You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.237 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader: Fantasy Scenario Competition
Bottom
Topic Subject:Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader: Fantasy Scenario Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 10  Next Page »
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-04-07 07:48 EST (US)         
Ladies and Gentlemen. On behalf of the staff at Stronghold Heaven, I would like to cordially invite you to compete in;

The Stronghold and Crusader Fantasy Scenario Competition

As the title suggests, we are looking for a fantasy/ficticious scenario that can be set in either Stronghold 1 or Stronghold: Crusader. The scenario content is entirely up to you, and can be based on either a siege, invasion or economic map. There are only a few limitations, which are set out below, and the competition is designed to allow you all to let your imaginations run riot!

• No freebuild scenarios or skirmish maps; we want to see full use of the editor, including any events
  • You must produce a full story and/or instructions to accompany the scenario. In addition, you must produce a separate document to explain how and why you chose the scenario, what you are trying to achieve with the map and explain any specific events, landscapes and characters
  • You may submit one Stronghold 1 map and one Stronghold: Crusader map if you wish; two maps per designer

In the case of multiple designers with one account, you can either submit maps designed by both parties, or separated individually, but clearly labelled by the individual designer.

The idea of the competition is not just to allow you to exercise your imagination, but to explore the use of the editor and complete a 'packaged' map (i.e. map, write-up, separate document and screenshots/minimap).

A few other pointers;

• Eye candy is up to the designer, however you will not be punished if you do not have great swathes of tricks littering the map
  • All entries will be judged by Sulis with assistance from other members of staff. Our decision will be final.
  • You must complete a new scenario, not a map already submitted to the downloads section (although you may use a semi-completed scenario from your hard drive as long as it has not been made public knowledge to others)
  • Entries will be judged on unique scenario design, a strong story and/or instructions, excellent use of the editor and a genuine 'feel' of fantasy or fiction throughout your scenario

The closing date for entries is 13 July 2007.

There will be two winners, one for Stronghold and one for Crusader. The winners will have a dedicated page on the site under the competitions tab with minimaps, screenshots and an introduction to the scenario, including the judges' comments. The map winners will also be added as a news item. Runners up will have minimaps and judges comments. All maps will have a link taking forumers to the relevant download.

Please submit your competition entries to Sulis@heavengames.com. Do not upload your entry to the site until after judging has taken place and the winners announced.

To all of you who play Stronghold 2 and Stronghold: Legends, your turn will be next!

No doubt there will be many questions, so please ask away

We wish you all the very best of luck!

Sincerely,

The Stronghold Heaven staff

[This message has been edited by Sulis (edited 06-07-2007 @ 10:56 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-19-07 05:13 EST (US)     26 / 237       
Thats great to hear Sir Hugh, i honestly though crusader would be forgotten but i'm real happy someone is using it over the more popular SH1. Crusader lets designers build very nice castles

Cant wait to see these entries, comps never fail to bring the best out of designers.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-19-07 19:34 EST (US)     27 / 237       
I made a start tonight. The mini-map's looking a bit strange at the minute as I'm making a strange landscape. But the in game landscape is coming along nicely. Good luck with the rest of you.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-26-07 05:48 EST (US)     28 / 237       
Are playtesters allowed for our competition maps?

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-26-07 08:11 EST (US)     29 / 237       
As long as they are not entering i hope they are - i wouldnt mind passing our senario over to get some opinions later on

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-26-07 08:29 EST (US)     30 / 237       
I can't see any reason why you can't ask for playtesting from someone else
Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-26-07 08:32 EST (US)     31 / 237       
Okay, thanks for clarifying that Sulis

Captain Diablo
Archer
posted 05-26-07 13:18 EST (US)     32 / 237       
Well now, I guess I'll have to partake in this event too! Tell me do you want the files in ZIP form or just regular?

"It was a fine cry, but it had no bottom and it had no top, just circles and circles of sorrow."
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-26-07 13:24 EST (US)     33 / 237       
Zipped, please. That way it will get past the spam filters as I have all emails directed to my work address.
Captain Diablo
Archer
posted 05-26-07 19:36 EST (US)     34 / 237       
Aight, thanks for the info. Great idea for the community!

"It was a fine cry, but it had no bottom and it had no top, just circles and circles of sorrow."
apuya24
Archer
posted 05-26-07 22:59 EST (US)     35 / 237       
hmm. i haven't been here for a while. maybe i can get started on a crusader map i've been dreaming up after my exams. i'm glad that i "will not be punished if you do not have great swathes of tricks littering the map". that way i can focus on the map as a whole and not putting little cool eyecandy.
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 05-27-07 11:52 EST (US)     36 / 237       
Maybe i will also enter this competition, since its the first competition i am witnessing.(hope i wont end up dead last) or maybe not i will probably delay sulis in his work by having him look at my map.I dont know what to do.

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-27-07 13:48 EST (US)     37 / 237       
You should give it a blast SubindxSubin, I've seen Duc de chevaliers-setting off part 1 in the map room and it looks really good.

I've nearly finished terraining my own map!! Though it will probably take longer getting some minor details fixed up.

[This message has been edited by younghappy (edited 05-27-2007 @ 01:49 PM).]

subindxsubin
Archer
posted 05-28-07 03:14 EST (US)     38 / 237       
Sulis i would like to know the following

can a map that is a part of a campagn i am working be used for the competition(it hasnt been released yet)

can two people work on a map and submit it.

by fantasy what do you expect what should be the map be like.

Please answer.

Subindxsubin
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-28-07 03:46 EST (US)     39 / 237       
I think i can answer 2 of the 3 questions Subin...
can a map that is a part of a campagn i am working be used for the competition(it hasnt been released yet)
As long as no one has seen it, it isnt an issue - however if youve promoted it in the forums already with pictures i dont think it will be allowed
can two people work on a map and submit it.
Hmm good question i'd say no but im not a mod - we share the same name and have been designing togther for a long time so i figure it only applies to us and people like the old NAT. Having said that if we are allowed others probably should have this option available to them. I just dont know Sulis will have to fill you in on this one
by fantasy what do you expect what should be the map be like
I gather you mean "what makes a map a fantasy senario?" if thats what you mean i asked the very same question. It comes more down to story than anything else - use that to set the mood of you map. For example macemen make good orcs.
Terrain i beleive also plays a large part. Without giving too much away our map has rock and cliff formations i wouldnt normally use. Eye candy and trcks like perma fire and snow can also help here.
Fantasy castles/structures are really just down to the imagination - try something different to a keep with four walls. Tall towers, curved walls and custom made buildings all help
I could go into more detail but that would be giving ideas away
hope this answers most of what you need to know,
Arthus

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 05-28-2007 @ 03:52 AM).]

Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-28-07 04:35 EST (US)     40 / 237       
You see, I want to make a cool fortress but I would also like to give the player the job of fixing up a fortress. It's nothing fancy at the minute becaue of this as I would like to stick with story, a huge fancy fortress would look out of place but would probably get better marks from Sulis!

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-28-07 04:56 EST (US)     41 / 237       
SubindxSubin, to confirm:-
Can a map that is a part of a campaign I am working be used for the competition (it hasnt been released yet)?
Ad WL_D has already said . If you have posted any pictures of the scenario, or discussed it in any way on the forum threads (or even via the downloads), then no, it cannot be used. And I will check. Bear this in mind, you don't want to see your hard work rejected before i've even had a chance to play the map
can two people work on a map and submit it?
No. Warlord_Designs (and the old NAT team) were formed a long time ago. Moreover, they have both proved, over a number of years, that their intentions were clear and honest (joint accounts aren't usually the norm). I'm not prepared to accept a joint effort, nor am I prepared to accept a new account based on two people wishing to compete together solely for the purpose of this competition.
By 'fantasy', what do you expect what should be the map be like?
A Fantasy Scenario has no limitations; you can design whatever you wish, have a story (and style) to suit your own purpose, a landscape and buildings (castle) that does not need to look like.. well, a castle.. if you so wish.
a huge fancy fortress would look out of place but would probably get better marks from Sulis!
Not necessarily! As impressive as huge fortresses can be, littering the map with huge amounts of eye candy in the shape of large fortifications will not immediately warrant a high score. By all means, let your imagination run free, build a 'fantasy' castle, but remember that I will be judging the scenario on a number of key areas (see my original post). I'm looking for a balanced approach across all areas
subindxsubin
Archer
posted 05-28-07 04:58 EST (US)     42 / 237       
Thanks warlord designs i have already got a lot of ideas and what is a perma fire.Hello younghappy i am also working on a map with a huge fancy castle.I dont think any one is making a crusader map for the competition so maybe i will have a chance.

Subindxsubin
von Schmidt
Archer
posted 05-28-07 13:14 EST (US)     43 / 237       
Sulis, what do you mean when you say we need to write a document that tells "how and why we chose the scenario"?

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES GUILLOTINE

YAH
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 05-28-07 13:23 EST (US)     44 / 237       
I think he means introduce your map, give a rundown on why you chose to do such and such and how you came up with the ideas behind the map. I guess this is the part where you try to sell your ideas and wow over the judges

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 05-28-2007 @ 01:24 PM).]

subindxsubin
Archer
posted 05-28-07 13:43 EST (US)     45 / 237       
Now that i have all the info i need i can start making my map.

Subindxsubin
Younghappy
Archer
posted 05-28-07 14:04 EST (US)     46 / 237       
Good luck!

*Passes Creativity cap to SubindxSubin*

subindxsubin
Archer
posted 05-29-07 00:05 EST (US)     47 / 237       
Good luck!

*Passes Creativity cap to SubindxSubin*
I really need that, thanks younghappy.

Subindxsubin
Dragons Rider
Archer
posted 05-29-07 03:09 EST (US)     48 / 237       
I was wondering, would it alright to have a sort of in-game storyline, as in something you could print off and read part-by-part as you completed certain sections of the map or would you find it too annoying?

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
Robert Orben
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-29-07 08:15 EST (US)     49 / 237       
Not annoying at all, that idea sounds interesting
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 06-04-07 03:03 EST (US)     50 / 237       
Time is ticking away people i hope you are all hard at work we have some nice little tricks im dieing to show you all.

I'd just like to know who the judges are, if i were to guess it would be DOY and the two oranges but i'd like a mod to clarify that

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 06-04-2007 @ 03:04 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 10  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames