You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.44 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Stronghold 2 and Legends: The Quest for Gold
Bottom
Topic Subject:Stronghold 2 and Legends: The Quest for Gold
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 04-07-08 03:12 EST (US)         

The Quest for Gold

The Stronghold Heaven staff are pleased to announce a new competition by Sir_Vet for Stronghold 2 and ‘Legends fans. The Quest for Gold maps are economic scenarios and you have a simple enough task... to collect as much gold as possible in the allotted time. But just how easy do you think this is really going to be?!

Sir_Vet has worked very hard to pull this competition together and has produced two excellent maps to test your abilities, as well as detailing the competition criteria and guidance notes. Lord Tanthos has ably assisted in the final stages and, as a result, the aforenamed gentlemen and designers will be your judges.

Two maps are available, one for Stronghold 2 and one for Stronghold Legends. Your start date will be January 1000, and you must save your game in January 1010 for the Stronghold 2 map, and January 1015 for the Legends map. Please note that saved games for those times will be the only accepted saves and for Stronghold 2 you will get a warning in December 1009. For the Legends December warning, you must install the included XML file prepared by Lord Tanthos.

The contest maps are available now from our servers and the closing date for submission of your saved games is Friday 2 May; you have three weeks to submit an entry and only one entry per person will be accepted. You can submit one Stronghold 2 map and one Legends map per person.

Download the Legends Map
Download the Stronghold 2 Map

Once you think you have a winning entry, submit your saved maps to:

Sir_Vet ( sirvetka@gmail.com ) for Stronghold 2 entries;
Lord Tanthos ( james@duelofages.com ) for Legends entries.

The amount of gold showing at the top of the screen will be the number we use; in case of a tie, Honour will be enough to break it. Both maps have enough options for making gold, as well as a few small problems to trip you up. The maps are small and therefore room to build is limited, so sharpen your pencils lets see some creative ideas!

Sulis

[This message has been edited by Sulis (edited 04-08-2008 @ 11:42 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
SirWhiteWolf
Archer
posted 04-07-08 14:17 EST (US)     1 / 44       
When are we supposed to turn in our save files?

O, Thou hast damnable iteration: and art, indeed, able to corrupt a saint. ~William Shakespear, Henry IV, part:I, act i, scene ii

[This message has been edited by SirWhiteWolf (edited 04-07-2008 @ 02:18 PM).]

Lord Tanthos
Archer
posted 04-07-08 17:44 EST (US)     2 / 44       
Any time between April 11 and the final date of May 2. If you finish earlier, any player should consider trying for an even higher score before submitting it.

Known elsewhere as Planewalker.
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 04-07-08 22:06 EST (US)     3 / 44       
Sounds like a great contest. I would like this one next for stronghold and crusader over a historical map.

BTW, the staff doesnt have to necessarilly manage all competitions. Experienced mapmakers could just host one periodically and the staff just has to put up the news for them. That would ensure more competitions but maybe not.

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
Psycho Jester
Archer
posted 04-07-08 22:53 EST (US)     4 / 44       
So I already downloaded the map by that name just last night, is the new one different?

If nothing different I will just not play until Friday.

Here is what my random thought processes produced
FireFly T-Shirt Compitition winning concept

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 04-08-08 11:37 EST (US)     5 / 44       
Nope, it's the same map but they were approved early in my absence (in error). It doesn't matter though, the maps are available now for anyone who wishes to compete
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 04-08-08 13:42 EST (US)     6 / 44       
XD. I can't recall many things right now, but I apologize about the early release, since it was probably my doing.

This competition will be probably something I'll attempt later this month.

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\¦| Seraph |¦//--/_____/
\\//\\//
°ºº°
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 04-09-08 06:29 EST (US)     7 / 44       
It's not your fault, Sir Hugh. I didn't tell you to leave them unapproved, and I had to leave my office before I had a chance
Psycho Jester
Archer
posted 04-09-08 08:40 EST (US)     8 / 44       
so legends game ends July 1015, you want a save game of june 1015 sent, correct? Or Jan 1015?

dont want to be disqualified to a technacallity

[This message has been edited by Psycho Jester (edited 04-09-2008 @ 08:41 AM).]

Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 04-09-08 14:58 EST (US)     9 / 44       
Both maps have a 6 month delay it was included to help the judging, only January 1010 and 1015 saves will be accepted.

You have until May 2 to send in your entries that gives you all lots of time to figure out how to get the most gold possible before you send your entry in.

I wish you all good luck and enjoy.

Sir_Vet
SirWhiteWolf
Archer
posted 04-11-08 14:51 EST (US)     10 / 44       
For some reason I cannot play the map for SH2. I extract it to the SH2 maps folder but it wont appear in game. I guess I'll just do the SHL one.

O, Thou hast damnable iteration: and art, indeed, able to corrupt a saint. ~William Shakespear, Henry IV, part:I, act i, scene ii
Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 04-12-08 13:24 EST (US)     11 / 44       
Hi SirWhiteWolf, When I saw your post I downloaded the map and installed it, the map came up and played properly, you might want to check your settings.
SirWhiteWolf
Archer
posted 04-30-08 03:32 EST (US)     12 / 44       
Just wondering, when does this contest end?

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 04-30-08 06:25 EST (US)     13 / 44       
Friday May 2nd (see paragraph 4 of the original post). Are you intending to enter?
SirWhiteWolf
Archer
posted 04-30-08 12:47 EST (US)     14 / 44       
Actually Sulis I already have. (Sir Vet, I'll send you my old save again. It was the best so far that I could do.)

Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 04-30-08 13:34 EST (US)     15 / 44       
OK players the contest is closing on Friday May 02 at 12 PM.(edit, oops sorry I meant 12 midnight, silly me )

No one knows how much gold it will take to be the winner, so no matter what your scores send the saved games in.

Thank you all for entering, Good Luck!

Sir_Vet

[This message has been edited by Sir_Vet (edited 05-02-2008 @ 02:55 PM).]

Lopat
Archer
posted 05-02-08 09:08 EST (US)     16 / 44       
I emailed my entry let's see who wins
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 05-02-08 11:54 EST (US)     17 / 44       
I went ahead and submitted a save game for SH2. Too bad the bull's estate doesn't convert over to yours.

\\//\\//
°ºº°
Plutonix
Archer
posted 05-02-08 12:12 EST (US)     18 / 44       
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the time and effort to put this together, judge and administer it!

Ohhhh! A command!

[This message has been edited by Plutonix (edited 05-02-2008 @ 12:31 PM).]

Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 05-02-08 14:51 EST (US)     19 / 44       
Just an update, Sir_Vet has emailed me that the competition save-games are due at midnight. There is still time!

\\//\\//
°ºº°
Plutonix
Archer
posted 05-03-08 11:13 EST (US)     20 / 44       
Now that it is over and cant matter, anyone want to divulge their score and/or strategy? Or would that mess something up?

Ohhhh! A command!
Lord Tanthos
Archer
posted 05-03-08 11:36 EST (US)     21 / 44       
No, not at all. Feel free to share!

Known elsewhere as Planewalker.
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 05-03-08 13:03 EST (US)     22 / 44       
I played the SH2 map. At the beginning I placed hunter posts and some wood cutters. I then attacked the Bull with my troops and Lord. I eliminated some of his troops, killed him, killed all his remaining troops, and then took the estates. I then continued placing huts, hunter posts, apple farms, and carter posts. I had the carters deliver food to my keep and sold it until it was time to save the game.

I didn't place a tax collector. I didn't think there would be enough room and space for ale production and delivery for productive tax gains. However, someone might have managed it.

\\//\\//
°ºº°
Plutonix
Archer
posted 05-03-08 14:51 EST (US)     23 / 44       
I did pretty much the opposite of Sir Hugh.

Deleted the Inn replaced it with an apple farm, sold the Ale, built the close in Iron Mine and scads of Hunters Huts. Built a Treasury next to the keep and sold the rest of the stone. The stockpile was empty, so I spun it so deliveries come in the front instead of going all way around to the back. This also allows room for 2 more huts behind it.

Leapfrogged troops to take each estate - usually 2 attacks were in progress at once plus setting up production in the ones you take. I left the Bull be, but killed all the troops on the periphery. Set up St Columb for apples and wood cutters to open the mines; the one just north of the castle setup for cheese; the one with pitch set up for apples. Scarcliffe was set up for iron of course and meat - there were lots of hidey-holes to allow it to produce LOTS of meat. I didnt see any benefit in taking the Bull. The estate wouldnt produce anything for you and as long as the 3 pockets of troops were removed, he doesnt hurt anything. Even getting all the estates at once didnt seem to get production going any faster given the wood supply.

Meanwhile, as wood was available, filled the castle with lots of hunters and a few woodcutters to open the road some. With the Bull in the way, I setup a shuttle service. Iron from Scarcliffe went to "pitchville" (I think it was Much Hemlock) and from there to the castle. Meat from Scarcliffe went to Parnley (the one to the north of the castle) and from there to the castle. This way, each estate only had to shuttle 2 or 3 things making logistics less complicated.

When food is flowing in, delete the apple farm to make way for more huts and cram hunters into every nook in the road. About 1207, production is overwhelming carter capacity, so start converting farms to carters to literally empty the estates. Castle population is about 104 and no more jobs available. I lost very few troops, so disband them for 121/104 and set taxes REAL high to convert popularity to cash. Housing could get as high as 120 but the hunters posts have to be placed just right to get to 96 jobs.

Ohhhh! A command!
DioGirl
Archer
posted 05-03-08 19:45 EST (US)     24 / 44       
Ooooo RATS I missed out the fun! :-( I'll join the next contest..
Psycho Jester
Archer
posted 05-04-08 00:52 EST (US)     25 / 44       
Hmmmmm
my secrets?
I turned in A SHL entry, this is the basics of how I ran this map. Blah blah blahblah, and then I blahed over and BLAHED

Ummmmmm OK, Lets say looking towards the keep is NORTH
List as done in order

I grabbed all troops and sent them towards the stockpile
3 wood, South of Armoury (2on path, 1 in clearing)
4 houses placed farthest North center of map
deleted rose garden and Inn
put 3 cheese 1 meat in thier place
spent 350 of gold on wood
3 tanners between stockpile and granary

Killed enemy King ASAP, Disbanded all troops that where left
turn Estate to produce meat.

While I was killing King I placed

3 cheese in path East of Stockpile
As many Tanners as I possibly could as close to the armoury as possible.

placed all iron mines possible (there where a few that if you cleared trees either on the iron or by the iron you could place a few more mines)

11 more houses as far away from everything as possible.

place tanners until I ran out of peasants,

then deleted wood and replaced with Tanners

Once my granary hit about 180, I moved to double rations and never run out of food

At that time you could move taxes to extortionate taxes and they balance each other out. +8,-8 happy

By the year 1011 All peasants employed (NONE STANDING AROUND FIRE)

I used Tanners because they are cheap and do not use resources.

Used market set everything to sell at 1

In the last year of play I turned the taxes to max.

Thats most of the secrets

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames