You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.57 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » Community interview
Bottom
Topic Subject:Community interview
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Dougleass
Archer
posted 08-08-07 15:24 EST (US)         
This is an interview template, and if you have time and the will, answer them. I thought it could be really fun to see how other people work. lord_yoshi made interviews with some designers, and this time, anyone can answer.
There are only 12 questions, so it won't take much time, and some are optional, because I know certain people doesn't like talking about that.
I might change or add some questions in the future.
Original interview by lord_yoshi that I was inspired by.

1. Let's start with a rather basic question, how did you find your beloved game Stronghold?

2. How much time to you spend making a map, split up in the sections: designing and playtesting?

3. Do you often make extensive research? Or do you start making a map really quite randomly without any plan?

4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For instance the color templates, 2000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them? Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs!

5. What's more important to you, quantity or quality of map(s) and why? (A stupid question to some, for some it's not)

6. If you had to choose what to make, would you create a fun map or a good looking map, and why?

7. How many maps do you submit in a year in average, and how many reviews do you write in a year in average?

8. Whats your favourite type of game to play, and to make? Invasion, Seige, etc? Why?

9. Do you prefer small castles or larger ones, like cities and such?

10. What/who is your favorite
food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

11.(optional) Who's your favorite map designer?

12.(optional) Which map on SH is your favorite map?

Check out Rome, Duomo, Troy, and Ghost.
Also, check out my campaign! First chapter, second, third, fourth, and the fifth chapter.

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 08-15-2007 @ 05:10 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Shir Shpamalot
Archer
posted 08-08-07 16:06 EST (US)     1 / 57       
1. Let's start with a rather basic question, how did you find your beloved game Stronghold?
BARGAIN BIN AT GAME STATION

2. How much time to you spend making a map, split up in the sections: designing and playtesting?
Designing - 24+ Hours
Playtesting - Me 1+ Hour Others - 5+ Hours

3. Do you often make extensive research? Or do you start making a map really quite randomly without any plan?
Quite Randomly is better. With a plan, you do something, and you don't like it. Then your screwed. If its a random map, then you can make anything, and you can adjust the story/scripting.

4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For an instance the color templates, 1000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them? Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs!
I have experimented on The magic eraser, TRIED To use lowerd walls, but that didn't work. I've used the Yellow Troops map, by Earl Listibald (i Think). 1000 stones, is actually 2000 Stones. And No. 20 to 0 was used in a test map.

5. What's more important to you, quantity or quality of map(s) and why?
Quantity Is good if they're 3.5+ But good quality maps can be everything. Then again, you don't need a high quality map, for a good rating. Good playability and an Extensive story. Just as long as the Map design isn't That

6. If you had to choose what to add on your map, would you create a fun map or a good looking map, and why?
a Fun Map. Like i Stated Above.

7. How many maps do you submit in a year in average, and how many reviews do you write in a year in average?
I Haven't Excatly been Here a Year.

8. What/who is your favorite
food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

Food would be apples. Because i can exploit them and feed the 5000
Unit would be a tie between Spearmen (They're so Cheap! 100 gold and 10 wood for workshop. and 8 gold for them actual training. They use 1 wood plank per Spear! ) and the Archer. (ranged Troop. Therefore it rocks.)
Villain - The Snake. Hes quite fun. and even gave us 20 spearmen and 20 archers. His Tactics are intresting.
Popularity - Food. Apples And Apples And Apples And Apples And Meat And APPLES! Sell The Apples For hops. use the meat to feed people. I'm screwed if there isn't Applefarms or Deer.

9. Whats your favourite type of game to play, and to make? Invasion, Seige, etc?
An ecovasion is my choice. Holding off the snakes troops while gathering 100 cheese. Just bliss.

10. Do you prefer small castles or larger ones, like cities or such?
I prefer to make small castles, as i can focus a little more on the terrain and make that look nicer, and i don't have to do the dreaded lowering of walls to make paths. Yet i do love big city invasions. Its just the feel of Having a Humungus castle, and defending against an equally big invasion. rome was a great example of this

A Tie between several people. UnikUnok, His intesting siege battles. Warlord_designs for the Amazing Map quality and stories. And Battle mage corp, for the new Balagrian Maps.

My Favourite map would be WL_D's The Ourea. ITs a freebuild and your Green

There ya Go Doug.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles" - Sun Tzu.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Jean-Paul Sartre

[This message has been edited by Shir Shpamalot (edited 08-10-2007 @ 07:46 AM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 08-08-07 17:12 EST (US)     2 / 57       
By watching Alexus play it, he found it in the store just by chance i beleive and because it had castles he bought it.
or something like that it has been 6 years so im a little forgetful

Too long, all things going (without bugs) 3 months. Designing takes the bulk of it followed by balance and story writing in a few weeks.

Always have a plan - Always. We often sketch out what we plan to create, go out and find books on the subject, download maps here at SHH to get ideas and talk to each other to get a result we are both happy with.

4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For an instance the color templates, 1000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them?
Only templates we use are the colour templates and no we dont make any - maps are more important

Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs!
Yep, alot more than our current maps show - our next map will show off a few secrets that havent been seen before i think i'd better leave it at that!

Quality, of course. When you are like us and only create 3-4 maps a year quality is everything and i think the community would rather quality over quantity - i could make a map in a day but it wouldnt live up to standards. We strive to be the best and with the quality bar set so high by designers these days, spending time is essential if you want the community to even look at your map.

6. If you had to choose what to add on your map, would you create a fun map or a good looking map, and why?
Good looking because personally i look at maps more than i play them - to me visuals have always been the most important thing. I have a few maps that have been in development but because the minimap looks bad we saw it fit to stop development. Anyone can make a "fun" map but there are only a handful that will actually spend the time to make a great looking senario - hopefully we achieve this to some degree.

3-4 maps i guess would be an average these days
Probably 30+ a year i imagine although im not really sure.

food? Bread
unit? Archer
villain? The PIG!
way to get popularity?
Use everything at my disposal but normally i just get em drunk and place "good things" to raise combat skills - nothing like a drunk pumped up archer

9.(optional) Who's your favorite map designer?
Ive got a list of which designers i keep tabs on
im not about to single out 1 name.

10.(optional) Which map on SH is your favorite map?
Well if i told you, that would answer the question above wouldnt it?

There you go, the workings of my brain for all to see...
Arthus

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
Sir Ravenclaw
Archer
posted 08-08-07 17:55 EST (US)     3 / 57       

I found Stronghold after watching my Dad play it.. I just fell in love with it afterwards

Depends, it could range from a day or two, to a whole freakin' month or two

I useally just make a map as my imagination see's fit. I might start off with say a keep with some fancy eye-candy around it.. I plan about then with features of the map.. ie. rivers, mountains, eye-candy and sometimes even the scripting

4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For an instance the color templates, 1000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them? Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs!

My eye-candy.. I useally overload my maps with it I sometimes think about using the 2,000 trick, just that I'm kinda inexpierienced with it..
I'm kinda adept at the magic eraser, I know alot about it and can create some very unique designs using it.
I've only downloaded the 20 up from 0 template today, so I don't have much to comment on about that

I'm more focused on the quality.. but for campaigns I find it better to release in bulks (like my Lands of Stirn campaign), still focusing on quality.. but saving maps for controlled release dates.

I useally try to make fun maps, but also make the maps good-looking too.. balanced eye-candy and scenery, while maintaning good balance and playability.

Maps: I'm not sure.. about 12 or so. On and off.
Reviews: Again, not sure.. as much as I can :/

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

Food: Bread - easy to manage and produce, can feed large population.
Unit: Pikemen - heavy armor and can tear down walls quickly!
Villain: Ericgolf Nah, the Wolf - he can be very taunting and annoying
Way to get popularity: Ale - good ol' merry ale!

Me!

It would be my map - A Growing Hamlet V1.2

A nice interview
ericgolf
Earl
posted 08-08-07 19:02 EST (US)     4 / 57       
Villain: Ericgolf
Was that due to my diabolical laughter in the Evil Dogs thread?

Er..

I suppose I have to anwser the quesions now :P

Oh well...
I think I spotted it while browsing through Amazon.
It is getting longer each time I make a map (I have not made that many). Depends on whether I am on holiday or not too. Last map I finished took 7 months from the time I started but I spent long spells in procrastination. I would actually love to do more procrastinating but I can't seem to get round to it... Or sometimes I just don't do any designing atall. The majority of my maps are PYOK. I mix all activities in together. I sometimes make a prototype map to try things out before starting the actual map. I terrain a bit and then do some testing to see if the terrain is working out and that requires a nacent script. Sometimes the AI behaviour causes me to add something to the story to complement it or weave the map's nature into the story. I write bits of story or documentation as I go too. Documenting makes for a good break from terraining and is easier on the mouse finger. Playtesting always seems to take forever. Maybe I over-test them and tweek them too much.
I do always have a plan or at least a concept for the map before I start. (I can see the topography in my head if you like, or I know what I want to happen in the map)
I have used Earl Listibald's black colour cede template for La Muerte Negra. (And the blue cede template). I have not used it but I think UnikUnok's 20up template will be useful for many maps. I do my own 2000 stones.
It depends. As a player sometimes I just want a simple, quick, fun map and I am not too fussed how it looks. Ofcourse if a map is all those things and looks good too then all the better. As for making maps, well, as I said already I have not made many...
Fun (or Playability/Balance) is most important. The player should have fun.
Let me just consult the site stats.... 6 maps (inc my comp map) since April 2004 looks like 1 every 6 months but I had a year away from Stronghold so that is more like 1 every 5 months. But one map was just an eco verion of an invasion map and so does not really count so maybe it is 1 every 6 months. And sorry folks, my reviews have been a bit thin on the ground lately - I have not been playing enough.
food? bread
unit? x-bow
villain? Pig
way to get popularity? Ale and food- and lot of it because I can be very cruel! - *More diabolical laughter*
Lord Ako - All those amazing ideas getting Stronghold to do amazing things.
I enjoy playing several of Duke of York's PYOK maps and I scored his Catterick Castle 5.0 in a review. (the only map to get that score from me)

Now you might be saying "How can Lord Ako be fave designer and DOY's maps and Catterick Castle be his fave map?" Well, as a player, I enjoy DOY's maps - almost all of them ( I haven't cracked Yellow Devil yet)- and I like building - a lot of DOY's maps allow that. With Lord Ako's maps it is just the sheer off-the-wall wild concepts in the maps - you know - like in The Ice Age and Meteor Crater - You start playing them and you think "what the heck do I do here?" - and its like learning Stronghold all over again.
Edit:
I suppose, then, really I have two favourite designers

Edit:
Answers to the new extra questions:
8. Whats your favourite type of game to play, and to make? Invasion, Seige, etc?
Invasions (I tend not to play much else except economics.)
9. Do you prefer small castles or larger ones, like cities or such?
Small. But I really prefer no castle at all, i.e. a place-your-keep map, so I can build my own

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Lugm Campaign Contribute a Review

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 08-11-2007 @ 11:28 AM).]

Dougleass
Archer
posted 08-08-07 20:09 EST (US)     5 / 57       
It's wonderful to see 4 replies already!
I've edited a few things in the interview just so you know, but it's no big things.

My friend showed it to me. A year later I borrowed the game, and I still have it today lol. I think i've had it like 2,5 years now.

Rome tops my list I think, I worked with it for 4 months. Overall, I think I work 2-3 months with a map. Some can be made in less than 1 month though sometimes.

Again, Rome tops my list. Now when think back on it, it was CRAZY! I went to my school library and borrowed 4 fact books about Rome and read everyone. I also watched Gladiator, and I downloaded it to get screenshots.
But that's really the only map where I did research though...
Fact is, I do start rather randomly. I have one basic idea in mind, and I develop that idea throughout the creation of the map.

4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For an instance the color templates, 2000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them? Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs!
I've downloaded all of the utilities that i've mentioned actually, but I find myself not using them, atleast yet. I've never used the 2000 stones trick, or the magic eraser. I love the lowered wall trick though, I use that all the time.

Definately quality. No one wants a bad map, so I really don't pick quantiy.

6. If you had to choose what to make, would you create a fun map or a good looking map, and why?
I really don't know, a good map has both... I suppose a fun map, but without any good map design, it really doesn't work.

I thought it'd be like 3, but it's somewhere around 6. And reviews must be around 11.

food?Bread. Not easy, but fun to make.
unit?Knight. Fast and powerful!
villain?The Snake. Sneaky and evil!
way to get popularity?Either food or flowers!

Hands down Warlords Designs. Always an inspiration.

Minas Tirith by Warlords Design. It was the map that started my own map designing, I was just blown away!

Later added questions:
8. Whats your favourite type of game to play, and to make? Invasion, Seige, etc?
I prefer to both play and design Invasion maps.

I don't know, I like to make bigger cities because they are fun to make, and it's a big thing to do... but I also like making smaller cities, and playing them too... I probably don't make much sense...lol

Also, check out my campaign! First chapter, second, third, fourth, and the fifth chapter.

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 08-09-2007 @ 03:08 PM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 08-08-07 21:11 EST (US)     6 / 57       
It's wonderful to see 4 replies already!
Thats because bringing this back was a fantastic idea Dougleass, great job!
We really do appreciate the mentions guys, makes map making worth while and it broke us out of a very short retirement

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 08-08-2007 @ 09:17 PM).]

Tammo VII
Archer
posted 08-08-07 21:54 EST (US)     7 / 57       

Got it from a friend at school.

3/4 designing and 1/4 playtesting ... three to four weeks overall, working mostly for a few hours in the evening each day.

I make them randomly most of the time. I do research mostly for the story, place names, character names, and such. I like making fictional maps, maps based on real castles dont intrigue me too much.

4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For an instance the color templates, 2000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them? Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs!

Ive used the color templates map before, but recently i have switched to editing the color with a hex editor. Ive used the PNG utitity as well ... but then, who doesnt As far as eye candy goes, I do lowered wall on occasion, but I dislike doing it, so not much. Usually its just for a mile marker on a road, or a short fence, or a small fountain. Other than that, my eye candy is limited to bridges and changing player colors. On a map that I never released (i dont think it turned out too well) i made a river with a series of three dams and aqueducts that diverted the water blocked by the dams into a large industrial city ... that was alot of lowered walls, very tedious, very long ... i didnt enjoy it too much. All in all, I'd rather make a stunning landscape and a fun gameplay experience than spread eye candy in every corner.

Quality. One good map is better and more fun to play and see than ten thousand crappy ones.

A fun map ... first off, as I stated above, I dislike making lots of eyecandy in every map. Second, as a player, I would rather have a fun game than one where I sit around looking at the eye candy more than playing :lol:

HA! Ive never written a review (my computer is too slow and low on memory to download too many maps), and Ive only ever submitted two maps ... Bludhaven (which turned out okay, but never got a review ) and The Leven Wars for my contest map ... and I believe I joined here in ... er ... April, perhaps?

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

I prefer to use bread, for once the proces of harvesting, milling, and baking is established, if you have the right amount of each building, and its proportional to the population, you can just about forget your food supply and devote your attention to other matters.

The Knights are my favourite units ... speedy and tough, I use them whenever I can. For a taste of this, check out my competition map, when it comes out

I like the Pig the best ... throwing large numbers of troops in to run over the enemy ... its a threat if you're attacked at the beginning of the scenario, but its laughably easy to control him the further the game goes on

Probably Warlord_Desgins I love looking at landscapes, its one of my favourite things to look at on maps, and IMO, the landscapes created by this pair are completely and entirely unbeatable

Probably the Movie Based Helm's Deep - Redux by talos_911 .. its sooooo very accurate and the way the Rohirrim appear is nothing short of genius.
Timballisto
Archer
posted 08-08-07 23:36 EST (US)     8 / 57       

I was in a hospital once. They had a game magazine. I had never seen a game like this before, I mean it had walls and you could actually put your guys ON the walls...THAT sounded really, REALLY cool. So later I saw it at Best Buy and asked if I could have it. I got it in exchange for a chore - delivering envelopes to several mailboxes along our street in windy winter weather...it was well worth it!

Uh....most of the time it will vary. On average I'd say it's about 30% first design, 55% playtesting, 5% re-design.

Research? Nope, almost never. Every map I've made is original in its landscape and scenario - I've never made any sort of historically accurate map. What I end up doing usually isn't random though. For most maps the whole idea pops into my head at once, or in a very rapid succession of ideas that usually takes less than a minute.

The thing I use most often is the color template, sometimes the cede template, never the 2000 stones, as I make my own every time I do that. I do not know what the 20 to 0 map is. I have experimented with magic eraser, but not through a template. The one time I used the green color template was a map where you were the outlaws attacking a giant castle. The cede template maps remain unreleased, either because they ran into technical difficulties or something else random.

...I don't know why quantity would even be a factor. For food or something weird like that, sure, okay, so there's a balance. 80 mediocre oranges will be better than 1 really good orange in the long run. But Stronghold maps aren't like food. There's no reason to make lots and lots of maps, that's just going out for DL's, not making maps that people will really enjoy (although sometimes DL's and that go hand-in-hand...SoS ch. 5: good ratings, lots of DL's). So I'm not worried about how many maps I make, so I'd say quality. I work until whatever I'm working on feels done.

That's a weird question, because a good looking map can have that as part of why it's fun, but, I think I'd rather make a fun map. Fun maps are, well...more fun. Stronghold can be an art form, but foremost, it's a game. Still, the art half of it can be taken to a great extent with lots of patience and time.

Reviews a year probably are 1.5 or so, maybe more. Maps submitted are about 3 I guess.

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

Food - Uh...Bread, as far as functionality goes.
Unit - Tie between archer and spearman.
Villain - The Rat. That guy is so funny.
Popularity - Pile on the food, oh yeah.

-DOOMBRINGER-
"DOOMBRINGER, make a parking space IMMEDIATELY!"
"DOOMBRINGER declares it to be SO!"
"DOOMBRINGER, I command you to lay siege to THE ISS!"
artofmath
Archer
posted 08-09-07 00:20 EST (US)     9 / 57       

I downloaded the demo, and a friend gave the game to me. Quite kind of him, he included Crusader.

I usually spend about 20 hours designing, and usually 15 hours playtesting, with few exceptions.

I make them randomly! I don't like to make historical castles, as they just bore me.

I have used almost NO utilities, except for one, which I got off Stronghold Knights. It beats all. All I have to say is that the best maps are made with those templates. The only eyecandy I use get as complex as lowered walls, palistone walls, and (rarely) magic eraser.

Eh. Quality is the most important. To me, a 4.8 - 5.0 map is worth more than 10 3.5 - 4.5 maps. However, if you could combine the two, that would be great.

I would create a fun map. They are actually functional, and they don't take forever to make because of all the excessive eyecandy.

I really don't know. I have drought season and monsoon season. Currently, monsoon. :P

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

Food: Bread. with 3 farms, you can feed a population of 70 peasants on full rations, while only taking up some 15 population. Not possible with other ones.

Unit: I have two. Ranged unit is crossbowmen, as are the best archers in the game for sheer power, toughness, though they can be a bit slow. Favorite melee unit are pikemen. Through various maps, I have learned the full value of pikemen, and are dead useful, not only for attacking, but can dig moat, AND can permanently block off parts off broken wall.

Villain: The Pig. He uses macemen excellently, his siege weapons are better controlled than all other Ais, and his personality!

Way to get popularity: ALE!!! Make your peasants drunk, and they won't give a damn. Plus, you can sustain a population with only 2 farms, LOL.

Unikunok for sheer numbers of eyecandy and siege maps, but All round, Warlord_Designs.

Hmm... toughie. I say that as long as they are good, I like them equally.

..."religion is the opium of the masses"... - Karl Marx.
Battle Mage corp
Archer
posted 08-09-07 03:23 EST (US)     10 / 57       
I first got a demo version of crusader and wanted to buy the full game but my father accidently got the wrong game-Stronghold 1

It depends on the map If there is more terraining then it probably takes about six or seven days.

No research is 50% of the entire map I couldn't start without any plans or info on the castle.

Well most of my maps have 2000 stones but I don't use them to create eyecandy I use them to block paths.And it's rather anoying because the smallest stone size doesn't work the enemy passes over it so one should place a bigger rock and delete a section of it with grass and it becomes impassible.I think that the recent 20 up from 0 from UU has been a very good edition to the utilities and I've already used it.

I think quality is more important just because you spend more time to make something worth playing.

Definately a good map because even if I play a very good looking map which is super tough I have fun with it and I think that everyone plays in such way.

Well I have been here for less than two months so I can't answer this.

food-meat
unit-maceman
villain-Rat (dunno why-just funny)
way to get popularity-ale

With no doubt WL_D I think that both of them do a terrific job and I only hope that they will keep posting awesome maps.

My favourite is Conwy Castle by WL_D it's just so well made and the castle looks so awesome I just love it.

P.S. SS Thanks for the comments I didn't think that someone would like our work so early.

If it's a doze it's a doze, if it's life it's life, the evironment can never be bliss. Author: Luben Karavelov.
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 08-09-07 04:11 EST (US)     11 / 57       
My favourite is Conwy Castle by WL_D
i wont tell you how long we spent on that map but its quite funny, it was rushed for a competition so im suprised you like it

Thanks for the mention guys, i think because people seem to be listing their favorite designer i might have a hard think and edit my post with a few names - i cant think of 1 person who i admire above a large group of talented members

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 08-09-2007 @ 04:15 AM).]

Dragons Rider
Archer
posted 08-09-07 04:30 EST (US)     12 / 57       
Found a copy of the demo on a really old CD, really loved it. Mentioned to my friend, got me a copy for my birthday and one for himself. He still plays it.

Devote almost all the time to the design of the map, which will result in a good looking map, but a rather unorganised army. (Which I believe will not happen in my upcoming one, but with me luck...).

Never done a single sentence. I will often cobble together thoughts and ideas I had during the day like, "what about a haunted swamp?" or " Why not a Himalayan height tower smack in the middle?". Rather ludicrous but it pulls off somehow.

I must confess, I've never used any of those utilities, nor the magic eraser. I am a devout worshipper of wooden forts and all that I do is to help everyone turn to them for buildings instead of that horrible looking stone! Wood looks much more neat and elegant. I have dabbled in water and ice, but I am not very good at it.

Good grief, what a silly question. People will appreciate the time and effort more if your consistent and thourough. One good quality map which you play about 10 times is time spent better than playing 10 hopeless maps which are a waste of time. Whenever I conisder releasing a map, I end up not, because I think "You can do better than this!".

Well I'd end making a good looking one, but the only way I'd release was as an eyecandy.

Well I've submitted five this far, and I've been a bit over half a year, so I would have to say 8 or 9 possibly?
As for reviews....26 so far, intending to make 50 by the end of a year.

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?
Cheese, very reliable source of food.
The engineer, an integrable part of any siege, and the pikeman, for its great all-rounding skills.
The Wolf, because I just think he looks so cool.

Somewhat like asking "Which of your children is your favourite". Impossible to pick from Warlords Designs, Sulis and UnikUnok.

A time between Warlords Edoras and Sulis's Secrets of Slyvandell chp 5

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
Robert Orben
Battle Mage corp
Archer
posted 08-09-07 04:38 EST (US)     13 / 57       
Hahah Right but I don't see why it's such a surprise for you Conwy Castle is really nicely made and has lots of downloaders.

Morbid Angel

If it's a doze it's a doze, if it's life it's life, the evironment can never be bliss. Author: Luben Karavelov.
Dougleass
Archer
posted 08-09-07 10:10 EST (US)     14 / 57       
"5. What's more important to you, quantity or quality of map(s) and why?
Good grief, what a silly question."

heh, I guess it really is... but I remember that Yoshi's(I'm still not sure it was him) interview had a similar question, and there seem to be a few map designers who make several bad quality maps than few good maps. So I thought I'd just add it, and see which members should be banned and which ones could stay. XD
Some people seem to ignore this question "favorite way to get popularity?"... why is that?

It's great to see so many replies, and thanks WD for the compliment. I've read everything!
If anyone has any ideas for more questions I might add them for future replies, and perhaps people already answered, will add them(?).

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 08-09-2007 @ 10:14 AM).]

Shir Shpamalot
Archer
posted 08-09-07 14:43 EST (US)     15 / 57       
Some questions for you Doug

11. Whats your favourite type of game? Invasion, Seige, ect?

12. Do you prefer Small castles, or Larger Ones?

Maybe you could use them?

Regards,
SS

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles" - Sun Tzu.
Dougleass
Archer
posted 08-09-07 15:30 EST (US)     16 / 57       
Those are great, i've added them already. Thanks Shpamalot.

Shir Shpamalot
Archer
posted 08-10-07 07:39 EST (US)     17 / 57       
Your welcome

Regards
SS

Riskyman
Archer
posted 08-11-07 11:04 EST (US)     18 / 57       
Let's start with a rather basic question, how did you find your beloved game Stronghold?
----------------------------------------------------
I found stronghold at target for $10

---------------------------------------------------
Most of my maps only take a couple of hours to make, even that big city on my old name.

-----------------------------------------------------
On historical castles I'll do some research, I've only done one so far, but the rest is from my head.

-------------------------------------------------------
I awlways start my maps from scratch but I might be using the 20 up from 0 soon. My most used eye candy is the lowered walls which is the only on I really use.

5. What's more important to you, quantity or quality of map(s) and why? (A stupid question to some, for some it's not)
---------------------------------------------------------
I prefer quality over quantity. I rather get a 4.0 for a map the 2.5's or less for a bunch of maps.

---------------------------------------------------------
I would do a fun map because thats what gaming is all about.

------------------------------------------------------
So far on this name and my old one, about 5-7, it's going to be about 9 once I release the Citadel and Campaign map four when I can release it.

--------------------------------------------------------
I usually perefer invasions but I'm getting more into seiges because of lesss scripting.

-------------------------------------------------------
I prefer large castles as they are more fun to defend

food?-Bread
unit?-The Lord
villain?-The Snake
way to get popularity?-Ale

--------------------------------------------------
I don't really have a favorite, as long as someone makes a good map that I like and had fun with I'll be happy.

12.(optional) Which map on SH is your favorite map
I'm not sure, haven't been on the campagin since I was 13, but for player made maps its Sulis's Secrets of Slyvandell chp 5.

Riskyman the old Keith691

[This message has been edited by Riskyman (edited 08-11-2007 @ 11:05 AM).]

ericgolf
Earl
posted 08-11-07 13:05 EST (US)     19 / 57       
I have added the extra two questions to my response in post #4

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Lugm Campaign Contribute a Review
Alien Lord92
Archer
posted 08-13-07 11:03 EST (US)     20 / 57       
-Dad bought :P

-Hmm.It depends. Usually i make personal maps made in about 30 mins. Maps submitted here uses something like 2 weeks to month
A little playtest

-Randomly

-No to all

-Quality. I don't like maps thats has lot of plain area. When i make a map i just must fill every single plain area that is more than 30x30 tiles.

-Good looking. Don't know why

-Haven't been even a year here. Now i have posted 3.

-Invasion to both

-Large ones

food?Bread
unit?Crossbowman
villain?Snake
way to get popularity?Food

-WL_D

As the enemies armies grow, so must yours.
http://Stronghold.wikia.com Stronghold Wiki

Alien Lord92

[This message has been edited by Alien Lord92 (edited 10-20-2007 @ 07:00 AM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 08-13-07 11:53 EST (US)     21 / 57       
thanks for the mention, means alot to us having guys around that appreciate our work

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Lord Karpathea
Archer
posted 08-13-07 12:11 EST (US)     22 / 57       
1. Let's start with a rather basic question, how did you find your beloved game Stronghold? Well. That's quite strange actually. A friend of mine had cancer and he sold it to me to raise money for treatment.....it cost me three times what it would have at a store, but it was to help him. Seriously. It's not a joke.

2. How much time to you spend making a map, split up in the sections: designing and playtesting? Days to weeks, depending on the map.

3. Do you often make extensive research? Or do you start making a map really quite randomly without any plan? Research. And I usually plan it out as well.

4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For an instance the color templates, 2000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them? Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs! I use some of the utilites, but for the most part I experiment on your own. That's how the utilities came to be in the first place.

Quality. Any idiot can make a hundred maps in three days, they just won't be any good.

6. If you had to choose what to make, would you create a fun map or a good looking map, and why? Good looking. I always go for the look of a map.

7. How many maps do you submit in a year in average, and how many reviews do you write in a year in average? Definitely more reviews than maps.....I'd have to say

8. Whats your favourite type of game to play, and to make? Invasion, Seige, etc? Invasions.

9. Do you prefer small castles or larger ones, like cities or such? Smaller. Easier to defend.

food? apples
unit? macemen
villain? the rat...just because he's funny.
way to get popularity? Balance between ale and +Fear factor.

11.(optional) Who's your favorite map designer? There are many designers who have made terrific maps in the past, so it's very hard to decide. The vote goes to Lord Ako in the end, mostly for his Viking maps.

12.(optional) Which map on SH is your favorite map? Secrets Of Sylvandell 5 by Sulis
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

The leaders of men long dead command the fate of those not born.
SimRPGplayer
Archer
posted 08-14-07 00:38 EST (US)     23 / 57       
1. I first saw it at a Wal-Mart, I assume when it first came out as it was around $30. I was currently without monies though as I was with a friend and young. Maybe a year later I saw it again in a different Wal-mart, bundled with Tropico, for $10. I remember being interested in it earlier and it seemed like a deal not to be passed up.

2. Designing: A couple years it seems like right now. Mostly because I'm not playing Stronghold very much anymore, if at all.
Playtesting: Once I get past this stage, I'll let you know Designing is too much fun that I usually leave one map ready for playtesting to go design another one. Explains why I have so very few maps out.

3. Extensive research, no. I'm usually too lazy for that. I'll do the odd bit here and there though. I usually sit down and start playing around with the editor, a plan emerging as I do so.

4. I almost always use a color and apple forest template. The magic eraser? What's that?

5. Quality. I'd much rather "perfect" one map than have 42 bajillion subperfect maps. Especially since bajillion is not a number.

6. Good looking. It would be easier for me.

7. Maps: 0. Reviews: 0 iono. I haven't played the last couple years.

8. Invasions to make and play. Sieges can be pretty sweet, as UnikUnok has shown us, but invasions give you so many more options, as both a designer and player.

9. Honestly, I prefer small castles in idyllic landscape. But all castles can be amazingly cool, and often are.

10. *Shrimp *Light-year *Sephiroth *Dancing
Pertaining to Stronghold, *Apples *Macemen *Snake *Carnival

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
Revian
Archer
posted 08-14-07 07:36 EST (US)     24 / 57       

Bought it for like a fiver at a second hand games shop

About 1-2 hours making, and then about 10 hours on the rest

Start randomly usually don't get good results though

I'm new so i haven't had a chance to yet

Quality but I'm not too good at it

Fun, i prefer the enjoyment of the game to the good designs.

None at the moment

Invasion because you could have lots of enemies attackin your castle over and over again. It's a great challenge

Smaller because there's less walls to defend.

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

Food: meat
Unit: Crossbowman
Villain: The Wolf
Way to get popularity:Lots of food
Younghappy
Archer
posted 08-15-07 08:38 EST (US)     25 / 57       
I was on a School trip to Belfast in 2003 and we stopped at a large shopping centre. I went into "Game" and looked through some cheap games and I saw Take 2: Stronghold sitting there, it looked quite appealing so I bought it. At this time I didn't have my own computer so I played it on my brother's computer when he went out for flute lessons. I only started makeing real maps in March last year when I discovered this website.

The map's design could take me a week to complete.
Scripting takes along time (a couple of days) and playtesting takes even longer. I'm not going to begin any new maps until I get my current back-log cleared up!

Yes I make alot of research, you should see my Internet bookmarks, there are countless Dalriada related articles, pictures, plans...
For Troy I even went to Youtube just to get a glimpse of the walls, then I took screen prints.
For my competition map, I studied alot of pictures of the "Flow Country" of norhtern Scotland.

I have used the Cede template once or twice and I have used the colour template a couple of times. I havn't used the more recent ones such as the 20 clicks up as IO havn't started a new map since then.

Definately quality, I couldn't imagine releasing a substandard map.

Well I'd go for a good looking map, but I would try to mix in lots of fun elements as I did for my competition map. I think Sulis and Unik Unok have been the major pioneers in this category, especially with all the wee challenges you have to do in the Bretwaldia maps!!

I havn't yet released a map this year as I have been busy since Chistmas time with revison, mocks, coursework, revision then real exams. I do hope to release a good few for the end of this year, I will have at least four ones this year and hopefully I will also get all the Dalriada maps completed!

Nearly every time I go for an eco-invasion, it offers the most variety in game play imo. Though I have been trying to add different aspects to this such as my Burghead map where you have one monk and you have to sneak past dozens of troops and find a secret entrence to the keep to kill (or convert in story line) the king!

9. Do you prefer small castles or larger ones, like cities or such?This is a difficult one...I enjoy creating the landscapes more so than castle and city builing, so small castles are preferable to make. But sometimes a big city looks alot more impressive, that's why I made Troy!

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

Food: Bread, it takes a while to get running but it fills the granary alot quicker than the other ones

Unit: Macemen ftw!! They are quick good attackers and fairly strong. They give the impression of getting the job done quickly!

Villain: The Pig, gives the impression of being a ruthless enemy who wants to demolish your whole castle and kingdom for the fun of it. As a lord, you would want to protect your castle more from the pig rather than the snake. The snake might only want to take over your castle and run it himself, maybe a deal could be made.

Popularity: Food is the important one to keep up at all times. I like to throw in a few inns and churches.

My biggest inspiration has been Warlord Designs. Possibly my favourite too but I have alot more inspirations such as Dougleass for city design...

For a full on scary seige, WlDS' Minas Tirith is my favourite!

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins

[This message has been edited by Younghappy (edited 08-15-2007 @ 08:43 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames