You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Discussion/help for the comp.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Discussion/help for the comp.
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 09-26-05 11:03 EST (US)         
I will most likely have many more questions or request help on the comp at some point and so i figured i may not be alone, thus the purpose of this topic.

I have started on Carreg Cennen Castle yet its history is all over the place. Multiple owners and battles not to mention legends and secret caves make this a very tricky structure to recreate. But seeing as i don't build im more curious on the terrain. today the castle is situated on farmland- very green, but i have failed to find out what the terrain was like before that. I've read alot about the high amounts of lime and so have come to the conclusion the landscape was alot more rocky, is this a fair assumption?
i could do with some help here, thanks .

just wondering whether staff are going to contribute. It would be great to compete with the likes of Duke of york, NAT and Kester although someone needs to judge right?
I guess we will be competeing with mostly newer members compared to last year, weired but should be fun
Arthus

AuthorReplies:
NAT
Banned
posted 09-26-05 14:54 EST (US)     1 / 24       
I recommended Carreg Cennon Castle, it is one my personal favourites and I have visited it many times on the way to where I go for my holidays in Wales

I can fill you in on the geography if you want, first thing I wouldn't bother trying to do the secret tunnel, there is a underground passage that leads about 100 yards underground, it comes out of the one of the towers on the south side.

To the south of the castle is a large cliff face going down to a weaving stream. There is absaloutely no way an army could attack from the south. The cliffs also curve around a bit to cover the western and eastern sides. Around the castle itself it is very rocky. The only way to really attack it was from the North East which is up a steady gradient. So you can imagine that attacking the castle is really tough!

About the surroudning countryside I would imagine that it would have been pretty green. The land around Carreg Cennon is quite fertile and there have been cattle and sheep farms there for centuries. It just wouldn't be quite so regulated and organised but I don't think the surroundings would have changed much. It is quite a rcoky landscape but thats mostly on the tops of the hills, the valleys and most of the slopes are quite lucious. Not quite appropriate for arable crops but perfectly suited for sheep and cattle.

Quote:

just wondering whether staff are going to contribute. It would be great to compete with the likes of Duke of york, NAT and Kester although someone needs to judge right?

I may do a Carreg Cennon Castle or Warkworth, for the last contest staff were allowed to enter but their entries would not be judged the same (a staff entry would never win), I would do it for pure leisure

Feel free to post any more questions n Carreg Cennon, it is a fantastic castle in an almost unassailable position!

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 09-26-2005 @ 02:57 PM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 09-26-05 21:41 EST (US)     2 / 24       
Could i send you my progress?
i have a feeling the pics i'm working from are not showing the true shape of the landscape,for example i can't see any evidence of water at all!! looks like i have found the perfect person to help me out here ,thanks
Arthus
NAT
Banned
posted 09-27-05 12:57 EST (US)     3 / 24       
I wouldn't worry too much about the surrounding topography apart from the stream to the south. Just try to get the feel of rolling hills with a few scraggy tops.

Have you seen the pics here
http://www.greatcastlesofwales.co.uk/carreg_foto.htm

Here is quite a good picture, the stream runs between the hill where the picture is taken and the castle itself -

http://www.the-welsh-corgi-club.co.uk/archives/miscellanious/P5061335.jpg

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 09-27-2005 @ 12:58 PM).]

Merepatra
HG Alumnus
posted 09-27-05 16:19 EST (US)     4 / 24       

Quote:

Staff can enter, and NAT has indicated he probably will, though of course if he does he won't have any involvement in the judging. And he won't be eligible to win any of the prizes.

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 09-30-05 00:49 EST (US)     5 / 24       
is anyone aware whether Duke of york seiged Carreg Cennen Castle?
i had a really good story on it but reformatted my pc and lost it even worse i hadn't read it yet - now google won't find it again.
Anyone aware of the history will know its had many owners, its history is a mishmash of guesses. What would be the most well known invasion, writing a story for this and being able to make victory conditions and such is proving difficult as we are unsure.
NAT
Banned
posted 10-03-05 14:33 EST (US)     6 / 24       

Quote:

is anyone aware whether Duke of york seiged Carreg Cennen Castle

I'm not sure, I have just begun to research the castle myself and it does have a complicated history. The fianl siege of the castle is in 1462 when a local lord raised an army to destroy the castle as it had become a 'bandit stronghold' in the Wars of the Roses.

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 10-03-2005 @ 02:34 PM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 10-03-05 14:48 EST (US)     7 / 24       
Would i be correct in saying that is the map you are doing?..... Hmmmm.... well i can't find solid evidence of any major battle. The only info i found is indeed on bandits but i'll keep looking (whys it have to be so hard to get info on this thing!!!.

We have basically finished it apart from a story and victory conditions- we are going all the way and will probably get 3 stronghold maps in (we want that game badly ) but seriously i think it's about time we contributed to the site with another map and what better way to do it than with a trio.
ARTHUS

NAT
Banned
posted 10-03-05 14:52 EST (US)     8 / 24       

Quote:

Would i be correct in saying that is the map you are doing?..... Hmmmm....

I have been wanting to make a Carreg Cennon for ages, now I have a nice chance to I am looking forward to seeing yours eventually as well to see how you have gone around making it.

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 10-03-2005 @ 02:53 PM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 10-04-05 03:20 EST (US)     9 / 24       
If you are not judging perhaps you could playtest it in the future?- we could swap.Considering you can't exactly win anything, we are not competing with one another and it would be great to see how your map has turned out as you know the castle better than anyone .
Just a thought let me know what you think,
Arthus
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 10-04-05 07:24 EST (US)     10 / 24       
Are you doing a seige or invasion NAT?

Ours is an invasion yet we haven't really thought it out

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 10-04-2005 @ 07:24 AM).]

NAT
Banned
posted 10-04-05 07:31 EST (US)     11 / 24       
Havn't decided yet

You will be able to see my interpretation of Cerreg Cennon when the contest has finsihed, it will be uploaded on the site

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 10-04-05 07:33 EST (US)     12 / 24       
oh.... so thats how it is
fair enough game on!
Arthus
NAT
Banned
posted 10-04-05 07:50 EST (US)     13 / 24       
Bring it on

It will be really fun to see what we do differently

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 10-04-05 09:28 EST (US)     14 / 24       
yes it shall. Its a very long wait though and it's a pity you can't really compete, there are many maps by you guys in green that are just great of course DoY and yourself not to mention Kester(even though you are red)-the list goes on.

The good part of having this comp is that it lets us see the new talent, come to think of it apart from Jax what old members will enter? Bismuth is scarce Lord Ako and jalis are hardly ever here, i just can't think of any. Nevertheless i'm sure it will be a fair, tough competition .

Quote:

Bring it on

If thats what you want you'll get it!
Arthus

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 10-05-05 23:24 EST (US)     15 / 24       
Well one of our maps for the comp is complete minus the story and i'd like to get someones opinion on it/playtest. If you are not participating in the contest and would like to help me out could you please leave your email.
Thanks,
Arthus
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 10-11-05 10:30 EST (US)     16 / 24       
Carreg cennen castle is done, now to move on to Conwy - our second map

Quote:

not to mention Kester(even though you are red)-

i guess my previous statement has lost some meaning, yet i still wish you guys created maps - haven't come across a great map in a while with the exception of DOY of course.

Finding the recreation of Conwy a breeze in the park compared to carreg cennen, you sure picked an annoying castle NAT but its a great one!

Arthus

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 10-11-2005 @ 10:34 AM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 10-21-05 10:03 EST (US)     17 / 24       
Hey guys,

I was just curious as to how many people are entering the contest, as we've mentioned we're looking to send in 3 maps at the moment, one is complete(Carreg Cennen) along with two in progress, Conwy and Crac Des Chivaliers.

So far the construction of the crusader fortress has proved the greatest challenge followed my Carreg Cennen and then Conwy which is a fairly simple design, the city however looks to be a time consuming event.

Carreg is an invasion map where you will have to aquire goods as well as take out an enemy lord who seeks the riches in limestone just as you do.

Conwy will also be an invasion map, however we havent quite decided what the objectives will be yet.

The Crac will be a siege where your forces try to smash your way up into the enemies keep and finish him off.
I can see balance being a difficult time as there are so many advantages for the enemy.

I cant wait for you guys to see the finished map, I really think its going to be one of our best, not sure if Arthus is going to help out with crusader terrain, fingers crossed, my skills in this department are well, not as good as my skills with the stone and hammer.

Anyway here are the minimaps of our progress, hope it doesnt give too much away,

WL_D.
Alexus.

Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 10-21-05 16:04 EST (US)     18 / 24       
Hey, those are looking good.

Are you sure you want to put the minimaps up now?

.--.- Kester -.--.
-.--.- deviations .--. flickr .--. gamertag -.--.-
.--.- if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } -.--.
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 10-21-05 16:55 EST (US)     19 / 24       

Quote:

Are you sure you want to put the minimaps up now?

just a snippet
i can't see why not, unless you don't want them up. It can't do too much damage and the minimaps don't tell the whole story . Also My terrain/landscapes are created from books and paintings so i don't beleive people will have the same shapes as in our maps. For instance Conwys river -people will have their own vision or choose not to do it even.

Quote:

not sure if Arthus is going to help out with crusader terrain

well i finish school early November i'll have to practice on crusader first then i'll do it, but only after Conwy!.

Arthus

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 10-21-2005 @ 05:05 PM).]

NAT
Banned
posted 10-25-05 22:38 EST (US)     20 / 24       
Looking impressive WD
- I have nearly finished my Carreg, just a bit more work on the scenery and balancing it.
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 10-26-05 18:39 EST (US)     21 / 24       
Thanks NAT

Progress has slowed, well stoped completely is more accurate, Arthus is busy with school work and Im nevously awaiting the start of final year exams, just one day away for me, then the next step in life begins.

Im sure we will finish all three though, cant wait to see your map as well as the other contestants,

WL_D,
Alexus.

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 11-10-05 08:00 EST (US)     22 / 24       
hmm.. very busy times for us (but i'll talk about me). Exams untill the 18th are cutting my free time to basically nothing. Cisco exams, physics exams, english exams, math methods exams let me go on.... graphics, general advanced math! too much on my plate .
Well i guess your wondering " so?, why post that?" well i fear we won't have 3 maps to submit actually i hope we can enter. Alexus just finished year 12 and so uni forms and interviews are what he has to put up with this month, time just isn't on our side and i fear either conwy or the crusader map will have to die
Conwy gives me a chance to do my terrain yet the crusader map shows Alexus's great castle so maybe we'll have to draw straws
Its a shame we can't get all in if any but we will seriously try,

Arthus

Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 11-10-05 09:55 EST (US)     23 / 24       
Well... I hope you can get at least one entry in

.--.- Kester -.--.
-.--.- deviations .--. flickr .--. gamertag -.--.-
.--.- if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } -.--.
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 11-10-05 23:25 EST (US)     24 / 24       
got one ready (apart from balance and story), just a matter of getting another
I think Conwy will be our choice although i'm not sure yet.

Arthus

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames