You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.84 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » The 3rd Stronghold & Crusader Historical Castle Competition
Bottom
Topic Subject:The 3rd Stronghold & Crusader Historical Castle Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-07-08 13:18 EST (US)         
Calling all Master Masons, Craftsmen, Cartographers and Architects! On behalf of the staff at Stronghold Heaven, I would like to cordially invite you to compete in;

The 3rd Stronghold & Crusader Historical Castle Competition

The 2nd Historical Castle Competition back in 2005 gave you a choice of castles to design. This competition will not restrict you in this way and is specifically designed, to borrow the words of one of our members, to 'test your creativity'. You are free to pick and choose whatever castle you wish!

As with the Fantasy Scenario competition, there are a few guidelines to follow;

-The competition is applicable to players of both the original Stronghold and Crusader. You may submit one Stronghold scenario and one Crusader scenario
-Your entry should be as close in design to your chosen castle as possible, but can only be an invasion or economic map. We want to see a good use of the events within the editor
-You may base any scenario details on historical events if you wish, but we're open to any creative 'What if?' scenarios as well
-I will expect the same attention to detail paid to the landscape modelling as you do with the design of the castle; in other words, you really are being asked to design a complete scenario!
-All scenarios must be new; you cannot use a map that has been publicly announced in the forums as the basis for your entry. You will be automatically disqualified if you use a pre-announced map or if you are found guilty of plagiarism
-You may use a part-completed scenario from your hard drive if you wish, as long as it doesn't contravene the point above

The closing date for all entries will be 29 August 2008, which should give you sufficient time to work at producing your masterpieces!

Question: how will the entries be judged?

Categories (all out of 10);

-Playability (is the scenario fun? Does everything work as it should? If historically-based events are replicated, are they represented well in the editor?)
-Balance (is the map too easy or too hard? Are the win goals or conditions achievable?)
-Creativity (how creative has the designer been overall with the scenario?
-Map Design (overall use of the editor, including events and/or scripting)
-Historical (a bespoke score that attempts to categorise the accuracy of the castle design and its' setting (the surrounding landscape)

You must present to us sufficient evidence to support your castle design. You should try to include (at the very least) a floor plan or a suitable selection of images, photos and/or sketches to reflect the castle layout and design. You do not need to produce a historical write-up and you will not be given additional marks if you decide to provide this.

At present, I will judge all entries and will try to obtain the services of one other to provide a more accurate and fair score.

There will be two winners, one for Stronghold and one for Crusader. The winners will once again have a dedicated page on the site under the competitions tab with a minimap, a screenshot and an introduction to the scenario by the judges. Runners up will have minimaps and judges comments. All maps will have a link allowing forumers to download the completed map (should you choose to share your hard work with us!)

I will attempt to obtain some t-shirts for the winners (which I know are in stock, I might add!)

Please submit your competition entries in the first instance to sulis@heavengames.com. Do not upload your entry to the site until after judging has taken place and the winners announced.

If you have any further questions, please ask away

We wish you all the very best of luck!

Sincerely,

The Stronghold Heaven staff

[This message has been edited by Sulis (edited 05-09-2008 @ 07:43 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Roshko
Archer
posted 07-05-08 09:29 EST (US)     51 / 84       
Hey guys I just want to inform that unfortunately I'll have to drop of the competition due to a trip to Israel my family is planning. I'm not that far with my map and I don't think I'll be able to rush it, but I'll definately post it once finished. I wish the best of luck to the other players and Im really excited to see the Crusader winner.

I'll most definately visit Jerusalem and 'll post some pics of The Dome of Rock and the city istelf

You don't get anywhere just by whishing....FAKe
buczekk
Archer
posted 07-05-08 10:09 EST (US)     52 / 84       
can the battle for Rhodos in 1480 be accepted ?
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 07-09-08 03:05 EST (US)     53 / 84       
That's a shame, Roshko, but we'll look forward to your map when you're able to submit it to the downloads section
I'll most definately visit Jerusalem and 'll post some pics of The Dome of Rock and the city istelf
That would be excellent! Maybe we could add them to our Gallery, with your permission?
can the battle for Rhodos in 1480 be accepted?
As an event, then yes, but you'll need to concentrate on the fortification of Rhodes as your main feature of the map. Rhodes is a complex fortified city to recreate and I don't envy you that particular job!

Make sure you keep any discussions about your map to a minimum though, as your entry is supposed to be confidential!
buczekk
Archer
posted 07-09-08 06:00 EST (US)     54 / 84       
no problem I will probably make Rodos in the Crusader editor beside I have the full plan of Rodos in my own book ;D
Younghappy
Archer
posted 07-09-08 08:35 EST (US)     55 / 84       
I'm thinking of making Chepstow Castle.

I was initially thinking of making an Irish castle...possibly Trim Castle or Carrickfergus. Most of the 'castles' in Ireland are really just fortified tower houses.

However I believe Chepstow Castle has more relevance to this competition as it's the oldest surviving stone fortification in Britain!

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
Duke of York
Knight
posted 07-11-08 13:55 EST (US)     56 / 84       
Good to see that you are going to do Chepstow Castle. I am anxious to see how you choose to recreate it. Both Sulis and I have created maps on the subject. (Sulis' was a siege and mine was an invasion). There are alot of good images and plans available for reference.

I can not officially enter the contest, but I am planning to submit a scenario based on Rothesay Castle. It was a round castle with 4 round towers and a large gatehouse/keep. Rothesay was one of Scotland's Royal Castles. I havent decided if it will be an invasion or siege scenario yet.

Duke of York
"..The Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world." 1 John 4:14

[This message has been edited by Duke of York (edited 07-11-2008 @ 01:59 PM).]

Younghappy
Archer
posted 07-11-08 14:19 EST (US)     57 / 84       
Alas, so you have! I thought no-one had created it SH I was hoping to do a castle not seen before in SH...back to the drawing board again!

You see I searched for it in the dl section but I must've spelt Chepstew Castle.

But at least I have found a nice new scenario to play

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
Duke of York
Knight
posted 07-11-08 16:10 EST (US)     58 / 84       
Younghappy, check out this website. It has alot of aerial images of castles in Scotland. You may see something that catches your attention. I received an email from the site owner stating he has alot of new photos that are going to be added to his site over the weekend.

http://www.scotaviaimages.co.uk/index.html

Another great site to search is Castles of Wales:
http://www.castlewales.com/listings.html

Check out Kidwelly Castle....

Duke of York
"..The Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world." 1 John 4:14
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 07-15-08 08:17 EST (US)     59 / 84       
There's absolutely nothing to stop you from recreating an already modelled castle if you wish, and i'm happy to play whatever is presented to the judges from the entrants

...just in case anyone else is wondering about this point!
strongholder nl
Archer
posted 08-17-08 09:48 EST (US)     60 / 84       
Maybe château Castlenaud may be a good idea.

Those behind crie: "forward!".
Those in front crie: "back!".
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 08-18-08 12:42 EST (US)     61 / 84       
There's less than two weeks left for entries. Anyone close to completing their scenario yet?
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 08-31-08 21:36 EST (US)     62 / 84       
Ok, the deadline is past. I hope we have some maps, Sulis?

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\¦| Seraph |¦//--/_____/
\\//\\//
°ºº°
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 09-02-08 11:17 EST (US)     63 / 84       
Erm.. no. Not one submission. Anyone intending to enter? I'll accept late entries
Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 09-02-08 14:05 EST (US)     64 / 84       
Sulis! not 1 entry, That is not a very good parting gift, I feel for you. I was looking forward to a map making contest but to recreate a castle was not in my interest, SirWhiteWolf tried to get a comp going as well but got the same results, my little Quest for Gold contest only had 5 entries for 2 games. I've also entered 2 contests at Stronghold Knights, the results were as bad.

The interest for stronghold games seems to have fallen off, maybe someone at FireFly will wake up and do some pr that can rekindle the interest for a really good series of games.

I live in Canada and like a lot of other places on this planet Crusader Extreme was really slow in showing up and there was no marketing done at all. Most homes here have more than 1 pc plus several game machines, but when you talk to people here, all you get is FireFly who Stronghold what?

FireFly do you see a trend, but I guess when you make enough money already, not much point spending time and money on Marketing!

So in parting I wish you the best of Luck you have been a good staff member Sulis, Thank you for all your hard work.

ps: I did buy Crusader Extreme but only because I could not find Warchest and wanted the extra trail and Lords. And when I bought Crusader 5 years ago I could only find 1 used copy and could never find the original Stronghold.

Sir_Vet
Tarius
Archer
posted 09-02-08 23:32 EST (US)     65 / 84       
I sent in an entry to that email address you gave. I guess it did not go through, can you please suggest an alternate here? I was really hoping I would be able to particpate in this only to have it swollowed up by a black hole.

Has no one else sent a pm or anything? I would hope I am not the only one, even if I would not win I would still want to compete against someone, not win by defacto-no one else entering.

[This message has been edited by Tarius (edited 09-02-2008 @ 11:34 PM).]

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 09-03-08 08:09 EST (US)     66 / 84       
I'm assuming my heavengames email address still works... if in doubt, try jon(dot)breckon(at)english(hyphen)heritage(dot)org(dot)uk with the usual amendments from words to symbols
Tarius
Archer
posted 09-03-08 18:25 EST (US)     67 / 84       
Ok I have sent one to each address. I wish I could have sent it a bit earlier but I was out all day, I just got home.

I hope it goes through this time.
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 09-04-08 08:13 EST (US)     68 / 84       
Got it, Tarius, thanks. Anyone else??
ericgolf
Earl
posted 09-04-08 15:54 EST (US)     69 / 84       
I had hoped that maybe Roshko might have entered (In view of the BMC works) or artofmath.
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 09-05-08 03:01 EST (US)     70 / 84       
Tarius, if it transpires after, say, one more week that you are the only one to enter, please don't feel that your efforts were wasted. I'm sure that we can do something for you. I think a news item on the main page and a minimap and link to your download (once you've added it to our servers) will help to promote your hard work
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 09-05-08 04:16 EST (US)     71 / 84       
Geez if i had known things were gonna be that bad i would have got something together and entered, i knew we were allowed to but thought it was best to watch and enjoy some quality maps...not to mention work stopped me from doing anything.
Things have slowed for me and i'll be my active self once more but that really doesnt help matters.
Tarius
Archer
posted 09-05-08 13:42 EST (US)     72 / 84       
Well if the map is really that worthy then I say go ahead. As I couldnt really tell what you would think of it.
As I am the one that made it I could not say one way or the other how it is.

Its too bad there wasnt much response, I figured from 3 pages of topic that there would be a few people.
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 09-08-08 06:59 EST (US)     73 / 84       
Its worthy because you put in the time to create something for the competition. Quality means nothing in this case, i'd like to see you rewarded for the effort you put in
Tarius
Archer
posted 09-13-08 13:34 EST (US)     74 / 84       
Well I have now posted it.

http://stronghold.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=5346

[This message has been edited by Tarius (edited 09-14-2008 @ 12:29 PM).]

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 09-15-08 08:52 EST (US)     75 / 84       
Thanks, Tarius. I'll see if one of the staff can make a news item on the main page for you
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames