You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Issues
Moderated by Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Technical Issues » Stronghold 2 / Stronghold Legends FPS Bug
Bottom
Topic Subject:Stronghold 2 / Stronghold Legends FPS Bug
Akitoru
Archer
posted 07-17-15 17:53 EST (US)         
Hello,

I bought The Stronghold Collection and I have some bug with my FPS in Stronghold 2 and Stronghold Legends. If I set game speed for example to 50 I will also have constant 50 FPS. SO this means my game speed = FPS. If I put game speed at 10 I also have 10 FPS. But I want the normal game speed and high FPS.
Please help !
AuthorReplies:
PAlAT
Archer
posted 07-19-15 12:49 EST (US)     1 / 8       
That sure is one weird bug. AFAIK I've never had that issue before. Are you sure you're not misinterpreting anything? For example, do you get any lag if you pan the camera around? Also, FPS isn't a hard number, it usually alternates so I don't see how it could be tied to something as different as a gameplay setting.

Would love to help, but you might want to post your specs or something.

Akitoru
Archer
posted 07-19-15 12:57 EST (US)     2 / 8       
Hi thanks for your answer I have Win 7 Gtx 660 i5 4570@ 3,2 Ghz and 8 Gb ram.For example if I set game speed at 90 I also get smooth 90 Fps. I don't know how to solve this bug.
PAlAT
Archer
posted 07-19-15 13:50 EST (US)     3 / 8       
Does it lag visibly when you scroll the screen though? Or are you reading from an FPS counter? It could be a compatibility issue, as SH2 and SHL are old games, but I don't think it is based on your specs.

You could try installing the game on another computer or laptop if you have one, see if the same thing happens. If it does, then it's probably a bug that nobody ever managed to fix. I remember I had a few bad experiences when I played SH2 a while ago, though I don't have my disk with me atm, so I unfortunately I can't check. Hope I helped as much as possible.

Akitoru
Archer
posted 07-19-15 15:21 EST (US)     4 / 8       
Hi im using fraps and my fps = the set gaming speed in the settings.If it helps I installed both stronghold 2 and legends from "The Stronghold Collection". I tried everything and still got the problem .
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 07-21-15 08:25 EST (US)     5 / 8       
Hi, Akitoru, and welcome to Stronghold Heaven. I also have fraps installed and Stronghold 2, so I will test it today, and I will let you know of the result. If everything moves smoothly, and only the number in the corner is moving around 10, then it would be something related to fraps as well, or something related to Stronghold on the other hand... I shall see.

Also sorry for writing here without trying anything first, but I wanted to let you know that I will see how it works on my PC.
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 07-21-15 15:24 EST (US)     6 / 8       
It has been several hours so I am making a new message here.

I just tried the same thing you described, and yes, in my case fraps said that fps was 10 when gamespeed was reduced to 10. I guess that it is just the way it works when it is about Stronghold 2. FPS normally goes around 40 - even in game speed faster than 40, but in slower game speed FPS is approximately equal to game that game speed.

I believe that Firefly intentionally made it like this, and mostly because "it works", which is the case here. It's not like FPS drop in some games followed worse responsiveness - Stronghold 2 works great, and everything responds just as usual - the only thing here one wouldn't like is that the game does have lower FPS which can be seen.

Still, I wouldn't call this an issue, Firefly gave us ability to slow down the game so we would be able to do stuff we need to do while fighting against AI lords, and those of us who slow the time down care more about the gameplay than about this thing which we wouldn't notice at all if there weren't tools such as fraps. It is noticeable, but I could have played ten more years this game and I wouldn't notice a thing.
Akitoru
Archer
posted 07-21-15 18:23 EST (US)     7 / 8       
Hi EaglePrince, thank you for your detailed answer. As for the 40 FPS thing... Im used to play with 60 fps+ for many years now and 40 fps seems very laggy for me so I would like to find a solution for this without having a high set game speed

[This message has been edited by Akitoru (edited 07-21-2015 @ 06:23 PM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 07-22-15 01:59 EST (US)     8 / 8       
Unfortunately I haven't found a way to do that. Maybe you could try setting frequency to highest possible, though I don't believe this would do the job.

I also find it really interesting that you notice the difference between 60 and 40 fps. Maybe that just comes after playing more games in 60 fps (which seems to be a standard nowadays), but maybe it's just that some of us are not able to notice that difference.

I'd also like to say that many don't play Stronghold, Stronghold Crusader and Stronghold 2 in game speed 40 - they play it in game speed 50, as that makes the game more dynamic while it's still not too fast and it looks natural as well. In your case, 50 is closer to 60.

I realize that I wasn't much helpful with these, and I am sorry for that. I was like "hey, it's just the way it is, but yes - you could set game speed to higher, although you said you didn't want to do that". Nevertheless, setting game to 50 could indeed make things more interesting because weapons would be produced faster, etc... while combat could stay just as fun and not too fast - it is also hard to see the difference at first.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames