You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.84 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » The 3rd Stronghold & Crusader Historical Castle Competition
Bottom
Topic Subject:The 3rd Stronghold & Crusader Historical Castle Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-07-08 13:18 EST (US)         
Calling all Master Masons, Craftsmen, Cartographers and Architects! On behalf of the staff at Stronghold Heaven, I would like to cordially invite you to compete in;

The 3rd Stronghold & Crusader Historical Castle Competition

The 2nd Historical Castle Competition back in 2005 gave you a choice of castles to design. This competition will not restrict you in this way and is specifically designed, to borrow the words of one of our members, to 'test your creativity'. You are free to pick and choose whatever castle you wish!

As with the Fantasy Scenario competition, there are a few guidelines to follow;

-The competition is applicable to players of both the original Stronghold and Crusader. You may submit one Stronghold scenario and one Crusader scenario
-Your entry should be as close in design to your chosen castle as possible, but can only be an invasion or economic map. We want to see a good use of the events within the editor
-You may base any scenario details on historical events if you wish, but we're open to any creative 'What if?' scenarios as well
-I will expect the same attention to detail paid to the landscape modelling as you do with the design of the castle; in other words, you really are being asked to design a complete scenario!
-All scenarios must be new; you cannot use a map that has been publicly announced in the forums as the basis for your entry. You will be automatically disqualified if you use a pre-announced map or if you are found guilty of plagiarism
-You may use a part-completed scenario from your hard drive if you wish, as long as it doesn't contravene the point above

The closing date for all entries will be 29 August 2008, which should give you sufficient time to work at producing your masterpieces!

Question: how will the entries be judged?

Categories (all out of 10);

-Playability (is the scenario fun? Does everything work as it should? If historically-based events are replicated, are they represented well in the editor?)
-Balance (is the map too easy or too hard? Are the win goals or conditions achievable?)
-Creativity (how creative has the designer been overall with the scenario?
-Map Design (overall use of the editor, including events and/or scripting)
-Historical (a bespoke score that attempts to categorise the accuracy of the castle design and its' setting (the surrounding landscape)

You must present to us sufficient evidence to support your castle design. You should try to include (at the very least) a floor plan or a suitable selection of images, photos and/or sketches to reflect the castle layout and design. You do not need to produce a historical write-up and you will not be given additional marks if you decide to provide this.

At present, I will judge all entries and will try to obtain the services of one other to provide a more accurate and fair score.

There will be two winners, one for Stronghold and one for Crusader. The winners will once again have a dedicated page on the site under the competitions tab with a minimap, a screenshot and an introduction to the scenario by the judges. Runners up will have minimaps and judges comments. All maps will have a link allowing forumers to download the completed map (should you choose to share your hard work with us!)

I will attempt to obtain some t-shirts for the winners (which I know are in stock, I might add!)

Please submit your competition entries in the first instance to sulis@heavengames.com. Do not upload your entry to the site until after judging has taken place and the winners announced.

If you have any further questions, please ask away

We wish you all the very best of luck!

Sincerely,

The Stronghold Heaven staff

[This message has been edited by Sulis (edited 05-09-2008 @ 07:43 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 05-07-08 13:34 EST (US)     1 / 84       
Finally. Here it is. And just when Summer vacations were over.

But still... a competition is nice.

I will enter this and this time there is just too much time. I dont think I will have to rush.

Good introductions, Sulis.

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-07-08 13:47 EST (US)     2 / 84       
Yeah!

something for me to work on in the summer, after exams of course

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
ericgolf
Earl
posted 05-07-08 15:58 EST (US)     3 / 84       
This should get those castle builders going! If anyone sees artofmath be sure and let him know about this.
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-07-08 16:03 EST (US)     4 / 84       
Great, this time we're getting a map out and its not going to be rushed... right Alexus?

Any castle we want this time it seems?... thats very nice to hear, we wanted that a couple years back if i recall. Dont stress yourself on finding another judge youve always been the best reviewer on this site and im sure everone will agree with me there.

I have a few in mind, i'll probably have alot more questions in a couple days. Thanks Sulis,
Arthus

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 05-07-2008 @ 04:04 PM).]

AZ ViTrAzhAs
Archer
posted 05-07-08 16:30 EST (US)     5 / 84       
Well the idea seems nice, sadly only historical castles are allowed, as I'm about to finish the third part of my series (a very unusual castle will be seen there). Anyway, thanks for the the given time, I think I'll try to recreate one of the castles I've visited last summer. If I'll find time that is...

Good luck to all the competitors!

Nothing is as easy as it looks. │
Everything takes longer than you think. │
Smile... tomorrow will be worse.
│>>>Murphy's laws
"Now the neighborhood is cracked and torn..." - The Offspring
Stronghold Crusader projects: 300 Spartans, A Sweet Dream, Fathers' Sins, Chapter 1,
Chapter 2, Chapter 3
Knightly_Maps
Archer
posted 05-07-08 17:45 EST (US)     6 / 84       
So, hypothetically speaking, if one competes, does one provide the judge with details of the castle?

What I am getting at, is that we provide details for the castle.
If it is in a book, do we just scan it and upload it?

This competition sounds good, we may compete.

The Anarchist.
Loegaire
OD Core Group
(id: Lord Ap Hywell)
posted 05-07-08 17:57 EST (US)     7 / 84       
Count me in, as soon as I think of something.

On the individual level the response may appear to be a fiction, but fiction in a wider cultural context has a way of appearing to be true.
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-08-08 03:08 EST (US)     8 / 84       
@ Knightly_Maps;

If the only details you have are in a book, then scanned images or plans will be acceptable. Include them in your zip file with your entry to me.

You'll need to be careful that you don't infringe copyright if you wanted to include them in your zip file when you decide to upload the scenario to the downloads section at a later date.
I will enter this and this time there is just too much time. I dont think I will have to rush
Glad to hear you'll have a go, subin I have tried to allow as much time as possible for everyone, and some of you may still have exams to take.
artofmath
Archer
posted 05-08-08 20:03 EST (US)     9 / 84       
It would be nice to have a (somewhat) exhaustive list of all the historical castles which have been done with decent effort. I think it would be a waste to let all our creative juices go into something that's already been finished.

I'm rather partial to making Crusader castles... I might try it.

..."religion is the opium of the masses"... - Karl Marx.
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 05-08-08 20:24 EST (US)     10 / 84       
Ah, another excellent historical castle competition. Its tempting...

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//
artofmath
Archer
posted 05-08-08 20:41 EST (US)     11 / 84       
The only thing I don't like is how we can only make an invasion or a freebuild.

That really limits us as to how we can build our castles, as if the castles are far too... complex, the AI is totally useless.

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-09-08 03:20 EST (US)     12 / 84       
It's true that having a freebuild option would clearly open up the ability to design very intricate castles that aren't affected by the erratic AI behaviour. However, this approach would essentially result in a completely different competition. In order to really test your overall designing skills, I felt that a balance should be struck between recreating a castle and its' setting and a clear use of the events and scripting.

No matter how hard you try, artofmath, you can never please everyone.
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 05-09-08 03:40 EST (US)     13 / 84       
I have got just the castle that will hopefully work well for this competition.

I know this is a dumb and stupid question but I have got to ask.
Sulis, what if two people make the same castle? Would they be disqualified?

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-09-08 03:43 EST (US)     14 / 84       
Absolutely not, subin
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-09-08 04:55 EST (US)     15 / 84       
Well i gather we (alexus and I) can work as a group? if so does that then pave the way for people to work in groups...

if you (the judge) were unaware of a castle or small fortress would it be at a disadvantage to something more popular and better looking?
There are a handful of castle designs that will surely have a better chance then the rest... i'd just like to hear your view on the subject
Historical (a bespoke score that attempts to categorise the accuracy of just the castle design
aww if people cant do some research to get the surrounding right they don't deserve to win, Places like Conwy have changed a great deal but old plans and pictures allow designers to know what it did look like.
If a designer did not place mountains where mountains should be i'd lower marks - same goes for the shape of the terrain.
Mountains dont just disapear same goes for rivers and the ocean

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-09-08 07:33 EST (US)     16 / 84       
Well i gather we (alexus and I) can work as a group? if so does that then pave the way for people to work in groups...
I've no problem with you two working as a group, as you do at the moment Therefore, others can work in groups if they choose (it's only fair). No more than two per group though!
if you (the judge) were unaware of a castle or small fortress would it be at a disadvantage to something more popular and better looking?
There are a handful of castle designs that will surely have a better chance then the rest... i'd just like to hear your view on the subject
I really wouldn't consider a lesser known castle to be a disadvantage. It is true that some castles transfer very well to the SH or Crusader editors and look exceptional if modelled well. It is fair to say that some larger castles could contain more features for you to model, giving an impression of 'bigger is better', or something like that.

You could argue that a rather unknown castle, modelled well, shows a higher degree of creativity. But it really does depend on how well the designer has achieved the end result and i'll be looking purely into the quality of the design (overall), not the popularity or size of the chosen castle. For example (don't go reading too much into this everyone, i'm purely looking at examples!) - a small castle such as Peveril in Derbyshire isn't as elaborate or as well known as Caernarfon in Wales. However, if both castles are designed to appear as realistic as is imaginable within the editor, i'll have a tough job deciding between the two.

Does that make any sense, Arthus? (hope so)
...if people cant do some research to get the surrounding right they don't deserve to win, Places like Conwy have changed a great deal but old plans and pictures allow designers to know what it did look like.
If a designer did not place mountains where mountains should be i'd lower marks - same goes for the shape of the terrain. Mountains dont just disapear same goes for rivers and the ocean
You're absolutely right. I'd be questioning the accuracy of the design if Conwy was half way up a mountain!

I will amend the category for 'Historical' to read:

" a bespoke score that attempts to categorise the accuracy of the castle design and its' setting (or the surrounding landscape)"
artofmath
Archer
posted 05-09-08 16:25 EST (US)     17 / 84       
Aha! I've finally decided on a castle...

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-11-08 16:07 EST (US)     18 / 84       
We have too, its a big one!

Theres already a good example of it on the site but i wont say much else. Before we did some reasearch i dont think either of us realized what a fantastic castle it is, just amazing!

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 05-11-2008 @ 04:08 PM).]

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-13-08 08:03 EST (US)     19 / 84       
That's (potentially) six possible entries so far! Come on, you talented bunch, let's see some more activity! Anyone else thinking about entering?
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-16-08 09:44 EST (US)     20 / 84       
I have an idea for the map which would include some customized sound files, is this ok?

Not for extra marks or aything like that, rather I just need to change some soundfiles around or parts of the scenario won't make sense.

Let us know.

Alexus.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-19-08 08:39 EST (US)     21 / 84       
Sorry for the delay, gents! Customised sound files are absolutely fine, just make sure you give me idiot's instructions on what I need to do in order to listen to them
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-19-08 08:58 EST (US)     22 / 84       
lol no problem

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-28-08 04:09 EST (US)     23 / 84       
*bump*
Needs to attract attention.

As it stands now we'll be submitting a map for both SH and SHC if time permits, definantly for crusader anyway which is kinda odd considering im not too fond of it.
Would be nice to know who else is participating - we need more people!

Arthus

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-28-08 06:20 EST (US)     24 / 84       
I will be participating, after exams...if I can think of a castle!

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-28-08 07:42 EST (US)     25 / 84       
Younghappy, there are hundreds to choose from!! I'm already getting excited about the prospect of playing some high quality scenarios...
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames