You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, peter2008, Doomsword

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.83 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » AI Castles .aic files
Bottom
Topic Subject:AI Castles .aic files
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Doomsword
Earl
posted 04-24-09 19:55 EST (US)         
I've yet to look at the castle editor and I was under the impression that it is used to change the footprint of an AI's castle. Is this change saved to the map file or does it change some other game file?

I just assumed it would alter one of the game files and that I would need to include this altered file in the DL. Any one dl'ing the map would then have to mod the game slightly to have the change take affect. Am I right or wrong with this assumption.

I would like to use this program since Barclay in my current map is not quite finishing his castle for some reason. He is leaving out 1 small piece of wall next to his keep allowing me to waltz right on in bypassing his inner gate. I'm just not keen on requiring people to mod their game to play my map.
I have been playing with the AI Castle Editor a lot recently. The Queen never finished her castle and after a little muddling around, the editor is really easy to use. It's got some issues that could be tweaked but they are more annoyances than anything else.

Fixing that problem with Barclay would not be hard and then yes you would have to supply the updated .aic file for downloaders to drop into the Castles folder. A wonderful path of opportunity for custom maps if people can follow along because you can get a lord to build to into custom terrain and timing. Some of the War missions use special .aic files for the lords.

I've been building aic. files to release as a bundle. Fixing existing errors and making more defensive castles that will work flawlessly with the existing files. You can just add more castles to a lords repertoire by increasing the file name integer e.g. Queen_01.aic to Queen_09.aic . I was thinking about seeing if anyone else was interested in getting involved to make a SH2 Heaven AI Castle bundle with a whole lot of working designs, because the default small AI castle in the game is pretty lame. There is plenty of room to design bigger castles too.
You can just add more castles to a lords repertoire by increasing the file name integer e.g. Queen_01.aic to Queen_09.aic
I never really noticed this before but from this statement I'm assuming that the AI's in the game already have a number of designs to use when building their castles. I wonder what factors are used to determine what design an AI will use? The space available perhaps or is it just a random choice? It would have been really nice if we could specify what design an AI should use.
I've been building aic. files to release as a bundle. Fixing existing errors and making more defensive castles that will work flawlessly with the existing files.
This is a great idea Doomsword! I wasn't impressed with the existing designs of the AI's castles either. I agree that most castles are quite small but size can be an issue on 6-8 player Kingmaker maps. Some just don't have the room for a very large castle layout.

I'm looking forward to this bundle to see and what you come up with! I would be willing to help with this but I'd need to know what you've done so far first. I was about to begin work on a new siege map but maybe I'll take a look at the AI castle editor instead.

ps...

It took me most of the morning but I finally got the Java version I needed to run the AI editor. I've only taken a quick look and so far I like what I see (mostly). I see what you mean by annoying. Too bad the editor doesn't default to the castles directory where the .aic files are stored in the first place when you go to open one.

I noticed that Barclay has 3 layouts to choose from yet he always uses the second layout in my current map. I'm glad it stays the same yet I wonder why that is? I also noticed that the missing wall tile in his castle should not be missing. In the editor it shows the wall in this spot overlapping the corner tower of the keep. I willing to bet that the person who created this layout knew about the missing wall tile and tried to fix it without success and just gave up on it and moved on. This suggests that getting the AI to build the way you want is as difficult as getting the AI to attack the way you want.

Anyway, I'm off to see what I can do with this and try to get the hang of it.

/\.........................../\
/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
/_/./././|||||||||||||\.\.\.\_\
/_/./_/{||||||||||}\_\.\_\
/_/......X..|||..X......\_\
AuthorReplies:
Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-14-17 16:16 EST (US)     76 / 83       
They are not defensive lords, otherwise they wouldn't try making siege camps and wouldn't have taunts. Defensive lords have no point as it is easy to kill a lord that does nothing.

I always play with maximum handicap, it doesn't help. The village transports spears crossed my mind, but is it possible to make in kingmaker?

Update: Uhh, map editor can't load kingmaker maps, not even customs. When I try loading it, it just goes back to the empty new map.

Update update: I put the Korea map into the map folder in documents and this allowed me to edit it. I modified an estate to produce spears and I put down a load of poleturner workshop which supplied the king like crazy. With this method, he launched the siege while still producing pikes in his own estate. So apparently if I customize maps by making an estate in a defendable position next to the king's (and possibly the hawk's) intended area and giving them the estate in advance, it will circumvent their spear crisis. More bother than the ability to simply give them both type of workshop, but at least, it solves the problem.

Thanks for the advise though.

[This message has been edited by Cortez2000 (edited 02-14-2017 @ 05:28 PM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 02-14-17 18:06 EST (US)     77 / 83       
I have to disagree, it could be damn hard to kill a defensive lord, but if they were collecting more troops. You should see how a large group of crossbowmen on a keep can slaughter knights during a siege. Unfortunately, AI lords in Stronghold 2 never collect enough troops for that in their castles. (In Crusader 1 Wolf often uses tons of crossbowmen to defend himself, I wish we could see something like that in Stronghold 2 as well.)

I have played a multiplayer game with a friend from Stronghold Nation, and after I destroyed his defensive structures, he moved his crossbowmen and axe throwers into his stone keep at those stairs. He did it like that because this way I couldn't kill them easily with ballistae. When my knights walked in, he also had some melee troops inside, so for my knights it looked like the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones. They were killed just like that.

Yes, it is possible to make villages produce spears in kingmaker, you only need to edit the map on which you play the game. You would have to edit those villages in which you would want the King to produce spears. Hopefully, he would send those spears into his castle.

That's great to hear, I'm glad you made it. Yes, it would be perfect if we could add them more workshops, but I fear that it would require some coding. I mean, information how each of AI lords acts, which troops they use, and how many of each workshops they would build is stored in the .exe file I think.

I guess this method could make the entire game a lot more interesting, I wasn't thinking about it before. Until now I would mostly play with raw resources producing village types, and with villages producing stuff candles, or cloths which are used to gain more honor and gold...

You're welcome, I'm glad I helped.

[This message has been edited by EaglePrince (edited 02-14-2017 @ 06:09 PM).]

Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-14-17 18:21 EST (US)     78 / 83       
Defensive lords are not particularly hard. Since they don't attack, you have your sweet time to prepare. The stairs can't hold back troops for long, you send some macemen or berserkers to soak up the fire, walk past the melee units by insane clicking and it will provide time for the heavy guys. However, I found that thieves are nasty little assassin and they can't be properly seen by the enemy, so they may able to sneak through the bloodshed and kill the lord. They can be used too to invade the treasury and slowly drain the defender's money if he has any options left to use it.

Also, siege can take time, to secure your position a whittle down the castle one by one. Once you force someone's units inside of their keep, you can ruin their economy and reinforce your troops.
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 02-15-17 12:49 EST (US)     79 / 83       
I completely agree, but I only say this hypothetically. The fact is that AI lords don't keep as much troops to defend their castle as I would want them to.

Regarding your attacks into the keep, I assume that this attack would include a lot of knights, but keep in mind that although at some point in the game you have a lot of knights, training that number of them can take a lot of time and resources.

But you are definitely right about the most important thing here: if the AI was only or mostly defensive, then you wouldn't have to worry much about your defense. At some moment you would easily take over all of the villages on the map, and then it would be only a matter of time when you will win. Because then you have all the time and resources you need, and the AI lord would be getting weaker after each attack, and even if you had to launch several full attacks with knights on him.
Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-15-17 14:41 EST (US)     80 / 83       
I'm not using knights against AI. I barely use berserkers. They're too OP to be fun. I'm trying to be more tactical because once you breach the castle and took out ballistae, you rush in with like 10 knights and you won. I have the nasty tendency of toying with the ai. I took the cheating douche queen out using 200 armed peasant and Seren with a bunch of monks for the irony of it. Sometimes (mostly in SHC) I restrict myself to the units my enemies capable of using, so the odds are more even. In SH2, I play with max handicap 99% of the time, even as freelancer and playing against 2-3 AI. In SHC, I reached the point when I stopped using crossbows (only making them for trade), because I put down a tower with 30 of them and I don't have to build any other defenses.

So, you see why I entertain myself with fixing up the king and the hawk.
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 02-15-17 17:03 EST (US)     81 / 83       
Few times I played a game against some Arabian lords, who had attacked me at one moment, and they wiped out all of my archers. I didn't use any crossbowmen in that game.

In Stronghold 2 I had similar situation, but I usually play Stronghold 2 starting as a free man. I remember how it was really hard for me to kill William.

I see. But I just found it more fun to play against William for example, who can bring me really bad times when he starts attacking while I still try to build up my defenses - with Doomsword's castles, and with those two castles of William which I fixed, it can get a lot harder.

Or maybe you just play Stronghold 2 kingmaker games really well compared to me.
Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-15-17 19:41 EST (US)     82 / 83       
Well, William is more of a challenge since I fixed his towers to have the entrance inside. Although maybe it was on purpose, since William is an idiot. I mean, the guy courts a chick instead of fixing the nearby land, frees a traitor from the same girl, leaves his estate in a mess, leaving me to literally achieve the Royal Champion title for him, not to mention his suicidal strategies.
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 02-16-17 03:07 EST (US)     83 / 83       
Although maybe it was on purpose, since William is an idiot. I mean, the guy courts a chick instead of fixing the nearby land, frees a traitor from the same girl, leaves his estate in a mess, leaving me to literally achieve the Royal Champion title for him, not to mention his suicidal strategies.
Ahaha, can't disagree with that...

But joke aside, I do think it was made by mistake. Though I don't get it how it comes that Firefly haven't fixed issues like that years ago. In Crusader 1 there are some flaws in castles, but not as bad as this. Plus, in Stronghold 2 it is one of the only two castles.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames