You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Website Announcements and Updates
Moderated by Lady Arcola, Doomsword

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.52 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Website Announcements and Updates » Stronghold Maps of The Week!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Stronghold Maps of The Week!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-12-11 15:40 EST (US)         
This thread is designated to the Stronghold maps that get newsed weekly. They will be listed in this post, while the thread will be open for everyone to discuss the maps.

November 2011:
SHC - Over Crowding by Fayez2010
SH1 - Provisions for the winter by LegionHero
SH2 - Ardeche by Jaliss
SHC - Saladin's mercy, Saladin's rage by return of Yasko

December 2011:
SH1 - Blackwood castle 1355 by DeSteff2222
SHC - Curtains Down by Hobbithole
SH1 - The Christmas Fort by Adam the First

January
SHC - Meadows by Fayez2010
SH3 - The Old Mountain Fortress by gruso

February
SHC - Wadi l-Kbir by Korsfarer Mogens
SH3 - Hate out of Jealousy by Stratego

March
- No maps -

May
SH1 - Rise of an Empire - chapter 1 - by LegionHero

Also any suggestions are welcome as long as:
- It is not a map made by you.
- It is a recently submitted map (past 3 months)

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//

[This message has been edited by Lord_of_Hell (edited 05-01-2012 @ 06:53 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Mathew Steel
Archer
posted 11-13-11 03:34 EST (US)     1 / 52       
In two weeks my new map will be up and running so if you carry this on for the time on the forums, maybe i could make it. SH2, take a look at my Up-Coming News topic for more information.
Fayez2010
Archer
posted 11-16-11 01:51 EST (US)     2 / 52       
So, next week is for SH2? And where is SHL list?

Titanic is as strong, even God can't sink it.
GiGaBaNE
Archer
posted 11-16-11 02:14 EST (US)     3 / 52       
we are in the 3rd quarter of november so now is SH2 really.
maybe shl is week 1 dec

Warning: Smokers computers die younger. Dont let them breath your smoke, or at least clean the heatsinks 5 times more often than a non smoker!

My opinion is free, spellchecking costs extra.
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-16-11 03:55 EST (US)     4 / 52       
Unfortunately there are no recent SHL maps good enough to be newsed. They are very few at all and choosing one for news would mean going back anywhere from a couple of months to years. As soon as one gets released, it will be newsed.

This week is going to be a SH2 scenario and probably next week a Stronghold 3.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Fayez2010
Archer
posted 11-17-11 05:03 EST (US)     5 / 52       
I'll make good maps for SHL (after some days) as well as for Crusader and revive the classical game play and map designs of thy Stronghold game!

I'm not forcing you to add SHL list at this time, coz I know about SHL maps present in Download Section. So wait for some days for good maps. Also that SHL isn't very famous among players. Isn't it?

WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 11-17-11 10:53 EST (US)     6 / 52       
I personally think you're better off picking the best maps this site has to offer overall, not just what's new.
There isn't enough quality coming in to feed this weekly write-up in my opinion, and it will not showcase what this place really has to offer.
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of rewarding new members but we're not seeing maps that have taken weeks or months to produce anymore, they're the scenarios that deserve recognition.

Just my opinion obviously, I'll still follow this and comment when I see something truly great.
GiGaBaNE
Archer
posted 11-17-11 11:23 EST (US)     7 / 52       
maybe:

map of the week
map of the year
top 10 maps of all time?

Warning: Smokers computers die younger. Dont let them breath your smoke, or at least clean the heatsinks 5 times more often than a non smoker!

My opinion is free, spellchecking costs extra.
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-17-11 12:21 EST (US)     8 / 52       
Yes fayez, SHL is not such a popular game among mapmakers, but a good release will certainly get noticed.

Arthus, you got a point, but for now I prefer just to stick with new releases until there are no more good maps to choose from. Old epic maps are already high-rated and receive downloads well thanks to the tops & ordering by rating.

I know most of the maps are not up to your standard but what I'm trying is to convince mapmakers get even better and improve on their skills. Before skill, is training and before it, is potential.

I'll keep in mind your suggestion of newsing old great maps though, thanks

GiGaBaNE, that's a good thinking, but stuff like map of the month, not to mention map of the year would need several opinions to decide the winner, not only mine. I'll keep that in mind however, and in the near future I may set up a voting thread for a map going further than the "week" achievement.

All in all I appreciate the opinions.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 11-17-11 20:13 EST (US)     9 / 52       
I know most of the maps are not up to your standard but what I'm trying is to convince mapmakers get even better and improve on their skills. Before skill, is training and before it, is potential.
I think the bar was set as high as possible by a few people back when I was actively mapmaking, I miss those days but there is emerging talet around still.
Like I said i'm all for the idea of encouraging new mapmakers but I fear in doing so the quality standard may not be set high enough, and thus, there is no incentive to improve a great deal. I may be and hopefully am completely wrong.

Another idea if you do decide to promote some older maps is to perhaps choose ones that are yet to be reviewed. As you rightfully say most well known mapmakers have decent exposure already thanks to good reviews so there is little point showcasing something that most have already played.

I remember downloading quality maps a few years back and being baffled by how little attention they got, people always used to download maps that had reviews over those that didn't. It was sad to see a 3.4 map have a higher download count then a map that was easily deserving of a 4.5...

Anyway continue what you're doing, it's been a long time since this place has had an active cherub so know that your work is appreciated. If the time comes that you go searching for forgotten talent email me and i'll be able to help.
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-18-11 04:06 EST (US)     10 / 52       
Another idea if you do decide to promote some older maps is to perhaps choose ones that are yet to be reviewed. As you rightfully say most well known mapmakers have decent exposure already thanks to good reviews so there is little point showcasing something that most have already played.
Indeed, that would be the preferred choice. I'll be sure to e-mail you when needed, thanks

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Fayez2010
Archer
posted 11-18-11 05:09 EST (US)     11 / 52       
You're right, Arthus. The rating value for SHC and SH1 maps have become high that a simple map can easily get a 4. Whereas quality isn't the same as that of old good maps. So I think promoting old maps is a good suggestion as it will refresh those golden maps as well as help the new makers to improve their maps design n script. But keep announcing those "new" week maps, Lord_of_Hell.

By the way, have you returned in mapmaking, Arhtus?

[This message has been edited by Fayez2010 (edited 11-18-2011 @ 05:12 AM).]

WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 11-18-11 09:58 EST (US)     12 / 52       
You're right, Arthus. The rating value for SHC and SH1 maps have become high that a simple map can easily get a 4
Yep, there are a handful of great designers still active that deserve reviews in the 4-4.6 range but I don't think the goal is to rotate 'map of the week' between 3 or so people. That is basically what i'm getting at, for the sake of sharing the love around eventually a designer not worthy of accolades is going to be mentioned and I think when that time comes there needs to be plans to expand this weekly feature.
For the record I hope you promote your own work too Lord_of_Hell, even if it means we pick one out for you
By the way, have you returned in mapmaking, Arhtus?
Seriously thinking about it, but not yet. Still have an urge to make SH1 maps, maybe if the site gets a competition going i'll join in the fun.

I am not a fan of SH3 though, the editor is great but if there isn't a large audience looking for maps I'm not going to bother with it.

[This message has been edited by WL_D Arthus (edited 11-18-2011 @ 09:59 AM).]

Fayez2010
Archer
posted 11-18-11 12:32 EST (US)     13 / 52       
Seriously thinking about it, but not yet. Still have an urge to make SH1 maps
*If you come back, then please tell and teach me that how do you make those majestic mountains? I really liked your mountains! Such as in Ourea and your unfinished projects. And...

*Can you please answer my these questions?

[This message has been edited by Fayez2010 (edited 11-18-2011 @ 12:38 PM).]

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-18-11 13:16 EST (US)     14 / 52       
Yep, there are a handful of great designers still active that deserve reviews in the 4-4.6 range but I don't think the goal is to rotate 'map of the week' between 3 or so people. That is basically what i'm getting at, for the sake of sharing the love around eventually a designer not worthy of accolades is going to be mentioned and I think when that time comes there needs to be plans to expand this weekly feature.
I'll keep that in mind.
For the record I hope you promote your own work too Lord_of_Hell, even if it means we pick one out for you
I was thinking not to do that to avoid people thinking the staff members have any priority among the chosen mapmakers.
However if anyone suggests one of my recent work, I can't be against him and I'll probably keep it for when I don't have SHC maps to choose from.
Seriously thinking about it, but not yet. Still have an urge to make SH1 maps, maybe if the site gets a competition going i'll join in the fun.
I like how that sounds. Maybe I'll open a thread for that purpose to see who would be willing to join such a competition.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 11-19-11 03:15 EST (US)     15 / 52       
I was thinking not to do that to avoid people thinking the staff members have any priority among the chosen mapmakers.
I don't think anyone will accuse you of that, it's clear your recent work is of high quality. Let another mod do the writeup for you, that way it doesn't seem wierd
Maybe I'll open a thread for that purpose to see who would be willing to join such a competition.
If you can organize a custom title as the prize you'll get far more interest I think, history is a pretty clear indicator that exposure on the homepage is not enough incentive.
Not sure what the new HG management is like but you could also ask for a prize. HG has always had very tight pockets but a little bit of grovelling in the HG moderation room may get results.
Likewise with FF, ask them for a steam code for SH3, i'm sure they'd like to be seen as giving to the community right now
I would be very suprised if they turned down a formal request from SHH.

That's what i'd do if I was a mod right now anyway, try to do your best for the members. Of course this is not all down to you Lord_of_Hell, but seeing as you're the most active maybe you can post in the mod room.

Sorry for going off-topic, we need a place to discuss competition talk
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-19-11 15:46 EST (US)     16 / 52       
Week Map Three newsed.

Will post that thread Arthus

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-27-11 16:57 EST (US)     17 / 52       
Week map 4 newsed.

December challenges are awaiting.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
return of Yasko
Archer
posted 11-29-11 06:05 EST (US)     18 / 52       
I made a map of the week

Thanks, LOH

I'm hoping SH3 gets the kinks worked out soon. Fertile ground for some great map scenarios there.
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-29-11 08:26 EST (US)     19 / 52       
Indeed. More SH3 maps are needed to choose from however.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 12-04-11 12:14 EST (US)     20 / 52       
DeSteff2222's SH1 map was chosen as a week map.
Great job DeSteff!

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
peter2008
Knight
posted 12-09-11 12:40 EST (US)     21 / 52       
A Crusader map by Hobbithole will probably be a Map of the Week?

(One of the Johanns ...)

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 12-09-11 12:45 EST (US)     22 / 52       
Spotted them
Well, future week maps are supposed to be a surprise

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 12-11-11 16:54 EST (US)     23 / 52       
Week map 6 spotlighted!

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 12-19-11 13:47 EST (US)     24 / 52       
A SH1 map could not be chosen from the recent submissions for the week map 7 (although there were some candidates).
I'll pick a map for week 8 soon (also the last one this year)

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Hobbitsavior
Archer
posted 12-19-11 21:23 EST (US)     25 / 52       
Wow. Thanks for the map of the week guys.. I guess this is what fame feels like?

I am going to be updating a few of my other recently updated maps too, so keep an eye out if you liked Curtains Down.

Hobbitsavior, Savior of Hobbits and General Mischief-maker
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames