You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Sword and Buckler Inn
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.54 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Sword and Buckler Inn » Swine Flu.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Swine Flu.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
TheNextJesus
Archer
posted 04-29-09 17:20 EST (US)         
Swine Flu is predicted to soon reach the Pandemic levels, spreading around the world and killing many people. It has been predicted by Experts on the subject that it will kill 2,000,000 people around the world, and 50,000 people in the UK. There have been comfirmed deaths in Scotland And England already.

One boy in Mexico had been diagnosed with Swine Flu, but lived to tell the tale. His father spoke on the BBC news and said he was in bed for 3 days straight. Symptoms in UK are not predicted to elevate this high, and only to show Mild Symptoms.

Vaccines are set to be produced fairly soon, and within 6 months should be being subscribed to people around UK. How long it will take to reach other countries, especially the LEDCs in most of Africa and Asia.

Anyone else a wee bit worried? D:

EDIT: Some figures for the Amount of Cases in America:
"The CDC update said there have been 109 cases including 50 in New York, 26 in Texas and 14 in California."

[This message has been edited by TheNextJesus (edited 04-30-2009 @ 11:50 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 04-29-09 17:33 EST (US)     1 / 54       
A vaccine is useless, it will take 6 months to get anything considered effective and by that time the strain will have mutated and changed countless times over. I don't plan on getting any rapid produced, low tested shots, too risky as history proves.
Anyone else a wee bit worried?
You bet i'm worried.We've got cases here and i heard this morning it has now reached South Africa, if it goes from bottom to top of that continent you can expect mass deaths. Similarly if it spreads throughut Asia (inevitable now) can you imagine what will happen if/when it hits places like India?

I think we are seeing the start of a worldwide disaster, it's all over the globe and everyone knows about it. It has achieved this in lets say a week, give it another and we will realize what we are dealing with.
artofmath
Archer
posted 04-29-09 18:00 EST (US)     2 / 54       
This on top of the economic crisis is going to really, really stress government budgets, especially Mexico, which is a major US trading partner...

I live in Massachusetts, and there have been two people in this state who have been confirmed cases.

As long as on average, one sick patient spreads it to no more than one other patient, we'll be safe. :|

..."religion is the opium of the masses"... - Karl Marx.
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 04-29-09 18:30 EST (US)     3 / 54       
As long as on average, one sick patient spreads it to no more than one other patient, we'll be safe.
Not really, H1N1 consists of viral fragments including human influenza, bird flu from North America, and swine flu from Europe and Asia. Depending on how it mutates you could see it either dissipate or grow but we now have pigs and maye even birds to worry about.
Consider this, and don't call me crazy for suggesting this is a lab, human-made virus because I really beleive it is now.

"for this to have been a natural combination of viral fragments, it means an infected bird from North America would have had to infect pigs in Europe, then be re-infected by those same pigs with an unlikely cross-species mutation that allowed the bird to carry it again, then that bird would have had to fly to Asia and infected pigs there, and those Asian pigs then mutated the virus once again (while preserving the European swine and bird flu elements) to become human transmittable, and then a human would have had to catch that virus from the Asian pigs in Mexico! and spread it to others."

Seem impossible?
Lord Michael I
Knight
posted 04-29-09 20:50 EST (US)     4 / 54       
Interesting point there, Arthus. I had no idea about that...
It's a conspiracy! *Puts on tinfoil hat*

Seriously, that sounds pretty fishy...

Down here we had 4 unconfirmed cases yesterday, 3 of which were discarded today, leaving it to 1 case. 2 States in the country have declared an emergency, and public events are being canceled here and there. Luckily, the case is way far away from where I live, but still...

My Johari window.
Do you have what it takes to hold off Saladins' forces? Find out here...
"I think most people are trying to forget Aqua... Most people I know still haven't recovered from Barbie Girl" - QuickDraw
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 04-30-09 03:30 EST (US)     5 / 54       
It's a conspiracy!
To Government loving drones perhaps it seems like one, it doesn't take much effort to put all the peices together though. For far too long people seeking truth have been lableled crazy and that has to change, slowly you're seeing it is as more people wake up. If you want to broaden your opinion watch the film i have linked in my sig, it is all fact and Ron Pauls brother featured in getting it out to people.

It is a long film and it takes a while to get interesting but it contains information everyone should know.
peter2008
Knight
posted 04-30-09 07:00 EST (US)     6 / 54       
Watched the intro of the vid some time ago. And thought it was just another Republican sample to discredit the person of Obama.
Watched it all today - and it's shocking, disappointing the my hopes for a change. For many decades, US bankers, financiers and industrialists have launched military invasions, civil wars in the "Third World" and stock market crashes to force through their particulat interests.

When Salvador Allende had won the elections in Chile in 1970 and had nationalised the copper industry, the price for copper on the international market hit rock bottom, only to rise again right after the coup by Pinochet.

This all seemed "far away" to me, related to "Third World" countries. Meanwhile, the harsh side of capitalism has reached Europe as well. And though I don't want to believe the facts of the film with my feelings, my head accepts the insights into intrigues and staging tactics by the super-riches.

In the age of Enlightenment, some people worked to limit dictatorship by political rulers and the churches. Long since, money has been the new god, and the bank leaders pull strings the world. It's hard to believe they want the good for mankind. Many low wages workers already are but modern slaves. Slowly but steadily, liberty and democracy are in danger of being overruled by economic constraints.

Created an abstract utterance. Wish I could keep these money things very far from me.

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin
Stratego
Knight
posted 04-30-09 08:57 EST (US)     7 / 54       
I think today's media as newspapers and broadcasting/TV stations always tend to exaggerate the actual situation; they are often responsible for spreading panic among the population(worldwide).
So keep cool as they're trying to make you feel insecure or drive you mad, though be careful and avoid huge crowds wherever you are...
...hygiene is more important than before - the lack of hygiene was one of the main reasons that more than the half of the European population had died of plague in the Middle Ages ...I just wanted to point at this fact...

[This message has been edited by Stratego (edited 04-30-2009 @ 09:01 AM).]

Fintrollx
Archer
posted 04-30-09 10:02 EST (US)     8 / 54       
Killing 2 million people around the world? don't believe, the health care is in so good condition everywhere nowdays expect the poor countries where people don't usually travel anywhere, and most unlike to mexico.

I heard some internet nerds are just trying to fool you people that is that dangerous. When hear massive amounts of people killed in the 'real' news from your TV. Then you should be more worried.

If you like very big battles, i suggest you to try Massacre at Tenjin
Darren
FireFly Studios
posted 04-30-09 10:37 EST (US)     9 / 54       
I don't think there are any deaths in the UK (England, Scotland, etc). I heard there was 1 in the USA and obviously the rest are in Mexico.
TheNextJesus
Archer
posted 04-30-09 11:39 EST (US)     10 / 54       
the health care is in so good condition everywhere nowdays expect the poor countries where people don't usually travel anywhere, and most unlike to mexico
The Majority of deaths will probably occur in the poor countries.
I don't think there are any deaths in the UK
Indeed, but i have heard from a friend in scotland that there have been at least 3 reported cases in the town near her.

I believe this threat is very real, my friend has already taken precautions and stocked up his granary with Cheese and Bread, with Ale to keep his peasants happy.
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 04-30-09 12:03 EST (US)     11 / 54       
When hear massive amounts of people killed in the 'real' news from your TV. Then you should be more worried.
I feel sorry for you if that is what you really beleive. "real" news can be found if you look for it but TV is most definantly the worst place to start. TV only tells you what the government wants you to know and nothing more, and if you don't beleive that then you're open to any lie they want to plant into your head.
Killing 2 million people around the world? don't believe, the health care is in so good condition everywhere nowdays expect the poor countries where people don't usually travel anywhere, and most unlike to mexico.
So many flaws i don't know where to begin. It has reached Mexico, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Germany, Britain, Spain, Israel and South Africa. The seeds are planted and ready to spread into every Country. If you think healthcare gives you some kind of immunity you're wrong, 36,000 people die from common flu every year in the US alone so what are the odds of containing an unknown "super" mutated version? vaccines take 6 months to develop, by that time the virus might be totally different.
If this only kills mexicans it may very well be gene specific and not down to healthcare at all. Genetic weapons capable of wiping out specific ethnic groups are no longer the stuff on science fiction, many high ranking officials have already said this as far back as 1999. Having said that a gene specific virus can be created naturally so i'm not saying it is a bioweapon just yet. I'll have the answer if we see no deaths in Africa, or high populated places like India.

Try to understand what is going on, just because you don't hear it on TV doesn't make it false. There is reason to worry.
Younghappy
Archer
posted 04-30-09 13:15 EST (US)     12 / 54       
expect the poor countries
Yeah and they aren't real people anyway

Oh and there is one confirmed case in Ireland today.

Also one of my mum's colleagues has a son who was in the main city in Mexico where the virus had it's origin and he is now back in Northern Ireland.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 04-30-09 13:33 EST (US)     13 / 54       
Similarly if it spreads throughut Asia (inevitable now) can you imagine what will happen if/when it hits places like India?
There wont be anything left to imagine if swine flu reaches India. The thing will spread super fast here more than elsewhere and hospitals are no good. SO, WE WOULD BE DEAD!

Wish me luck.

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
Desert_Monarch
Archer
posted 04-30-09 14:32 EST (US)     14 / 54       
There is also a confirmed case here in holland.
and good luck subin.

[This message has been edited by Desert_Monarch (edited 04-30-2009 @ 02:33 PM).]

TheNextJesus
Archer
posted 04-30-09 16:40 EST (US)     15 / 54       
Arthus, you seem to have a very deep understanding on the subject. I envy you slightly.
von Schmidt
Archer
posted 04-30-09 17:18 EST (US)     16 / 54       
Here are some quotes from the AoK thread for this, just if you want to get some different perspectives. Here is the original thread if you want to take a look.

Important Note: These aren't my views or anything, just what some other people said.
Hello, Im really just wondering on peoples takes on the supposed pandemic that will be sweeping this world.
Personally I think that the media is making a huge mess of it, you know the whole mountain out of a mole hill
It will blow over eventually. I am not even sure it is that big of deal. People say that viruses are adapting more quickly than we can treat them, but I think that is often taken out of historical perspective.

We have no long term history of viruses and their mutations. In fact just recently have had the technology to really document things like that. And considering there have been plagues that have shapened Empires (see Justinian's Flea) some 90+ deaths is not that serious.

If anything this just speaks to pittiful state that Mexico is in. That nation is so close to collapse and it needs to become Obama-Clinton's priorty to strengthen the Mexican government. That government goes down and we are talking a real national security risk.
I believe America recently had its first death this week, but it was an 18-month old infant, so the child's most likely relatively undeveloped immune system probably couldn't handle it.
The risk of this flu is apparently not that it's dangerous to underdeveloped immune system, but too active immune systems. The body's immune system gets a little bit too enthusiastic fighting the virus and ends up damaging itself. The same was true with the Spanish flu at the start of the 20th century - it was more dangerous to young people than to the elderly.
(The same is true with more diseases; for example, cancers tend to grow more quickly in young bodies than in old.)
The only people who died are Mexicans (either living in Mexico or abroad). So far the only people infected outside Mexico had been there. Btw, I've also heard that in the village where the influenza started, nobody got killed :S
Anyone got any news on that?
It will blow over eventually. I am not even sure it is that big of deal. People say that viruses are adapting more quickly than we can treat them, but I think that is often taken out of historical perspective.
We've been threatened with SARS and bird flu for years. If this is as deadly to humans as those were, god help us!
It isn't. This is a different strand of flu from those (H1N1 as opposed to H5N1 iirc) which has a lower fatality rate.

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES GUILLOTINE

YAH
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 04-30-09 17:50 EST (US)     17 / 54       
If I am worried about something I read up on it to the point i have no questions left, I know enough to keep me safe which is a goal everyone should set themselves.

One thing everyone now has to understand, is that the official pandemic warning hasnt been raised past 4 ever, it wasnt even brought up to 4 when hundreds were dieing of SARS, and yet, 1 person dies in the USA and now were at level 5 already. The people that control us know something most of us don't, however a small minority have been following this.
July last year it was confirmed the US government bought 500,000 air tight plastic coffins, knowing this I and many others asked themselves why? you don't turn to mass producing something like this for no reason. The following video is from last year, listen to the words of the past and how they may relate to where we are today:

dated july 20, 2008 - video of 500,000 (off the record) coffins
von Schmidt
Archer
posted 04-30-09 20:12 EST (US)     18 / 54       
This is starting to sound like a science-fiction movie (government secrets, dangerous bio-weapons, conspiracies...)

I just have a question.... why would the U.S. buy 500,000 coffins for this almost a year ago? That doesn't make sense to me, unless the government was going to test out a dangerous disease on people to see if it works well, but thats too sci-fi......

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES GUILLOTINE

YAH
artofmath
Archer
posted 04-30-09 23:34 EST (US)     19 / 54       
Airtight plastic coffins are IMPERICAL in desposing of corpses infected with highly contagious diseases; a stockpile of plastic coffins in the event of a spreading fatal disease is mere prudence. Bad disposal of an infected cadaver will just spread the disease viruses (where they can last indefinitely) into the soil if it were buried regularly, and even if it did not spread, it would be a ticking time-bomb waiting for someone to find it or touch it.

Does that answer your question, von Schmidt?

..."religion is the opium of the masses"... - Karl Marx.
MNICY
Archer
posted 05-01-09 01:23 EST (US)     20 / 54       
I tend to be very skeptical of conspiracies.
I do not believe the government is competent enough to pull something like that off.

Lords: Conquest - Medieval MMOG
"Come to think of it, how many people CAN fit on a pike?" -artofmath
"How to kill the Rat: Build 20 Horse archers and 10 swords men. Laugh at him." -Lord Michael I
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 05-01-09 02:58 EST (US)     21 / 54       
doesn't make sense to me, unless the government was going to test out a dangerous disease on people to see if it works well
Yep, that about sums it up. Beleive what I say or not i'll still use this thread to share information I know, people can choose what to do and think of it but i'm far from crazy lets just clear that up now
I do not believe the government is competent enough to pull something like that off.
Cuba would not agree with you. *hint hint*

[This message has been edited by WL_D Arthus (edited 05-01-2009 @ 05:10 AM).]

Knightly_Maps
Archer
posted 05-02-09 06:06 EST (US)     22 / 54       
haha Arthus, you may get on well with my friend Dene. He is right into conspiracy theories (such as the NWO), and is probably jumping in the knowledge that this influenza is man-made.

I also am skeptical of conspiracy theories, but largely because I don't want the dreams of my future life to be hiding out in some bunker as part of a resistance. I'd much rather them in a contemporary setting, where I can easily imagine.

But I must say, my friend does manage to make me accept the possibility of these conspiracy theories.

I am not sure whether they're going to really affect me. I've resigned myself. It is easier to believe in fate and destiny then believe that you have to make choices.

But Arthus, thankyou for your advice. Whether it is justified or no, it can only help if we know. Here in Australia, I'm hoping for cases in Canberra so schools can be shut! I jest, I jest.
ericgolf
Earl
posted 05-02-09 08:17 EST (US)     23 / 54       
I hope my usual precautions will work.

1) avoid the coughers and the sneezers
2) if anyone does cough or sneeze nearby, then breath out and find an excuse to leave.
3) wash your hands if you might have touched a germ contaminated surface (particularly if you are soon to do any hand to face operations such as eating)
4) avoid touching your own face (no rubbing eyes/mouth/nose).
5) avoid compromising your immune system (good diet, proper sleep, stay hydrated.)
Lady Arcola
SHH Seraph
posted 05-03-09 01:15 EST (US)     24 / 54       
Good tips Ericgolf, and don't take them lightly.

I just spent this last week very sick with I am guessing a flu bug that hit my respitory system like semi truck. It was an instant cough bug. Then progressed to very sore throat, runny nose and more coughing that made my chest hurt and so on. What worried me was that if this same bug had attacked a older or younger person they may have ended up with a trip to the hospital. I kept my self home and tried not to breathe or cough on my family.
Yes I am better. No one is sick yet in my family but I will watch them for the next 14 days.

The CDC is a good resource, it will tell you how many have contracted a virus and what to do if you come in contact with an infected person. It also gives you a symptom list, out of the symptoms they listed I had all but fever and vomiting.
Here are some linkys for you all to brush up on your info.
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/parents.htm and http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/

Read them, knowledge is the key, lack of knowledge is fear, there are things you can do to perk up your immune system. Start taking a good vitamin, in additon I take a good zinc supplement like Nature's Way
Zinc Lozenges W/Echinacea & Vitamin C. That is what I started on Wednesday. I took vitamin D gell caps too.
Why tell you all this? Because you don't know if you will come in contact with this bug or another flu bug. But you can strenghthen your immune systems to fight off viruses.
Cut out your sugar too, viruses love sugar.

Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

~ BFME2 Heaven | Stronghold Heaven | Stronghold 2 Heaven~
Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 05-03-09 11:26 EST (US)     25 / 54       
This shows the definitions of the WHO's pandemic alert levels: http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/phase/en/index.html

It notes that it's the 2009 revision of the levels, so it's evidently changed since SARS. It doesn't say what's different about them, though.

.--.- Kester -.--.
-.--.- deviations .--. flickr .--. gamertag -.--.-
.--.- if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } -.--.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames