You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, peter2008, Doomsword

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » Instructions for Making a Mini Map in Stronghold 2
Bottom
Topic Subject:Instructions for Making a Mini Map in Stronghold 2
Sparrow
Archer
posted 12-12-05 23:21 EST (US)         
Instructions for making a mini map in Stronghold 2

The basic steps are these:

1. Take a screen shot
2. Paste it into a graphics program
3. Cut out the mini map from the lower left
4. Save to .PNG, .GIF, or .JPG

There is no hot key combination to take screen shots in SH2. You must use the PRINT SCREEN key on your keyboard. This loads it into the Windows clipboard. If you have SH2 running in a window use ALT-PRINT SCREEN to capture just the game window.

The Paint program that comes with Windows will do if you don't have a separate graphics program. If you're running full screen you can temporarily ALT-TAB out of the game to access your graphics program.

The size of your mini map will depend on which screen resolution your game is running at when you take the screen shot. The higher the resolution, the larger the resulting mini map. A screen shot of the game running at 1280x1024 makes a good sized one that fits well with the download pages and shows good detail. If you can't run your game that large, 1152x864 is a not quite as big, but still pretty good. 1024x768 is a bit small but will do. Any smaller is really not good.

It's best to show the entire map. If size is a problem it is possible to take multiple screen shots of different parts of the mini map and stitch them together into one map, but it's a lot of work. That's the method I used to create estate maps for the walk-throughs.

Be sure to adjust the zoom level of the mini map before taking your screen shot so that the map completely fills the box, but none of it is obscured. There are 11 zoom levels available with your mouse's scroll wheel. The fourth level up from the smallest will just fill the box the map is in. There is also a zoom button in the extreme lower left, but it only provides three zoom levels and, unfortunately, the one that just fills the box with no cropping is not one of them.

DoY's infamous TREASURE ISLAND - Challenge #13 - Sparrow's Extreme Challenges for SH1 and Crusader
AuthorReplies:
Sir Grey
Archer
posted 06-17-07 19:43 EST (US)     1 / 9       
my print screen isnt working,can u help?
Doomsword
Earl
posted 06-17-07 20:53 EST (US)     2 / 9       
some decent graphics programs have screen capture modes. I use Paint Shop Pro 7.
Or try this http://stronghold2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=363

/\.........................../\
/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
/_/./././|||||||||||||\.\.\.\_\
/_/./_/{||||||||||}\_\.\_\
/_/......X..|||..X......\_\
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 06-17-07 23:15 EST (US)     3 / 9       
A similar program, Fraps works just as well.

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//
Sir Grey
Archer
posted 06-18-07 09:44 EST (US)     4 / 9       
ok i got fraps and i use paint shop pro 7.
but evrytime I take a screenshot it comes out black......what is wrong or what should I do.

Also when i use fraps i can only save it to bmp not any other.

[This message has been edited by Sir Grey (edited 06-18-2007 @ 09:46 AM).]

Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 06-18-07 14:34 EST (US)     5 / 9       
I don't know about Photoshop's screen capture, but you can use it to convert the bmp files Fraps makes to jpeg or png.

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//
Sir Grey
Archer
posted 06-18-07 15:03 EST (US)     6 / 9       
ok can i use paint? if so it still turns out blk
Moriah
Archer
posted 04-19-09 11:12 EST (US)     7 / 9       
It's REALLY easy to capture the screen. Just use Windows HotKey Ctrl-PrtScrn, and you'll capture to clipboard. Open MS PhotoEditor, Edit/Paste As New Image. Bingo, you have your JPG. Did it just last night. No special tools or 3rd party software or screen captures needed.
bugonstick
Archer
posted 08-11-09 13:28 EST (US)     8 / 9       
I would just like to say next time read the manual, becuase in fact there IS a screenshot button for SH:2 it's ALT-q press it anytime during gameplay and whalla it saves it right to the screenshots folder as a .PNG file

I am currently a high king and liam is a muddy peasent several hundred ranks away from becomng a low muddy peasent king if you are not liam this message isnt for you......
If you are a Christian and glad of it put this in your signature.
SuperKevMLG
Archer
posted 10-05-15 09:31 EST (US)     9 / 9       
Your favourite games will never be unplayable unless you run into the hardware problems PCD mentioned.

There is a game I still play even though it is really quite old now: Colonisation (Not Civ 4 Colonisation but the original PC game). I run DosBox on my Windows 8 PC and I can play that old game. It is still great fun

I also play Civ2 on my Win8 PC (Not quite such good fun for me as Colonisation. I run it on a Linux emulator running a Windows 3.1 emulator to get it to play.

But neither of those games immersed me back then as much as The SH1 map editor...

So I think you will be suprised maybe? The time will come when you launch SHC and have great fun again
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames