You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.84 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » The 3rd Stronghold & Crusader Historical Castle Competition
Bottom
Topic Subject:The 3rd Stronghold & Crusader Historical Castle Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-07-08 13:18 EST (US)         
Calling all Master Masons, Craftsmen, Cartographers and Architects! On behalf of the staff at Stronghold Heaven, I would like to cordially invite you to compete in;

The 3rd Stronghold & Crusader Historical Castle Competition

The 2nd Historical Castle Competition back in 2005 gave you a choice of castles to design. This competition will not restrict you in this way and is specifically designed, to borrow the words of one of our members, to 'test your creativity'. You are free to pick and choose whatever castle you wish!

As with the Fantasy Scenario competition, there are a few guidelines to follow;

-The competition is applicable to players of both the original Stronghold and Crusader. You may submit one Stronghold scenario and one Crusader scenario
-Your entry should be as close in design to your chosen castle as possible, but can only be an invasion or economic map. We want to see a good use of the events within the editor
-You may base any scenario details on historical events if you wish, but we're open to any creative 'What if?' scenarios as well
-I will expect the same attention to detail paid to the landscape modelling as you do with the design of the castle; in other words, you really are being asked to design a complete scenario!
-All scenarios must be new; you cannot use a map that has been publicly announced in the forums as the basis for your entry. You will be automatically disqualified if you use a pre-announced map or if you are found guilty of plagiarism
-You may use a part-completed scenario from your hard drive if you wish, as long as it doesn't contravene the point above

The closing date for all entries will be 29 August 2008, which should give you sufficient time to work at producing your masterpieces!

Question: how will the entries be judged?

Categories (all out of 10);

-Playability (is the scenario fun? Does everything work as it should? If historically-based events are replicated, are they represented well in the editor?)
-Balance (is the map too easy or too hard? Are the win goals or conditions achievable?)
-Creativity (how creative has the designer been overall with the scenario?
-Map Design (overall use of the editor, including events and/or scripting)
-Historical (a bespoke score that attempts to categorise the accuracy of the castle design and its' setting (the surrounding landscape)

You must present to us sufficient evidence to support your castle design. You should try to include (at the very least) a floor plan or a suitable selection of images, photos and/or sketches to reflect the castle layout and design. You do not need to produce a historical write-up and you will not be given additional marks if you decide to provide this.

At present, I will judge all entries and will try to obtain the services of one other to provide a more accurate and fair score.

There will be two winners, one for Stronghold and one for Crusader. The winners will once again have a dedicated page on the site under the competitions tab with a minimap, a screenshot and an introduction to the scenario by the judges. Runners up will have minimaps and judges comments. All maps will have a link allowing forumers to download the completed map (should you choose to share your hard work with us!)

I will attempt to obtain some t-shirts for the winners (which I know are in stock, I might add!)

Please submit your competition entries in the first instance to sulis@heavengames.com. Do not upload your entry to the site until after judging has taken place and the winners announced.

If you have any further questions, please ask away

We wish you all the very best of luck!

Sincerely,

The Stronghold Heaven staff

[This message has been edited by Sulis (edited 05-09-2008 @ 07:43 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
AZ ViTrAzhAs
Archer
posted 05-28-08 09:35 EST (US)     26 / 84       
Count me in, Sulis, I've already decided what castle I'm going to choose, I even have a dozen of photos taken from my last year's vacation of the fortification, I hope this will help designing as the castle isn't that famous

Nothing is as easy as it looks. │
Everything takes longer than you think. │
Smile... tomorrow will be worse.
│>>>Murphy's laws
"Now the neighborhood is cracked and torn..." - The Offspring
Stronghold Crusader projects: 300 Spartans, A Sweet Dream, Fathers' Sins, Chapter 1,
Chapter 2, Chapter 3
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-29-08 09:07 EST (US)     27 / 84       
Good to hear people are not choosing castles that havent been done countless times, cant wait to see what you guys create - competition maps are always very special its just a shame i'll have to wait a couple months before i see em!

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
von Schmidt
Archer
posted 06-19-08 20:33 EST (US)     28 / 84       
I think I might join... I'm not really very good at making historic castles (can't just design it however I want) but I might as well have a go.

A question: does your castle need to be in the medieval era? Is it okay if you make a castle that was around during ancient times?

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES GUILLOTINE

YAH
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 06-19-08 21:49 EST (US)     29 / 84       
Do you mean like Masada, or a hill-fort, or a Roman camp or citadel? I don't think many of those ancient fortifications that were not used in the Middle Ages have the best material to aid a designer in its creation. While I can't speak for Sulis, the head-judge of this competition, I think it is preferable that you find something Medieval for the fortresses are usually better preserved and documented.

What did you have in mind?

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//
von Schmidt
Archer
posted 06-20-08 07:44 EST (US)     30 / 84       
I was thinking of Masada. I was hoping to get a way to have the player defending it, and have roman legions come and attack. The only problem would be I can't get the AI to build the ramp

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES GUILLOTINE

YAH
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 06-20-08 22:57 EST (US)     31 / 84       
I don't know if Masada would be accepted as an entry for this competition. Again, I think you should try to find a medieval castle. I wouldn't mind playing a new Masada map. Hopefully, we'll hear from Sulis, soon about this.

\\//\\//
artofmath
Archer
posted 06-20-08 23:10 EST (US)     32 / 84       
Hmm... I'm going to drop out of this competition. I've already got a (bigger) project going on, and since it's right between Grade 11 and 12 for me, I have lots of things to do to prepre for university. I do have a working map of Chepstow Castle (my competition castle), the map is basically done, but the scripting is not.

..."religion is the opium of the masses"... - Karl Marx.
AZ ViTrAzhAs
Archer
posted 06-21-08 01:56 EST (US)     33 / 84       
Wow just like me, between 11 and 12 Grade Anyway, I'm not sure myself whether I'm going to participate, time sure flies fast

Nothing is as easy as it looks. │
Everything takes longer than you think. │
Smile... tomorrow will be worse.
│>>>Murphy's laws
"Now the neighborhood is cracked and torn..." - The Offspring
Stronghold Crusader projects: 300 Spartans, A Sweet Dream, Fathers' Sins, Chapter 1,
Chapter 2, Chapter 3
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 06-21-08 09:28 EST (US)     34 / 84       
You are so close, artofmath! I hope you find time to do scripting in the next two months of time period before the due date and time to tweak it.

\\//\\//
artofmath
Archer
posted 06-21-08 11:20 EST (US)     35 / 84       
Heh. I'll get cracking. The map itself isn't that great (I'll have to add some stuff...), so I guess the script will have to be good! :P

My current map is a PYOK map, where you hold off invaders and lay siege to the castle. Invisible signposts have done me a world of good here... Or you'll be totally wrecked by the exclusion zone!

Fintrollx
Archer
posted 06-21-08 14:53 EST (US)     36 / 84       
I have few questions:

Can newer designers like me take part of this competition?

The Map can be any castle in the world wich has not been submitted at Stronghold heaven before?

And do i need to officially sign me in to this if i can, or can i just make the map and sent is to Sulis@heavengames.com when it's ready?

i dont have any ides yet but if i find a castle to make, i might be in on this
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 06-21-08 15:17 EST (US)     37 / 84       
Well looks like we cant enter anymore but i'll answer your questions...
Can newer designers like me take part of this competition?
yes of course!
The Map can be any castle in the world wich has not been submitted at Stronghold heaven before?
Any castle you like provided it is medieval, so long as you create the map from scratch it doesnt matter if someone has created it before you.
And do i need to officially sign me in to this if i can, or can i just make the map and sent is to Sulis@heavengames.com when it's ready?
no sign-up needed send it when you're done it would be nice if you visited back here to let the community know you have entered though.
It would be great if you entered we need more people, especially when there are prizes involved
Fintrollx
Archer
posted 06-21-08 15:46 EST (US)     38 / 84       
What do you mean with can't enter anymore ? :O

Now is Juny 21
and the closing for all entries is informed as 29 August
if im right?
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 06-21-08 15:58 EST (US)     39 / 84       
What do you mean with can't enter anymore ?
Now that im a cherub i cannot enter.

The comp is open to all members doesnt matter when you start so long as you finish before the 29th of August
artofmath
Archer
posted 06-21-08 16:56 EST (US)     40 / 84       
Whew. Now I know that WLD won't win.

(Take that as a compliment, it implies that I think you'll win.)

[This message has been edited by artofmath (edited 06-21-2008 @ 04:57 PM).]

Fintrollx
Archer
posted 06-21-08 19:06 EST (US)     41 / 84       
ahh now i get, so WarLord_Designs can't compete in this competition becouse they are now moderators
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 06-23-08 07:51 EST (US)     42 / 84       
In answer to the earlier question, i'd recommend a medieval castle for this competition, simply because it is just that... an historical castle comp! I know it sounds daft, but there's always the prospect of having another comp at some point in the future that encompasses ALL structures, ages, civilizations, etc.

Oh, and to our two new cherubs: you are free to enter the comp if you still want to
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 06-23-08 07:57 EST (US)     43 / 84       
yeah, i think we do thanks.
Roshko
Archer
posted 06-23-08 14:23 EST (US)     44 / 84       
Excuse me, Sulis. I have also decided to take part in the historical challenge and have found a suitable castle to build, but there is one small problem. Unfortunately I could find just one site with the floorplan and they don't have a copy/past option. Meaning I cannot attach my file or evidence to prove the reality of the castle. what should I do, should I mail you the site so you can see for yourself, only the plan there is really small and it'll prove some difficulties.

What should I do so that things won't turn out wrong in the end.

Thanks

You don't get anywhere just by whishing....FAKe
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 06-23-08 22:51 EST (US)     45 / 84       
Have you tried finding if the castle is on Burgenwelt? They usually have great ground plans of the castles that they do have.

\\//\\//
Roshko
Archer
posted 06-24-08 07:36 EST (US)     46 / 84       
I just tried it mate. Unfortunately the country,where the castle is situated, is not even marked in red.

I'm really excited about this castle but if there is any problem I'll find a second one. Np

WL_D Alexus
Archer
posted 06-24-08 07:46 EST (US)     47 / 84       
Can you take a print screen while on the page?
Roshko
Archer
posted 06-24-08 08:09 EST (US)     48 / 84       
Well yes I have done just that but as I said the picture in the site was really small and the print screen was really small and I brought this up in case there were any problems with the judges.

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 06-24-08 11:52 EST (US)     49 / 84       
If you are really struggling, you could provide a link to the website for the judges to view ourselves. Just copy/paste it into whatever format you wish and include it in the zip file.

Does the castle appear in any books? Has any research been done into the castle? A google search of the castle with archaeology may yield some results.

I cannot say anymore than that as the research side is really up to you. Either way, i'm pleased we have another entrant to the competition
Roshko
Archer
posted 06-24-08 12:14 EST (US)     50 / 84       
Thanks well I'll have to give you the site then, which contains vast amounts of information (hope all is leagall) and mabye cut some boring parts off

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames