You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.194 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Contest Ideas
Bottom
Topic Subject:Contest Ideas
« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7 8  Next Page »
Dpminatr
Archer
posted 12-17-05 15:07 EST (US)         
The Contest Ideas thread seems to have expired. I'm making it to save Kester the trouble.
I'll start with one

Best Eye-Candy Contest-Judged on appearence of eye-candy itself and surrounding landscape

"If your rich uncle bought a new house and you had to help take the wheels off, you might be a redneck." -Jeff Foxworthy
"There was this one girl I was seein' for a few weeks, 'till someone took the binoculars outta my truck." -Larry the Cable Guy
AuthorReplies:
DragonSpawn
Archer
posted 03-21-08 04:21 EST (US)     126 / 194       
The most realistic, well known historical event, and well known historical place contests all sound interesting to me

< This is often how my enemies react....
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 04-03-08 09:43 EST (US)     127 / 194       
Time to formally open up discussions for a new competition methinks

Before I start, there will be a Stronghold 2 and Legends competition announced soon (next week, in fact) that will run in tandem with a Stronghold competition. I thought i'd mention it to generate a little interest for those who play these two games. Lord Tanthos and Sir_Vet will be the judges. More details to follow very soon...

Having read through the plethora of ideas, I really do think that a historical recreation competition would be a great way to really test those design skills! Unless anyone has any objections (and please say so if you do), shall I think up five potential castles for Stronghold and five for Crusader and let you choose which one you would want to attempt? Shall I choose one or two well known ones that are large-scale, one or two smaller-scale (maybe including a motte and bailey-style castle) and one completely random castle that you will need to research?

In case anyone is wondering (i'm looking at you, my dear subin), i'm happy to have this open for both Stronghold and Crusader, and as with the Fantasy competition, you can submit two maps per person; one SH1 and one Crusader scenario.

OTHER THOUGHTS

-Do you want full-blown scenarios (invasions, sieges, economic) or just 'visual' eye-candy castles (a freebuild, as it were, with no events required)?
-Do you agree that part of your submission should include a full historical write-up of the castle and its' history (or is this just me pandering for something fascinating to read?!)
-If the competition was formally announced in the next week or two, would a deadline of mid-July be enough time for you all to create your masterpieces? There is a reason for this... i'm on a well deserved holiday for two weeks in June, and i'm conscious that if I can't find a member of staff to help me judge i'll be doing it all myself...

Any other thoughts or variations on the above? I'm happy to go with the majority decision
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 04-03-08 11:44 EST (US)     128 / 194       
I wasn't expecting a historical contest but something is better than nothing.

I prefer eye candy for a competition because it will allow us to recreate a castle without worrying whether the playability will be affected.

But then again the many will want an invasion or a siege.

The time limit is perfect for me. No need for more time and I wouldnt mind the contest beginning next week.
i'm looking at you, my dear subin
What?..... Why is everyone looking at me?
In case anyone is wondering (i'm looking at you, my dear subin), i'm happy to have this open for both Stronghold and Crusader, and as with the Fantasy competition, you can submit two maps per person; one SH1 and one Crusader scenario.
That is great.

I wonder which castles you are going to choose. Big ones would be better made eyecandy and small ones invasions or sieges.

I hope yo wont choose a map that has already been made or is being made.

I would like some other type of competition though.

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
Doomsword
Earl
posted 04-05-08 11:15 EST (US)     129 / 194       
OTHER THOUGHTS

-Do you want full-blown scenarios (invasions, sieges, economic) or just 'visual' eye-candy castles (a freebuild, as it were, with no events required)?
If it's not good and playable, what's the point. A freebuild would be better than nothing but leaves out half of the editor. It should be open.
-Do you agree that part of your submission should include a full historical write-up of the castle and its' history (or is this just me pandering for something fascinating to read?!)
Requiring a brief overview should be enough rather than 'a full historical write up' as language barriers or lack of writing skill/desire (/me) should not reflect on playing Stronghold.
-If the competition was formally announced in the next week or two, would a deadline of mid-July be enough time for you all to create your masterpieces? There is a reason for this... i'm on a well deserved holiday for two weeks in June, and i'm conscious that if I can't find a member of staff to help me judge i'll be doing it all myself...
By next week or two do you mean the next week or two in actual time?
Any other thoughts or variations on the above? I'm happy to go with the majority decision

/\.........................../\
/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
/_/./././|||||||||||||\.\.\.\_\
/_/./_/{||||||||||}\_\.\_\
/_/......X..|||..X......\_\

[This message has been edited by Doomsword (edited 04-05-2008 @ 11:18 AM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-05-08 12:57 EST (US)     130 / 194       
I happy with anything so long as ample time is given. July sounds good to me

I cant wait!

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
GrumpyGills
Archer
posted 04-05-08 19:02 EST (US)     131 / 194       
I've been waiting for a design competition ever since the SHK one finished for.. over a week! actually 2!! Such indignity

I'd be keen on trying what you guys over here offer, sounds fun!

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
The Buddha Gautama

Creator of the Syr Groompi maps<
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-08-08 05:41 EST (US)     132 / 194       
Please make the next comp one that tests creativity, speed comps dont really do anything for me

Just an opinion,
Arthus

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 04-08-08 05:46 EST (US)     133 / 194       
I would prefer a speed contest. Its because I prefer to have more fun and not just enter some contest and win it when it is extremely boring.

A historic contest wouldnt hurt though.

Subindxsubin
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
ericgolf
Earl
posted 04-08-08 09:01 EST (US)     134 / 194       
What about a SH1 competition like Sparrows extreme challenge but on maps that are not quite so hard?

Players play the same map and submit a game save close to the victory, a screenshot of the victory banner and a screenshot of the score screen.

Players compete on score at various difficulty levels.

There would be honours to be won for the heighest score at each of the different levels on a given map.

Not sure how the maps would be chosen though... At random from SH1 invasions? OR Nominated then voted on with the map with most votes being next to be played?

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Lugm Campaign Contribute a Review
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 04-08-08 10:26 EST (US)     135 / 194       
WoW, when did Ericgold turn green?

Subindxsubin
GrumpyGills
Archer
posted 04-08-08 18:32 EST (US)     136 / 194       
Well I think I have waited long enough for a competition now, even after giving ideas, so here are some that I had earlier:

My first, and my favourite idea would be to represent any aspect of medieval life in any editor (or just the original 2). It could be in 3 categories, towns (and co.), castles (and co.), and other. Or there wouldn't be any categories except for the different games.

Anyway, so you could show a little hermits village, or a towering castle.
But the thing is, it has to be from the medieval period, no elves and magical things, and no paved streets for a little hamlet, it just didn't happen. Sometimes only a huge town would have a paved road for it's high street.

Another possible one is tied with the first, where you actually rebuild a building, or terrain that existed in the medieval period. So you could re-build Edinburgh castle, or if you live in the UK/Europe, you could rebuild your town as it was 500+ years ago, or rebuild that ancient church down the road. But it has to be historical, so I think preferably if you could have evidence that it is historical.

I think both should be made playable, but that could also prove a little hard, as these maps are meant to be for looking, as who is to say that castle was ever besieged? However you could pretend as if that castle was preparing for a siege, or it was a particularly bad famine, and you must gather food, while beating off bandits.

Anyway, just an idea.

gg.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
The Buddha Gautama

Creator of the Syr Groompi maps<
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 04-09-08 23:17 EST (US)     137 / 194       
Hs one week passed already?

Subindxsubin
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 04-11-08 07:45 EST (US)     138 / 194       
I think it has, subin

Okay, I think we will go with a historical competition, using full events... testing your creativity, in other words! There won't be a need for a full historical write-up, but an introduction to the castle you have chosen will suffice.

I'm still thinking about specifically what you need to do, what castles you could model, and how to judge (i.e. aesthetic appearance, use of events, etc) but i'll let you know as soon as I have worked out what to do.

Regarding the other ideas, there's nothing to stop us having more competitions on a more frequent basis and I like subin's speed contest (possibly the next one to sort out?) and GrumpyGill's ideas, as well as resurrecting Sparrow's Extreme Challenges... so much choice!

:: runs of to think even more ::
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 04-11-08 07:50 EST (US)     139 / 194       
Great to know that the speed contest is coming and so is for the historic map contest.

Why not get sparrow back on the team?
He should be ok with that.

Or just give sparrow charge of the challenges. He will run it with sulis.

That should do. Just a few ideas though.

Subindxsubin
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 04-11-08 07:59 EST (US)     140 / 194       
Just a thought, but does anyone have a major problem with the idea given that Duke of York is trying to generate similar content for the CoTW articles?
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 04-11-08 08:06 EST (US)     141 / 194       
That was just what I was thinking and I didnt say about it thinking that you made a decision about it.

Well, if the maps made for the competition can be entered for the challenge then its ok.

The only thing is to make sure that you find historic castles who dont have an article.

Now we will have wuite a few articles.

The better alternative maybe to just make the next one a speed contest or how about a freebuild since we havent had one.

My favorites would be to have a screenshot competition or a speed contest.

Subindxsubin
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 04-11-08 08:08 EST (US)     142 / 194       
I think Duke of York's challenge is ok. However, I would not find it surprising if some of the mappers would rather write their own COTW articles for the castles (based on real castles) that they make. In fact, I'd encourage them if they wish to.

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-11-08 08:15 EST (US)     143 / 194       
It certainly has its weakness when comparing it to a compeition if thats what you are asking. It just doesnt get that buzz and excitement brewing like a comp can, the thrill of competing for top honors means everyone raises the bar.
Compare a mapmakers every day creations to that of a competition map, there will always be an improvment. Thats not to say DoYs idea is bad, far from it, but i'd really like a historical map contest which gives ample time for completion

Maybe the winners map could acompany the castle of the week article? just an idea. Just so long as the comp promotes creativity and map making skills, im not a fan of speed and score competitions - they just prove who the best player is... play on gamespy if you want to find that out!
Relax... im just kidding around,
Arthus

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

subindxsubin
Archer
posted 04-11-08 08:24 EST (US)     144 / 194       
I suggested the same thing warlord designs.

The only thing is for sulis to select maps that dont have an article.

I would really like a speed contest or screenshot comp though. I want more fun.

Subindxsubin
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 04-11-08 11:59 EST (US)     145 / 194       
How about these

Strongest castle with the least amount of space and units used

Castle Design: Designing the most efficent and impressive castle

Subindxsubin
artofmath
Archer
posted 04-15-08 18:28 EST (US)     146 / 194       
Easy. 12 round towers, 12 ballistas, extra-crammed with xbows, ballistas, braziers, and the surrounding terrain covered in 2x2 pitch ditches. :P

..."religion is the opium of the masses"... - Karl Marx.
von Schmidt
Archer
posted 06-19-08 20:36 EST (US)     147 / 194       
A funny screenshot comp! I saw one at Aok Heaven, that was cool.

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES GUILLOTINE

YAH
Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 10-07-08 17:11 EST (US)     148 / 194       
A Crusader challenge, instead of talking about it I made a map yesterday, it's a small200 eco-invasion map, your goal is to collect iron, but it won't be easy, and you have 6 years.

First thing, can I get permission to hold a contest or would Heavengames be interested in helping out. I'm thinking of a quick little contest for fun. It could be a quick weekend or a couple of weeks running. Like we did with SH2 and Legends (Quest for Gold),sorry I don't have the original Stronghold.

When I tested the map it took me 4 tries to defeat the 6 crossbows guarding the iron, with 6 archers 4 fire throwers, you can't get right into where the guards are, and you can't get the iron until the guards are removed, plus the economy has it's own challenges.

Is anyone interested or should I just post it as an invasion map.

Just trying to provide some fun!

Sir_Vet
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 10-07-08 20:54 EST (US)     149 / 194       
I think because of how small the community is now we'll go for a broader approach going into the next official competition. Another Fantasy competiton is what i'd like to see but there really is no point when no one is interested...

We only got 1 very late entry last time we tried having a comp which is sad. I'm all for anoher try but only if the interest is there
Fintrollx
Archer
posted 10-08-08 06:35 EST (US)     150 / 194       
I Might be interested on future competitions, just bring em on!

If you like very big battles, i suggest you to try Massacre at Tenjin
« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7 8  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames