You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.44 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Stronghold 2 and Legends: The Quest for Gold
Bottom
Topic Subject:Stronghold 2 and Legends: The Quest for Gold
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 04-07-08 03:12 EST (US)         

The Quest for Gold

The Stronghold Heaven staff are pleased to announce a new competition by Sir_Vet for Stronghold 2 and ‘Legends fans. The Quest for Gold maps are economic scenarios and you have a simple enough task... to collect as much gold as possible in the allotted time. But just how easy do you think this is really going to be?!

Sir_Vet has worked very hard to pull this competition together and has produced two excellent maps to test your abilities, as well as detailing the competition criteria and guidance notes. Lord Tanthos has ably assisted in the final stages and, as a result, the aforenamed gentlemen and designers will be your judges.

Two maps are available, one for Stronghold 2 and one for Stronghold Legends. Your start date will be January 1000, and you must save your game in January 1010 for the Stronghold 2 map, and January 1015 for the Legends map. Please note that saved games for those times will be the only accepted saves and for Stronghold 2 you will get a warning in December 1009. For the Legends December warning, you must install the included XML file prepared by Lord Tanthos.

The contest maps are available now from our servers and the closing date for submission of your saved games is Friday 2 May; you have three weeks to submit an entry and only one entry per person will be accepted. You can submit one Stronghold 2 map and one Legends map per person.

Download the Legends Map
Download the Stronghold 2 Map

Once you think you have a winning entry, submit your saved maps to:

Sir_Vet ( sirvetka@gmail.com ) for Stronghold 2 entries;
Lord Tanthos ( james@duelofages.com ) for Legends entries.

The amount of gold showing at the top of the screen will be the number we use; in case of a tie, Honour will be enough to break it. Both maps have enough options for making gold, as well as a few small problems to trip you up. The maps are small and therefore room to build is limited, so sharpen your pencils lets see some creative ideas!

Sulis

[This message has been edited by Sulis (edited 04-08-2008 @ 11:42 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 05-04-08 14:05 EST (US)     26 / 44       
Congratulations to all the players who submitted entries for the SH2 and SHL Quest for Gold contest.
Thank you all for entering. I will send in the results to Sulis so he can announce the winners.

I play tested the maps a lot to make sure they worked properly, when the contest started I thought I should put in an extra effort to get a good score, so I gave a few strategies a try, my best score is in the middle, other than the usual iron and pitch bread was the best for me as well as putting in hunter posts and woodcutters close to my keep, my friend and I sat here one day and we came up with making lots of wheat and flour, sent it to the stockroom for sale, we got a pretty good score at the end only to look at each other with totally stupid grins on our faces when we both realized you can't even sell wheat or flour.:-) talk about feeling stupid.

I tried to make both maps challenging, they both have 10 iron, enough buildings to give a variety of strategies, and a bit of fighting to make it interesting, the SH2 map has the Bull with some archers to cause some trouble, and to make you figure out how to get the iron safely to your stockroom, I thought one of the challenges would be in balancing out the space and carter posts, the SHL map has Hildabrand in the middle and you need to kill him and use the village even though you can't place your own buildings, that is why there are no villages in the SHL map, so I added some weapons to the mix.

When I first made the SH2 map I thought I would try and make a matching Legends map, but villages don't work the same, so I made a second SH2 map that very closely matches the Legends map, no villages except when you kill the Bull, the stockroom,grainery,and armory are in the entrance to your keep and you can build weapons and there is no snow.
I mentioned this map because I am thinking of posting it.

I hope you all enjoyed my contest and playing my maps, I could be talked into doing it again but next time with input from you players as to what you would like to see.

Thank you!

Sir_Vet

ps: extra congrats to Sir Hugh I thought I made it so you would not be able to kill the Bull.
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 05-04-08 22:00 EST (US)     27 / 44       
Lol. I think I am a better military strategist than an economist.

Thank you, Sir Vet and Lord Tanthos, for hosting the competition and developing the maps.

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\¦| Seraph |¦//--/_____/
\\//\\//
°ºº°

[This message has been edited by Sir Hugh (edited 05-04-2008 @ 10:01 PM).]

Lord Tanthos
Archer
posted 05-04-08 22:42 EST (US)     28 / 44       
Of course! Although the credit truly goes to Sir_Vet. He designed the maps and began the entire operation. All I really did was give him the OK and support.

"Night-time sharpens...heightens each sensation...darkness wakes...and stirs imagination..."
Psycho Jester
Archer
posted 05-05-08 01:16 EST (US)     29 / 44       
Hats off to Sir_Vet

The Lengends map was an excellant layout, Very fun and liked the concept very much.

Great Job

PJ

Here is what my random thought processes produced
FireFly T-Shirt Compitition winning concept

Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 05-06-08 14:39 EST (US)     30 / 44       
Thank's alot guys!

I sent the results to Sulis, so we will have to wait.
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-07-08 12:35 EST (US)     31 / 44       
Received, Sir_Vet. I've pinged a quick email to you; upon your reply i'll announce the winners

[This message has been edited by Sulis (edited 05-07-2008 @ 12:36 PM).]

subindxsubin
Archer
posted 05-07-08 12:50 EST (US)     32 / 44       
Cant wait for the results..... and the next competition.

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-08-08 03:41 EST (US)     33 / 44       
The winners of the Quest for Gold competition are;

Stronghold 2:

Plutonix

The winning score was 53,081! Honour achieved was 576

Other Stronghold 2 entries received:

Lopat

Redophallic

SirWhiteWolf

Sir Hugh

Stronghold: Legends:

Psycho Jester

The winning score was 62,433! Honour achieve was 1,258

Well done to both of you, and i'm delighted that you enjoyed the competition so much, Psycho Jester

I too would like to sincerely thank Sir_Vet and Lord Tanthos for their efforts in the organisation and judging of this competition
Plutonix
Archer
posted 05-08-08 09:15 EST (US)     34 / 44       
Wow! I am honored to be in such company.

I have to say it seems to have been somewhat a 'perfect storm' of events to get that score. Everything had to fall just right from having the wood on hand when you needed it, to picking the right time to start final shipments from each estate in time, down to where the bears happened to be as troops move about the map. The really, really big variable seemed to be how soon the 3rd wooded iron mine was cleared based on where you place woodcutters.

Sincere and hearty thanks to all involved in organizing, administering and putting the contest together, especially Sir Vet who makes very interesting, appealing and challenging maps. It was a lot of fun and a different kind of challenge: at one level you are competing against yourself to learn from each attempt to get a better score.

Ohhhh! A command!
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 05-08-08 10:36 EST (US)     35 / 44       
My score was dwarfed by Plutonix and Psycho Jester. Well done everyone.

\\//\\//
°ºº°
Psycho Jester
Archer
posted 05-08-08 19:17 EST (US)     36 / 44       
That high score was about my 4th try, I tryed after that but was never able to hit that score again. So yes I agree conditions and timing determine outcome.

Lord Tanthos
Archer
posted 05-08-08 19:52 EST (US)     37 / 44       
Congratulations to the winners!

And a definite congratulations to Psycho Jester, who pushed so hard to beat all the opposition, when in fact there was none!

"Night-time sharpens...heightens each sensation...darkness wakes...and stirs imagination..."
Psycho Jester
Archer
posted 05-09-08 08:59 EST (US)     38 / 44       
Good then everyone was scared

Actually I can tell my secrets then.

Pause and speed control

Run game at speed 10 and pause when thinking or buying stuff

Lopat
Archer
posted 05-09-08 09:01 EST (US)     39 / 44       
wow 53K on the SH2 map...
I only had 41K
I did play it twice... but I guess I emptied the estates to late.... Even though I did convert as much farms into carters..

What are the other scores??
Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 05-09-08 14:10 EST (US)     40 / 44       
Well that was a fun little contest, you all came up with different strategies which made it interesting for me, and the other scores were in the 20k range, my best was 35k.

I mentioned that I could do this again, Sulis said he would be happy to see another contest by me or anybody else, and it could run at the same time as the new Stronghold and Crusader contest.

If you show interest here I will start a new thread next week to discuss what you would like to see, I have come up with a few questions and ideas, so lets see what you have to say.
Plutonix
Archer
posted 05-09-08 15:30 EST (US)     41 / 44       
Psycho Jester, I too spent a LOT of time on pause and/or on very low speed to exert maximum clock management. I could get 47-49k pretty easily that way and since the contest end, I also got a 53859. I am not sure too much more than that is possible.

Would anyone like me to post a walk thru?

Ohhhh! A command!
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 05-09-08 21:42 EST (US)     42 / 44       
I barely made over 18K.
I probably spent too much time taking out the Bull.

\\//\\//
°ºº°
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-13-08 08:05 EST (US)     43 / 44       
I barely made over 18K
You think you were bad? I had a go at both for fun one weekend, and I struggled to get over 5,000...

Go on, laugh away...
Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 05-15-08 17:43 EST (US)     44 / 44       
Hey Sulis nothing to laugh at, when I first started playing Sh2 I probably couldn't have done any better, it just shows how complex the game really is, it takes a long time to learn, that's one thing I do enjoy about it, learning.

Even though I still play Crusader, I do like SH2 better.

Happy gaming.

ps: anybody interested in a new SH2 contest.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames