You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Crusader, Warchest, & Extreme: General Discussion & Help
Moderated by peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Crusader, Warchest, & Extreme: General Discussion & Help » [HELP] How to edit stronghold .exe?
Bottom
Topic Subject:[HELP] How to edit stronghold .exe?
Mariokas
Archer
posted 12-17-17 11:33 EST (US)         
FIrst of all hello everybody. I wanted to know how to allow more voice lines for certain characters like (Swordsman) etc. And also edit the trail And.. the unit health. Appearently these can be edited only in stronghold.exe file. How do acess it? How do i edit it? I assume with hex editor?
AuthorReplies:
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 12-17-17 12:58 EST (US)     1 / 14       
Maybe you would like to check some of the existing Stronghold Crusader mods, such as G.M.B, or Stronghold Europe.

Now when it comes to what can be edited, from what I know, one could edit some stuff, i.e. some attributes, including health of units I suppose, but when it comes to adding some stuff, that appears to be very difficult. If not impossible. For example, I would also love to see 600x600 maps, but none have managed to achieve something like that.

I think you should be able to edit the exe with Notepad++. At least I think I was told Notepad++ can do the work by one of the makers of Stronghold Europe mod. But that ain't easy, and when it comes to how... I could give you no help with that.

And I think that Firefly doesn't actually approve editing their exe files, although they did approve Stronghold Europe.
Mariokas
Archer
posted 12-18-17 07:07 EST (US)     2 / 14       
Thank you, Eagle. I have been making an a new voiceover work mod. And i was just wondering about making some changes to it.
EDIT: Notepad++ wont work with the .exe. However i will take a peek at the other mods. I might see something useful.

[This message has been edited by Mariokas (edited 12-18-2017 @ 07:13 AM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 12-18-17 07:50 EST (US)     3 / 14       
Replacing old voices with some new ones should definitely be something possible to do.

Well, that explains why I didn't make it to edit the exe file. I guess I didn't understand Teutonen Ritter well about that then.

What I was trying to do back then was to replace bodies of knights and swordsmen in Stronghold Crusader with bodies from Stronghold 1. But besides me failing to edit the exe file, that still appears to be like really a lot of work. These stuff are being stored in those gif files I think (or some similar format), and I think that I needed to change those information telling from which to which frame is the swordsmen attacking, from which to which frame is he walking, etc. I don't want to talk you into doing that, I'm just saying what was what I wanted to do... And for that I would need more time than I have.

[This message has been edited by EaglePrince (edited 12-18-2017 @ 07:57 AM).]

Mariokas
Archer
posted 12-18-17 11:39 EST (US)     4 / 14       
Oooh. I tried swapping slaves for fire eater jesters but i didint understand something and once i "saved" the gifs they were corrupted or something. I tried that before with no success also haha. I think i used the old version of gif editor on the toolbox

I indeed found something useful in both mods. I think the guy ment editing the "help" file where you need to use notepad++ to edit that. And that was very useful, as i need to credit my voice actors for their work of course!
The gmb mod has managed making the map size smaller however not bigger. However it is still very wonky.

And, i found out that the health indeed is in .exe file and to edit you need to have hex editor which is an complex tool. However i'm not 100% certain about the crusader trail. I'll be editing some simple stuff. I really wish there were more stuff to edit without extreme difficulty or atleast an tutorial. But kudos to whoever made those two mods. (That includes you haha)
EDIT2: Is it also possible to edit skin color? I liked blue more than red. Permentantly not in one game

[This message has been edited by Mariokas (edited 12-18-2017 @ 01:33 PM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 12-18-17 16:05 EST (US)     5 / 14       
You might want to check out this place. There you could find two of creators of Stronghold Europe. Don't be confused with "Medieval England", Stronghold Europe and Stronghold Medieval England is the same mod, but because of some misunderstanding it got split into two. (One of them kept working on the mod without knowledge of the original creators. They both contributed the mod very much! One as being an original creators, and the other one as improving it further, and making it more playable for everybody by translating it to German and English.) Later they seem to have decided to keep the mod under one roof as "Stronghold Europe".

You would want to talk to Lord Stronghold there, and to CyberCorpse. Those are the guys!

Haha... Well, we might have been speaking in German, and well, my German ist sehr schlecht.

When it comes to default player color... According to what Lord Valroy did in GMB mod, I think this should be possible. If I'm not mistaken, he somehow introduced a way to change the player color each time before a game, and that should be more challenging to do than "simply" changing the default color. Only I don't know how. But there you go, it should be possible, and we know who managed to do something similar to what you want.

And I didn't make these any of these mods, nor I was a part of a team. I just tried to help the best way I could. Made few shields for Stronghold Europe (which could be downloaded from Stronghold Europe website), and stuff like that. And promised some minor stuff to Teutonen Ritter (Lord Stronghold) few years ago, which I still haven't finished.
Mariokas
Archer
posted 12-19-17 06:47 EST (US)     6 / 14       
OK. So i have found this guy http://www.moddb.com/members/cybercorpse/mods is this him? About the second one im not sure if he is even around.
2nd Would they even would bother helping me?
3rd Ha, i know some german as i'm taking german classes but i'm not very good at it like you haha.

I love stronghold crusader it's my childhood so i wanted to make an considerable mod. The new trail would make the game fresh the blue color would bring the old stronghold 1 exeperience. The voices just for fun. Diffrent backgrounds also would give an amazing asthetic that i'm working on currently. However beiing an 15yo boy and going to school stuffs like this is not an easy task to do. But i will get to the bottom of this. Again thank you Eagle! You are very useful

Edit: found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtXHsqJ70pY Showing how to change color permentantly. OOps, only for one map. Still will work for now. But would be better if i could find a better way

[This message has been edited by Mariokas (edited 12-19-2017 @ 09:28 AM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 12-19-17 13:54 EST (US)     7 / 14       
Yup, that's him.

And yes, you can contact both of them. Try by looking for them at Stronghold Nation forum. That might be the best option, as there you can find both of them, CyberCorpse, and Lord Stronghold/Lord Lowenherz/Teutonen Ritter... As you can see, he has a lot of names here. You can speak to both of them English though.
Mariokas
Archer
posted 12-19-17 13:58 EST (US)     8 / 14       
I sent an message on his "Stronghold Europe" mod wall. On moddb. Not sure if he will respond. He DID however login shorty after i sent the message. I linked him to this post so maybe he will come and say hi
I will register to that forum but what subject do i post? Or should i private message the other guy? Great to hear that they can speak english. Hopefully atleast one would respond haha

[This message has been edited by Mariokas (edited 12-19-2017 @ 02:08 PM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 12-19-17 14:52 EST (US)     9 / 14       
I would try contacting them in this forum thread. They've both been posting in this thread, and I suppose they would get an email notification of your message from you in the thread. Just do it in a way by not making an off topic post there, it's a thread about Stronghold Europe.

If that doesn't work, then you can try sending them a personal message there.
Mariokas
Archer
posted 12-20-17 07:54 EST (US)     10 / 14       
Will do.
Right now i have found out that there's only two colors you REALLY can change into, blue/red the reason is because the game is made from stronghold 1 so this is just a leftover but all the other colors never were main games colors so you have to replace other colors too be black or green or any other color. But i like blue so that will work for me haha.
EDIT:
After toying around with G.M.B Mod i see what he did. So he has some sort of hex program that edits all the maps that are mentioned in the maps.txt automaticly. A lot easier than doiing with a hand.

[This message has been edited by Mariokas (edited 12-20-2017 @ 09:59 AM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 12-20-17 15:21 EST (US)     11 / 14       
Haha, admit it, you don't want to be red because red is too feminine for you. (Just kidding. )

Some of the tools can even be found in Stronghold Heaven downloads section. I don't know if there is a tool for this, but I do know about some helpful stuff such as SHC map PNGer, AIV Editor (which is used for editing castle layouts for AI lords), etc. But don't know about a tool that would change the colors.

I do know that there are ways, as you mentioned, to change player color, in a specific map, but... That ain't perfect either, as you're being red on the minimap, and black (for example) in the game. Though there may be a way to change to the color on both places, on the minimap, and in the game itself...
Mariokas
Archer
posted 01-01-18 11:57 EST (US)     12 / 14       
Ha, i just like blue more
Yeah, changing colors is all possible only to red and blue other colors CAN BE too but.. you will have two same colors in game as you have to replace the other color for the minimap. With red and blue there is connection so you can easily swap them.

G.M.B Mod uses hex editing tool to automaticly detect maps in map folder and it uses the same method above, thats why you cant change to other colors aside blue/red. Though G.M.B Tool is very useful i been using it to quickly swap red to blue colors. Without touching anything. Pretty good for now.

Now back to topic! I have been digging a lot and working hard on stronghold mod and well nothing too new to say for now but maybe you could assist me a little bit?
Could you say in your honest opinion on scale from 1/10 how strong/good the AI opponents are in game? Im making an edit that the descriptions would be a little bit helpful to players.

2nd Do you think replacing some old stronghold music with some original pieces would be an a good idea?

[This message has been edited by Mariokas (edited 01-01-2018 @ 12:01 PM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 01-01-18 15:28 EST (US)     13 / 14       
I'd say AI lords in Stronghold Crusader are pretty tough! Considering the fact that making a smart AI for a Stronghold game is way harder job to do then in Age of Empires for example. In Age of Empires it only needs to build up its colony/town, build an army, defend themselves when attacked, and attack when has enough troops. Simple as that. In Stronghold it is far far more complicated (no need to explain why), and considering that Firefly has done really good job in Stronghold Crusader, although we can find some ways how could they be even stronger, such as - make them so they would put more troops onto their castles.

But, if you give them advantage, take less gold for yourself, then they grow strong enough to pose quite a challenge. Yes, we can easily outsmart them, their attacks are often frustratingly inefficient, but if you decide not to play dirty on them, then it can be an interesting fight.

Also, their attacks are obviously much more effective against human players than against other AI players. Try watching them fighting one against the other, and you'll see tons of situations where one could finish the other, but decides to walk away just to destroy one more woodcutter. That doesn't happen with human players so much mostly because AI lords have better multitasking than us, and when we build, we build, and when we fight, we fight. More or less.

Having that in mind, I'd give them 7/10. It is far from perfect, but yet, Firefly has done an outstanding job with AI lords.
Mariokas
Archer
posted 01-01-18 17:01 EST (US)     14 / 14       
Thanks i agree. I will put your information to good use

On other note i found an interesting russian stronghold crusader forum by accident.
http://stronghold.ucoz.net/forum/
I will try and check out if any useful info is there, (GOOGLE TRANSLATE IS MY FRIEND) not really good at russian haha.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames