You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, peter2008, Doomsword

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.46 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » There's a new mod in town!
Bottom
Topic Subject:There's a new mod in town!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Serros_1
Archer
posted 10-30-14 00:05 EST (US)         
Friends, Romans, Countrymen! Lend me your ears! I bring tidings of great joy to all SH2 fans, for a new mod is coming! Not a new map pack, or new banners, but an overhaul mod, designed to take you back to the days of the Roman Empire!

Stronghold II: Imperium Condita

I am the creator of this new mod, and I would greatly appreciate the support and interest of the SH2 community. I have released some pictures onto Moddb.com, and am working towards the end goal of reviving this great game. In the wake of despair left by Stronghold 3, I believe now is the time to act. And so, I ask you to visit my mod on the sight, and if you are interested, start getting the word out to your friends. I hope you will all be pleased with my labor.

Your humble servant,

The Gatesman of Avenna

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stronghold-2-imperium-condita

[This message has been edited by Serros_1 (edited 11-05-2014 @ 10:34 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 06-19-15 06:32 EST (US)     26 / 46       
If you are not able to change the name of the tread by editing the first message here, then you could ask some of the moderators to change the name of the tread. I believe The Sword and Buckler Inn would be the right place for that.
grant1977
Archer
posted 06-20-15 18:54 EST (US)     27 / 46       
Thanks for the reply.

On the stairs what files did you need to copy over to get the stairs even IN SH2? I tried to replace the wooden stairs with SHL version but it was invisible, but I was close.

Have you tried to fix the Moat issue, I noticed in Legends they did something that made the moats look a little better as if dug into the ground.

Has anyone tried to import models of units from SH3 and SHC2 into SH2?

If they use the same .g2 files it should be possible. I tried to use the .v converter but the .v file was still unable to be opened, which makes me think they did something in a patch since then. But if someone has the files I would love to know just for fun. But I would love to have the files to add some better models to SH2.

Lord Grant

[This message has been edited by grant1977 (edited 06-20-2015 @ 06:56 PM).]

Duke Chris
Archer
posted 06-22-15 02:37 EST (US)     28 / 46       
Has anyone tried to import models of units from SH3 and SHC2 into SH2?
Please use your original thread and avoid duplicate posting.

My Stronghold fansite: http://www.strongholdnation.co.uk
Serros_1
Archer
posted 06-22-15 10:00 EST (US)     29 / 46       
@grant1977

In order to get any model to show up, you need all of the textures associated with that model. So for example, for the stairs, you need to import not just the .gr2 files, but the .dds files as well. I believe they are arthurwalls.dds and crenelations.dds. Otherwise, the model will be invisible.

If you have granny viewer, there is a tab called textures which you can open, and it will tell you the name for all textures associated with the model.

As for the moats, this is something I've been unsuccessful in changing. I can't seem to find the proper files that control what the moat looks like. So in my mod, we'll just have to work with what we've got. Although I plan on changing the texture to a more realistic water tile. So it should look alright.

[This message has been edited by Serros_1 (edited 06-22-2015 @ 10:01 AM).]

Duke Chris
Archer
posted 06-23-15 02:46 EST (US)     30 / 46       
for the moats, this is something I've been unsuccessful in changing. I can't seem to find the proper files that control what the moat looks like. So in my mod, we'll just have to work with what we've got. Although I plan on changing the texture to a more realistic water tile. So it should look alright.
That's because moats are a .bik file. So you need a video file to change them to, there is a one in Legends you can swap, but it has to be a bink file which you replace it with.

[This message has been edited by Duke Chris (edited 06-23-2015 @ 02:46 AM).]

Serros_1
Archer
posted 06-23-15 09:22 EST (US)     31 / 46       
@ Duke Chris

I know about the .bik files. We were talking about the affect it has on the landscape. In SH2 the moats just sit on top of the ground. In SHL, they are dug in a little bit.
Duke Chris
Archer
posted 06-24-15 02:48 EST (US)     32 / 46       
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's down to the bik file. You should be able to change it by changing the bink file.

That's from what I remember, anyway.

[This message has been edited by Duke Chris (edited 06-24-2015 @ 02:49 AM).]

Serros_1
Archer
posted 06-24-15 08:35 EST (US)     33 / 46       
Unfortunately, its not that simple. I've already replaced the bik. It's the same thing as a building texture as far as I can tell. Foundation files go into the ground a little bit, so that buildings can be placed on uneven terrain and not look funny. But I can't find the file for the moat. The bik is just a picture.
Duke Chris
Archer
posted 06-25-15 02:16 EST (US)     34 / 46       
But I can't find the file for the moat. The bik is just a picture.
Download Rad Game Tools and open it with that. It is a video with that.

You must have opened it with something like Paint.net.

[This message has been edited by Duke Chris (edited 06-25-2015 @ 02:16 AM).]

Serros_1
Archer
posted 06-25-15 14:25 EST (US)     35 / 46       
Duke Chris, we clearly aren't on the same page. I've been working with the .bik files. I've got radtools. I've been working on this for weeks. There is more to it than the texture of the .bik file. There is some sort of foundation with one of the arthur terrain textures. But I can't find it. This is what we've been saying. If you've figured it out, I'd love to see a picture.

grant1977
Archer
posted 06-27-15 02:30 EST (US)     36 / 46       
I don't think its a new texture, but more of the changing of Depth when a moat is placed, like placing the Marsh or Rivers.

If that is the case it would be hardcoded in the .exe file, unless there is a building file named moat?

I thought of this also, and cannot see any way other than being in code that they made the changes.

Firefly is REALLY bad toward modders, they seem to take it personal someone modding "their" game. They seem to always try to hide the most simple files for editing that have no effect on online game security at all. Crusader2 is a prime example as most of the basic files are hidden.

I wont ever buy a new release from them again, the Bad people running a bad company. Why support such attitudes and greed?

I think SH2 was the best game for features and SHC was the best for overall gameplay being a 2D game. Though if SH2 was done in 2D I really think it would have been better than SHC.

Lord Grant

Duke Chris
Archer
posted 06-27-15 03:32 EST (US)     37 / 46       
Firefly is REALLY bad toward modders, they seem to take it personal someone modding "their" game. They seem to always try to hide the most simple files for editing that have no effect on online game security at all. Crusader2 is a prime example as most of the basic files are hidden.
Believe me, they could have made it a lot harder for modders to do anything. Simply hiding files in archives is nowhere near as bad as I've seen some companies do with game content. As an example, Activision have hidden things so much in Empires Dawn of the Modern World, that there are no archives, no files - even if you're viewing hidden files & folders from the control panel. You have to assume the files & folders exist to modify it. That really is a pain to change.

Firefly's games are actually quite mod friendly. You just need to know what you're doing, following guides such as the ones on Stronghold Nation are all you need. Unfortunately, there are not enough of them around.

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 06-27-15 03:43 EST (US)     38 / 46       
I agree with Chris. In Stronghold games if you have the right tools you can easily find the resources you need to edit to fulfill your goal - when it comes to modding. That is my impression at least, as I have done very little when it comes to modding those games. But you do need to have some skills to do that, and a lot of patience.
grant1977
Archer
posted 06-27-15 10:32 EST (US)     39 / 46       
True there are WORSE games, but FF does not like their game modded, they Hardcoded a lot in the .exe that was not needed. Allowing some DDS files and knowing that most don't have a Granny3D SDK makes it pretty basic on WHAT can be modded.

Don't get me wrong there are some things in SH2 that are moddable, but overall they seem to take a dim view of anyone modding the work. It is their work and if they want to make it more problematic that is their right. But overall I would not call them anywhere NEAR mod friendly.

Think of Units stands, health of buildings and other settings that DID NOT have to be stored in the .exe and actually would be better if not for patching. I've work on several Large modifications for other games, so I am not speaking out of my hat.

Knights of Honor is a simple game that shows games files being easily modified compared to SH1,SHC,SH2 etc.

As for modding you can tell how much harder with SH3 and SHC2 not having any mods except a few new maps.

Lord Grant

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 06-27-15 12:18 EST (US)     40 / 46       
There is a Stronghold Crusader 2 mod. Check this out:
http://forums.strongholdnation.co.uk/topic/527-mod-for-stronghold-crusader-2-templars-nightmare/

I do agree with you though, but I would put it another way... I think that Firefly is not modder not-friendly, as they did leave a lot of that that could be more easily modified. They could have made some config file in which one would be able to change those attributes which would make others to modify it more easily. It seems that that don't have much against those modifications, but they didn't put some additional effort to make us easier to modify the game.

Still, I cannot know anything for sure, you could be right as well - maybe they intentionally didn't want to make us easy to modify those attributes, as that could lead one part of the community to use a modification rather than the original game... It does make sense what you say, only my opinion is that they simply didn't make us easier to modify the game.
grant1977
Archer
posted 06-27-15 22:32 EST (US)     41 / 46       
Its a shame SHH is a little dead, I don't know why when SH doesn't lose its appeal even though old.

I made a new templar Unit and uploaded it but its not showing up. So....

I made some other small modifications that seemed to turn out well. Though being able to improve moats would have been wonderful. lol

I wonder if the Bik file is always placed the same way or if it rotated when placed. If so one in theory may be able to add a graphic to the image to look like a shore. it would not be SHL but may look better. The only flaw would be you wouldn't make DEEP moats or the image would be in the middle.

Lord Grant

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 06-28-15 02:42 EST (US)     42 / 46       
I agree, SHH has little visitors at this moment, and little people write here nowadays... I guess one reason for that is Steam - lots who buy a Stronghold game activated through Steam post their questions at Steam Discussions - they don't look for forums like this which is way better place than Steam Discussions.

Regarding your file being submitted here - it will be approved, we just need to be a little patience. Generally we need to wait less than a week... Still, that is better than anyone being able to upload anything, as there are lots of them would would like to spam or harm people...

Speaking about moats in Stronghold 2, I'm with you on that one. I was also looking for some ways to edit it and make it more appealing, but I gave up - I guess my skills are just not enough. Being able to get something like in SHL moats would be great, but I fear that would require editing the exe file. I would gladly use moats in Stronghold 2, but since they look the way they look I avoid that. Another thing I don't like here is buying this moat with gold - I like it better when we were sending troops to dig the moat. But I would pay them with gold - only if they looked better.
grant1977
Archer
posted 06-28-15 23:11 EST (US)     43 / 46       
I agree, I remember when FF first had the SH2 moats I was sick. lol I liked the idea of digging the moats, its reminded me of the Castles2 days. Something interesting is why they never made a strategical side to SH, Similar to Castles2 where you take each province, The do have Kingdoms which is the closest but its online.

I would prefer an standalone game, but now with Steam I think we will see the end of the game be available for home use. I got the 5 packs with SH3 included and it still needed steam even though the game was a flop.

I think SH2 is the best out of the series for over all features and ideas, Strong walls that cannot be hacked down was a plus. But SHC was the best overall for FEEL to match the old Castle games.

Just look how another publisher ruined Lord of the Realm 3! How one can ruin such a simple game is beyond me.

Lord Grant

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 06-29-15 02:52 EST (US)     44 / 46       
I agree with all of that. Still, regarding the strong walls by default in Stronghold - it seems like something that players were asking for, and something people would want as it is logical, but somehow people seem to accept better the simpler solution where melee troops can bring down the wall.

Regarding Lord of the Realms 3, I haven't played that game...
grant1977
Archer
posted 06-29-15 03:32 EST (US)     45 / 46       
lords3 isn't worth playing but Lords of the Realm2 is.

BTW could you do me a favor? I have a Map that was uploaded back about 9 years ago called "CASTLE GRANT".

http://stronghold2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=186&ci=c9e3b8241b4489c9c0f96bb365e387fcYToxOntpOjA7YToyOntpOjA7czoxNDoiU2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMiO2k6MTtzOjQyOiJsaXN0ZXIucGhwP3N0YXJ0PTAmYW1wO3NlYXJjaD1jYXN0bGUgZ3JhbnQiO319

Its a good map and everyone who played it seemed to like it, but back then some systems couldn't play the map because of the lag or CTD.

No one RATED my map, and its a good map others may overlook because it wasn't rated. If you have a nice system that plays SH2 well give the map a try and leave feedback and rating I would really appreciate it. :-)

Its a Fun siege map and has a lot of scripted action with units etc.

Lord Grant

[This message has been edited by grant1977 (edited 06-29-2015 @ 03:35 AM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 06-29-15 04:42 EST (US)     46 / 46       
I replied you in another tread, as this has gone too much off topic. I apologize to Serros_1, as this tread should be used for his mod - for him to share the great news with us about his mod.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames