You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.237 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader: Fantasy Scenario Competition
Bottom
Topic Subject:Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader: Fantasy Scenario Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10  Next Page »
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 05-04-07 07:48 EST (US)         
Ladies and Gentlemen. On behalf of the staff at Stronghold Heaven, I would like to cordially invite you to compete in;

The Stronghold and Crusader Fantasy Scenario Competition

As the title suggests, we are looking for a fantasy/ficticious scenario that can be set in either Stronghold 1 or Stronghold: Crusader. The scenario content is entirely up to you, and can be based on either a siege, invasion or economic map. There are only a few limitations, which are set out below, and the competition is designed to allow you all to let your imaginations run riot!

• No freebuild scenarios or skirmish maps; we want to see full use of the editor, including any events
  • You must produce a full story and/or instructions to accompany the scenario. In addition, you must produce a separate document to explain how and why you chose the scenario, what you are trying to achieve with the map and explain any specific events, landscapes and characters
  • You may submit one Stronghold 1 map and one Stronghold: Crusader map if you wish; two maps per designer

In the case of multiple designers with one account, you can either submit maps designed by both parties, or separated individually, but clearly labelled by the individual designer.

The idea of the competition is not just to allow you to exercise your imagination, but to explore the use of the editor and complete a 'packaged' map (i.e. map, write-up, separate document and screenshots/minimap).

A few other pointers;

• Eye candy is up to the designer, however you will not be punished if you do not have great swathes of tricks littering the map
  • All entries will be judged by Sulis with assistance from other members of staff. Our decision will be final.
  • You must complete a new scenario, not a map already submitted to the downloads section (although you may use a semi-completed scenario from your hard drive as long as it has not been made public knowledge to others)
  • Entries will be judged on unique scenario design, a strong story and/or instructions, excellent use of the editor and a genuine 'feel' of fantasy or fiction throughout your scenario

The closing date for entries is 13 July 2007.

There will be two winners, one for Stronghold and one for Crusader. The winners will have a dedicated page on the site under the competitions tab with minimaps, screenshots and an introduction to the scenario, including the judges' comments. The map winners will also be added as a news item. Runners up will have minimaps and judges comments. All maps will have a link taking forumers to the relevant download.

Please submit your competition entries to Sulis@heavengames.com. Do not upload your entry to the site until after judging has taken place and the winners announced.

To all of you who play Stronghold 2 and Stronghold: Legends, your turn will be next!

No doubt there will be many questions, so please ask away

We wish you all the very best of luck!

Sincerely,

The Stronghold Heaven staff

[This message has been edited by Sulis (edited 06-07-2007 @ 10:56 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 06-04-07 04:17 EST (US)     51 / 237       
So far, i'm the only one confirmed to judge the maps. The comp needs more than one for a balanced approach. I'll let you all know who else will be assisting me as soon as I can
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 06-04-07 05:00 EST (US)     52 / 237       
Hi everyone,
Hope you are all well.

I've come down with quite a bad case of the flu, and to make things even worse our heating needs repair.

I hope it wont take to long too get better, i've spent the last 3 days in bed.

I hope we don't run out of time.

Alexus.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 06-04-2007 @ 06:05 AM).]

Dragons Rider
Archer
posted 06-04-07 06:46 EST (US)     53 / 237       
Ouch, thats a bad time to get it Alexus!
Happy to say that I'm well on my way, most of the map design done, slowly woking my way through the special effects of the map. (They are not scripting )

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
Robert Orben
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 06-04-07 06:51 EST (US)     54 / 237       
Yes i was hoping you'd be getting better, seemed pretty bad yesterday. If you dont think you'll be able to work on it this week i'll take the map and get working on some things let me know when your recovering and i'll pop by when my dad goes to work sometime.

Oh and on the judges, i actually agree that you will need another person sulis just to give a varied opinion on each map submitted. Depending on the person a judge mght see fit to give better scores to maps with: eyecandy, better scripting ect ect so having more than 1 opinion would be nice i think - especially seeing how the last comp that we entered was judged...

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 06-04-2007 @ 06:54 AM).]

Younghappy
Archer
posted 06-04-07 11:49 EST (US)     55 / 237       
I have finished terraining except that I need to make room for another quarry and I have to add trees, shubs and animals. Can't wait to see the rest of your maps. My map design turned out pretty good, perhaps my best map design so far and the landscape is quite unique, I don't think I've ever seen it used in other Stronghold maps. I havn't thought of much about scripting, don't expect something amazing from that particular aspect but I have alot of ideas for the story that link well with the map.

Oh and get well soon Alexus, I don't think you'll run out of time and I'm sure the time limit could extended if you don't manage to finish on time.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
ericgolf
Earl
posted 06-04-07 13:54 EST (US)     56 / 237       
I'm sure the time limit could extended if you don't manage to finish on time.
Well. If the time limit is elastic I'm sure we could all do with a bit more time However, I had imagined that the closing date was the closing date.

Personally, it is looking unlikely that mine will be finished in time but at least the competition will have spurred me closer to completion and you never know...

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Lugm Campaign Contribute a Review
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 06-04-07 14:09 EST (US)     57 / 237       
we'll make sure we have it done in time, im sure of that

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Sir Ravenclaw
Archer
posted 06-04-07 15:15 EST (US)     58 / 237       
I was only just notified of this competition a few hours ago! How foolish of me
I should more than likely have a map finished by the 29th June, but of course, some people may need more time to compelte their maps.
I honestly can't wait to play everyone's maps!
Loegaire
OD Core Group
(id: Lord Ap Hywell)
posted 06-04-07 23:16 EST (US)     59 / 237       
Finished and submitted, since I'll be in Ireland from Wednesday until July 2. Good luck to you all.

On the individual level the response may appear to be a fiction, but fiction in a wider cultural context has a way of appearing to be true.
Dragons Rider
Archer
posted 06-05-07 03:30 EST (US)     60 / 237       
That was quick!

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
Robert Orben
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 06-05-07 04:47 EST (US)     61 / 237       
Thanks younghappy.

Alexus.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Duke of York
Knight
posted 06-05-07 09:49 EST (US)     62 / 237       
I plan to assist in judging the maps as well. Sounds like we are going to have a good crop of maps!

Duke of York
"..The Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world." 1 John 4:14
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 06-07-07 03:22 EST (US)     63 / 237       
Good to hear DoY

Im just going to say that the way our map is heading it seems like it might be the best we've done yet however its still early days and we are really struggling for time - school exams and such fall at very bad times

I know the final date had been decided but its fallen at a very hectic time for alot of students. Having said that im still confident we'll have it in
I hope we have more people entering, so far its only a handful - if your competing how bout mentioning that here so people know who they are working against

good luck all, kep working hard.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

subindxsubin
Archer
posted 06-07-07 10:13 EST (US)     64 / 237       
know the final date had been decided but its fallen at a very hectic time for alot of students.
You got that right my school opened and i cant even find time to do anything other than study, i cant even find time to start my map so i am just thinking more on my map for ideas. ;(

I would really like the date changed (give one more month) but it cant be changed especially not now. ;(

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 06-07-07 10:39 EST (US)     65 / 237       
As much of a pain it would be, if you want quality rather than a rushed entry from us i think we need more time. We have never made a map in such a small space of time - its quite hectic to just complete the map let alone the scripting and story...

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 06-07-07 10:56 EST (US)     66 / 237       
Whilst I may have left my school days behind, i'm fully aware that extra study and busy periods of the year can play havoc with the timing of this competition.

I did say that I need to be informed if the deadline set is likely to cause problems. Therefore, how does an extended deadline of 13 July sound to everyone? An additional two weeks may make a huge difference to everyone, and encourage more entries, perhaps?
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 06-07-07 10:59 EST (US)     67 / 237       
I'd be very very happy if that could happen mate

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Younghappy
Archer
posted 06-07-07 11:10 EST (US)     68 / 237       
That would be better, thanks. We may need to advertise abit more, so far only regular forumers with the odd exception have shown interest. Is there any way of drawing some older designers who have left the heaven back in to the competition and enticing some new folk from the download section into the competition as well.

There is an anouncement on the main website but not everyone checks that very often.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 06-07-07 11:11 EST (US)     69 / 237       
Try to get a mention on the HG main Sulis that may help i could even spam that crazy place called OD if i have to...

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Lord Tanthos
Archer
posted 06-07-07 13:00 EST (US)     70 / 237       
I'm liking the anticipation so far!

Currently I'm awaiting the Legends competition. I like SH1, but the editor is more fickle, and by the lights is a heck of a lot more required of you (editor-trick eyecandy wise).

I mean, I just want to make a natural-nice looking very playable map, I don't need to make a broken dam (in the middle ages no less). Or...or create some massive fortress with walls so high they would topple over in one hit. Let's just say that standards have become way to high in an area I personally find a bit unnecessary .

Known elsewhere as Planewalker.
ericgolf
Earl
posted 06-07-07 13:27 EST (US)     71 / 237       
how does an extended deadline of 13 July sound to everyone?
Yeah!

I think I can safely say that my map will be ready by then

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Lugm Campaign Contribute a Review

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 06-07-2007 @ 02:30 PM).]

Younghappy
Archer
posted 06-07-07 13:54 EST (US)     72 / 237       
Well the folks at OD had a sudden surge of n0obs posting game related threads and they weren't too happy about it so the threads were closed.

I think it would be best if an email was sent to GillB or someone before you post a thread about the Stronghold Competition.

WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 06-07-07 18:39 EST (US)     73 / 237       
Great!

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Younghappy
Archer
posted 06-07-07 18:45 EST (US)     74 / 237       
I'll put a link in my signature, that way it's not spammin but everyone in OD will see it.

The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 06-12-07 00:46 EST (US)     75 / 237       
Hey all! Never been on this exact site before but have been looking for a comp to get in. I just have one question: Does each person have to do one Stronghold and one Crusader map or just one map? Because I only have Crusader. Can we choose to do 2 maps or 1? Thanks.

Instead, are there any just Crusader comps?

[This message has been edited by The Dragonheart (edited 06-12-2007 @ 01:52 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames