You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Stronghold Snapshot Contest
Bottom
Topic Subject:Stronghold Snapshot Contest
artofmath
Archer
posted 06-06-08 20:23 EST (US)         
I have a new idea for a contest.

The point of the competition is to create a perfect 160x160 landscape, which does not have to have accessible parts or be fully functional. It needs only to look good on a full-screen screenshot. You could recreate the Arctic, a portion of death valley, a ridge of volcanoes, an amazon rainforest, etc. Nothing we commonly see in maps, but a true eyecandy map. I don't think SHH has ever had a truly eyecandy - landscape competition before. It'll be both fun and educational for all the designers.

I want to clarify something:

The type of screenshot for the 160x160 map is to be one of the whole map, from individual screens stitched together, so we have a map-sized screenshot. The 160 x 160 size limitation is only to help the competitor make a better landscape and give individual bits more attention, so when push comes to shove, nobody can complain aboust starting two weeks before the deadline and not finishing.

..."religion is the opium of the masses"... - Karl Marx.

[This message has been edited by artofmath (edited 06-08-2008 @ 10:22 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
AZ ViTrAzhAs
Archer
posted 06-07-08 03:24 EST (US)     1 / 10       
Good idea artofmath! Sadly I'm busy with my project, so I don't think I'll have time to create a landscape eyecandy. However, I would like to see other members' work

Nothing is as easy as it looks. │
Everything takes longer than you think. │
Smile... tomorrow will be worse.
│>>>Murphy's laws
"Now the neighborhood is cracked and torn..." - The Offspring
Stronghold Crusader projects: 300 Spartans, A Sweet Dream, Fathers' Sins, Chapter 1,
Chapter 2, Chapter 3
Doomsword
Earl
posted 06-07-08 11:17 EST (US)     2 / 10       
Sounds good to me. \m/

/\.........................../\
/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
/_/./././|||||||||||||\.\.\.\_\
/_/./_/{||||||||||}\_\.\_\
/_/......X..|||..X......\_\
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 06-07-08 12:09 EST (US)     3 / 10       
I was wondering, what if someone made a bigger map, but took several screenshots and combined them together into one big one, similar to ones made by WLD?

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//
artofmath
Archer
posted 06-07-08 15:24 EST (US)     4 / 10       
Souds interesting, I know what you mean - a full-map screenshot. That's what I meant.

I didn't really want this competition to be a real big hassle, just a little thing. The 160x160 size I was talking about was to accomodate the 2,000 stone printing press, which people will probably use to make snowy or wheaty (Hmm... a whole map covered in wheat...) spaces.

Another thing about 160x160 was that I wanted people to make the landscape as natural-looking and as realistic as possible, so I didn't want them to be bogged down with making a whole 400x400 area look good. So there's no excuse for having even as single tile of minimum height grass.

Synyster
Archer
posted 06-07-08 23:02 EST (US)     5 / 10       
Sounds like a great idea!

"Curiosity will not cause us to die- only lack of it will.
Never to want to see the other side of the hill,
or that improbable country beyond where living is idyll, would kill us.
Only the curious have, if they live, a tale to tell." - Alastair Reid

Trouble in Paradise - St. Peter's Basilica -
The Flooded Lands - Ghost Town
MNICY
Archer
posted 06-07-08 23:18 EST (US)     6 / 10       
I was wondering, what if someone made a bigger map, but took several screenshots and combined them together into one big one, similar to ones made by WLD?
I think that this should be allowed, but not taken into account when choosing the winner.

Lords: Conquest - Medieval MMOG
"Come to think of it, how many people CAN fit on a pike?" -artofmath
"How to kill the Rat: Build 20 Horse archers and 10 swords men. Laugh at him." -Lord Michael I
artofmath
Archer
posted 06-08-08 10:15 EST (US)     7 / 10       
I want to clarify something:

The type of screenshot for the 160x160 map is to be one of the whole map, from individual screens stitched together, so we have a map-sized screenshot. As I say again, the 160 x 160 size limitation is only to help the competitor make a better landscape and give individual bits more attention, so when push comes to shove, nobody can complain aboust starting two weeks before the deadline and not finishing.

Who is interested in this? I'll take down some names. I'll put up a deadline for submissions if there is enough interest.

[This message has been edited by artofmath (edited 06-08-2008 @ 10:23 AM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 06-08-08 11:22 EST (US)     8 / 10       
You should wait, we already have an offical comp up and running - i'd hate for attention to be put elsewhere.

While im up for it (if i can do a 400by400) all my efforts are being put towards the competition thats already running

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
artofmath
Archer
posted 06-08-08 11:33 EST (US)     9 / 10       
Ahh... all right. I'll probably put up a deadline when the current competition is within 1 or 2 weeks of finishing.

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 06-23-08 07:52 EST (US)     10 / 10       
I do like the idea though, artofmath
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames