You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.155 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » 2nd Stronghold Historical Castle Competition
Bottom
Topic Subject:2nd Stronghold Historical Castle Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 7  Next Page »
Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09-25-05 00:08 EST (US)         

The 2nd Stronghold Historical Castle Competition

As designing a historical castle was the most requested contest idea in The Jousting Ground, Stronghold 2 Heaven is proud to present the 2nd Historical Castle Competition.

Unlike previous contests, entries in this contest may be submitted from the original Stronghold, Stronghold Crusader, or Stronghold 2 games. If sufficient entries are submitted from each game, then we may decide to have a winner for each.

We have selected 7 castles for you to choose from (including 3 Crusader castles), and to get you started have found some historical information and floor plans on each of them.

•Carreg Cennon in Wales [castle info * floor plan]
•Warkworth in England [castle info * floor plan]
•Harlech in Wales [castle info & floor plan * aerial photo]
•Conwy in Wales [castle info * floor plan * aerial photo]

Crusader castles:

•Margat (Marqab) in Syria [castle info * floor plan]
•Krak de Chevaliers in Syria [castle info * floor plan]
•Mamure Kalesi in Turkey [castle info * floor plan]

Your entry should be as close to your chosen castle as possible, but can be of any of the available mission types. We'd like you to base any scenario details on historical events, but we're open to some creative 'What if?' scenarios as well.

So what exactly are we asking you to do?

•The map and castle should be based, as accurately as possible, on one of the 7 historical castles listed above.
•The scenario should be based on a historical event involving that castle, or on a feasible What if?

Other rules and notes:

•The closing date for entries is 30th November 2005.
•All scenario categories can be used.
•We will only accept scenarios that have not been uploaded before, but you can submit a scenario based on a castle already featured on Stronghold Heaven.
•Entries will be judged by the SH Staff on accuracy, historical merit and (of course) playability.

First prize: game of the winner's choice, up to US$40
Second prize: choice of HG t-shirt or hat

Entries should be sent to kester@heavengames.com

Good luck!
The Stronghold Heaven Staff

.-•°•-.-• Kester •-.-•°•-.
•-.-•°•-.-• deviations .-•°•-. flickr .-•°•-. gamertag •-.-•°•-.-•
.-•°•-.-• if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } •-.-•°•-.

[This message has been edited by Kester (edited 09-27-2005 @ 01:25 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Jaime Medrano
Archer
posted 11-01-05 19:32 EST (US)     26 / 155       
Just wondering, but if we do enter, first place winner gets the game of their chioce right?
Would it be possible to get Rise and Fall, even though its not out yet?
Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 11-01-05 20:37 EST (US)     27 / 155       
Well, we can't get it until it's out, and provided it isn't more than $40. But otherwise, yes, it's the winner's choice.

.-•°•-.-• if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } •-.-•°•-.
Duc de Noisiel
Archer
posted 11-02-05 13:41 EST (US)     28 / 155       

Quoted from WarLord_Designs:

I was just curious as to this particular castle plan i found, there appears to be a Kings Chamber across from the castle any Ideas on that.
I notice that in current pictures it doesnt appear to stil stand, is this the case? Could you let us know.

The side blue print of the King's chamber shows a copy of the inner ward which I think is a duplicate of what's called "Sala e camere del re" which means Room and bedroom of the King.

In fact, as per the different opening in the towers and from the main walls layout, it seems the extra blue print shows what used to be a second floor.

Also, is mentionned under the plan: Innerward first floor plan

That's it.

In addition:

Quote:

"The Inner Ward is the heart of the castle, containing, as it does, the suite of apartments which Master James of St. George contracted to build for King Edward and Queen Eleanor in 1283. In each range of buildings the principal rooms were on the first floor, with heated but somewhat dark basements below them. All the floors are now missing."

http://www.castlewales.com/conwy.html

What they call basement is the ground floor. Rooms were always upstairs.

[This message has been edited by Duc de Noisiel (edited 11-02-2005 @ 02:29 PM).]

Andy Baz
Archer
posted 11-13-05 10:53 EST (US)     29 / 155       
Cheers for the information Since designing Conwy castle for the comp i certainly know a lot more about it. Just wanna go and visit now
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 11-14-05 13:14 EST (US)     30 / 155       
HHHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Ahhh. Ouch!

Marqab Castle is giving me blisters. It's harder than I thought. Are we allowed to post our maps after the winner has been determined?

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\¦| Seraph |¦//--/_____/
\\//\\//
°ΊΊ°
Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 11-14-05 13:28 EST (US)     31 / 155       
Yes, we hope all the entries will be posted after the contest

Zebas
Archer
posted 11-14-05 13:49 EST (US)     32 / 155       
Last time there was a competition maps were posted automaticaly after the contest, so if this is still the case send your description page in with it - plus its some extra info to go with it. That right Kester?
At the end of the day - competitions are just an excuse to make maps (and a welcome one at that) - just with nice prizes...

Just to let you know I may enter - the map is coming along s-l-o-w-l-y, hope its ready in time.

Good Luck to everyone!

Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 11-14-05 14:34 EST (US)     33 / 155       
The Castles of Wood contest had the maps submitted to the download section before judging, but this time we're just asking them to be emailed to me.

Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 11-23-05 13:41 EST (US)     34 / 155       
One week left!

Lord Edy
Archer
posted 11-23-05 15:04 EST (US)     35 / 155       
HI THERE, HELLO EVERYONE! (again)
Can I just make a complaint? ...no? tough.
First of all, I live in Wales (although I AM 95% English), and I've been to Carreg Cennin Castle, and can I just say that Carreg Cennin (that's the rocks name) or, in english Cennin Rock (Castle), was one of THE MOST DEFFENCEIVE POSITIONS IN THE WOLE OF BRITAIN, and (oviously) has had more than one settlement on it over time.
And second of all, I have the Guid book and Brousher, and from what I can tell from expiriance, it is IMPOSSIBLE to "recreate" Carreg Cennin Castle in ether STRONGHOLD or Stronghold CRUSADER perfectly.
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 11-23-05 16:30 EST (US)     36 / 155       
I'm stuck. Only one week left.

\\//\\//
°ΊΊ°
NAT
Banned
posted 11-23-05 16:35 EST (US)     37 / 155       
I have been to Carreg Cennon as well, I go there every year on the way to Cardigan where I spend a week holiday with my family! That's why I put it forward as a challenge to designers...

I am giving it a go, the only thing you can't create accurately is the height, the maximum elevation is limited in stronghold but the castle is still very much possible to make. You will see for yourself after the contest!

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 11-23-2005 @ 04:36 PM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 11-24-05 00:19 EST (US)     38 / 155       
TICK-TOCK TIME IS RUNNING OUT
Looks like we'll only get one in out of the three, no guess which one NAT
Lord Edy
Archer
posted 11-24-05 14:35 EST (US)     39 / 155       
I have tried to recreate Carreg Cennin Castle, several times, and I ALWAYS end up chewing the plan in frustration!!!
As NAT said, the hight editor simply doesn't alow it. It probubly is possible to do so in Stronghold2, although I don't actually know...I haven't ever played it, but it's on my christmass list.
Four weeks to christmass!!! (merry christmass everyone)
One week for the compatition deadline!!!
Also, for those of you who don't know, Carreg Cennin Castle doesn't have a keep, just one central inner court/baily, with additions (barbrican, 2nd court/baily).
The lord had two "Solars", there was/is a hall, and a Lord's kithen, accecable only from a side passage in the East curtain wall, all of these are featured in Stronghold2, but non of which are in either STRONGHOLD or CRUSADER
(Sorry for the l-o-n-g lectures)
NAT
Banned
posted 11-24-05 14:53 EST (US)     40 / 155       

Quote:

Looks like we'll only get one in out of the three, no guess which one NAT

Nooooo, try and get the Conwy in as well! My Carreg Cennon is practically done although the balancing has been really tough

Lord Edy, I have had to put in a keep, it's not a perfect copy but it's pretty close! The hardest thing to get right in the castle is the gatehouse system and how it bends around the outisde of the inner wall. My interpretation of it in Stronghold still needs some work.

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 11-24-05 20:52 EST (US)     41 / 155       

Quote:

Nooooo, try and get the Conwy in as well!

OK NAT, just for you though
In truth its complete 100% finished now i just have to polish it and send it to the orange leader

Carreg Cennon is finished, alexus can do the story for that one as i have done the one for conwy and after that it too will be done. Schools finished for us and so we have a ton of free time (well i do anyway )

Arthus

Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 11-24-05 21:40 EST (US)     42 / 155       
What is the max filesize for the map entries. I thought I might submit the awesome pictures I found, but the filesize is 12 MB in zip.

\\//\\//
°ΊΊ°
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 11-24-05 21:52 EST (US)     43 / 155       
convert them all to jpegs then it should be ok. If not zip the jpeg pics, the size will fall alot then

Arthus

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 11-24-2005 @ 09:53 PM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 11-24-05 23:10 EST (US)     44 / 155       
Sending conwy to you in a minute Kester its 2.4 meg with write up pics and map ok?

Arthus

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 11-24-05 23:18 EST (US)     45 / 155       
please be careful when opening it up, for some reason there was a file in the folder which i didn't put in there. I deleted it but just scan it before you download it (i don't want anyone getting a virus) It's clear i have to invest in norton antivirus now

Arthus

Lord Edy
Archer
posted 11-25-05 10:54 EST (US)     46 / 155       
NAT, I thought of doing Carreg CennIn Castle (I'm getting realy annoyed at how everyone spells Cennin wrong) without a keep, but as an out-post of annother fort/camp, Vice-Versa, or as a seige (use the 'elliminate all enemy units' condition).
Just a thought.

P.S. Warlord_Designs, AGV antivirus(free edition, if you don't want to pay) is very good protection software, it's also a pop-up-stopper. Grisoft.com is the best and I use it.

[This message has been edited by Lord Edy (edited 11-25-2005 @ 11:06 AM).]

Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 11-25-05 12:42 EST (US)     47 / 155       

Quoted from Sir Hugh:

What is the max filesize for the map entries. I thought I might submit the awesome pictures I found, but the filesize is 12MB in zip.

8MB please.

As WD suggested, if you could convert the pics to jpegs, it might fall under 8MB?

Quoted from WD:

Sending conwy to you in a minute Kester its 2.4 meg with write up pics and map ok?

Yes, 2.4 is fine. I haven't unzipped it yet, but I'll be careful when I do.

NAT
Banned
posted 11-25-05 16:46 EST (US)     48 / 155       
Sent my entry to Kester

I can't resist! Here is my minimap

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 11-25-05 20:21 EST (US)     49 / 155       
Looking good NAT,
Thankfully Arthus got conwy finished, just the story to go, unfortunately the front gatehouse needs to be removed for the AI to work effectively, but well try and get around it.

Can't wait till we can play the map

Alexus.

Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 11-25-05 22:40 EST (US)     50 / 155       
You know, I feel out-classed by all the experienced map makers participating in this compeition. I really have to work on my Marqab. It was hard trimming down those photos. All were JPEGs and many were about 900KB.

\\//\\//
°ΊΊ°
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames