You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.194 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Contest Ideas
Bottom
Topic Subject:Contest Ideas
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 8  Next Page »
Dpminatr
Archer
posted 12-17-05 15:07 EST (US)         
The Contest Ideas thread seems to have expired. I'm making it to save Kester the trouble.
I'll start with one

Best Eye-Candy Contest-Judged on appearence of eye-candy itself and surrounding landscape

"If your rich uncle bought a new house and you had to help take the wheels off, you might be a redneck." -Jeff Foxworthy
"There was this one girl I was seein' for a few weeks, 'till someone took the binoculars outta my truck." -Larry the Cable Guy
AuthorReplies:
Darkslave Master
Archer
posted 11-05-06 14:31 EST (US)     51 / 194       
How about someone writes a story (at least 1200+ words i think) and describes a lost land/realm/some other thing and people try to create a map going along with it and resembling the feeling of the story and most ways possible, then the best map gets a notice on the front page, the rest can maybe be released in a map-pack (the winner 1 loose from it since some people only want to dl that one)
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 11-06-06 09:43 EST (US)     52 / 194       
I'd sure like to see a comp, just for fun - no prizes involved . It would liven the place up and create some competition....which some people think is lacking here. Then again is there enough people to even bother with a comp? maybe not, i understand its alot of work for the mods... but i'd like to participate in the first competition in the 'sparrow' era

EDIT: i forgot several words lol

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 11-06-2006 @ 09:44 AM).]

Dark NeRo
Archer
posted 12-05-06 13:22 EST (US)     53 / 194       
We must get a competition going... I really get bored...

I have some other castles to ad for a competition:
Marienburg/Malbork
Ludlow Castle
Carew Castle

[This message has been edited by Dark NeRo (edited 12-05-2006 @ 01:27 PM).]

Timballisto
Archer
posted 02-05-07 22:09 EST (US)     54 / 194       
What if we did a competition for the best tiny map? Contestants would submit a 160x160 map of their choice and then we could vote on which was the best.

-DOOMBRINGER-
"DOOMBRINGER, make a parking space IMMEDIATELY!"
"DOOMBRINGER declares it to be SO!"
"DOOMBRINGER, I command you to lay siege to THE ISS!"
Lord Tanthos
Archer
posted 02-05-07 23:10 EST (US)     55 / 194       
Hmm...I like Timballisto's idea. Small maps are fun to make, because you can detail every last tile and not worry about taking forever.
You would probably want to keep the entries anonymous, simply to make favortism less possible. An old Guild Wars site I once visited did that, and I liked it a lot.
But would this be purely design or a full map?

Known elsewhere as Planewalker.

[This message has been edited by Lord Tanthos (edited 02-05-2007 @ 11:11 PM).]

Timballisto
Archer
posted 02-05-07 23:37 EST (US)     56 / 194       
...Good question...there's something in me that wants a full map, but that would really limit things wouldn't it (signposts XE )? I suppose for practical purposes we should make it design only.

-DOOMBRINGER-
Younghappy
Archer
posted 02-06-07 13:50 EST (US)     57 / 194       
Yeah it would be good to get something going. There have been many good ideas over the past year but none acted apon. Please get something going.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
Timballisto
Archer
posted 02-07-07 20:59 EST (US)     58 / 194       
...I'm assuming you're talking to the mods...

-DOOMBRINGER-
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 02-07-07 21:16 EST (US)     59 / 194       
A mod hasnt walked in here since the kester days and i dont really see that changing which is a shame id like a comp

Arthus

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 02-08-07 03:41 EST (US)     60 / 194       
I'll volunteer to judge a competition, if the staff don't have the time or resources. It's up to you
Younghappy
Archer
posted 02-08-07 11:49 EST (US)     61 / 194       
That would be cool Sulis. We should have a poll to see what kind of comp would be the best.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
Younghappy
Archer
posted 02-08-07 12:40 EST (US)     62 / 194       
Flick back a few pages and you'll see that a fantasy map seems to be most popular. This would be difficult to judge but allows the designer to use their imagination more.

Historic is also popular, it is easy to judge but limits the designer.

Warlord_Designs doesn't seem that interested in historic and they have taken part in competitions before so know what to expect.

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 02-09-07 07:28 EST (US)     63 / 194       
Yeah i'd rather not have another historical comp, there have been too many in the past and i'd have much more fun with something else (something that lets us be more creative). It would be great if you judged it Sulis we just have to get a word from sparrow or an angel

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Younghappy
Archer
posted 02-09-07 12:11 EST (US)     64 / 194       
Maybe you could send an email to Sparrow if we want something started now.

Dark NeRo
Archer
posted 02-13-07 07:24 EST (US)     65 / 194       
What about a fictional Cede-Scenario Competition?
The Deigners/ Designing Teams will have to create a fictional castle, which isnt based on any real existing castle. All maps must feature the cede event and must have included full modelled landscape and working scripting.
A good, explaining story should be included

The judging categories would only be the ordinary one:
Map Design
Creativity
Playability and Balance
Story

subindxsubin
Archer
posted 03-29-07 03:13 EST (US)     66 / 194       
How about this

There will be 5 teams with 5 members in each.Each team makes a map(all teams must submit a same type map eg:eyecandy)and submits them.The moderaters vote for the map that they like the best(each moderater has one vote and one vote has one value)
.The team with the highest number of votes wins.It could be held every 2 months

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 03-29-07 04:00 EST (US)     67 / 194       
There are alot of members here that would much prefer to make thier own map, well i think im right on that one could be wrong.
I agree we need a contest, winner doesnt need to win a prize if thats the sole issue mods.A winning entry displayed on the front page is a good enough prize to get me interested and im sure a compeditive spark around these forums would liven things up

Im not sure when we had a contest last seems like years ago...

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

subindxsubin
Archer
posted 03-29-07 08:42 EST (US)     68 / 194       
The competitions could be held like this 5 teams together will form a group and each group will have a competition every two months.Maybe one of the moderaters would open thread for each group or something.The names of the winning teams in each group will be displayed in the front page as warlord_designs said.

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
Psycho Jester
Archer
posted 04-14-07 02:05 EST (US)     69 / 194       
Hello to all
I build huge Siege maps called "Factions of Zin"
Siegs Palace
Vlads Fortress
Coming soon Athurs Camelot

I also have the original Warring Factors of Zin

2 of them are in the standard skrimish maps area

Here is what my random thought processes produced
FireFly T-Shirt Compitition winning concept

Psycho Jester
Archer
posted 04-19-07 02:35 EST (US)     70 / 194       
Has anyone played my Siege maps?

Factions of Zin

Here is what my random thought processes produced
FireFly T-Shirt Compitition winning concept

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-23-07 00:39 EST (US)     71 / 194       
wrong place to promote yor maps, do that in the map room mate

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-24-07 13:30 EST (US)     72 / 194       
Lets delve into the past, a scary place where i quote a once black named Sulis:

I'll volunteer to judge a competition, if the staff don't have the time or resources. It's up to you

hmmm i guess you can answer your own question now ....please, please oh please can we have a contest soon lol

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 04-24-07 15:25 EST (US)     73 / 194       
It's on my list of things to do! So...

Can we have, in addition to the many ideas already posted in this thread, a definitive idea for what sort of contest you would like?

Younghappy
Archer
posted 04-24-07 15:38 EST (US)     74 / 194       
I said a while back
Flick back a few pages and you'll see that a fantasy map seems to be most popular. This would be difficult to judge but allows the designer to use their imagination more.

Historic is also popular, it is easy to judge but limits the designer.

Warlord_Designs doesn't seem that interested in historic and they have taken part in competitions before so know what to expect.

I'm not sure if W_Ds position on historic has changed o not.

I will try and enter the competition. Though I have GCSEs starting very soon and they finish around 15th-20th of June. If the deadline was for the 1st of July I could enter.

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-24-07 15:50 EST (US)     75 / 194       
I dont want a decission made purely because i dont want a historical comp, we will partake in whatever is chosen but having said that YH is right on the money - we'd rather a fantasy comp because over the years there have been too many historical competitions and it really does limit the imagination - well thats what i think anyway.

To make life easier for you Sulis i would say the 2 comps that will attract the most support are:

1. Fantasy comp
2. Historical comp

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 8  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames