You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.57 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » Community interview
Bottom
Topic Subject:Community interview
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Dougleass
Archer
posted 08-08-07 15:24 EST (US)         
This is an interview template, and if you have time and the will, answer them. I thought it could be really fun to see how other people work. lord_yoshi made interviews with some designers, and this time, anyone can answer.
There are only 12 questions, so it won't take much time, and some are optional, because I know certain people doesn't like talking about that.
I might change or add some questions in the future.
Original interview by lord_yoshi that I was inspired by.

1. Let's start with a rather basic question, how did you find your beloved game Stronghold?

2. How much time to you spend making a map, split up in the sections: designing and playtesting?

3. Do you often make extensive research? Or do you start making a map really quite randomly without any plan?

4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For instance the color templates, 2000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them? Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs!

5. What's more important to you, quantity or quality of map(s) and why? (A stupid question to some, for some it's not)

6. If you had to choose what to make, would you create a fun map or a good looking map, and why?

7. How many maps do you submit in a year in average, and how many reviews do you write in a year in average?

8. Whats your favourite type of game to play, and to make? Invasion, Seige, etc? Why?

9. Do you prefer small castles or larger ones, like cities and such?

10. What/who is your favorite
food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

11.(optional) Who's your favorite map designer?

12.(optional) Which map on SH is your favorite map?

Check out Rome, Duomo, Troy, and Ghost.
Also, check out my campaign! First chapter, second, third, fourth, and the fifth chapter.

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 08-15-2007 @ 05:10 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 12-11-10 01:05 EST (US)     51 / 57       
Thanks for the mention

It is so nice to read that people still enjoy our maps.
SkullHeroLord
Archer
posted 01-23-11 07:17 EST (US)     52 / 57       
1. Let's start with a rather basic question, how did you find your beloved game Stronghold?

One of my frends gave it to me,i am playing it since then.

2. How much time to you spend making a map, split up in the sections: designing and playtesting?

Around 1-4 hours.

3. Do you often make extensive research? Or do you start making a map really quite randomly without any plan?

It depends,sometimes i make them at random,somtimes i have a plan.

4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For instance the color templates, 2000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them? Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs!

No,i don't use these utilities,and my eyecandy is mainly focused on moutians.

5. What's more important to you, quantity or quality of map(s) and why? (A stupid question to some, for some it's not)

Both.

6. If you had to choose what to make, would you create a fun map or a good looking map, and why?

I woud create a balance betwen the two,it is best that way.

7. How many maps do you submit in a year in average, and how many reviews do you write in a year in average?

...I don't know

8. Whats your favourite type of game to play, and to make? Invasion, Seige, etc? Why?

Invasions,pure invasions,when you command a army and have to sige a castle.

I perfer larger ones.

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

Bread,it feeds most people in town.
Hmmm...Maceman.Why?They are fast,and strong.
Wolf,he has a good castle,and i like the way he talks
All ways possible,and then i tax the hell out of my people.

Lord of hell,Warlord desines,and few others.

There are a lot of them
skurill
Archer
posted 08-28-12 09:51 EST (US)     53 / 57       
Let's start with a rather basic question, how did you find your beloved game Stronghold?

I donít know exactly, may be 2005, may be 2006. Since this time, I play it after pauses again and again, but I was always interested in developing castles and getting them destroyed ;-)) I was never so interested in the stratetic part of the game. The first, original game is the best resource for castle-building , because only here you can combine elements without dificulty. Already it was in Crusader more difficult, and the following games didnít make it easier. In my opinion, stronghold 3 is thrash.

I have a special concept of a developing history. I donít save every new map, I use always the first and original map, which is always changing. Castles are more fortified with the next generation, or they are destroyed and rebuild. Even the landscape changes, because the people uses up the ressources, and there are sometimes natural desasters too. And the story doesníT end with the destroyed castle, even a ruin has a developing history.

So I need 2 or 3 days for a complete map,

Meanwhile I uses bluprints and floorplans of castle ruins, because you get on one side the idea for real castles , but you have on the other side enough free space for own developments.
Besides: You canít create with SH real historical castles, because this is a english game with typical english architecture, and the castles looks therefore always like castles of Wales or the Midlands, but donít represent spanish, german, or other european castles.

No. Most of the tricks are at last graphic bugs, and you canít delte them. Try it, for example, with the wooden bridge. It is not possible. As I always uses the orignal map, it would be disturbing. I use little eye- candies, but not often, for the same reason of the often changing map. Working a day for one candy, which will be destroyed in the next map? No.

As I never made maps to upload them, it is only important, that the castle might be looking interesting. And quantity? After ten years, I have about 50 castles, all in several stages of development. Need I really more quantity?

Good looking, of course.

Both isnít important.

My style are simulations, which connects different types, oconomical, siege, and invasions.

If you want to use historical floorplans und want create working impressive castles, they have to be larger. Besides, the cites arenít in the most cases no cities, they are castle settlements, the beginning of a city. The structure of a real city is more than you can create with SH.
SuperKevMLG
Archer
posted 10-05-15 09:47 EST (US)     54 / 57       
This is an interview template, and if you have time and the will, answer them. I thought it could be really fun to see how other people work. lord_yoshi made interviews with some designers, and this time, anyone can answer.
There are only 12 questions, so it won't take much time, and some are optional, because I know certain people doesn't like talking about that.
I might change or add some questions in the future.
Original interview by lord_yoshi that I was inspired by.

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

StormyG7
Archer
posted 03-29-16 01:40 EST (US)     55 / 57       
1. My grandfather played Stronghold (The Original). I believe it was on the Windows 98. I now own a Macbook Pro and all the Stronghold games, having played them on and off for most of my life.

2. I spend around 10-20 hours designing maps, 3-4 play testing them. I usually don't finish and split up my time making maps over many days.

3. I often start with a barebones idea for a map, and it evolves and changes as I work it out and test it.

4. I missed out on most of the utilities, not having had internet growing up and just recently started modding and looking at other resources. For eye candy, I typically mold a city/castle into the landscape. I place environmental objects rocks along the walls and add bushes growing along a river moat (with fjords for access). I wish there was a way to use arches and also, to make walls get penetrated with holes instead of just knocked down.

5. I've felt quantity vs. quality of maps hasn't been a real issue since I can have both with access to the modding community's maps. I would ratio it 2, quality to 1, quantity.

6. I prefer a fun map. I enjoy making good looking maps, but I will always sacrifice looks for fun. Ultimately, I want a map I can play.

7. I've only just now joined the community.

8. I enjoy playing the skirmish maps the best, hence my love of the Stronghold Europe mod so I have more variety outside of the desert for fancy looking maps.

9. As a kid, bigger = better. Now, I prefer a modest castle, rarely do I like a massive castle. For a city map, I have an idea to create a skirmish which takes place entirely along a cityscape.

10. Favs

Food: Bread, I don't even need farms, I can usually sell enough iron or stone to buy wheat and keep a large population fed cheap.

Unit:

a. For tactics, the fire ballista and horse archer combo make an overwhelmingly efficient combo, sadly leaving me few other options. I usually don't bother with a castle, I just dig a large moat, post some towers and gatehouses with crossbowmen and then sell all iron and stone for a larger army. I've often just sat around in a skirmish with around 50 fire ballistae and 200 horse archers invincible as hordes of knights get shot down, then the horse archers go out in large numbers clearing the walls and ruining the economy. The ballistae light the town on fire and mow down armies in large numbers.

b. For fun, the knights, I hex edited all the units so that they all have around 6x more HP to make the battles last longer and to make non-ranged units work better in large numbers.

Villian: The Wolf, all of them are easy enough because they don't recruit bigger armies or flood their defenses with more troops as the game progresses. They maintain whatever they got, but at least the wolf produces a large castle for a fun siege.

Way to get popularity: I just keep the economy going and don't tax unless I have enough variety of food for a low tax. I usually can sell stone and iron for all my gold and then during sieges or big attacks I quickly build a bunch of happy fear factor buildings for the duration of the attack to boost my troops strength, then delete them so my economy returns to normal, unless it's big enough just to keep them without a significant drop to production.
Doomsword
Earl
posted 03-29-16 09:28 EST (US)     56 / 57       
My grandfather played Stronghold (The Original).
lol, you're funny.

Welcome grasshopper, at the bottom of the sub-forum pages where it show the list of threads you might be browsing and the search feature, there is a box that says "go back 'x' days", type 'all' to see them all, there is plenty to read about modding Stronghold games.

/\.........................../\
/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
/_/./././|||||||||||||\.\.\.\_\
/_/./_/{||||||||||}\_\.\_\
/_/......X..|||..X......\_\
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 03-29-16 15:57 EST (US)     57 / 57       
Well, yes, and I thought I was funny as my whole family plays Stronghold. I sometimes play with my mother, though in our case it is she who learned about the game from me and my brother.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames