You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Sword and Buckler Inn
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Sword and Buckler Inn » Email address, duplication in download section.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Email address, duplication in download section.
Darren
FireFly Studios
posted 03-13-09 13:27 EST (US)         
I have noticed recently, that a number of people use (at) to stop a nasty spam spiderbot from grabbing there email address.
The problem is these people don't appear to have realised they have also included the address as an msn messenger address (complete address), below the one that has been changed...
AuthorReplies:
ericgolf
Earl
posted 03-13-09 16:11 EST (US)     1 / 12       
I thought that the actual email address field was validated and insisted that a valid (format) email address be entered. (They can choose to hide it though). I used to have something like that in my profile kind of squeezed into the fields for the chat ids. I think I took it out when I changed to my Heaven Games email address.

For quite a while I had my previous email address open in my profile and I was not aware of any increase in spam. So I am less worried about that nowadays. Or maybe I was just lucky...

At the moment I can't go look in the Downloads as I my browser is having no success for the last 10 mins at getting into the Downloads. I'll try later.
ericgolf
Earl
posted 03-14-09 08:13 EST (US)     2 / 12       
I had a look through some maps in the Downloads and as is often the way with these things none of those author's profiles showed this duplication thing (although I remember seeing it on the odd occassion before.)

Which map/author were you looking at when you spotted it?
Lord Dredde
Archer
posted 03-15-09 22:19 EST (US)     3 / 12       
Also be aware of harvester bots-had an email from myself selling me cheap meds from canada!Fortunately though,they have been dealt with.Update your anti spyware and any other firewall applications etc.If anyone from here wants to mail me add SH1 to the message or it will end up in my'phishing' filter etc.

[This message has been edited by Lord Dredde (edited 03-15-2009 @ 10:21 PM).]

Venomrider
Archer
posted 03-17-09 12:32 EST (US)     4 / 12       
Its important to use the (at) and (dot) things in your address. Spam sucks. It has left me alone but my friend is getting flooded with advertisements for back pain medicine. (he's 12 )

Currently maining (TF2) - Medic

"You are a sick, twisted individual" ~ Blatant7
Lord Dredde
Archer
posted 03-17-09 15:54 EST (US)     5 / 12       
Greeting Venom rider-spam-tell me about it! i live in the UK and get shedloads trying to sell me cheap meds from canada!Like the pic,tiberium research? mmm now where i did see that? ah yes- the Cnc series.Heard of cncden.com?

btw- funniest meds offer was for hair loss-thats why i always wear the helmet,just like judge dredd lol!

[This message has been edited by Lord Dredde (edited 03-17-2009 @ 03:56 PM).]

subindxsubin
Archer
posted 03-17-09 22:19 EST (US)     6 / 12       
Spam isnt a real problem for me. All spam messages go into my spam folder in gmail.

I get over a 100spam mails a day in gmail but all of them go the the spam folder effectively. I dont even have to think about them, they are automatically deleted after some time too.

I have also never had a real and normal mail send to spam folder.

Gmail has the best filtering. Others like hotmail are just.........

I think this is getting off topic.

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master

[This message has been edited by subindxsubin (edited 03-17-2009 @ 10:20 PM).]

WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 03-17-09 23:46 EST (US)     7 / 12       
Can't expect too much it is a free service after all...
Not everyone has bottomless pits of cash like google
Darren
FireFly Studios
posted 03-18-09 10:29 EST (US)     8 / 12       
ericgolf
Earl
posted 03-18-09 13:44 EST (US)     9 / 12       
Did he (Fintrollx) just see it and change it? because it loks like one email addy for email and one for his msn to me
Darren
FireFly Studios
posted 03-19-09 06:14 EST (US)     10 / 12       
Hum, not sure or I made a mistake on that one.
ericgolf
Earl
posted 03-19-09 18:06 EST (US)     11 / 12       
No matter. Because I know what you mean. I know there are instances in there somewhere because I have seen them myself along the way ocassionally.
Lady Arcola
SHH Seraph
posted 03-25-09 01:43 EST (US)     12 / 12       
It maybe an age issue with members putting their info in like that. Members that have been online for awhile know what crawls the internet looking for emails and msn emails.

I get spam at all my HG related emails now, and have since the first day my arcola at heaven games went up on the site.
It recieved 300 nasty spam the first time I opened that email. I about fainted in shock. LOL

Lately its been my msn that is getting spammed. So there is some merit in putting them in all in text or other ways to fool the spam bots. You were not seeing things Darren, there are few up like that I have seen them too.

Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

~ BFME2 Heaven | Stronghold Heaven | Stronghold 2 Heaven~
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames