Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Technical Issues » Runtime Error
Bottom
Topic Subject:Runtime Error
FreedomPuppy
Archer
posted 10-14-18 13:26 EST (US)         
After installing the patches, my Stronghold refuses to start itself. It comes up with the following message

"MICROSOFT Visual C+++ Runtime Library

Program: G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Stronghold2\Stronghold2.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I've tried reinstalling it, moving it to a different drive, repatching it (which doesn't work anymore because I patched it years ago, and now it says I'm missing the deluxe edition), reinstalling with my anti-virus disabled, repairing several Microsoft Visual C+++ programs, or reinstalling them.

At this point I'm desperate and will try anything to get this game to work.
AuthorReplies:
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 10-14-18 15:20 EST (US)     1 / 3       
This is Steam version of the game, and therefore it doesn't need to be patched manually. It gets the latest patch automatically. Maybe you could verify integrity of game files within the Steam app when the game was installed through Steam.

I would try to backup all my files (maps, cfg files, saves, etc.), then uninstall the game by cleaning everything, and then try to download and install it again through Steam.

If that doesn't help, you can even contact Firefly Support.

Hey, but before trying anything else, here's what I've found at Firefly Support.
If you are experiencing a Runtime Error Issue in Stronghold 2 which leads to a crash please follow the instruction below:
-Go to the following location in your documents folder: C:\Users\<USER>\Documents\Stronghold 2
-(Backup save games). Delete all content in the location above
-Start Stronghold 2
(the source)
FreedomPuppy
Archer
posted 10-14-18 15:43 EST (US)     2 / 3       
Oh Lord. People still use this place, thank the gods. And I've tried all of that already. I've used that firefly support thing with deleting content, but that didn't work. I'll try to write a support ticket now.

EDIT: I got it fixed. It's the most stupid and unimaginable issue I could've thought of.

Solution for people in the future that messed up like me:

"Some problems can be caused by your computer not being able to read or write to the default profile directory. In order to workaround this problem we have created a system to manually set a new profile directory path.

To change the profile directory path edit the options_override.xml file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stronghold 2, or within located within your own custom installed directory.
The file contains a single parameter:
To change the directory, edit the file so that the path to the new directory in which you want to save is between the quotations. When using this option, a new "Stronghold 2" directory will be created in the directory specified i.e. if you specify "c:\users\documents\games" then the game will create a "c:\users\documents\games\Stronghold 2" directory if it doesn't already exist.
WARNING: Be very careful! The game will attempt to read and write files from the specified directory. Use at your own risk!

To use the default directory, leave it blank or delete the options_override.xml file
PLEASE NOTE: Steam Cloud will NOT work if you use an override path. Steam Cloud only works with the Documents\Stronghold 2 folder."

[This message has been edited by FreedomPuppy (edited 10-15-2018 @ 11:44 AM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 10-20-18 06:21 EST (US)     3 / 3       
Glad you made it, and thanks for sharing info with us on how you fixed this issue!

And yes, there are still few of us patrolling this area.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames