You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, peter2008, Doomsword

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » Estate specifics in map editor & horseless knights
Bottom
Topic Subject:Estate specifics in map editor & horseless knights
Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-16-17 08:03 EST (US)         
I'm wondering if anyone knows how to give ownership of estates to another player. It happened in peace campaign when you relocated because of the fires, but when I take the enemy lord's castle and turn my old estate into village, it becomes neutral.

Also, I can't seem to find the option to tie quest to a specific estate like chapter 11, when I had to take Upwey from William.

Hell, I can't even make knights on horse during invasion. It worked when I made Hugo Blanc to attack the player in chapter 8, but when I include knights in the siege on my own map, they always attack on foot.
AuthorReplies:
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 02-16-17 14:54 EST (US)     1 / 13       
If you meant how to do it in a kingmaker game, it is not possible. The only way would be to simply leave an estate to an enemy lord.

When it comes to the editor, I think that the scenario you're referring to is a unique one in which Firefly made this, while there is no way for fans to do it on their own in the map editor. However, it may still be possible to do this using that scenario map made by Firefly - by editing it somehow, or in a similar way. I think I have heard about it before. There may be some map with this feature in the downloads section which you could edit further, or something like that.

Now I remembered something more. Have a look at The rune of wisdom. I think this is one of those maps in which one can take over an enemy estate.

The event you want to use here is frequently called "cede event".

You try to find out more on your own, or you may try to ask the same question at Stronghold Nation forum. It is a community similar to this one, and I hope you would enjoy being a member in both of them. Somebody from there could know the answer, or - you could also wait for Doomsword to notice your question here.

But please, if you ask this question at Stronghold Nation, do not forget to post a link to this thread here, so they would know what we were talking here, and so we wouldn't waste their time. They should know what we were talking here before giving you any advises.

Sorry I don't know the exact answer.

As about knights without horses. I don't know, but I may have a look at that some time later.
Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-16-17 20:04 EST (US)     2 / 13       
No, that's not kingmaker, it's war custom. I can relocate my castle, I'm familiar with the event, but the after-events are incredibly buggy. When I managed to that, first my original estate became a "friend". I saw no option to turn it into mine, only into a neutral estate.

And after took the castle and tried my second mission, a bunch of money started to flow in as well as 10 honor/month even though I didn't place statues to that castle. Not to mention the war chapter 6 like bug that leaves estate with the same banner, even though I, or the other lords capture it.

I've tried the map you suggested, but the taking of castle is badly designed. It is an optional thing to take the castle, it doesn't even offer it among the objectives. Maybe I'll try modifying it to reach that point again more easilty as this game is very long.

Thanks for the other forum, it seems much more active than this one, maybe I'll get some answers there.
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 02-17-17 04:26 EST (US)     3 / 13       
You're welcome! But about the other forum, I would be most happy if you stayed on both forums. I mean, I certainly don't want to drive you from one forum to another, I enjoy both of them, and each of them is great in its own way.

As about the first estate staying only friendly and not yours, maybe that makes more sense actually, because one shouldn't be able to have two castles. Maybe that's why they made it in such a way. I would usually watch it like this: I move my lord to another castle, and thenI leave another one to rule my old estate. And hopefully, that one guy won't betray me.

But I would certainly love if e could take over enemy castle, and those castles not to be destroyed once we defeat the enemy lord. There are several options which would be interesting - such as having the ruins of the castle left behind, or being able to make y it your ally castle it to destroy it if you want to.

Sorry for typos, it's hard for me on mobile.
Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-17-17 08:56 EST (US)     4 / 13       
Yes it makes sense to have a "friend" who takes over, but my problem is that I gave an event to convert estate to village. Do you remember the peace campaign when you have to rebuild a ruined castle? You move to that estate while your old one becomes YOUR village, not a neutral one. I tried to do the same, but I can't.

Taken enemy castle always remains intact unless you playing kingmaker or you add a trigger to convert it into an estate.

Btw, did you know that building sites can serve as variables? I made an optional quest to take out outlaw camp and by doing so, outlaws become available for you. But every new mission requires manual addition of unit types should your available army changes. So, if you destroy the outlaw camp, the later change will exclude your well earned outlaws (you can't destroy again the already destroyed camp), unless you add them, which kills the optional quest's purpose.

So I found that adding a dummy building site, I can keep outlaws optional. For example, I set building site inactive (so monks won't mess it up) and give it 0%. If you destroy the outlaw camp you give a trigger to set building site to 1%. Since rebuilding it via monks is no longer an option, you can only achieve the 1% by destroying the outlaw camp. So giving instead a trigger that "if building site is 1% then set available unit types" and you add outlaws, you can keep this quest optional.

Ps: I tested the runes of wisdom's castle change. It also have the neutral estate issue.

[This message has been edited by Cortez2000 (edited 02-17-2017 @ 09:38 AM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 02-18-17 14:07 EST (US)     5 / 13       
Yes, I get it now, it makes sense what you say. Pity how, even though Stronghold 2 has one of the richest maps and scenario editors, there are still so many things that we're missing.

I knew that, though I haven't used something like that. If I remember correctly, one could set an even that even if somebodies army crosses a bridge, it triggers an event, such as launching an attack on your castle. Still, I've made almost no Stronghold 2 scenario, most of Stronghold 2 maps are kingmaker maps, because that's what I enjoy the most: to play against AI lords with hard settings. Best games are those in which I barely survive the game.

Interesting trick to solve the issue!

Too bad to hear that. I was hoping that it may be possible to do what you wanted.
Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-18-17 17:01 EST (US)     6 / 13       
You have your maps uploaded? I find available ones in SH2 meagre, and many doesn't fit to the AI. I'm not much of a mapmaker, I dislike creating landscape, events and story fits better to me.
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 02-21-17 14:56 EST (US)     7 / 13       
Yes, I do. Sorry for late reply.

These are my maps you could find at Stronghold Heaven downloads section, and Stronghold Nation downloads section.
-Forest Realm,
-Tri Reke, and
-Dolina Odmetnika.

By the way, these are my castles for William.
Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-21-17 19:51 EST (US)     8 / 13       
Thanks, I'll try those. I have Doomsword's castles though as well as Billy's fixed towers, so I can't just waltz in his castle, so I don't know your version is what kind of difference. I also managed to make the Hawk besiege the players. Since he has no intention of making pikemen despite producing pikes, I replaced his poleturner to make spears. He isn't very tough, but with allies, his siege can be a danger.

Update: I checked out the outlaw camp map. Isn't it a bit too much if I start as a freeman? My lord can take out an outlaw camp or two if he's lucky, but they spawn too quickly and I'll not be able to even rank up enough for archers before they're start moving.

[This message has been edited by Cortez2000 (edited 02-22-2017 @ 09:22 AM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 02-22-17 14:13 EST (US)     9 / 13       
I don't know about Billy's fixed towers, but if he has only fixed the towers, in my case William has moats and killing pits around his castle which makes him harder to kill by simply sending laddermen and swordsmen upon his castle.

Yes, my map can be played by starting as a free man, but I agree it is challenging. You would need to ignore them and get archers as soon as possible by providing a lot of different food types to your people, along with other things I guess such as building lords kitchen and buying some fancy food if necessary. And keep in mind, the most important thing is not to lose granary. They can come to destroy some of your buildings, but they will not keep destroying everything you have, they just leave your estate after destroying few buildings. I have never managed to destroy those outlaw camps early in game.
Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-22-17 15:01 EST (US)     10 / 13       
I mean I myself fixed William's towers. I never tried taking him out with laddermen+swordsmen, because I'm afraid of ballistae. I have a nasty tactic I developed during war campaign mission 7: Place a tower to a somewhat protected area close to you keep then put a ballista on it. The enemy attacked with overwhelming melee units, i just collected them up and shoot them with the ballista. Most of them got killed by it. Having an apothecary to keep the lord's hp full will make him near invincible, unless the troops can kill the lord before the ballista shoots. So I usually try to get rid of them before moving in.

I managed to handle the outlaw situation starting as a knight. I could probably also do it on the bridge, since it is the only access to that estate. However, having lords at a comfortable place to also send troops against me makes things more stressful. Nevertheless I liked the map, there's very few with outlaws giving trouble. I think some sort of peace custom would be also fun with neutral enemies to annoy the player... except if it's like stronghold 1 with plague which drains 20 popularity. I see plague, plague, PHHLAAAGUE and can't manage my castle because it drains my popularity more than it is possible to increase.
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 02-22-17 15:30 EST (US)     11 / 13       
I believe that truth is that William is not that efficient with his ballistae. Plus, balliastea are the reason why I send swordsmen instead of knights. Also, I send them those swordsmen so they reach the stone keep as soon as possible, and then I keep fighting Williams troops there out of ballistae's sight. Later when the time is right, I send those swordsmen at his lord. Also, it is possible to send few swordsmen at those towers to destroy the ballistae. It's quite easy to kill any AI lord with swordsmen and laddermen. Laddermen are in Stronghold 2 far more efficient than in Crusader 1 for example, where they are useless.

Thanks, I'm happy that you like the map! I also like the outlaws. I used to have another map with outlaws which I really liked to play, but I have lost it. I didn't have internet back then, and when my hard drive broke down, I lost those maps. Including many Crusader 1 maps too. Still, thanks to much advice from this forum and from Stronghold Nation I managed to make far better maps, such as the one we are talking about. It would be interesting if I was able to improve those old maps with my current skills, but sadly those old maps have been lost. Really interesting idea for custom scenario. Now I don't have much time to experiment, but I hope I could try to do something like that.

Oh, and I understand that this maps seems stressful to you because you have two opponents, but keep in mind that those outlaws work against the enemy AI lords too. If you have a look at the west bank of the river, you will very likely see at least one of those lords having bad time with outlaws. Plus, these outlaws are capable of destroying entire AI lords' attacking armies before they manage to reach your castle.
Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-22-17 16:03 EST (US)     12 / 13       
I couldn't agree more. SH1 laddermen were never a danger, holding a ladder, waiting to be shot, then having a bugged climbing to any poor souls who attempt to climb. However, Doomsword's castles usually protected against ladders as the walls composed by buildings many times which only occasionally being able to target with ladders. I'll try the swordsmen tactic, though I usually prefer faster units. Ballistae are real pain, the AI can multitask with defending and aim and whenever I destroy one, they replacing it in 1 seconds seemingly for free (the Queen cheats like hell with it).

Maybe I'll put together a map after I finished with the current one, although I don't really enjoy making the landscape, otherwise I'd probably mass produce maps

Two opponents are not much of a problem, but like having 5 AI is. Even if we're free for all, they only focus on me. I wanted to make a chaotic kingmaker, everyone attacking everyone. Instead they kept coming at me and one of them even walked past the Bull just to siege my castle. I don't recall they were that anti-human in SHC1.

Btw, Tri Reke is bugged. I set myself in the middle against Seren and William and the units on the bridge were invulnerable. William comfortably catapulted my tower while my archers and crossbows effortlessly shot it. These high bridges aren't much fun that way.

[This message has been edited by Cortez2000 (edited 02-23-2017 @ 01:02 PM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 03-02-17 14:21 EST (US)     13 / 13       
I agree, those bridges are indeed somewhat bugged. They look cool, but unfortunately they also make problems. Most notably, AI lords tend to leave some of their troops bellow the bridges. I'll try to do that these days. I hope I will find some time for that, it shouldn't take me too long. This way I may lose some aesthetics, but it would improve playability.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames