You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.194 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Contest Ideas
Bottom
Topic Subject:Contest Ideas
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 8  Next Page »
Dpminatr
Archer
posted 12-17-05 15:07 EST (US)         
The Contest Ideas thread seems to have expired. I'm making it to save Kester the trouble.
I'll start with one

Best Eye-Candy Contest-Judged on appearence of eye-candy itself and surrounding landscape

"If your rich uncle bought a new house and you had to help take the wheels off, you might be a redneck." -Jeff Foxworthy
"There was this one girl I was seein' for a few weeks, 'till someone took the binoculars outta my truck." -Larry the Cable Guy
AuthorReplies:
Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-01-07 11:56 EST (US)     101 / 194       
Any of those would be a good wee filler between the main contests, keeps the activity and competitive flowing.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
Sir_Vet
Swordsman
posted 05-01-07 17:08 EST (US)     102 / 194       
How about this,I made a large kingmaker with some high ground top to bottom in the middle and right side no more, I came back to my template and made two completly different maps.
My point is submitt templates pick one make a contest!
I don't know just thinking out loud.
Battle Mage corp
Archer
posted 07-19-07 06:22 EST (US)     103 / 194       
I saw the jousting ground and decided to post my idea.I apologise if I missed the time when these ideas were accepted and hope that this hasn't expired yet.

So here it is:
I have seen a lot of castle here as SH and they are all magnificent.Most of the castles that I download and play are a display of power and genius.They all have one thing in common all of the strongholds are large and well fortified and the attacking army is larger but not very well equiped.I propose making a small castle something very little like "Javier" in the game.And place about 100 troops guarding it.What the castle should lack in army it will compensate in fortofications.If we make a castle deeply fortifed into a mountain the job of beating it will become a lot harder.And instead of making a 3 times larger army I think an equal or even smaller army than the defending one will be sufficient.At this point everyone might be thinking this is crazy.An attacking force like this one doesn't stand a chanse.So to even the odds the designer can place somekind of weakness in the castles armour.

The map that I and my partner posted recently "Kar'ast" is the perfect example.We designed this map to be impregnable.The pre-placed troops can't seige it.But theres a sneaky way to take over the first wall.When enough archers are killed the wall is safe to go near it.You have only one ladderman.We decided to put only one because if he is killed then there is a very slight chanse that you can beat the map.So this should keep up the pressure.

In my opinion we should make maps which are very tough and only patience and a clear mind can beat them.And of course they get a little boring,but if the player loses his or her concentration than he risks losing the fight.So its part of the charm

I hope you like the idea.And forgive me if I said anything wrong.

Morbid Angel
BM corp.

If it's a doze it's a doze, if it's life it's life, the evironment can never be bliss. Author: Luben Karavelov.

[This message has been edited by Battle Mage corp (edited 07-20-2007 @ 05:12 AM).]

TomTom
Archer
posted 07-20-07 17:53 EST (US)     104 / 194       
I support Sir Hugh's idea - I'm imagining the 'Troy' castles...
A Joan of Arc ditty is flowing through my head also, but it's only because of that pretty actress getting shot with an arrow... anyways, yeah. Fantasy competition.
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 08-14-07 10:27 EST (US)     105 / 194       
No matter what your next comp idea is.Suliss, i want you to make sure that there is enough time given. The last comps time was toooo short.

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 08-15-07 02:47 EST (US)     106 / 194       
No, it wasn't. There was sufficient time given to allow for a decent map submission, plus an extension on top of that. You can't hold these competitions open indefinitely.
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 08-15-07 03:05 EST (US)     107 / 194       
Agreed, more than enough time was given the comp just fell on a bad month for us

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
Younghappy
Archer
posted 08-15-07 08:02 EST (US)     108 / 194       
Yes agreed too. To be honest I procrastinated the scripting too much and then I ran into a whole lot of problems when playtesting. And I did have important exams but I feel there was sufficient time given after them. Really it was my own fault.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
artofmath
Archer
posted 08-15-07 23:42 EST (US)     109 / 194       
The map that I and my partner posted recently "Kar'ast" is the perfect example.We designed this map to be impregnable.The pre-placed troops can't seige it.But theres a sneaky way to take over the first wall.When enough archers are killed the wall is safe to go near it.You have only one ladderman.We decided to put only one because if he is killed then there is a very slight chanse that you can beat the map.So this should keep up the pressure.

Yeah. That weakness was quite easy to find. :P

How about this:

We pick a good siege map, and set it to "Very hard". Then players compete for the shortest time to victory.

..."religion is the opium of the masses"... - Karl Marx.
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 02-05-08 08:52 EST (US)     110 / 194       
How about a contest were a hard map is given and the final score and time taken is took into counting to decide the winner?
Just like artofmath said.

This would be a quickc enough competition whcih would be easy enough to judge.

Subindxsubin
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
AZ ViTrAzhAs
Archer
posted 02-07-08 15:44 EST (US)     111 / 194       
As I remember there was such a competition. There are lots of ideas for competitions, for example:

The best 160 x 160 (invasions or economic) The tiny map size would enforce the players to manage the small landscape and create a great scenario at the same time; a lot of original ideas could be revealed then.

The best castle This one would bring out all the skills in castle designing.

The best historical recreation The staff would name the few well - known historical events, and the participators would have to choose one of them and create the interpretation.

The most realistic design The staff would name a few well-known places,and the participators would have to choose one of them and create the interpretation.

A multiplayer competition This one has been offered and hard to control but definitely very amusing!

The seven wonders of the ancient world The competitioners would have to choose one them , and create the interpretation (For example - Alexandria and its Lighthouse, Rhodes and its Collossus etc.)

The best city establishment and it intensification mission There aren't many maps of this type, they require incredible work scripting, also a realistic map design, and, of course, the story.

The best puzzle map This type of maps are always very attractive, and it would be great to find out how far the participators could drift away from the basic strategies and playability aspects.

My apologizes if they were mentioned earlier...

Nothing is as easy as it looks. │
Everything takes longer than you think. │
Smile... tomorrow will be worse.
│>>>Murphy's laws
"Now the neighborhood is cracked and torn..." - The Offspring
Stronghold Crusader projects: 300 Spartans, A Sweet Dream, Fathers' Sins, Chapter 1,
Chapter 2, Chapter 3

[This message has been edited by AZ ViTrAzhAs (edited 02-08-2008 @ 06:28 AM).]

Lord Tanthos
Archer
posted 02-07-08 20:00 EST (US)     112 / 194       
I think that designing the best-looking castle in a freebuild map would be a great idea!

Because, it sets everyone on even ground if you were to pick an original release map to have the contestants build upon (a freebuild that came with the game).
Points could be given for looks, defensive capabilities, practicality, realism, and the rest.
A population limit may be required, just to make every castle fairly equal in size.

Known elsewhere as Planewalker.
surajsubba
Archer
posted 02-07-08 22:56 EST (US)     113 / 194       
Both 'Best looking Castle' & ' Best Puzzle map' sounds good to me

'.___________'-._______________.-'__________.'
.--.________.-~"^'~-.____'~-.-~+=≡↵-._◊◊_.-↵≡=+~-.-~'____.-~'^"~-.________.--.
.-________'.__'.____.-~"'_________"'~-._..-~+=↵≡+-.._◊Ĭ◊_..-+≡↵=+~-.._.-~'"_________"'~-.____.'__.'________-.
'._.-'^'-._ __'-._.-~"_"'~.-=◊↵Dark Water.wip↵=~-._◊_.-~=↵Skirmish Masters↵◊=-.~'"_"~-._.-'___.-'^'-._.'
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 02-08-08 01:17 EST (US)     114 / 194       
The most realistic design The staff would name a few well-known places,and the participators would have to choose one of them and create the interpretation
thats what i'd love

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
AZ ViTrAzhAs
Archer
posted 02-08-08 06:27 EST (US)     115 / 194       
Thanks for your opinions guys

Nothing is as easy as it looks. │
Everything takes longer than you think. │
Smile... tomorrow will be worse.
│>>>Murphy's laws
"Now the neighborhood is cracked and torn..." - The Offspring
Stronghold Crusader projects: 300 Spartans, A Sweet Dream, Fathers' Sins, Chapter 1,
Chapter 2, Chapter 3
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 02-08-08 07:28 EST (US)     116 / 194       
I like the idea of multiplayer and the most realistic.

Subindxsubin
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 02-08-08 08:42 EST (US)     117 / 194       
Great ideas, as always

Give me a week or two to get through some important stuff I must do and we'll open up discussions for our next competition. I was hoping to have a SH:2 and Legends comp next, but if there is enough demand, I can be persuaded!

btw, I absolutely MUST sort out who will help me judge before I consider announcing another competition. I don't want the same delays you all experienced last time...
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 02-09-08 05:44 EST (US)     118 / 194       
* tries to think of a way to make Sulis forget SH2 and SHL*

Hmmm....

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

subindxsubin
Archer
posted 02-09-08 08:09 EST (US)     119 / 194       
Lets take Sulis to the sword and bucker Inn and give him Lady Arcola's special ale. Maybe we can persuade him when he is in the spirit.

Subindxsubin
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 02-11-08 07:20 EST (US)     120 / 194       
Taking me to the Inn to get bladdered is morally wrong, subin, but it might just work...
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 02-11-08 07:42 EST (US)     121 / 194       
Taking me to the Inn to get bladdered is morally wrong
Lol, your point?

Let us guide you in the right direction and we'll discuss why SH and SHC are better over a beer or 2...or 6

how many would it take?

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 02-11-2008 @ 07:43 AM).]

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 02-11-08 08:20 EST (US)     122 / 194       
Not many. Despite the stereotype of a modern day Brit being a lager lout, i'm usually gone after three pints (real ale, mind, none of that weak stuff!)
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 02-11-08 08:27 EST (US)     123 / 194       
haha

Well at any rate we gotta wait on people to reply to this, although another comp for the original games would be great for us it isnt fair for the guys that prefer SH2 and SHL.
If you decide to do that latter i'd happily put my hand up to help you out with voting (if you like), i have both games but do not play em

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

subindxsubin
Archer
posted 02-18-08 22:12 EST (US)     124 / 194       
To get more contests this should be done.
There should be a group(two or three)to start competitions.
there would be plenty then. When sulis approves one of the ideas, they will contest it. This way we will have more competitions.

Subindxsubin
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 03-03-08 08:17 EST (US)     125 / 194       
While SH2H gets a competition why not have a funny screenshot competition? I know it has already been done but for the time being.

I dont think that will be too much work for the staff.

Subindxsubin
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 8  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames