Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Technical Issues » Vista
Bottom
Topic Subject:Vista
migpoola
Archer
posted 06-16-07 00:35 EST (US)         
Does Stronghold 2 work on vista? Or has anyone here been able to play Stronghold 2 on vista?
AuthorReplies:
PCDania
Archer
(id: PCD)
posted 06-16-07 05:15 EST (US)     1 / 19       
On some Vista PC's it does, on other it does not.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
lefthand_right
Archer
posted 06-17-07 22:40 EST (US)     2 / 19       
It works on my laptop. with minor graphic glitches.
Like some mountains aren't drawn correctly but nothing that keeps me from playing. I'm running patch v1.2 because v1.3.1 won't even start.

Here are my comp specs:
Vista Home Premium
HP Pavilion dv9035nr
2GB RAM
Ge-Force GO 7600

[This message has been edited by lefthand_right (edited 06-17-2007 @ 11:21 PM).]

PCDania
Archer
posted 06-18-07 12:26 EST (US)     3 / 19       
At least you can play though being able to install patch 1.3.1 would be good. Maybe patch 1.4 which Firefly should be working on will behave on your computer.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.

[This message has been edited by PCDania (edited 06-18-2007 @ 12:26 PM).]

lefthand_right
Archer
posted 06-22-07 22:57 EST (US)     4 / 19       
i have wonderful news!!!
i found a way to fix stronghold 2 for vista!

As i was doing some research today i came across a forum that had a post on a posible way to fix it so i can play v1.3.1, here's the actual post from http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t80112.html

Also you can play it on Vista WITHOUT patching to 1.3.1 look for 1.2 patch if you want to upgrade it somewhat. There is a site out there from SECUrom.com that you can send in the info on it (they have directions on their site somewhere) and they will send you an email with the link to download the new .exe and then BAM works fine on vista again Take care

here's the URL for SecuROM that list the instuctions
http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=analysis

Hope this helps others as much as it helped me.
PCDania
Archer
posted 06-23-07 04:30 EST (US)     5 / 19       
Here is the link:

http://www.securom.com/support_enduser.asp?t=1

What they say is:

Disable or uninstall any virtual drive software (Daemon Tools etc). If that does not help make sure the CD or DVD for the game is in the drive then rightclick either the Stronghold 2 icon on the desktop or Stronghold2.exe in the games mainfolder and in the menu that pops up choose Launch Analysis. The resulting file is to be zipped and then mailed to support@securom.com

Unfortunately we have reports of users with Vista where Launch Analysis is missing in the rightclick menu so it might not work for all users who are using Vista.

Lord_of_Betio
Archer
posted 06-26-07 23:58 EST (US)     6 / 19       
Greetings,
I've tried your reccomendation on the fix to securom. It has been close to 24 hours since I email the analysis log. Any idear about how long it should take?
Tarbo
Archer
posted 06-27-07 05:36 EST (US)     7 / 19       
24 to 48 hours sounds about right to me.

"She displayed amazing skill in squeezing epic mistakes in tiny opportunities."
"You haven't had enough coffee until you can sneeze with your eyes open."
"Education should be treated like an expensive watch: never struck out just to show you have one."
"Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual."
Lord_of_Betio
Archer
posted 06-27-07 08:36 EST (US)     8 / 19       
You know what I wonder is though, why, if this solution was so simple, didn't the tech support person I talked to at FireFly tell me about it? What he really told me pretty much, was too bad so sad, shouldn't have bought Vista... didn't really care at all...

I prefer to be like a leaf in the wind, only, not a leaf. More like knuckles of fire, subtract wind for motorcycle.
PCDania
Archer
posted 06-27-07 10:13 EST (US)     9 / 19       
Are you sure it was tech support at Firefly and not Take2?

Lord_of_Betio
Archer
posted 06-27-07 11:02 EST (US)     10 / 19       
I'm sorry, it was in fact Take2, I'll check myself for it. Anyhow, this fella didn't give a smack about it. He asked, well does it work without the patch? Minimally, at best. Glitches and CTD out the wazoo. The game is great, I Love the concept, I played all hell out of Stronghold: Crusader, still do. So, I want the same satisfaction. I was uphalled at the level of customer care that I recieved.

I prefer to be like a leaf in the wind, only, not a leaf. More like knuckles of fire, subtract wind for motorcycle.
PCDania
Archer
posted 06-27-07 16:00 EST (US)     11 / 19       
That sounds more like it. I found it pretty strange that a person from Firefly would treat you like that.

Lord_of_Betio
Archer
posted 06-27-07 23:07 EST (US)     12 / 19       
Has anyone else had success with securom? I downloaded the file and followed the instructions to a "T". It still didn't work. So then I tried un-installing and re-installing the game, then patching and re-installing the new .exe file and still, it fails me...

[This message has been edited by Lord_of_Betio (edited 06-27-2007 @ 11:08 PM).]

PCDania
Archer
posted 06-28-07 12:01 EST (US)     13 / 19       
Have you tried running it in compartibility mode for WinXP?

1. Right-click the program icon and click Properties.
  2. On the Property sheet, click the Compatibility tab.
  3. In the dropdown menu select Windows XP

Have you tried running the game as administrator?

1. Right-click the program icon and click Properties.
  2. On the Property sheet, click the Compatibility tab.
  3. Under Privilege Level, select the "Run this program as an administrator" check box, and then click OK.

Also try disable the programs running in the background. This includes your antivirus software. If you disable your firewall remember to first disconnect from the internet.

In some cases on WinXP, SH2 will not start when the computer is connected to the internet so try disconnect from the internet before trying to start the game. If you like to play multiplayer simply alt+tab out of the game, reconnect to the internet and go back to the game.

Lord_of_Betio
Archer
posted 06-30-07 10:17 EST (US)     14 / 19       
well, since nothing seems to be working out for me, I'm just gonna have to stick with basic install, until at least they come out with a new patch to fix this. If in fact they do fix this in the new one. Rest assured though the game is still worth the intermittent issues.

Neil M
Archer
posted 07-03-07 10:12 EST (US)     15 / 19       

Yes, I'm another cursed with Vista. In my case, Vista Home Basic on a nice Toshiba Celeron 1.73G laptop.
I've installed Stronghold 2, but when I click play, all I get is "Remove disc.... and insert the oringal 'StrongHold 2 Disc 2' disc."
I tried activating XP but couldn't find the tab. I tried right-clicking the play buttton, but got nothing. I searched for a 'program' button, but coudn't find it.
Maybe I should become a later adopter.

Neil
PBGuardsman
Archer
posted 07-03-07 11:46 EST (US)     16 / 19       
I have the exact same problem as Neil M. Heres what I got

Vista
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUS)
1014MB RAM
Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family (224MB)
(this may be graphics card, this was as close as I could get.)
igdumd32.dll (Graphics driver)
Couldn't find a soundcard, but I have the driver
stwrt.sys
I ran this setup to play Crusader and it worked fine.

I just bought this game yesterday, so there are no inperfections on the discs.

The game installs fine, but when I put the play disk in I get a message:
Please remove disc from the current CD/DVD drive and insert the original "Stronghold 2 Disc 2" disc in
drive?:.
I am going on vacation so it may be a while before I respond. Thanks for your time.

[This message has been edited by PBGuardsman (edited 07-03-2007 @ 11:46 AM).]

PCDania
Archer
posted 07-03-07 12:33 EST (US)     17 / 19       
I suppose you have installed patch 1.3.1.

If you have then it looks like you have the SecuROM problem.

Load the disk in the drive and cancel the menu.

Rightclick either a shortcut to Stronghold 2 on the desktop, in the taskbar (Start - Programs - Firefly - Stronghold 2) or the Stronghold 2.exe in the games mainfolder.
Choose Launch Analysis in the resulting rightclick menu.
Zip the file with a program like WinZIP.
Send the zipped file attached to a mail telling your problem to support@securom.com

Usually securom answers within 48 hours.

Have a nice holyday and hope you can locate this thread again when you come back.

PBGuardsman
Archer
posted 07-09-07 15:04 EST (US)     18 / 19       
The secureCOM people sent me an email, so I was able to fix SH2. Thanks for all the help, hopefully I won't be back in this forum anytime soon.
PCDania
Archer
posted 07-10-07 06:11 EST (US)     19 / 19       
Thanks for telling it worked for you on Vista
Hope to see you in some of the other forums

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames