You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold: Game Help & Strategy Discussions
Moderated by peter2008, Lord Michael I, ericgolf, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.33 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold: Game Help & Strategy Discussions » Sparrow's Extreme Challenges - #2 -- Beaumont Motte 1102 AD
Bottom
Topic Subject:Sparrow's Extreme Challenges - #2 -- Beaumont Motte 1102 AD
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Sparrow
Archer
posted 11-05-05 18:06 EST (US)         
main thread | main page | all challenges and solutions | rules | honour roll 

Sparrow's Extreme Challenges 
My personal picks of the most difficult maps to play on "very hard" setting. 

This is the map thread for:

Challenge #2   posted November 5, 2005 
Beaumont Motte 1102 AD 
by Jack ofallTrades 
challenge info | download | solution | main thread 

Solution will be published with the next challenge in two weeks.

Please make all posts for this map in this thread.

Please feel free to post your progress, comments, discussions, compare notes, announce victories, or ask for help on this map, but ONLY POST FOR THIS MAP, please. And please DO NOT START ANY NEW THREADS for these challenges. Any new threads started for Sparrow's Extreme Challenges will be locked or deleted.

To post for other maps or for general challenge comments go to the main thread where you'll find links to all other challenge map threads.

Visit the main page for Sparrow's Extreme Challenges to see a complete write up with links, information, and solutions for every map.

Complete this challenge map and be included in the Honour Roll of Extreme Challenge Masters. To be listed for this map make a post in this thread to announce your victory. You MUST state what difficulty you played on so we know which honour roll to put you on.

DoY's infamous TREASURE ISLAND - Challenge #13 - Sparrow's Extreme Challenges for SH1 and Crusader

[This message has been edited by Sparrow (edited 11-05-2005 @ 08:23 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Lord Blok
Archer
posted 11-23-05 18:44 EST (US)     26 / 33       
Hi Sparrow,
This one took several tries to get the stone required.

I placed a quarry and a market first and deleted the church. Then bought 100 wood while waiting for the quarry to be occupied. Then built 2 hovels and 20 wood cutters.

I had the macemen start expanding the moat and sent the archers to the quarry to take out the wolves. When the wood came in I added a quarry, 10 ox tethers and 10 fletchers. After that I started on the economy.

I kept the 10 archers behind the quarry to take out the wolf's ranged units and sent 10 more behind the pig's quarry to start working on his as well. After the first wave of attacks I sent 10 more archers to each location to finish off the 2 forts. Both castles were easily taken with 20 archers and a few spearmen the knockdown the gatehouses.

When the first attack came I shut down the ox tethers so the enemy would bypass my quarry. I put 10 macemen in front of each drawbridge. This slowed down the enemy enough for me to pick off the archers and prevent him from filling in the moat.

I used a population of 90. Extra rations and 3 inns allowed me to keep taxes set at 8. I built an army of 200 archers, 10 spearmen, 5 swordsmen. Then sold excess bows & spears.

Playing level 15,000
11 months early = 1100
troops lost 31% = 6900
5 stone extra = 50
9979 gold extra = 9979
score 33,029

Sparrow
Archer
posted 11-23-05 20:29 EST (US)     27 / 33       
Glad you hung in there, Lord Block. Congratulations on some nice work. I've checked you off on the honor roll for this one. Star and Crescent awaits if you're up for more.

DoY's infamous TREASURE ISLAND - Challenge #13 - Sparrow's Extreme Challenges for SH1 and Crusader
Lord Blok
Archer
posted 11-24-05 11:09 EST (US)     28 / 33       
Thanks Sparrow, I'm hoping to give star & crescent a try over the weekend.
Andy Baz
Archer
posted 11-25-05 10:17 EST (US)     29 / 33       
Thanks for adding my name - just wanna say 'well done' to those who have done this one. The roll of honour speaks for itself Looking at doing BSR's map now.
Lord Paco
Archer
posted 11-26-05 13:04 EST (US)     30 / 33       
Wow I knew I was new to Stronghold but I think that Map just reinforced it. I could not beat it on very hard. the main problem I was having was getting my military up quick enough and the economy. The first two invasions would leave me devastated. So I switch to hard and gave it a try. On hard I did manage to make it to the end.
Like a few others pretty much everything was inside the original fort. I did not get rid of the black castle until after the 2nd invasion and the red until almost the end of the game. Getting enough stone was not a problem but raising the cash was, at the end I started up as many farms and wood choppers as I could. To sell off the excess for money. I think I got enough cash just minutes before the timer was up. But all in all it was most fun trying to win. I have read through all the post and have found them most enlightening. I try not to come back to the thread until I have won. I'm sure all the tips would have help out but I feel that would have taken some of the fun out of it. But I will say there are some tactics I will keep in mind for the future.
Sparrow
Archer
posted 11-26-05 14:34 EST (US)     31 / 33       
Very well done, Lord Paco. Congratulations. I've put your name up on the honour rolls. That's actually quite an accomplishment for a player new to Stronghold. You'll find that the more maps you play the better you'll get.

Andy Baz
Archer
posted 12-11-05 09:15 EST (US)     32 / 33       
It's a little late but here's the pic from Beaumont Motte. Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Baz (edited 12-11-2005 @ 09:38 AM).]

Ironfist88
Archer
posted 04-23-06 21:00 EST (US)     33 / 33       
Finished this one two days ago.
Just finished third map so I'm worn out and I'll keep it short.

To take the two forts I used almost exclusively archers using high points to reach the outer archers and then running up to their walls to use them as cover and using massed volleys to slowly strip the rest of the fort. Break through a wall and keep pushing them back. Taking out archers from cover and the soldiers next. There was almost no aggression from these enemies so it was just clockwork.
I think I lost only two men to both forts.

Stone was failry simple as four quarries early and keep their production up. I lost four quarries in the first battle, but just rebuilt.

Money was easy with a -8 tax using extra rations and ale that I bought.

For food I used wheat exclusively. There is plenty of land
and more when wood is cleared. Plenty of wood although I bought much later because my defense called for it.

I used about 10 fletchers and only used my initial infantry to take down quarries and break holes. Just kept pumping out archers and using them for defense or to hasten my castle sieges.

For defense I tried to use gatehouses on both sides of river crossings hoping to use fall back tactics under support of archers behind my advance defenses. I noticed early on this would be impossible, being that the southern and nw rivers have to many crossing points. It was too late by then and when the first attack came it just seemed to confuse the enemy and they ended up spinning around the map. Falling under fire from the other outer defenses. I expanded the moat around my initial castle and sealing in the area to the nw with gatehouses and moats. The only threat came from my weaker south wall. The northern and southern attacks both ended up here. Although I covered it well and no real digging even began. The enemy confusion made defense easier, but hurt my economy because remnants lasted through the 2nd attack. So for later attacks I pulled back my inital gatehouses from river crossing closest to the signposts and built mini forts using back to back gatehoues. I used these and the gatehouse on the other rivers to support each other in subsequent attacks. The were enough to keep the enemy from my keep. The last attack was heavier, but I had my archers and defenses set up to where it was just a matter of wearing it down.
So that's it.

[This message has been edited by Ironfist88 (edited 04-28-2006 @ 11:07 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames