You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Non-Contest Ideas?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Non-Contest Ideas?
Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-12-05 13:28 EST (US)         
The community map was a lot of fun, and something that we can certainly do again (perhaps with SH2 after it comes out).

What other non-contest ideas do you have? What would you like to do? If you think of something fun or interesting, you can share your ideas here.

.-•°•-.-• Kester •-.-•°•-.
•-.-•°•-.-• deviations .-•°•-. flickr .-•°•-. gamertag •-.-•°•-.-•
.-•°•-.-• if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } •-.-•°•-.
AuthorReplies:
Duc de Noisiel
Archer
posted 03-12-05 16:05 EST (US)     1 / 21       
What about a map where the goal is to produce a maximum of goods? The challenge would be to produce as many goods as possible in a given time - 5 or 10 game years (More?) - with some events to prevent it from being too easy.

If the game is set on 10 years for example, make a scenario that runs 11 years, and by december of the tenth year, make a save and send it to show what has been produced by that date...

It would be related to some or all of the available goods, and rated with a rate scale for each of the goods...

Also, it could be done on one map with different challenges: for example, one challenge would be to fulfill a goal with different types of goods, and another one would be to fulfill the goal with only one of the available good.

It would be some economic challenge instead of fighting or surviving; but could be mixed with some bandit attacks if it's an economic map, or with enemy attacks if based on an invasion map.

The goal, anyway, would be to produce a maximum of things in a limited time...

NeKoeNMa
Archer
posted 03-12-05 20:37 EST (US)     2 / 21       
Your suggestion sounds a lot like a normal Economic map Noisiel. Just with sending screenshots on the final scores added on.

Hm... But I can't think of anything better.

Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-14-05 13:18 EST (US)     3 / 21       
I like your idea, Duc de Noisiel, though it sounds more like a contest...

I'll file it away for possible contest ideas

.-•°•-.-• if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } •-.-•°•-.
Duc de Noisiel
Archer
posted 03-14-05 18:31 EST (US)     4 / 21       
It's kinda contest, yep, but with no goal to reach besides to produce as many of a good as possible in a limited time.

There would even be several ways of playing it:

To produce as much gold as possible.
To produce as many weapons as possible.
To produce as much food as possible.
To produce one given good as much as possible.
(This one could be extended to all types of goods...*grin*)

And, of course:

Basic total run for all available goods.

Playability could be improved with a few small invasions on an invasion map, and with some bad or good events as well, except fire to personal my point of view... Of course, plagues, bandits and wolves would be a must...

The idea is to try to make it with one of the goals, with several or even with all. It gives the opportunity (and necessity) to play the map different times (Different ways?) in order to achieve all goals... Now, what size map should it be? A large one I guess to increase difficulty due to the location of the ressources.

The challenge would be to produce a map that offers many ressources to exploit, not all displayed together... (Like iron spread a bit all over the map and not located in quantity in one place for example) I thought of a "place your keep" way of playing, it might as well be with an already placed keep... It depends how the ressources are placed. There is a rating per good -when you finish a map with economic goals- that could be applied to the results if the goal is to produce several types of goods.
It would be good to start with just a limited amount of wood and food, and with no gold too.

Regarding the invasions, if invasion map, it would need to be not so strong ones, with the idea of bothering more than killing your lord. If the castle is closed, monks, spearmen or macemen make wonderful teasers... They shall kindly destroy some of the things you built until they are stopped.

Scripting would be a great challenge as well, a good balance would be needed to bother the gameplay only where it hurts.

[This message has been edited by Duc de Noisiel (edited 03-14-2005 @ 08:45 PM).]

Snydens
Archer
posted 03-16-05 12:30 EST (US)     5 / 21       
Hmm, I got one, not sure if it may work though.
How about one creating a basic map, then send it to another, he/she will then do whatever he/seh like with the map and then send it to another and so on. it might go many rounds. Could be fun to watch the final map.

Just an idea, maybe someon can come with some more rules or something.

NeKoeNMa
Archer
posted 03-16-05 15:05 EST (US)     6 / 21       
I liked the idea Snydens.

How about maps of 'castles' that can't have walls? I think that some nice villages can pop out here.

Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-16-05 15:44 EST (US)     7 / 21       
I like that idea too, Snydens. Perhaps the only rule could be to be considerate of the designers who went before you? (I.e. not to totally demolish a castle to build a new one where it used to stand. )

I think I'll separate this out and start another thread for contest ideas. Duc de Noisiel, would you mind copying your idea to the new thread?

Duc de Noisiel
Archer
posted 03-16-05 19:17 EST (US)     8 / 21       
Done Kester.
Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-16-05 19:56 EST (US)     9 / 21       
Thanks

Supersephiroth
Archer
posted 04-10-05 06:12 EST (US)     10 / 21       
I would like to see a community stronghold crusader map, but alot of people dislike crusader and rather have a orginal stronghold map. I`d like to see one on crusader because there arent that many good maps around on it and it would be nice to see one .

Supersephiroth

Supersephiroth
Add me on msn @ super_sephiroth@hotmail.com
One winged angel
Venomrider
Archer
posted 03-06-08 07:47 EST (US)     11 / 21       
If we do another community map I would be interested in helping out this time.

@ supersephiroth

Crusader is really good because of the skirmish and better lan options but stronghold does own in eyecandy and landscaping so I can easily understand their preference.
JuBuOrangie
Archer
posted 03-06-08 09:37 EST (US)     12 / 21       
Venomrider youre talking to people that posted 3 years ago just to let you know.
ericgolf
Earl
posted 03-06-08 16:01 EST (US)     13 / 21       
Venomrider, Look here for the Robin Hood community map project which could do with some help. The SH1 map is still incomplete and two of its designers might be willing to give up some allocated space to another map designer to do

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Léugìm Campaign Contribute a Review
surajsubba
Archer
posted 03-07-08 03:32 EST (US)     14 / 21       
Venomrider youre talking to people that posted 3 years ago just to let you know.
lol

'.___________'-._______________.-'__________.'
.--.________.-~"^'~-.____'~-.-~+¤=≡↵-._◊¤†¤◊_.-↵≡=¤+~-.-~'____.-~'^"~-.________.--.
.-________'.__'.____.-~"'_________"'~-._..-~¤+¤=↵≡+-.._◊Ĭ◊_..-+≡↵=¤+¤~-.._.-~'"_________"'~-.____.'__.'________-.
'._.-'^'-._ __'-._.-~"_"Ï'~.-=¤◊↵Dark Water.wip↵=¤~-¤._◊_.¤-~¤=↵Skirmish Masters↵◊¤=-.~'Ï"_"~-._.-'___.-'^'-._.'
Venomrider
Archer
posted 03-07-08 15:02 EST (US)     15 / 21       
I already knew the people posted years ago but I was bored and put it there just because sometimes the forum activity is low and people desperately search out red marked topics.

But sometime I do weird things
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 03-08-08 02:32 EST (US)     16 / 21       
The crusader map needs some more mapmakers. The others are lost. If von schimidt would just send it to me......

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 03-13-08 13:35 EST (US)     17 / 21       
Just a thought, if there was a place where experienced players could upload saved games it could help new or less experienced players learn better strategies, less experienced players could upload a save from a game they are having trouble with and get some constructive help to improve and better enjoy the games.

Anybody have an opinion they would like to share?

Sir_Vet
Sparrow
Archer
posted 03-13-08 13:42 EST (US)     18 / 21       
Interesting idea Sir_Vet.
ericgolf
Earl
posted 03-13-08 19:13 EST (US)     19 / 21       
I like Sir_Vet's idea. I think a lot of players would be curious to see how other players have played a map they are stuck on. I think that that such a game-save sharing place would be well used. The savs are big however. So resources would be a problem. Unless it was done by exchanging emails maybe? but the uploading would be better...

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Léugìm Campaign Contribute a Review
Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 03-14-08 13:22 EST (US)     20 / 21       
I have a new map that will be posted soon, it will be a hard SH2 war scenario, I am planning on including a couple of game saves to help players and give players a chance to jump to the fourth mission without doing the buildup.

How does that sound, I would like some opinions on that please.

New subject, A news article was posted a while back, it referred to a map made by Brave Sir Robin(Craggy Island).

The map was a great treasure that I and a lot of other players might have missed without the article, I just wanted to say you should do that more often.

Thanks for your comments.

Sir_Vet
MotherTheresaMay
Banned
posted 08-29-18 06:20 EST (US)     21 / 21       
Spam.

[This message has been edited by Civis Romanus (edited 09-08-2018 @ 11:17 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames