You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.194 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Contest Ideas
Bottom
Topic Subject:Contest Ideas
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 8  Next Page »
Dpminatr
Archer
posted 12-17-05 15:07 EST (US)         
The Contest Ideas thread seems to have expired. I'm making it to save Kester the trouble.
I'll start with one

Best Eye-Candy Contest-Judged on appearence of eye-candy itself and surrounding landscape

"If your rich uncle bought a new house and you had to help take the wheels off, you might be a redneck." -Jeff Foxworthy
"There was this one girl I was seein' for a few weeks, 'till someone took the binoculars outta my truck." -Larry the Cable Guy
AuthorReplies:
Jasper Tudor
Archer
posted 04-05-06 13:46 EST (US)     26 / 194       
Oh, and add:

Llansteffan Castle, The UK (Wales...again)

to the list. Great castle, like a mini-Pembroke. Owned by the real Jasper Tudor

Sand is overrated. It's just tiny little rocks.

Check out my latest map, Dear Brother
Dark NeRo
Archer
posted 04-05-06 15:24 EST (US)     27 / 194       
i agree with the others thatg we should make an other historical castle contest but we should wait maybe two weeks or so
NAT
Banned
posted 04-05-06 19:03 EST (US)     28 / 194       
Those are all great castles Jaspar, I still have a semi unfinished Llansteffan on my computer from the first historical comp well over two years ago!
Jasper Tudor
Archer
posted 04-07-06 08:36 EST (US)     29 / 194       
And don't forget Skenfrith Castle! I beleive you can all guess where it's situated...

Why were all (ok, not really all) the nice castles built in Wales?

NAT
Banned
posted 04-07-06 10:37 EST (US)     30 / 194       
Skenfrith Castle is only quite nice, I visited it a few years ago, it is one of trio of castles.
The most impressive of that trio is White Castle. I believe my version of it is residing in the downloads after I wrote a Castle of the Week article on it

Quote:

Why were all (ok, not really all) the nice castles built in Wales?

Because the Welsh were always rebelling, we needed castles to keep them under English control!

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 04-07-2006 @ 10:38 AM).]

Duc de Noisiel
Archer
posted 04-11-06 12:03 EST (US)     31 / 194       

Quoted from Nat:

Because the Welsh were always rebelling, we needed castles to keep them under English control!

Remember the Auld Alliance...
Dougleass
Archer
posted 05-15-06 10:48 EST (US)     32 / 194       
I don't really have any of those bright ideas, but first, I think there should be more competitions.
Secondly, I think there should be a huge, massive competition where anyone can enter, where simply the best designer wins, a competition with no rules, more than the designer who gets most votes wins.
As I understand, there really hasn't been any competition without any map rules, but then I'm not so familiar with SH competitions.
Sparrow
Archer
posted 05-15-06 12:56 EST (US)     33 / 194       
Yes, anyone please jot down any ideas for contests here, no matter how bizarre. We do need to get another contest of some sort going.
Lord Gandor
Archer
posted 05-15-06 13:37 EST (US)     34 / 194       
How about a general eye candy map competition? The most creative and beautiful map wins. Or maybe one with making a large city? Another historical competition would be good too. Hey, I'm 400th post

Winter is coming. Stark words, Game of Thrones
Mr. Christie, you make goooooood cookies!
Sticks and stone will break my bones, BUT MY SWORD WILL HURT YOU MORE!

[This message has been edited by Lord Gandor (edited 05-15-2006 @ 04:51 PM).]

MS13
Archer
posted 05-15-06 20:03 EST (US)     35 / 194       
IM IN

Dougleass
Archer
posted 05-16-06 10:34 EST (US)     36 / 194       
Yeah, I like that idea. I have tested alot of map types, and I have found that big cities are my favorit maps. Rome and Happytown are examples of that.

I would gladly enter a competition like that.

Lord Gandor
Archer
posted 05-17-06 22:30 EST (US)     37 / 194       
What does everybody else think?

[This message has been edited by Lord Gandor (edited 06-06-2006 @ 06:38 PM).]

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-18-06 03:49 EST (US)     38 / 194       
i'd be happy with another hystorical comp or even a terrain competition

Eyecandy...well i might skip that one,

Arthus

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
Jasper Tudor
Archer
posted 05-18-06 05:44 EST (US)     39 / 194       
I'd pass on the eye-candy comp. as well. Historical castle competition!

Lord Gandor
Archer
posted 05-18-06 08:35 EST (US)     40 / 194       
Don't matter to me

HISTORICAL!

[This message has been edited by Lord Gandor (edited 06-06-2006 @ 06:38 PM).]

Timballisto
Archer
posted 06-18-06 20:05 EST (US)     41 / 194       
Idea-

For something after the historical castle competition, I've got an idea. This is something I've already tried out with my friends, and it was kind of cool (one of the few ideas of mine that they liked). The only problem is, for it to be a real competition it needs a way to be judged, which I have yet to think of.

Here goes

What the competitors do is view documents on a fake historical castle. They have to interperet them into a level. The point of this when I did it was to see what my friends each came up with on their own and to see what I would come up with too. There was a surprising amount of variation in the resulting maps. This may seem kind of silly, seeing that you can do the same thing with a real historical castle, but maybe you might like the idea. Hrm. Problem with the objective remains. Should maps be made trying to imitate the real thing as closely as possible? The problem with that is there is no 'real thing' unless you're going to count an interperetation by the person who wrote up the documents. Suggestions?

Dark NeRo
Archer
posted 06-19-06 12:38 EST (US)     42 / 194       
Maybe we can have a wooden castle contest again, but i think we should have a contest soon. Maybe sarting in tree weeks and deadline is somewhere in the end of august.
Lord Gandor
Archer
posted 07-15-06 10:25 EST (US)     43 / 194       
Hold on here. So you're saying it's like recreating a castle out of a fantasy book or something? Just going by description? Good idea.

It would show how the person images the castle in their own mind.

Younghappy
Archer
posted 07-17-06 17:28 EST (US)     44 / 194       
Historical or Timballisto's fantasy idea.
Not eye-candy, it involves reading too many tutorials.LOL

Younhappy

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins

[This message has been edited by younghappy (edited 07-17-2006 @ 05:29 PM).]

Lord Gandor
Archer
posted 08-18-06 23:49 EST (US)     45 / 194       
Hmmm, perhaps we need to get SHH moving a little bit. A great, big, juicy contest might be just the ticket to get up the competition between designers.

Not that its not moving already. It's moving more than any time I've been here. Probably cause its summer...I just don't wanna end up really lazy and never make maps. My designer hand is crumbling! NO!

I'm so lazy I hardly download maps anymore.

Tsk, tsk. I need to start working. New games do make me slack in SH. Timballisto has some good ideas. Speaking of which, is he still around?

So please? Any other ideas for a competion to get the blood moving again?

Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 09-25-06 10:22 EST (US)     46 / 194       
How about a fantasy castle scenario design. The judges could write a description of fantasy castles from a movie or film or book and have participants make the castle and a war scenario of it.

This contest allows for creativity!

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//

[This message has been edited by Sir Hugh (edited 09-25-2006 @ 10:22 AM).]

Younghappy
Archer
posted 09-27-06 18:07 EST (US)     47 / 194       
Come on there hasn't been a competition my whole time on this website, lets get a competition going -Historical or the fanatsy one mentioned by Sir Hugh and Timballisto.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
Dragons Rider
Archer
posted 10-03-06 04:35 EST (US)     48 / 194       
I say either Timballisto's idea or wooden walls comp.
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 10-07-06 22:07 EST (US)     49 / 194       
I'm honestly bored with the idea of a historical comp, i'd much rather something more creative like a fantasy map. Of corse for a comp to run smoothly you need staff members who agree to the idea. Is there enough activity at SHH for a comp these days, i doubt it

I'd love to see one even if their were no prizes involved, having your winning map on the homepage would be good enough

Arthus

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 10-09-06 19:59 EST (US)     50 / 194       
I'm ready for another competition, as long as it is not eyecandy. I really like my idea of a fantasy castle competition.

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 8  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames