You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: The Map Room
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: The Map Room » Scary Christmas and a bad new year! - The bad guys
Bottom
Topic Subject:Scary Christmas and a bad new year! - The bad guys
Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 03-06-13 13:02 EST (US)         
Greetings, Lords and Ladies! First of all, of course, I hope you all had a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

But in my newest map for Stronghold 1, “The Bad Guys”, you’ll be turning the local people’s winter time into a real nightmare. In this map, which is kind of a colourful mix, a lot of different aspects are combined to provide you a new, exciting challenge to master.
This scenario is kind of a puzzle game. You’ll have to solve most (but not all) of the puzzles in order to be able to win the game.
Moreover, you’ll have to have your eyes everywhere in order not to miss something important, as you have to split your troops in the beginning, and later your economy is spread out over a large area and you have to search for wolf packs.
Both fighting and economical micromanagement skills are required for winning, but without solving the puzzles these alone won’t lead you to victory.
Thus, the game might be quite frustrating if you get stuck. Thus I will include a big bunch of hints. Obviously, one should only read them if he gets stuck, because the hints may spoil a lot of the gameplay. But due to the complexity of the scenario, I couldn’t figure a good arrangement of the hints yet.
Furthermore, as a special extra I have made a list of achievements. I did not actually implement a kind of “checking mechanism” ingame to control what achievements you got, but they might be a nice little extra challenge for the brave ones out there that can beat the main game.
Some of them will be rather funny, but a few of them may cause you some extra headache on top of the struggle for the regular mission objectives. Have at least a short look at them anyways, as some might help you fulfil the main objectives.

This map is a civil war scenario, highlighting – as the title already suggests – ‘bad guys’.
Moreover, when there are ‘the bad guys’, probably black silhouettes in the dark, one also automatically thinks of the opposite: The good guys – bright white heroes, coming to fight the evil forces. But the world of Stronghold is not only black and white – there are many colors! So, who are the good guys – and what is ‘good’ at all? ‘We’? ‘The others’?
Quite unclear in a civil war. And in this case, that phrase has several meanings: On the one hand, of course, we have the civil war constellation Duke (Truffe) vs. his King (Edward Wulffen), but there’s also a big lot of rivalry and hostility between Truffe and De Puce / Beauregard, who turn against their former ally.
On the other hand, in this scenario you’ll actually really wage war against a civil settlement and fight against hordes of peasants and workers (who strike back a lot harder than you may expect). In this special constellation and with the order to decimate the local population, also the meanings of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ events turn around: Fear nothing more than bards and travelling fairs and welcome bandits as your allies – if you helped them before.
Last but not least, the irascible Truffe also tends to send troops towards you – to enforce an early fulfilment of your tasks – that can get quite angry if you are too slow...
In these troubled times, between economic struggle, survival in the wolvy wilderness and hectic fights in this cursed valley, one must beat the hostile armies and solve a bag full of riddles to be victorious in the end.

Current Minimap:
(state of 11-26-2012)

The map is not completely finished yet, but most of it is done.
I would be really thankful for some playtesters (experienced players, as this mission is relatively hard and special), as I have had almost no time to work/test on it in the last months.
@interested testers: Just post an answer here, or mail me (see profile), and I'll send over the most up-to-date testing version of the map as well as the story and hints file.

More pictures will follow soon, if there is any interest for them.

PS: Has anyone else had any contact with "teleporting" woodcutters and hunters yet?

Ever expect the unexpected!
Life is a row of mistakes, but avoiding them will not make life shorter!
Every kind of biological life is egoistical, but the human race is the only known one that successfully manages to destroy the living room of its own descendants.

Some of my better creations: The Ancient Knight, Ain Ebel Warfare, United AIV, Dark Skies over Al'Shareed

[This message has been edited by Heroesflorian (edited 03-06-2013 @ 03:06 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
peter2008
Knight
posted 03-06-13 16:14 EST (US)     1 / 21       
Oh, there still is a big project for SH1. Sounds tricky and fun and looks atmospheric.

Christmas concerns while we are facing spring time? Ah, that project already required and will require a long wind.

I am back on SHH, and would like to offer you some help playtesting your creation by trial and error and sharing my impressions.

As for the teleporting of raw materials, you may try an old SH1 eco map, UFO II - Power of the UFO, by lord_yoshi.

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 03-06-13 18:53 EST (US)     2 / 21       
Hey, Peter you're finally back? good to know. Welcome back!

Well, yes, it is a bit late for christmas... ...but the map still takes place in winter and features some snow.

So, if you are willing to playtest the map, thanks in advance. I just have to check a bit, what the right files are etc., as I didn't really work at it since new year (sadly to busy...).
So, in the next 2 days or so I'll send the necessary files to you if that's ok?

I don't only talk about teleportation of raw materials, but also of... well... lets call it "manpower"... more info soon.

Edit #1:
Here some more info:
Not only can workers teleport their stuff into the stockpile when it is unreachable, but they also can teleport themselves.

Situation: On the mainland with the keep, there are no trees or deer. In the lake, on an island, there are plenty of both. And there are two engineers who stranded with their boat. But that doesn't help our workers, right?

Now, I just disbanded the engineers, they turned into peasants (what a surprise! ). And I set the hunter building to sleep.

Next, I turned it to work again. And with some luck (or if most of the other peasants are busy as other workers at the moment), the former engineer gets chosen to be the new hunter. As he has access to deer, he begins to hunt.

As soon as he collects his prey, he teleports to his house, turns the deer into meat, teleports back to where he was (the island), and while standing there, transfers/teleports the meat into the granary (no picture there, I was to slow there). Then, he just shoots the next deer, making him a very efficient source of food. On top of that he must never fear hostile melee soldiers - they can NEVER reach him! And if the island is far enough away, he must not even fear hostile arrows.

Now, the same principle also works for other workers, e.g. woodcutters. Only difference is tree/deer, of course.

Also e.g. weapon makers can use this principle, and will never ever leave their houses again for visiting stockpile or armoury.
Instead they will just teleport the needed resources right to their house and the weapons right into the armoury, spending 99% of their time with actually crafting new weapons, making their lives much safer (no death through disease, fires or hostile troops while walking around!) and more productive.

(Probably it also works for buildings like bakery, brewery, inn, mill, and maybe it could even be used for some farms somehow, but I didn't test these buildings yet.)

This is all based on the fact, that peasants don't have to be able to reach their houses. The only thing that matters is if the house can be reached from the keep location.
You may ask, what is actually the difference between this and the basic teleportation of raw materials into or from the stockpile?
First of all, its not only to/from stockpile, but also to granary and armoury. Secondly, not only goods are "teleported", but also the workers. Thirdly, the workers get even more productive this way, and more important: They don't walk around any more between different buildings whilst or in between of working, as they teleport themselves instead of walking. And woodcutters reappear where they stood the last time while cutting a tree, so they only have to walk at all, when the current tree is completely depleted, and the walking distance is just a few tiles or so to the next tree.

Of course, this could be considered as kind of cheating in a normal game, but the mechanics could be used in scenarios. E.g. several groups of "trapped" soldiers / peasants that can access resources that are not reachable from the keep, but can't leave their respective areas, and the player has to manage them, or protect them from hostile ranged units (otherwise some resources get completely inaccessible -> win-condition not fulfilable). Or a map that consists of several unconnected islands or is divided by a big mountain or... and has some starting troops on each part, and some hostile troops are on each part. Then the player must choose what units to disband at what time for accessing local resources, and what units to keep for guarding them and/or reaching some military goals. Of course, this could be further expanded with signposts in each area... Or one could use invisible troops to make it harder for the player to find his "potential peasants". Another use might be increasing efficiency of prebuilt ai-settlements, and making it a lot harder to kill the ai's workers.

By the way, did anyone already experiment with magically erased signposts?
I did, and I like them. They are invisible, making them very good for an unexpected twist, where the player doesn't expect it. ... oh, wait... of course, the player doesn't expect it, as it is unexpected... but you hopefully know what I mean :S
Moreover, they don't prohibit building in their surrounding. So, the player can build there, and the buildings don't get auto-destroyed (as editor pre-placed buildings around normal signposts would) with the first invasion event.
Furthermore, the player can influence that signpost by walling it in or placing buildings on top of it (if he figures out its location, and the terrain there is suitable for building). This will make any invasions search for other signposts on the map to appear there instead. (Similar to regular signposts that can't access the keep because of water, rocks or something else.)
So, all in all, invisible signposts provide some new possibilities...

Edit #2:
Should I split the topic and put all that other stuff there maybe? :S

Every kind of biological life is egoistical, but the human race is the only known one that successfully manages to destroy the living room of its own descendants.

Some of my better creations: The Ancient Knight, Ain Ebel Warfare, United AIV, Dark Skies over Al'Shareed

[This message has been edited by Heroesflorian (edited 03-07-2013 @ 04:50 PM).]

UnikUnok
Archer
posted 03-08-13 01:18 EST (US)     3 / 21       
As far as teleporting workers/materials go. Obviously, I have used this trick in any of my maps with working stone masons.

Also however, in answer to your query, during the making of Henn Dommen, I found that the physical connection between Fletcher, Armory and Stockpile on that map caused immediate production and storage of crossbows if normal access was denied!

This merely confirms your findings! Hope that helps you!

Magic Signposts: No!, FANTASTIC!

Edit #2: YES! WAY too much information for one tutorial thread.

Tutorials please!
UU

'And they that shall be of thee shall build up the old waste places; thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breach, the restorer of paths to dwell in' - Isaiah

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 03-08-2013 @ 02:19 AM).]

DavidSpy
Archer
posted 03-09-13 01:22 EST (US)     4 / 21       
I did some tests with the teleporting peasants. It appears that they don't work for farms such as the apple, hops, cheese, and wheat farms.

I also tried it on Crusader but it doesn't work on that game which greatly diminishes the odds of such a trick being used to exploit gameplay.

Like Stronghold Kingdoms? Check out Stronghold Kingdoms Strategy where I post new game walkthroughs and videos.
ericgolf
Earl
posted 03-09-13 16:41 EST (US)     5 / 21       
...even without the teleporting hunters I think that island terrain is great
Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 03-10-13 12:39 EST (US)     6 / 21       
I did some tests with the teleporting peasants. It appears that they don't work for farms such as the apple, hops, cheese, and wheat farms.
That's true. Because for farms, the workers have to access the area around their house for doing their work, what they can't when they are "trapped" somewhere else.

I did some more testing and the following buildings don't "work":
- well (worker tries to run to the well and disappears)
- ox tether (worker just stands still and delivers no stone to the tether or stockpile)
- iron mine (the "intern" miner works, but the iron carrier doesn't do anything)
- wheat farm
- hops farm
- dairy farm
- orchard

All other buildings work (e.g. quarry, woodcutter, pig rig worker, priests, inn keepers, apothecaries, millers, bakers, brewer, hunters, weapon makers (including tanners!)).

Picture below: A little "tele-town". The workers waiting in the southern area are some waiting bakers and millboys (no wheat/flour in the stockpile currently) and an ox tether guy and an iron mine carrier (not working, see above). The well and dairy farm have "regular" workers, as I wanted to test the functionality of the tanner. All other buildings in the picture use trapped tele-workers.
By the way, priests can have an easy job blessing the tele-workers, as the workers "pop up" where they originally were (or for those who move around there, where they were the last time), when they have no work to do... Well, in my experiments, the priest(s) were able to bless a percentage of the total population that was equivalent ot the percentage of peasants that were originally trapped in the same area as the priest-peasants, even though some of the "trapped" workers were seemingly permanently away and working inside their buildings. I am not quite sure, how that works, but it works.
Also note the walled-in inn, only accessible diagonally at one corner (iron ore tile). Still fully functional (same works for other buildings as well). But diagonally, melee troops can't attack buildings, so that's an efficient way of protecting them. This is independent of tele-workers, but by combining both, one can probably create very stable and hard to interrupt ai economies with unreachable and thus virtually invincible, and at the same time very efficient workers and hard to destroy buildings.

I'm not sure how tele-workers can be combined with other tricks as magic erased buildings and/or multi-occupied buildings (sleep/unsleep on pause). But I'm sure there are map makers out there that can come up with great applications.

[This message has been edited by Heroesflorian (edited 03-10-2013 @ 12:40 PM).]

UnikUnok
Archer
posted 03-11-13 04:57 EST (US)     7 / 21       
Ox tethers work. You just have to make the ox vanish to get teleporting abilities.

'And they that shall be of thee shall build up the old waste places; thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breach, the restorer of paths to dwell in' - Isaiah
Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 03-11-13 10:09 EST (US)     8 / 21       
oh, really? well thanks for that hint then.

then, to make the ox vanish, what do I have to do?

Edit: After 12 years, I got 8 filled armouries, several thousand gold and a stockpile filled with stone (but still without teleporting ox tether guys), pitch and wood, the island has just become tree-free, and the deer respawn when their population gets low, so probably the hunter will never run out of prey. Moreover, the hunter and the woodcutter managed to extinguish all the rabbits on the island.
So probably teleporting woodcutters should be given a LOT of trees and space for new ones to grow...

[This message has been edited by Heroesflorian (edited 03-11-2013 @ 02:30 PM).]

peter2008
Knight
posted 03-17-13 11:46 EST (US)     9 / 21       
Hello Heroesflorian,

I started both versions you sent me for playtesting (3,4 and 3,t). Unfortunately, the game crashes early on, still before the first cede.

What can be the reason? Wether you have the HD update installed, or its due to the number of saves?
It's just the 1.2 version running here.

I had a look into the editor and your script. Would be the most ambitious one ever made.

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 03-17-13 14:29 EST (US)     10 / 21       
I don't really know what the reasons for crashes could be. I did not install the HD update, and I did not use the save-to-map trick here (not even once!). I also did not yet apply any troop color changes.
My current version of SH1 is V1.2.

As there are some cede and time on/off events and such - in other words a relatively high amount of events that are not directly available in the editor, that can only taken into a map with a hex editor (tutorial thread here), that might be the only plausible reason for any crashes I can think of.
Nonetheless, I am always carefull when using a hex editor, and I'm pretty sure I didn't mess up the map this way, but maybe, these events - or the simple amount of events in the script of that map - make a game less stable generally? I don't know...

I used some 2000 stone tricks and some (basic) magic eraser tricks, but nothing really complicated, and basically this also shouldn't let the game crash. And there are maps with much more use of 2000 stone trick and/or magic eraser tricks that work properly.

In recent own tests, I also noticed that sometimes the game crashes early on - and it can happen even without the player actually doing something...
It happened several times roughly the moment, when a bunch of woodcutters reached the only one pine tree on a mountain in the south-western part of the map (roughly on the line from map center to the south-east map corner, about 2/3 on the "way") that is accessible.
But it did not crash every time, and probably that timing has nothing to do with that tree (at least I can't think of a reason why the game should crash due to a regular tree?) and (as time is off) no special events occurr at that time, so again no real reason for crashing...

I can only suggest re-trying a few times (and frequent saving to prevent loss of progress in case a crash would appear later in the game).

Edit: You could try to remove and re-place the wolves on the map, as I have the suspicion they tend to reproduce over time when one works in the editor after placing them, creating a lot of them "stacked" in one place. Shouldn't be a reason either, but who knows?

[This message has been edited by Heroesflorian (edited 03-17-2013 @ 02:33 PM).]

The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 03-22-13 07:02 EST (US)     11 / 21       
Some interesting tricks there. And I love the snow placement in the first screenshot.
UnikUnok
Archer
posted 03-23-13 23:27 EST (US)     12 / 21       
You can find the info you need here:

http://stronghold.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forum/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,3907,0,365

Looking Great!!!

UU

UnikUnok
Archer
posted 03-23-13 23:28 EST (US)     13 / 21       
Double post

apologies :/

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 03-23-2013 @ 11:30 PM).]

Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 03-24-13 14:40 EST (US)     14 / 21       
I know that tutorial thread... but *shame* I don't quite get it...

What exactly must be done to a ox tether to remove the ox?

I tried...
- completely surrounding it with wall -> not accessible for workers
- surrounding it with walls 1 block thick, but with some stairs leading to the inside, directly next to it -> ox appeared outside the walls
- using some stairs again, and more walls -> no ox this time... but the worker collects 8 stones, then they just disappear (and don't appear in the stockpile), so that configuration just deleted the stone

I'm a bit confused now... could you please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Edit (04-07-2013): Did someone ever notice... well, workers that don't get shot by any hostile soldiers? In my map, sometimes a few woodcutters (seemingly always the same ones) seem to be simply ignored by hostile archers and also by hostile melee units on aggressive stance, while all other woodcutters get attacked the usual way. The ignored woodcutters might even approach the hostile soldiers and attack them (if they are between them and the nearest trees), but they never get attacked by archers or soldiers on aggressive stance (attacked soldiers defend themselves, but that's all they do).
I was stunned when I noticed that, as I never saw something like that before. I thought that might be just some strange, random happening, but it happens again and again. It's a bit as if they would invisible to the hostile soldiers... :S (and it has nothing to do with the teleporting workers).

These "stealth" workers can by the way get hit by an arrow (that was shoot at someone else) and die just like any other worker, but the archers don't shoot at them. Here's an image to illustrate that. I know, one single picture may be a bit unconvincing, but as there are many woodcutters in that map, it's hard to actually keep track of the stealth workers' positions in the crowd and make several good screenshots of them.

The green marked workers did not only climb the plateau, they went all around it, climbed up and hacked their way through some archers and spearman without anyone shooting at them. And at the spot where they chopped down the pine tree, they again were not shot at, although the green archers definitely can also shoot at that spot. When the woodcutters returned to their homes with their wood, I noticed that 2 of them had magically erased huts, but the 3rd of them had just a regular hut, so the magic eraser is rather not the reason for their "stealth abilities".

Edit: Here a second picture to illustrate the phenomenon: Several workers hacking down a tree directly in front of the archers, while they are idle. The woodcutters even kill a spearman without any of the other soldiers (on aggressive stance) doing something. Also note the green archer at the left top targetting a yellow farmer in the distance and another archer (barely visible on the screenshot) shooting down to some other worker, illustrating that the archers react normally to other workers. You might also notice that in the first picture there are less green soldiers and less trees. The missing ones were already killed / chopped down in that earlier run of the map.

[This message has been edited by Heroesflorian (edited 04-07-2013 @ 05:17 PM).]

Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 04-13-13 14:21 EST (US)     15 / 21       
I'm not sure if you have seen something like that before, but... this map features MANY hunters.
And the hunt on the player has begun...

Visible hunters: 22.

Visible hunters: about 45.

Visible hunters: uhm... beyond 60, maybe even over 70.
But it's relatively hard to count them as they stacked and marched in very close formations as you can see.

Maybe you can estimate their firepower - further, harder and more accurate than regular archers and with constant reinforcements. Packs of hunting dogs help them to stop and fight your troops.
That almost makes the woodcutter brigades useless.

Well, I might have to nerve the hunters a bit... but they make for a great army with a lot of military power on a battlefield.

(Note: The hunters on the pictures are not all of the hunters that are on the map, though the third picture probably contains most of them. No hunting dogs were injured in the making of these screenshots. )

By the way - if anyone else is interested in playtesting, mail me!

UnikUnok
Archer
posted 04-13-13 22:40 EST (US)     16 / 21       
VERY INTERESTED! Let me know!

raf007ny@aol.com

Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 09-23-13 20:12 EST (US)     17 / 21       
@ Peter2008 and UnikUnok:
It's been quite some time since I have sent you the files and I haven't heard anything from you for a long time. Do you have any comments, suggestions or other feedback?

I didn't work on the project in the last few months, as I was busy with university and waiting for news from you, but I don't want the topic to get archived before the map is finished.

Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 01-12-14 11:09 EST (US)     18 / 21       
Still no response...
I wonder if I should just abandon the project...

The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 01-14-14 23:38 EST (US)     19 / 21       
You shouldn't abandon anything on account of people not providing pre-release feedback.

Are you able to test it yourself, or it keeps mysteriously crashing? (In regards to a previous comment)
Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 03-02-14 10:54 EST (US)     20 / 21       
Well for me it crashes rarely, but I just have not enough time for extensive testing - and without testing no finetuning, without finetuning no good map.
Moreover, the map is probably one of the most tricky ones ever made and as I as the map maker know all of the tricks, I can't really objectively estimate its difficulty for someone else...

Heroesflorian
Archer
posted 03-13-14 18:23 EST (US)     21 / 21       
Today I finally went back into the editor for taking some screenshots of the map... and I realized that actually there are quite few ruins with (working) stairs inside in SH1 maps.
Personally, I always liked the idea of having (ruined) towers with stairs, offering accessible platforms on multiple altitudes for walking, fighting or watching out for enemies - a bit like the SH2 towers...

Having said that, in this map, ruined towers with stairs don't play a major role and the example picture (click here for full size) does definitely not show the best or most impressive designs that are possible, but I thought I'd give it a go and post it here to show the basic idea behind...

And in order to keep a bit of interest alive, I made some more screenshots...
On the locations shown on these screenshots, there are hidden...
- two invisible quarries
- a ghost
- wolves (x5)
- invisible err... "surprises"
- quite essential "mines"
- a setup for tricking the pathfinding into walking directly from a tower to earth without stairs in between
- a cursed lake with some very special kind of terrain and an evil witch inside to challenge you
- some puzzles that will probably cause you a few headaches
And this is just a small portion of what awaits you when the map will be finished - regarding map area as well as complexity...

Have fun guessing where all these wolves are hidden (on 5 pictures)!

PS: If the pictures are too big, I'll replace them with the links.

[This message has been edited by Heroesflorian (edited 03-13-2014 @ 06:30 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames