Bottom
Topic Subject:Magnum Opus
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 04-29-12 02:19 EST (US)         
Firefly

download - http://stronghold.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=7637

This is my next big map, and definitely my last. Life is continually changing and demanding new things.
Once I finish this, I'm never making another map again; it's too time-consuming.

Probably won't be finished for another ~3 months.
Still trying landscape design concepts... not even close to finishing.

It'll be an invasion, and my most detailed map by far.

[This message has been edited by The Dragonheart (edited 01-17-2014 @ 10:54 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Fayez2010
Archer
posted 04-29-12 06:33 EST (US)     1 / 40       
Your most detailed map will mean the most detailed map of SHC on SHH.

Sorry to hear your last one.

Are these walls on mountains? Or trying to make snow?

Titanic is as strong, even God can't sink it.
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 04-29-12 07:08 EST (US)     2 / 40       
For the little progress that's visible, it looks like the beginning of another epic scenario
Good luck with it.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 04-29-12 17:30 EST (US)     3 / 40       
Fayez, it's not snow - just walls. The himalaya mountains are still in the early development phase.

Lord_of_Hell, what?! "Little progress"?! You wouldn't say that if you saw how much detail is already in the city. lol ^^

I think this map was started 15 months ago, but it has only been in the last 2 months that I've really been putting in considerable work.
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 04-29-12 17:43 EST (US)     4 / 40       
It does look like little progress from the minimap, since you didn't post any other pictures :P But I expect you'll do that soon, won't you?

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Fayez2010
Archer
posted 04-30-12 02:38 EST (US)     5 / 40       
Yea...I also except some pictures.
I'd be pleased to see the picture of the Himalaya mountains which are resting above the castle with creative cuts.

Titanic is as strong, even God can't sink it.
surajsubba
Archer
posted 04-30-12 04:48 EST (US)     6 / 40       
The Dragonheart Masterpiece then?
Sad to hear that this is going to be your last map.. Although i hope not

We all move on to other things eventually. I hardly ever play SHC these days. It will take a great load of motivation for me to start making maps again.

* Keeping a watchful eye on the thread *

'.___________'-._______________.-'__________.'
.--.________.-~"^'~-.____'~-.-~+=≡↵-._◊◊_.-↵≡=+~-.-~'____.-~'^"~-.________.--.
.-________'.__'.____.-~"'_________"'~-._..-~+=↵≡+-.._◊Ĭ◊_..-+≡↵=+~-.._.-~'"_________"'~-.____.'__.'________-.
'._.-'^'-._ __'-._.-~"_"'~.-=◊↵Dark Water.wip↵=~-._◊_.-~=↵Skirmish Masters↵◊=-.~'"_"~-._.-'___.-'^'-._.'
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 04-30-12 06:36 EST (US)     7 / 40       
I'm sure it's gonna be a great map, although I'm sad to hear it's your last one.

And yeah, if there is any way to motivate you, surajsubba, to make new maps, please, let me know! I love your skirmish maps.
Wolfman4God
Archer
posted 04-30-12 09:51 EST (US)     8 / 40       
Wow, looks great. And if it is really your last map I wold expect a lot of reviews. I surely will review when it comes out!

Run like heck, and earn your puke!
Wolfman

[This message has been edited by wolfman4god (edited 04-30-2012 @ 09:52 AM).]

ericgolf
Earl
posted 05-19-12 03:53 EST (US)     9 / 40       
It is an intreaguing and tantalising start
Look forward to seeing more of it

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 05-19-2012 @ 03:53 AM).]

The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 06-15-12 08:28 EST (US)     10 / 40       
I updated the minimap.

The city is 95% complete and now I'm working on realistic erosion at the edge of the mountains... looks kind of sketchy, but I'll perfect everything once it's done.

Still lots of empty green canvas to go.

[This message has been edited by The Dragonheart (edited 06-15-2012 @ 08:29 AM).]

ericgolf
Earl
posted 06-20-12 17:41 EST (US)     11 / 40       
Nice developments
Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 06-29-12 17:36 EST (US)     12 / 40       
Looks like another great map is rising out of the desert sand!

That small curvy river in the bottom and its surrounding looks great on the minimap already. And I like how the bigger river is flowing through the city

Looking forward to the further development of this map, I wish you good luck in experimenting and much free time!

Sad to hear this being the last map from you

Ever expect the unexpected!
Life is a row of mistakes, but avoiding them will not make life shorter!
Every kind of biological life is egoistical, but the human race is the only known one that successfully manages to destroy the living room of its own descendants.

Some of my better creations: The Ancient Knight, Ain Ebel Warfare, United AIV, Dark Skies over Al'Shareed
The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 08-19-12 04:20 EST (US)     13 / 40       
Despite not working on it in two months, I aim to submit the map by December... hopefully.
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 08-19-12 09:44 EST (US)     14 / 40       
Make it a Christmas present

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 11-05-12 00:58 EST (US)     15 / 40       
Still haven't touched the map since June.

No way going to be finished by Xmas - I'm busy with uni assignments and there's just too many triple A console games coming out this month that I want to play.

I really want to make the map as perfect as I possibly can, which means I need to make the map in large chunks of single sittings. I can't spend 20 minutes one day, 10 the next, then 15 after that - it's too hard trying to figure out where I finished the day before. When map making, I find it most effective to have the editor open for several hours at a time - I make considerable progress this way. But this just won't happen at the present moment, not with my schedule and lack of motivation.

I had a feeling that I should have delayed the map's announcement until it was nearly complete - I foresaw the map would be postponed several times, and it has. Hopefully I'll get back to working on it after the new year, and try to finish it before June/July.

Regarding the map's contents...
The landscape won't be filled with green grass like it's shown in the minimap - I prefer to use grass as my 'empty canvas' instead of the default desert ground that Crusader provides. So, the map still contains a lot of empty areas to be filled.

The northern mountains were one of the first things created (nearly two years ago) and they're horrible. The whole northern section needs to be wiped clean and re-created.

(Not sure if I revealed this detail before...) The city is up on Maximum Height, giving a real sense of epic scale. Dug into the length of the city is a deep gorge containing a river at the bottom with lush bushes, trees and ferns. I've spent an unbelievable amount of hours crafting every tile of the city, and while it doesn't look like much from the minimap, I think everyone will see what I'm talking about when they get their hands on it.

The natural landscape will be a dynamic mix of green oasis and distinguished sand dunes. For the dunes, look at surajsubba's North to Camralakh series for an idea of what they'll look like. I'm going to make the landscape as realistic as it can possibly be.

But for now, the Crusader disc is buried in some far away bottom drawer.

The Dragonheart

[This message has been edited by The Dragonheart (edited 11-05-2012 @ 01:01 AM).]

Wolfman4God
Archer
posted 11-05-12 09:50 EST (US)     16 / 40       
I will wait patiently. It is rare to find a mapmaker as dedicated and detailed as you. I think this will be a gem worth waiting for. Keep up the good work.

Run like heck, and earn your puke!
Wolfman
Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 11-17-12 16:30 EST (US)     17 / 40       
I just can repeat what Wolfman said above!

Every kind of biological life is egoistical, but the human race is the only known one that successfully manages to destroy the living room of its own descendants.

Some of my better creations: The Ancient Knight, Ain Ebel Warfare, United AIV, Dark Skies over Al'Shareed
The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 03-22-13 07:08 EST (US)     18 / 40       
9 months since I last touched Crusader, but I'm back on it now.

Working on the map several hours a day until it's finished.

July~August release date.

[This message has been edited by The Dragonheart (edited 03-22-2013 @ 07:08 AM).]

Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 03-23-13 14:18 EST (US)     19 / 40       
I'm back on it now
that's definitely good news

peter2008
Knight
posted 03-23-13 18:14 EST (US)     20 / 40       
enjoy your life time while you're creating the map.

and I'm curious to watch and to play it.

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 03-24-13 20:18 EST (US)     21 / 40       
Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

Sand dune landscape is starting to take shape...

ericgolf
Earl
posted 03-25-13 03:02 EST (US)     22 / 40       
These are great looking additions. Keep up the good work on this fine map
surajsubba
Archer
posted 04-06-13 08:45 EST (US)     23 / 40       
The update looks great . I like intricate designs on a castle. Your sand dunes are coming out nicely.

We all would love some screenshots..

'.___________'-._______________.-'__________.'
.--.________.-~"^'~-.____'~-.-~+=≡↵-._◊◊_.-↵≡=+~-.-~'____.-~'^"~-.________.--.
.-________'.__'.____.-~"'_________"'~-._..-~+=↵≡+-.._◊Ĭ◊_..-+≡↵=+~-.._.-~'"_________"'~-.____.'__.'________-.
'._.-'^'-._ __'-._.-~"_"'~.-=◊↵Dark Water.wip↵=~-._◊_.-~=↵Skirmish Masters↵◊=-.~'"_"~-._.-'___.-'^'-._.'
The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 04-07-13 01:01 EST (US)     24 / 40       
Thanks. Some screenshots soon, I promise.
The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 07-17-13 20:39 EST (US)     25 / 40       
I have no intention of finishing the map. Still so much work to do on it - I really don't see the point anymore.

It will sit on my hard drive forever.

[This message has been edited by The Dragonheart (edited 07-17-2013 @ 08:39 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames