You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Issues
Moderated by Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Technical Issues » Patching Causes d3dx9_27.dll missing file error. Orignal install doesn't seem to use this file..
Bottom
Topic Subject:Patching Causes d3dx9_27.dll missing file error. Orignal install doesn't seem to use this file..
skyh
Archer
posted 03-17-09 19:25 EST (US)         
Hi All

My problem: the initial Stronghold 2 install runs OK. However, after using the Automatic Update feature, the game exits with a message that file d3dx9_27.dll is missing.

I downloaded the 1.4 update from Gamespot, and manually reran the patch - same error message.

I reinstalled Dx9 - still the same error.

I then uninstalled S2, rebooted and reinstalled S2 - the game again runs fine. I searched both the S2 and Windows directors, but found no file named d3dx9_27.dll.

This suggests to me that contrary to the posters in the other d3dx9_27.dll thread (http://stronghold.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forum/display.cgi?action=ct&f=26,3533,,10, d3dx9_27.dll is not a standard Microsoft file.

Possible scenarios:
1) Is d3dx9_27.dll something which is added by the patch?
2) Is it supposed to be added by the patch, but for some reason is not, hence the error?
3) Is the patched version erroneously looking for a non-existent d3dx9_27.dll?
4) Is d3dx9_27.dll a file which is somehow missing from many Windows installations, yet is required by the patch?
5) Or, finally, is d3dx9_27.dll in fact a standard Microsoft (DX9?) file, which the patch somehow deletes? And if so, where is it normally located?

Thanks,
Sky
AuthorReplies:
PCDania
Archer
(id: PCD)
posted 03-17-09 20:46 EST (US)     1 / 12       
My guess is you are using Vista as this error has only been reported on Vista, at least here at Heavengames.

d3dx9_27.dll is part of DirectX9. If reinstalling DirectX using the webinstaller at Microsoft does not solve the problem, try one of these two solutions:

Download the file here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3dx9_27
The file is to be placed in the C:\windows\system32 folder. The folder is a Protected system folder so you will have to disable "Hide protected operating system files" in Windows Explorer.

The other solution is to download the DirectX Redistributable here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/DirectX_Redistributable_d2924.html
Installation instructions:
Download the file to a place where it's easy to find like a special Downloads folder you create.
Run the file you downloaded.
Go to the folder DirectX extracted itself into and run DXSETUP.

If the latter solution does not work, then there is something on your computer that hinders DirectX in installing correctly. This can be your antivirus software, anti-spyware software or UAC (User Account Control).

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.

[This message has been edited by PCDania (edited 03-17-2009 @ 08:48 PM).]

Ouly
Archer
posted 03-18-09 07:04 EST (US)     2 / 12       
Hi Skyh

OK...first off, dl'ing d3dx9_27.dll and putting into the windows/system32 folder will fix the problem. Sir_Vet was kind enough to send it to me and I can send it to you if you like.

Second, I'm running xp home (2002) and had the same problem.

Third...I never had my old system online and only got dx from the games I purchased. The most current version I had was 9.0c.
When I set up my new comp. with xp home I installed service pack 2 for xp and I believe I got dx ver. 9.0c with it but no d3dx9_27.dll. (I had yet to install any games and never knew about other service packs)

All I can think of is that d3dx9_27.dll is not actually a normal dx file but part of service pack 3(?) for xp after 2002. When I tried to update dx from a game disk with 9.0c the installer immediately said it was finished without doing anything and still no d3dx9_27.dll. I even looked manually for the file on this disk with no luck. d3dx9.dll was there but not d3dx9_27.dll.

The original version does not need the file, but patch 1.4.1 does and really should include the file in my opinion.(even though this is not a FF issue)

The patch can't erase this file because I had no trouble the first time I installed this game and patched it on my old comp. I used to run xp pro and this OS probably had service pack 2&3 included as standard.

What's with the old saying, "Like having your cake and eating it too"? That's easy.
Now, eating your cake and still having it, that's a wee bit harder to do.

[This message has been edited by Ouly (edited 03-18-2009 @ 07:14 AM).]

PCDania
Archer
posted 03-18-09 10:48 EST (US)     3 / 12       
The most current version I had was 9.0c.
DirectX9c has been regularly updated for several years. The updates is mainly for best possible compatibility with the newest games and sometimes tweaks for slightly better performance. The file d3dx9_27.dll is part of one of these updates to DirectX9c which explains why some people don't have that file if they either don't know about updating DirectX or is unable to do so because of a slow or unstable internet connection.

DirectX is not a part of the operating system as such and therefore not a part of the service packs for WinXP, but a socalled API that makes it easier to make programs, especially games, run under Windows.
Link: Wikipedia article

If you have a slow or unstable internet connection it might be worth it checking out gaming magazines if the DVD contains the latest update to DirectX. Latest update is as I write this November 2008.

Note: Sinse shortly after the release of Vista, DirectX updates both DirectX9c and DirectX10. When installing it finds out itself what is needed to install.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.

[This message has been edited by PCDania (edited 03-18-2009 @ 10:56 AM).]

Ouly
Archer
posted 03-18-09 19:08 EST (US)     4 / 12       
Finally, it's all starting to make sense now.

Thanks for the explanation PCDania.

I had 2 games with ver. 9.0c and 1 must have been more current than the other. I just had the bad luck of grabbing the wrong 1 when trying to find d3dx9_27.dll.

The resident expert comes through again!

What's with the old saying, "Like having your cake and eating it too"? That's easy.
Now, eating your cake and still having it, that's a wee bit harder to do.
skyh
Archer
posted 03-19-09 12:52 EST (US)     5 / 12       
Hi All

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. I do have XP Pro, not Vista. Downloading the DX9 install from the link provided fixed the problem.

I'm not sure why I didn't get that file to start off with. I have upgraded XP to SP3, and I have updated everyhting (including DX9) every time I do a Windows Update. JUst one of life's little mysteries, I guess ...

Thanks,
Sky
PCDania
Archer
posted 03-19-09 15:13 EST (US)     6 / 12       
I'm not sure why I didn't get that file to start off with.
Ehh, sorry, but I link to it in the first reply to your request for help *Confused*
I have upgraded XP to SP3, and I have updated everyhting (including DX9) every time I do a Windows Update
DirectX is not part of SP3 for WinXP. I allways update manually on Windows Update and have never seen DirectX there. It might show up on Windows Update if a security problem that must be fixed shows up, but normally it's not available on Windows Update.

The DirectX download meant for consumers can be installed using the Webinstaller here:
DX webinstaller at Microsoft
Note: Link might not work

As I have seen reports of the webinstaller not allways working as expected I never point people there but instead to the Enduser Redistributable at Majorgeeks. Unfortunately this means people most times download more than needed but on the other hand, they are sure they get installed what is needed. The Enduser Redistributable is acutally meant for game developers to place on the gaming CD/DVD for automatic installation if need be. Gaming magazines very often also have it on their CD/DVD. The reason I link to Majorgeeks is the download is way easier to find there than at Microsoft.

What patch 1.4 goes, then it contains some updated graphics which is the reason for the sudden request for a directX file on some computers.

[This message has been edited by PCDania (edited 03-19-2009 @ 03:19 PM).]

Mathew Steel
Archer
posted 06-18-12 13:52 EST (US)     7 / 12       
This might sound a bit dull but by uninstalling DLL-FIXERS will it uninstall the d3dx9_27.dll as well I doubt it will but i just want to double check first.
PCDania
Archer
posted 06-19-12 03:04 EST (US)     8 / 12       
Uninstalling DLL-Fixers should not uninstall that file.

If you get a message related to d3dx9_27.dll simply install the latest release of DirectX and the problem is solved.
The download I link to is the WebInstaller so select Next (installing any of the Microsoft programs in the first popup is not required) and then Run after you click on the Download button.

[This message has been edited by PCDania (edited 06-19-2012 @ 03:08 AM).]

khushbu
Archer
posted 09-14-18 00:23 EST (US)     9 / 12       
There are many errors occur when you try to access the dll file. Some of installation, download, missing dll file problem then you have to sure that download the dll file from the trusted website. So here is the download missing d3dx9_27.dll file without any payment.
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 09-14-18 16:36 EST (US)     10 / 12       
I don't know whether that website is trusted. In this matter I would only trust Firefly and Microsoft.
PCDania
Archer
posted 09-14-18 17:32 EST (US)     11 / 12       
Today (this thread is 9 years old so khushbu is sort of spamming) games come with the needed extra software including DirectX version. I know that if you get your games through Steam everything needed should be included in the downloads, I believe gog handles it the same way.

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 09-15-18 13:51 EST (US)     12 / 12       
Yes, I also guessed this was some sort of a "smarter" spam, and that's why I acted. To avoid somebody doing harm to their PC because of this.

And yes, I would expect that too - GOG to provide anything needed in advance. If there is some issue they cannot help with, they always offer money back.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames