonetheless it's indeed an original concept.

The minimap update remembers me of another SHC map by you, Tripoli :P

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
WL_D Alexus
Archer
posted 12-28-11 13:44 EST (US)     20 / 35       
Good to see you around suraj.
Agreed, nice to see you around here, and thanks for your kind words Any possibility of seeing another of your maps gracing the DL's?
The minimap update remembers me of another SHC map by you, Tripoli :P
wow that's going back a while, it's one of the few maps that I actually played more than once, after making them I tend not to want to play them lol.

Anyway, here's an update for you all.

Well that's it for now, working out the little kinks before release, shouldn't be too long now. Thanks for your support.

Alexus.

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 12-28-11 16:54 EST (US)     21 / 35       
Great presentation as always

I do have something to point out though. From what I've seen there are some areas where you've placed grass with the smallest brush size, which on contrast with other ground details/richer grass it gave a square view of that terrain. Know what I mean?

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
surajsubba
Archer
posted 12-29-11 01:57 EST (US)     22 / 35       
Actually few others worked on similar projects (qtlilkeg, TwoDie)
Goes to show i don't play invasion maps much now doesn't it??

Great screens Alexus and yes, i am working on a few Skirmish maps. But i'm not sure if i'll be able to finish them.

'.___________'-._______________.-'__________.'
.--.________.-~"^'~-.____'~-.-~+=≡↵-._◊◊_.-↵≡=+~-.-~'____.-~'^"~-.________.--.
.-________'.__'.____.-~"'_________"'~-._..-~+=↵≡+-.._◊Ĭ◊_..-+≡↵=+~-.._.-~'"_________"'~-.____.'__.'________-.
'._.-'^'-._ __'-._.-~"_"'~.-=◊↵Dark Water.wip↵=~-._◊_.-~=↵Skirmish Masters↵◊=-.~'"_"~-._.-'___.-'^'-._.'

[This message has been edited by surajsubba (edited 12-29-2011 @ 02:11 AM).]

ericgolf
Earl
posted 12-29-11 07:22 EST (US)     23 / 35       
Screen res setting on my lappy is 1366 x 768
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 12-29-11 07:36 EST (US)     24 / 35       
You can make the pictures fit the screen by holding down Ctrl and pressing "-"(minus). Everything will get smaller.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
PerfectImperfect
Archer
posted 12-30-11 16:18 EST (US)     25 / 35       
omg this looks amazing :O can't wait for it to come out
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames