You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.194 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Contest Ideas
Bottom
Topic Subject:Contest Ideas
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 8  Next Page »
Dpminatr
Archer
posted 12-17-05 15:07 EST (US)         
The Contest Ideas thread seems to have expired. I'm making it to save Kester the trouble.
I'll start with one

Best Eye-Candy Contest-Judged on appearence of eye-candy itself and surrounding landscape

"If your rich uncle bought a new house and you had to help take the wheels off, you might be a redneck." -Jeff Foxworthy
"There was this one girl I was seein' for a few weeks, 'till someone took the binoculars outta my truck." -Larry the Cable Guy
AuthorReplies:
Lord Michael I
Knight
posted 04-24-07 18:24 EST (US)     76 / 194       
Nice to know these forums are being used again and SHH is starting to roll out again.
Oh, and I would prefer a fantasy comp...
Lets out much more your imagination

My Johari window.
Do you have what it takes to hold off Saladins' forces? Find out here...
"I think most people are trying to forget Aqua... Most people I know still haven't recovered from Barbie Girl" - QuickDraw
Lord Tanthos
Archer
posted 04-24-07 20:37 EST (US)     77 / 194       
Yes, SHH really picked up somewhat since a little bit after Legends was released.

I think a fantasy map competition would be cool. It would make us Legends designers get some more "luv"

Known elsewhere as Planewalker.
Lady Arcola
SHH Seraph
posted 04-24-07 22:50 EST (US)     78 / 194       
Fantasy would be fun, I could do something in Middle Earth. *wonders where that idea came from*

Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

~ BFME2 Heaven | Stronghold Heaven | Stronghold 2 Heaven~

[This message has been edited by Lady Arcola (edited 04-24-2007 @ 10:53 PM).]

Lord Michael I
Knight
posted 04-25-07 21:16 EST (US)     79 / 194       
I don't know if it's too much work, but why not make 4 simultaneous conests?
A map contest for Stronghold, one for SHC, another for SH2 and another for legends... You know, to have plenty of contestants

My Johari window.
"I think most people are trying to forget Aqua... Most people I know still haven't recovered from Barbie Girl" - QuickDraw
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 04-26-07 08:41 EST (US)     80 / 194       
why not make 4 simultaneous contests

That would be a lot of work, especially if there are designers who play more than one version of the game and want to enter both competitions. In addition, someone needs to playtest the final maps and decide who wins. Someone with golden wings

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-26-07 10:46 EST (US)     81 / 194       
Just announce a historical or fantasy comp and let people create a map on 1 of the 4 stronhold games its been done before with success when there was SH1, SHC and SH2.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
ericgolf
Earl
posted 04-26-07 12:56 EST (US)     82 / 194       
Hey! What about a PYOK map competition? We could certainly do with more PYOK maps because they are great to play but not so popular with designers as they probably feel there is less to design (but not so IMO). It is certainly a genre of its own.

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Lugm Campaign Contribute a Review
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-26-07 14:21 EST (US)     83 / 194       
If we are going to have a comp you will want a broad genre so it attracts alot of contestants. Although PYOK maps can be fun they really do limit the imagination - cosidering Im a terrainist and Alexus does the building side of things he'd have little or nothing to do if the comp was based around this idea. I personally want a comp where designers can show the best of their landscaping and building skills

The reason i dislike them is because you need to leave plain clumps on the map so buildings can be placed, my style doesnt really allow for this - i am yet to see a pyok map that blends the areas so they are not visible on the minimap, and i have always made sure the minimaps look just as presentable as the in-game map.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Lord Michael I
Knight
posted 04-26-07 18:05 EST (US)     84 / 194       
Wait - Why don't you edit the poll and ask what would be best- a fantasy or a history comp?

My Johari window.
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-26-07 20:24 EST (US)     85 / 194       
Good thinkin'

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 04-27-07 03:37 EST (US)     86 / 194       
Lady Arcola and I are discussing the next competition as I type this. I'll note the idea about a poll asking which style of comp you would prefer for future reference.. i'm keen to get a comp under way fairly soon

I'm also keen to run another competition fairly soon after this first proposed comp has finished.. I presume that is okay with everybody?

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-27-07 05:17 EST (US)     87 / 194       
The more comps the better

Someones trying hard to make an early impact at SHH - i like it

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Psycho Jester
Archer
posted 04-27-07 08:38 EST (US)     88 / 194       
PYOK?

I am at a loss for what the heck this is
and yeah I would like to play some comps

never been in one

Here is what my random thought processes produced
FireFly T-Shirt Compitition winning concept

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-27-07 09:16 EST (US)     89 / 194       
Place Your Own Keep

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Younghappy
Archer
posted 04-27-07 11:44 EST (US)     90 / 194       
I really want to take part in ay competition. Though I won't be able to take part in one for a while (GCSEs).

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
ericgolf
Earl
posted 04-27-07 12:09 EST (US)     91 / 194       
Although PYOK maps can be fun ..... The reason i dislike them is because you need to leave plain clumps on the map so buildings can be placed,

younghappy thinks he has avoided this in his as yet unfinished map that he has shown in this map room thread on pyok maps.

But Hey! It could be just one of a several competitions one after the other as Sulis suggests

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Lugm Campaign Contribute a Review
Younghappy
Archer
posted 04-27-07 12:23 EST (US)     92 / 194       
I avoided it to an extent but you can't build a really big compact settlement because of hillds e.g.

But in some areas I created natural defences like the land jutting into the lake. For that all you need to defend is to watch the bridge and build a wall on the side facing the forest.

Another part is squarish shaped and has a lake on 2 a sides and a river on one side so you only need to build one wall though there is one fording point on the river you'll have to block when the enemy and wolves come.

Another place is protected by cliffs and has spaces where you can build gates, you'll need to find these.

Basicly I tried to blend the terrain into the gameplay.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-27-07 13:15 EST (US)     93 / 194       
Yes ive seen his map its very well done

However, it still doesnt change my views on pyok maps - you can blend in the dull areas to some extent but they will always be visible.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Younghappy
Archer
posted 04-27-07 14:39 EST (US)     94 / 194       
Thanks.

Maybe we should start getting more specific about ideas. We've narrowed it down to Historic or Fantasy, more ideas about these two now.

If it's Historic will we choose one castle and we all have to re-create it? Or maybe for a change each individual could pick a castle of their choice or a castle from their own country e.g. Though the latter would be harder for the judge(s) to score.

If we choose fantasy, what ideas do you all have?

It has been mentioned before that you are given a discription or a story of castle and you have to make a map by imagining what you think it will look like. This is better for the designer as he/she gets to use their imaginations alot more but will be more difficult for the judge(s)

And speaking of judges, I know the mods are sorting this out but how many judges will there be? Will they all be mods or will there be some Knights judging too.

Prize. I think being displayed on the front page would be pretty cool but do you have any other ideas for prizes?

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-27-07 16:05 EST (US)     95 / 194       
No worrys YOUNGHAPPY you fully deserve every bit of praise you get.
If it goes by what has been done before the mods will pick 3 castles and the designers get to pick 1 to recreate in the SH editor - bit of a bore in my opinion.

Fantasy well i dont really have any ideas but i thibk its the way to go, the mods could think of a really fun comp without much worrys.

As for judges thats the staffs domain, well at least it has been at this site from the very begining. And i hope they judge alot better than the last comp, no offense but we came second to a map that was buggy and unplayable - even the author admited this.

I remember we won a hat/T-shirt (2nd prize) last comp we had and the winner won a game of his choice however i would imagine the funding for prizes would be pretty hard to get off the Halos (or whoever dishes out the cha-ching)
because of the ageing site.

last little thing i'll say...mods pick fantasy...cough cough...

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Younghappy
Archer
posted 04-27-07 16:15 EST (US)     96 / 194       
Okay thanks for the information.

[This message has been edited by YOUNGHAPPY (edited 04-27-2007 @ 04:17 PM).]

Younghappy
Archer
posted 04-29-07 16:48 EST (US)     97 / 194       
Any more updates from the mods??

Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 04-29-07 19:35 EST (US)     98 / 194       
How about a fantasy castle scenario design. The judges could write a description of fantasy castles from a movie or film or book and have participants make the castle and/or a war scenario of it.

This contest allows for creativity!

I still like the sound of a fantasy competition.

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-01-07 03:37 EST (US)     99 / 194       
Any more updates from the mods??

Still thinking about the finer points, and i've had a few days off relaxing in a little cottage in deepest Northamptonshire, hence no posts! I'm also spending the next few days studying, so apologies if i'm not around much until Friday (I know this has nothing to do with the contest, but I thought it would be beneficial (and only fair) to keep you all aware of my movements!)

We hope to announce the details of the competition by Friday (see above), but I can tell you that i'll be judging the comp with input from Lady Arcola.

We have decided what competition we will run already, but please keep any ideas flowing.. I will make a note of your thoughts and requirements!

[This message has been edited by Sulis (edited 05-01-2007 @ 03:37 AM).]

Dragons Rider
Archer
posted 05-01-07 05:30 EST (US)     100 / 194       
100th post! Um, Sorry, Couldnt resist(Beat you Yonghappy)
Today I thought of another idea. Maybe another screenshot contest, although with new categories.
Eyecandy
Editor trick maybe?
Ship
Can't think of anything else right now.....
Just thought I'd though I'd mention it.

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
Robert Orben
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6 ··· 8  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames