You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.194 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Contest Ideas
Bottom
Topic Subject:Contest Ideas
« Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7 8  Next Page »
Dpminatr
Archer
posted 12-17-05 15:07 EST (US)         
The Contest Ideas thread seems to have expired. I'm making it to save Kester the trouble.
I'll start with one

Best Eye-Candy Contest-Judged on appearence of eye-candy itself and surrounding landscape

"If your rich uncle bought a new house and you had to help take the wheels off, you might be a redneck." -Jeff Foxworthy
"There was this one girl I was seein' for a few weeks, 'till someone took the binoculars outta my truck." -Larry the Cable Guy
AuthorReplies:
Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 10-31-08 18:13 EST (US)     151 / 194       
I posted my map(An Iron Job Jack O), and in the zip folder I've added a Challenge map, same map I just dropped the win condition.

If you have a little of the competitive juices flowing, head on over to the Crusader invasion section and check it out, you have nothing to lose and for that matter nothing to win, but we can try and have a little fun, give it a try and send me your saved game and I will post your scores:-)

Sir_Vet
von Schmidt
Archer
posted 05-19-09 14:44 EST (US)     152 / 194       
Recently I got this idea about having holiday-themed contests, like on Halloween, Christmas, Thanksgiving... Easter, maybe? (Death bunnies!)

What do you guys think of that idea?

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES GUILLOTINE

YAH
Lord_OSirideain
Archer
posted 08-27-10 11:15 EST (US)     153 / 194       

hi all ,
i like the idea of doing an eyecandy competition with set perameters

but i would also like to see a kingmaker tournament using the same map for all in each round, and changing the map round by round building up to an awesome finale where the winner may earn a new custom title on SHH

just an idea

would probably be too hard to organise or not even possible
but a suggestion none the less

tresspassers will be shot......
survivors will be shot again!
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-20-11 15:54 EST (US)     154 / 194       
Stronghold Heaven will soon host a competition.

Before that happens, please post here any ideas/suggestions you would have about it:
- What game(s) should the competition include
- What should it be about? Mapmaking, Gameplay skill, Scripting, anything else.
- What prize should the winner get? (A custom title is possible)
- Any other ideas

The bigger the interest in a competition will be, the bigger the prizes may get

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Fayez2010
Archer
posted 11-21-11 04:56 EST (US)     155 / 194       
If the competition is of Crusader, on map design and scripting, I'll participate. But from next friday, my exams are starting.

Titanic is as strong, even God can't sink it.
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-21-11 09:42 EST (US)     156 / 194       
The competition will have a time limit from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, depending to what it will be about. It will hopefully be provided enough time for everyone.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
DesertMonarch
Archer
posted 11-24-11 05:04 EST (US)     157 / 194       
I would suggest to keep the "official requirments" like which games, what sort of map and what sort of challenge as low as possible. I understand that the judging gets harder as there will be more differences between the maps, but since the community isn't the biggest. You can't afford to lose competitors because you choose to create a competition that only attracts to a couple of players.
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-24-11 08:18 EST (US)     158 / 194       
Good point, but everything is still on the idea level. If people are not showing interest in a competition there is no point to start one.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 11-26-11 02:57 EST (US)     159 / 194       
Best overall fantasy map, using any SH game you want.

2 months to make and submit your entry and the winner gets a SH game of their choice along with a custom title.

That's my idea of an ideal competition, if something similar gets the nod i'll be opening up SH1 again
Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 11-26-11 13:10 EST (US)     160 / 194       
A few competitions might rekindle interest in the site again, I was hoping the new disastrous SH3 would help, but...

WL_D Arthus fantasy map would be great or best landscape or city or castle.... but I think most people that would enter would already own all of the games, new title would be interesting, master map maker, master sieger, master gatherer... top poster, most downloaded, the ideas are endless. Did you not give out T-Shirts a long time ago?

Consider this, if you had a small comp every 2 weeks, I made a contest map for SH2 and SHL, it was quick and easy and the players seamed to enjoy it. I've also made a few quick and easy challenge maps and got a good response, allowing of course the amount of people still coming to the site.

At first you would only get a few people joining in the contests, but I think if it were to be done every 2 weeks the amount of players would increase. And at the same time having a larger contest like Arthus suggested would help as well.

I would be willing to make some maps in any of the series for a quick challenging contest, as I'm sure others would be willing to make a few maps as well. The challenge could be for almost any condition- most gold or iron or, quickest time completed, highest population, again the ideas are endless, but make it quick 30 minutes or less but challenging enough for different scores.

Well, just a few ideas:-)

Sir_Vet
Lord_Arion
Archer
posted 11-28-11 19:30 EST (US)     161 / 194       
Many people ask about reviving the community. As a loyal subject of Stronghold Heaven I wish to propose a tournament.A tournament within Stronghold Crusader or Stronghold 2, whatever has the popular vote. A tournament for glory and honor. A tournament for lords and ladies to gather and test their skills against one another in the field of battle and return with tales of triumph or defeat. Of war and prosperity.Leave replies answering yay or nay, and if yay which battlefield, Crusader or Stronghold 2.

I shall bring down your castle, stone by stone, if I must, but I will have your head.
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-28-11 19:39 EST (US)     162 / 194       
Good points Sir_Vet, I like the idea of a periodical contest, but 2 week may sound a bit short for a start. Will keep that in mind though.

Lord_Arion, since there are ten times more crusader fans, I think SH2 will be outnumbered. Let's see what else thoughts show up.

A multiplayer contest is out of question.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//

[This message has been edited by Lord_of_Hell (edited 11-28-2011 @ 07:40 PM).]

Lord_Arion
Archer
posted 11-28-11 19:41 EST (US)     163 / 194       
Crusader would work well as a battlefield. Beloved by I would estimate the mass majority, maybe not unanimous, would go for Crusader, including myself. If SH3 multiplayer could start working with some sort of consistency that as well could work, Crusader would still outnumber it though. Probably cause Crusader just rocks.

Sir Vet does have some good ideas. Like a map design competition sort of thing as previously brought up would be an excellent idea. Scenario design would probably be perfect as I have seen many map designers that are really good at what they do and I'm sure they would love an opportunity to produce some new material for the masses.

I shall bring down your castle, stone by stone, if I must, but I will have your head.

[This message has been edited by Lord_Arion (edited 11-28-2011 @ 07:44 PM).]

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-28-11 19:46 EST (US)     164 / 194       
We are not going to hold a multiplayer contest for the simple fact that the playing styles are different from a singleplayer user to a multiplayer user. People who have played multiplayer before knows it, they are experts while people new to multiplayer will get easily killed.

Let's stay with this on singleplayer level.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//

[This message has been edited by Lord_of_Hell (edited 11-28-2011 @ 07:47 PM).]

Lord_Arion
Archer
posted 11-28-11 19:52 EST (US)     165 / 194       
Lets see then, scenario design tops the list, or we have one of the staff design one hell of a challenging map via Crusader, Stronghold 2, 3 whatever works and those with the top scores would win. I saw some maniacally difficult maps designed by this one guy a year back I think they may be on the original Stronghold Heaven for 1 and Crusader. That could be a possibility if single player is the goal.

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-28-11 19:58 EST (US)     166 / 194       
A singleplayer challenge could work, but it would have to be done purposely for the contest.
Like Sir_Vet said, who gathers most X, wins the contest.

On another hand we have a map design option. People make maps and the most voted one wins.

And since SH1/SHC are the most popular games, we could do it for them.

Thoughts on that matter?
Again, any opinions are welcome.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 11-28-11 23:56 EST (US)     167 / 194       
I would only be interested in a map design competition.

[This message has been edited by WL_D Arthus (edited 11-28-2011 @ 11:57 PM).]

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-29-11 08:29 EST (US)     168 / 194       
Maybe we can do both, the singleplayer challenge being a second contest.

I'll be newsing this thread soon.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Lord_OSirideain
Archer
posted 11-29-11 09:31 EST (US)     169 / 194       
if we are going to be running comps, we need to do both a design comp and a play comp to allow everyone the chance to enter. many people dont even touch the editor and others rarely play (except testing their maps) only design.

personally i would enter both types.. although i do prefer to play. this is because i dont have an artistic bone in my body, and end up with a mess!

tresspassers will be shot......
survivors will be shot again!
Wolfman4God
Archer
posted 11-29-11 09:51 EST (US)     170 / 194       
I really want a fantasy comp.

You can really stretch you designing capabilities. Plus fantsy in SHC may be more of a challenge than SH1(which I also have but am not as good with), but I am ready for it!

to quote WL_D Arthus,

"Best overall fantasy map, using any SH game you want.

2 months to make and submit your entry and the winner gets a SH game of their choice along with a custom title.

That's my idea of an ideal competition, if something similar gets the nod i'll be opening up SH1 again"

That sounds good to me too!

Repost if you agree.

Run like heck, and earn your puke!
Wolfman
peter2008
Knight
posted 11-29-11 13:09 EST (US)     171 / 194       
With several ideas and offers, we can arrange various types of competitions, the one soon "between the years" and others that run for a longer timeframe.
Why not have 2012 as a year of 3-4 competitions?

Hello Sir_Vet, glad to meet you again. Your offers are appreciated and I'll keep an eye on that they get answered.

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 11-29-11 17:17 EST (US)     172 / 194       
DeSteff was kind enough to post a thread in the FF forums about our contest.
http://www.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=250&func=view&catid=45&id=19342#19342

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Lord Ako
Archer
posted 11-29-11 17:33 EST (US)     173 / 194       
I'm not sure if I'll compete but if I would I'd like Arthus's proposal best, a fantasy scenario for the game of your choice.
Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 11-29-11 19:54 EST (US)     174 / 194       
Well look at that, start talking about competition and people start to show up:-) Throw in a little advertizing and FF even shows up. Thanks for coming by FF DeSteff.

Looks a bit like people still want a lengthy map building contest, that's great, but I'm guessing by the time that type of contest is done, it could be March, a month to setup 2 months running and another month to judge and announce the winners.

So I got thinking about this last night, and thought everyone has and is familiar with Crusader, so I made an eco scenario for Crusader last night called "Baker Man" it takes about 30 minutes, nice and quick, and has enough depth to allow for multiple ways of getting the most bread possible. This 200x200 map has been tested and tweaked to the point that it is ready for testing by a mod or two, any takers?

I know I'm getting ahead of things, but I like this site and would like to see it get some energy again and I truly believe this would be a good and simple way of doing that, along with a map building contest.

Just thinking out loud!

Sir_Vet

Hello Peter, good to see you here, you know how my challenge maps go, what are your thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Sir_Vet (edited 11-29-2011 @ 08:17 PM).]

WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 11-29-11 20:58 EST (US)     175 / 194       
I'm not sure if I'll compete but if I would I'd like Arthus's proposal best, a fantasy scenario for the game of your choice.
oh come on, how long do I have to wait to play Seven Saints? been 4 years since you announced it

[This message has been edited by WL_D Arthus (edited 11-29-2011 @ 08:59 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7 8  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames