You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Sword and Buckler Inn
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.392 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Sword and Buckler Inn » THE SCEPTRE AND THE FALCHION - Discussion Thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:THE SCEPTRE AND THE FALCHION - Discussion Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 16  Next Page »
Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 09-13-05 15:44 EST (US)         
DISCUSSION THREAD
This is the official discussion thread for the story titled THE SCEPTRE AND THE FALCHION. This thread is for team writers to communicate with each other and for readers to communicate with the writing team. Please do not post comments or questions in the story thread. Thank you.

Story setting: British Isles in the 1300's. The reign of Edward III.
In this story authors will not be using their forum member names as in the story YOU ASKING? YOU DANCING? All characters will have orginal names. However, if you've used a particular character type, using the same type of character is certainly permitted as long as the name is different than your own screen name.

Story Research Links:

Maps:
http://graphics.britannia.com/tours/maps/ukmap.jpg
http://www.idbsu.edu/courses/hy309/topics/100yw/100yw.maps.html

Names:
Saint Gabriel name archive
English Names 1300 to 1450
French names

manuscripts written between 1300 -1400
Link
Check out the knights
medieval Lady
More than one to look at.

100 years war info:
http://www.ku.edu/kansas/medieval/108/lectures/hundred_years_war.html
http://www.theotherside.co.uk/tm-heritage/background/100yearswar.htm
http://www.bnf.fr/enluminures/aaccueil.htmThis site is filled with info and pictures. The Bibliothèque Nationale de France.

100 years war timeline
http://www.idbsu.edu/courses/hy309/topics/100yw/100yw.timeline.html
http://www.maisonstclaire.org/timeline/timeline.html1331-1340
From a SCA group, timeline with months and actual dates. This second link takes us right to Civis post.

Women who fought durring the 1300- 1400's
http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women14.html

Historical Figures
King Edward III
More Edward III

Weaponry
FALCHION OR FALCATA

MORE ABOUT THE FALCHION
THE MEDIEVAL FALCHION CIRCA 1300 AD

Direct link to the Story Thread

[This message has been edited by Lady Arcola (edited 09-17-2005 @ 00:38 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Wize1
Archer
posted 09-13-05 18:00 EST (US)     1 / 392       
Is it possible for my character to have a handgun that uses a hammer and single shot reload with black powder?

"The wise speak when they have something to say, the fools speak when they have to say something." -Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Wize1 (edited 09-13-2005 @ 06:37 PM).]

Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 09-13-05 19:06 EST (US)     2 / 392       
I do not think the weapon existed in that time period. The long bow and crossbow were the primary ranged hand weapons. That's my input, but if others don't mind the historical anomaly, then I won't mind it. Best have a good explanation ready because a discerning reader will know it's a weapon out of time and place.
Wize1
Archer
posted 09-13-05 19:10 EST (US)     3 / 392       
hmm, they had them in asia, they also had cannons in the 100 years war, but no muskets or anything..

"The wise speak when they have something to say, the fools speak when they have to say something." -Anonymous
Jax
HG Monument
(id: Jax Omen)
posted 09-14-05 13:05 EST (US)     4 / 392       
Am I allowed to comment in this thread? I would, as Civis said, only like to see a gun if their is a good reason. maybe it could be a little aside to the main story?

Anyway, I'm posting mainly to say that the story sounds interesting, and I'm rubbing my hands in anticipation of it getting going. Seems like you've done your research and planning pertty well. Good look guys (and gals )!

house won this
Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 09-14-05 16:27 EST (US)     5 / 392       
The story is open for business.
Nimmanu
Archer
posted 09-14-05 17:53 EST (US)     6 / 392       
So are you going to give us a bit more to work with, or are you expecting us to just jump in and start running with it? Because frankly, I have no idea where to situate my character geographically, or if we're all where-ever we want to be without regard to where anyone else is.

And stuff.

Circumstances do not make a man, they reveal him.
- James Allen
Success is a matter of a few simple disciplines, practiced every day. Failure is a few errors in judgement, repeated every day.
- Jim Rohn
Wize1
Archer
posted 09-14-05 18:22 EST (US)     7 / 392       
Right.

Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 09-14-05 20:27 EST (US)     8 / 392       
I anticipated you might ask for that. Frankly, I ran out of time to finish the intro piece. I think another setting post by me and we'll be good to go. I'll give you a clear signal to begin posting to the story.

Argh, the impatience of youth!

Nimmanu
Archer
posted 09-14-05 20:42 EST (US)     9 / 392       
Actually, I thought that WAS the "clear" indication to start posting, the 'it's up and running', so I decided to indicate clearly my befuddlement, JIC.

But hurry up!

- James Allen
Success is a matter of a few simple disciplines, practiced every day. Failure is a few errors in judgement, repeated every day.
- Jim Rohn

[This message has been edited by Nimmanu (edited 09-14-2005 @ 08:42 PM).]

Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 09-14-05 21:44 EST (US)     10 / 392       
I declare you unbefuddled, Nimmanu, and the light is most obviously a green one.

Answer the call to arms all of you and journey forth from wherever you choose!

[This message has been edited by Civis Romanus (edited 09-14-2005 @ 10:02 PM).]

Wize1
Archer
posted 09-14-05 22:55 EST (US)     11 / 392       
i'm too scared to post.. i always fail at everything

Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 09-15-05 10:59 EST (US)     12 / 392       
There is no such thing as failure here. I was just as worried about the acceptance of my first story post six years ago. When I finally drew up the courage, the post was two paragraphs and 6 sentences long. That's it. Give it a try Wize1. Hint: Describe your character leaving his village for the first time.
Lady Arcola
SHH Seraph
posted 09-15-05 14:57 EST (US)     13 / 392       
Wow !!I just added this to the header post for all of us, very good read and tells who was fighting who and what time of year it was. read what was happening right up to Civis's starting post.
Read what happend after on this timeline of the 100 years war from 1331 to 1340

Hope this inspires.

«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»
Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

~ BFME2 Heaven | Stronghold Heaven | Stronghold 2 Heaven~
«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»«..»º©º«..»º©º«..»
Wize1
Archer
posted 09-15-05 17:55 EST (US)     14 / 392       
omg, mine was stupid..

Nimmanu
Archer
posted 09-15-05 18:00 EST (US)     15 / 392       
Okay, that's not allowed anymore.

If you want reassurance, or if you are curious as to how we take things, it's fine to ask. But no more belittling yourself.

I have spoken!

erm, I have typed!

Well, whatever. Either way, no more of that. You're welcome here, you're part of the story, and that's the end of that.

It distresses me to see you being so ugly. You wouldn't say that to me, would you? You don't even have to live with me, and you'd never dream of being so ugly to me. You have to live with yourself, so knock it off. The guy you have to live with is starting to take your ugly words to heart.

- James Allen
- Jim Rohn
Wize1
Archer
posted 09-15-05 18:02 EST (US)     16 / 392       
*swallows and stares*

Nimmanu
Archer
posted 09-15-05 18:03 EST (US)     17 / 392       
*poke poke*

A little gentleness towards yourself goes a loooong way, dear one.

- James Allen
- Jim Rohn
Wize1
Archer
posted 09-15-05 18:06 EST (US)     18 / 392       
i'm just a kid.. you're not supposed to hit me with a reality check and make me feel like an idiot.. even though I find it quite interesting that you have the ability to see past BS.. nice job..

Nimmanu
Archer
posted 09-15-05 18:11 EST (US)     19 / 392       

*bow*

And yes, I think you did a fine job. You included the pertinent bits, and you introduced movement towards the plot line.

The others of us can easily carry the "intensity" of the story, and weave you in and out of it. When you gain more confidence and get to know us better, you'll find youself better able to throw us some surprises.

- James Allen
- Jim Rohn

[This message has been edited by Nimmanu (edited 09-15-2005 @ 06:14 PM).]

Wize1
Archer
posted 09-15-05 18:14 EST (US)     20 / 392       
Anyways, I guess it wasn't a request for reassurance, more like a way how I perceived it after t'was written.. it seemed.. limited and.. dull.. needed more info..

Nimmanu
Archer
posted 09-15-05 18:17 EST (US)     21 / 392       
So edit it! I do it all the time. In fact, I did it to mine, about 15 times.

- James Allen
- Jim Rohn
Wize1
Archer
posted 09-15-05 18:17 EST (US)     22 / 392       
i'm not a talker-person-guy.. i'm really into descriptive combat.. : ) *has to use dictionary.com quite often to understand you guys*

[This message has been edited by Wize1 (edited 09-15-2005 @ 06:19 PM).]

Nimmanu
Archer
posted 09-15-05 18:19 EST (US)     23 / 392       
So you'll have to leave your comfort zone! In the immortal words of the Waterboy, "you can doooo eet!"

Or, if you don't want to leave your comfort zone, just accept yourself as you are, and don't put ugly labels on it. It's the label you put on yourself that I find upsetting. It's so unnecessary.

Personally, I think you know you can do it, so you smack yourself. Either go ahead and go do it, or accept that you don't WANT to, and that's okay.

But no ugly labels!

- James Allen
- Jim Rohn

[This message has been edited by Nimmanu (edited 09-15-2005 @ 06:26 PM).]

Wize1
Archer
posted 09-15-05 18:24 EST (US)     24 / 392       
...... you can't be serious..

Nimmanu
Archer
posted 09-15-05 18:27 EST (US)     25 / 392       
as a heart attack!

- James Allen
- Jim Rohn
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 16  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames