You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.237 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader: Fantasy Scenario Competition
Bottom
Topic Subject:Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader: Fantasy Scenario Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10  Next Page »
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-04-07 07:48 EST (US)         
Ladies and Gentlemen. On behalf of the staff at Stronghold Heaven, I would like to cordially invite you to compete in;

The Stronghold and Crusader Fantasy Scenario Competition

As the title suggests, we are looking for a fantasy/ficticious scenario that can be set in either Stronghold 1 or Stronghold: Crusader. The scenario content is entirely up to you, and can be based on either a siege, invasion or economic map. There are only a few limitations, which are set out below, and the competition is designed to allow you all to let your imaginations run riot!

• No freebuild scenarios or skirmish maps; we want to see full use of the editor, including any events
  • You must produce a full story and/or instructions to accompany the scenario. In addition, you must produce a separate document to explain how and why you chose the scenario, what you are trying to achieve with the map and explain any specific events, landscapes and characters
  • You may submit one Stronghold 1 map and one Stronghold: Crusader map if you wish; two maps per designer

In the case of multiple designers with one account, you can either submit maps designed by both parties, or separated individually, but clearly labelled by the individual designer.

The idea of the competition is not just to allow you to exercise your imagination, but to explore the use of the editor and complete a 'packaged' map (i.e. map, write-up, separate document and screenshots/minimap).

A few other pointers;

• Eye candy is up to the designer, however you will not be punished if you do not have great swathes of tricks littering the map
  • All entries will be judged by Sulis with assistance from other members of staff. Our decision will be final.
  • You must complete a new scenario, not a map already submitted to the downloads section (although you may use a semi-completed scenario from your hard drive as long as it has not been made public knowledge to others)
  • Entries will be judged on unique scenario design, a strong story and/or instructions, excellent use of the editor and a genuine 'feel' of fantasy or fiction throughout your scenario

The closing date for entries is 13 July 2007.

There will be two winners, one for Stronghold and one for Crusader. The winners will have a dedicated page on the site under the competitions tab with minimaps, screenshots and an introduction to the scenario, including the judges' comments. The map winners will also be added as a news item. Runners up will have minimaps and judges comments. All maps will have a link taking forumers to the relevant download.

Please submit your competition entries to Sulis@heavengames.com. Do not upload your entry to the site until after judging has taken place and the winners announced.

To all of you who play Stronghold 2 and Stronghold: Legends, your turn will be next!

No doubt there will be many questions, so please ask away

We wish you all the very best of luck!

Sincerely,

The Stronghold Heaven staff

[This message has been edited by Sulis (edited 06-07-2007 @ 10:56 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-04-07 11:50 EST (US)     1 / 237       
Yeah a competiton. This a fantasy comp so any story no matter how wierd will do. That deadline just gives me a week or two after GCSEs so it'll suit me alright. I could work on the map when I have a bit of free time and do the hard work after GCSEs.

Thanks Sulis and Lady Arcola for getting ths organised so soon. Hopefully it'll inject a little excitement and competition into the heaven!!

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins

[This message has been edited by younghappy (edited 05-04-2007 @ 11:52 AM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-04-07 13:14 EST (US)     2 / 237       
wow just as i was about to announce our latest project too - looks like we'll have to keep it quiet for a couple months and use it for the competition - its a very long way from being finished so im really happy with the closing date.

In the case of multiple designers with one account, you can either submit maps designed by both parties, or separated individually, but clearly labelled by the individual designer.

Directed at us i presume? well i dont know any other teams... no chance of us going solo so expect just a SH1 map from us
Lets hope this comp is a little more popular this time around, it should be seeing as you havent placed many rules - and its a very fun topic

I have a question which sounds sorta odd but i want to know anyway: what makes a map a Fantasy Scenario?

what i mean by that is: in your eyes what seperates ot from a normal seige/invasion of a castle?

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
Lord Tanthos
Archer
posted 05-04-07 13:50 EST (US)     3 / 237       
Aww...we second generation players must wait our turn...

Oh well. That's gives me MUCH more time to make a map. I might just make my masterpiece idea for the Legends competition. I need to make it anyway, after all.

Known elsewhere as Planewalker.
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-04-07 14:01 EST (US)     4 / 237       
That deadline just gives me a week or two after GCSEs so it'll suit me alright

I know that there are important exams taking place, and these must take priority (I sound like a nagging old dad.. thankfully i'm not!), so please let me know if anyone is having genuine difficulty with the deadline. I'm happy to push it back by a week if need be.

Directed at us I presume?

Yes! I thought you'd want clarification

what makes a map a Fantasy Scenario?

Your story and/or instructions will probably play a big role here, and should support your map as fully as possible. There's nothing stopping you from using actual events from history as a basis for your map. Your story will need to include ficticious characters though. The editor is limited in what you can or can't do with your scenario, whereas your story is a product of your imagination and can go anywhere you please (I hope that kind of answers your question!)

As a side point, i'm also trying to grab hold of a couple of t-shirts for the winners. Please don't hold me to this though, i'm waiting for a response to my request!

Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-04-07 15:05 EST (US)     5 / 237       
Thanks for clarifing on the whole fantasy thing as well, so anything we want to make! Mine I'll be on SH1 btw.

*plays Stronghold for inspiration*

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
ericgolf
Earl
posted 05-04-07 16:07 EST (US)     6 / 237       
Sounds good
I am hoping my current map will be ready in time for it to be entered.

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Lugm Campaign Contribute a Review
Loegaire
OD Core Group
(id: Lord Ap Hywell)
posted 05-06-07 18:24 EST (US)     7 / 237       
I'll have to give this one a shot. I still play the games semi-regularly.

And I <3 Secrets of Sylvandell. Number five in particular was visually the most stunning thing I've seen in Stronghold.

On the individual level the response may appear to be a fiction, but fiction in a wider cultural context has a way of appearing to be true.
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-08-07 02:28 EST (US)     8 / 237       
A little extra added incentive to win, my Lords and Ladies; i've managed to secure a HG t-shirt for the winners, one for SH and one for SH:C!
Dragons Rider
Archer
posted 05-08-07 02:58 EST (US)     9 / 237       
Great! Is it a certain size? Because if it is I probably wont fit in to it.

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
Robert Orben
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-08-07 04:01 EST (US)     10 / 237       
Great! Is it a certain size?

Yeah, the size you pick! what did you think they'd be shipping off an overly tight or lose T-shirt? wouldnt be much point in that now whould there

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-08-07 04:48 EST (US)     11 / 237       
As WL_D said
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-11-07 03:28 EST (US)     12 / 237       
Just thought i'd light up that red dot to catch peoples attention. I'd like to see more people participating or at least post saying you will try to...

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-11-07 03:30 EST (US)     13 / 237       
Good idea, WL_D. If you intend to compete, please say so and i'll add a list to the top post
Dragons Rider
Archer
posted 05-11-07 04:00 EST (US)     14 / 237       
I'm competing Best of luck to all competitors. Will there be a 2nd and 3rd place or just 1st?

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
Robert Orben
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-11-07 07:52 EST (US)     15 / 237       
The map winners will also be added as a news item. Runners up will have minimaps and judges comments. All maps will have a link taking forumers to the relevant download.
Its hard for an older site to get help from the higher ups so from what i gather the T-shirt goes to the winner, i think it would be basically impossible to squeeze a prize outta the halos (or whoever) for 2nd and 3rd position.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-11-07 11:57 EST (US)     16 / 237       
I can see what I can do regarding t-shirts for 2nd and 3rd places. I have been told that there are quite a few in stock! That means potentially six in all.

Think I need a shopping basket!
Ultima_Shadow_K9
Archer
posted 05-13-07 22:03 EST (US)     17 / 237       
Yo, when does it end?

~Living in Heaven Scince 2006~
No longer a stupid Freshmen - Now a foolish Sophmore
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 05-13-07 22:54 EST (US)     18 / 237       
The closing date for entries is 29 June 2007.

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//
Alias Alive
Banned
posted 05-18-07 10:01 EST (US)     19 / 237       
I'm going to give this a shot. Dig out the old copy of S:C and see what I can do. Might even get some swag, who knows? Looks like an excellent contest you have here.
Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-18-07 10:07 EST (US)     20 / 237       
Has anyone started yet. I was experimenting with some different techniques and yet to be tried terrain ideas.

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-18-07 11:15 EST (US)     21 / 237       
Hi guys,

we've got our basic terrain done and Alexus is well into building the fortress.

While he does that I'm working on 'our new map'.

Arthus.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Loegaire
OD Core Group
(id: Lord Ap Hywell)
posted 05-18-07 11:46 EST (US)     22 / 237       
I've got it maybe 6/10 done. I don't count writing the story because I love that and it's something I can do quickly without a huge amount of time. Best map I've done yet.

On the individual level the response may appear to be a fiction, but fiction in a wider cultural context has a way of appearing to be true.
Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-18-07 12:16 EST (US)     23 / 237       
Cool can't wait for the 29th to see your maps. I still don't totally know what I'm doing, I may base some of my landscape on the "Flow country" in the Highlands of Scotland.

[This message has been edited by younghappy (edited 05-18-2007 @ 12:58 PM).]

Lord Tanthos
Archer
posted 05-18-07 14:22 EST (US)     24 / 237       
Sounds like a lot of cool maps. I'll be eager to check them all out when they're finished. I for one am going to wait until the SH2/Legends competition, if there is one. I don't expect to win, but I will be quite happy to put a map in, since I did plan to make a good sized map this summer anyway.

Known elsewhere as Planewalker.
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 05-18-07 18:36 EST (US)     25 / 237       
I have a crusader map in the works. I don't know if I will be able to crank out a SH1 map in time.

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames