You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.162 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Jousting Ground - Stronghold's Competition Corner » The 2nd Fantasy Scenario Competition
Bottom
Topic Subject:The 2nd Fantasy Scenario Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 7  Next Page »
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 01-01-12 17:38 EST (US)         
Lords and Ladies, this year brings contests! On behalf of the Stronghold Heaven Staff I would like to invite everyone to compete in

The 2nd Fantasy Scenario Competition - For all games

The competition has closed

We are looking for fantasy/ficticious scenarios that can be set in any of the 6 games: Stronghold 1, Stronghold Crusader, Stronghold 2, Stronghold Legends, Stronghold Crusader Extreme or Stronghold 3. The scenario content is entirely up to you. The competition is designed to allow you all to let your imaginations run riot! The rules and mechanics of the competition are listed below:

- An user can join the competition with one or two scenarios: One for Stronghold 1, Stronghold Crusader or Stronghold Crusader: Extreme (Games Group I) and one for Stronghold 2, Stronghold Legends or Stronghold 3 (Games Group II)

- You must complete a new scenario, not a map already public on the downloads section of SHH or any other website (although you may use a semi-completed scenario from your hard drive)

- Only maps with scripting and preset gameplay. No skirmish, freebuild, castle builder, multiplayer maps are allowed.

- To join the contest, users will have to send their entries to Lord_of_Hell@heavengames.com along with any additional files (e.g. story/instructions).

- The entries are closing on 1st April 2012 Hopefully that will give enough time to everybody to show their best.

- There will be two winners, one for Games Group I and one for Games Group II (see the meanings upper)

- Entries will be judged by members of Stronghold Heaven Staff on unique scenario design, a strong story and/or instructions, excellent use of the editor and a genuine 'feel' of fantasy or fiction throughout your scenario.

- Eye candy is up to the designer. Lack of them will not affect the score.

Additional Notes & Updates

- In case you send your entry earlier then update your scenario, you can always re-send your entry and the last one will count. However, do not spam with entries.
In addition, the entries you send will have to be complete. Do not send files with the purpose to complete an earlier entry. If you forget something, re-send everything again.

- The Story counts equally as any other category (design, balance etc). Since it's a fantasy scenario, the story is a must. To keep it easy for everyone we will follow the review guidelines:
> No text -1.
> A couple of lines that don’t really explain the map or objectives - 2.
> A basic story that explains what the map is about- 3.
> Good, compressive and detailed story - 4
> Exceptional story - 5.
Rating goes down if there are grammar/spelling mistakes. No, you don't have to write a novel. If you found your map idea, words should come by themselves.

- Who are the exact judges?
Games Group I (SH1; SHC; SHC:E): Lord_of_Hell & Peter2008 & DeSteff2222
Games Group II (SH2; SHL; SH3): Doomsword & Stratego
Judges will evaluate each map in particular then compare them and decide together which is the best. Their decision is final.

- After the judges will have decided the best map for each Games Group, participants will be invited to submit their scenarios to the Stronghold Heaven Downloads section. [Edit 2nd April: No reason to further delay the maps publication. They are free to be released]
Soon after they are approved, each of them will receive at least one review from the judges.

The closing date for entries is 1st April 2012. The judging time will depend on the number of entries. Afterwards, the winners and their maps will be spotlighted in a news post.
Prize: The winners will get a Custom Title in the forums.

In this thread you can: ask questions, announce your participation, post pictures and updates from your contest map or suggest additions. Updates of the post will be noted in a post if required.

You may not submit your contest map to the download section until 1st April 2012 when the entries are closed.
In addition, Staff members that are judges must not playtest maps that are going to join the competition. This has to be in the users' attention as well. You can eventually request playtesting from another user but maps that have been tested by a judge and Staff member will not join the competition.

Who has announced his participation? (Click on a nickname to view his map updates!)
PerfectImperfect, Aleks S I (SH-K), Fayez2010, SkullHeroLord, WL_D Arthus, Charles of Tours (SH-K), wolfman4god, Duc Volpe (SH-K), PaultheDubious (SH-K), Adam the First, GiGaBaNE, AZ ViTrAzhAs, La LUmiere (Lord Falkord from SFH), Gryfon (SFH), The Dragonheart, Sir Killer CDL (SFH), Korsfarer Mogens, LordBlackadder.
Who has sent his entry ?
PaultheDubious (SH-K), Korsfarer Mogens, LordBlackadder
, Duc Volpe (SH-K), Fayez2010, Sir_Vet, Charles of Tours, WL_D Arthus, La LUmiere, Heroesflorian.

With that said, let us see as much competitors and competitive spirit as possible!

Good luck competing and have fun designing,
The Stronghold Heaven Staff

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//

[This message has been edited by Lord_of_Hell (edited 04-03-2012 @ 05:48 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
SkullHeroLord
Archer
posted 01-06-12 06:03 EST (US)     26 / 162       
Oh no...
Just noticed that Fayez is in...
I will loose....
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 01-06-12 07:08 EST (US)     27 / 162       
All maps from SH1, SHC and SHC:E games will be judged together (that's why they form Games group I). So, fayez is not the only "enemy"

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Fayez2010
Archer
posted 01-06-12 13:57 EST (US)     28 / 162       
SkullHeroLord. Intsead of you, I should say that I'll lose bcoz Adam the First and WLD are in. But I'll not say. I'll compete.

Don't accept the defeat if you have 100 swords and enemy have 1000.

I still don't have any idea or story. Enjoying the first rainfall of winter at least for now.

Titanic is as strong, even God can't sink it.

[This message has been edited by Fayez2010 (edited 01-06-2012 @ 02:01 PM).]

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 01-06-12 14:38 EST (US)     29 / 162       
Everyone has a chance, but above everything, the fun of competing counts mostly.

I've announced the contest on a French forum as well, known as the Stronghold French Heaven. Hopefully several more mapmakers will join the fun along the way.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
GiGaBaNE
Archer
posted 01-07-12 05:24 EST (US)     30 / 162       
Im in!

I can announce that my project is called 'lions claw' and is for stronghold 2. I dont mind waiting till april to release as thats only a bit behind my own target time, thankfully its not been seen by anyone but me yet so it doesnt bend the rules even tho i started it already

question: must it be a single map file?
my scenario is limited by the map editor. my work around was to create multiple identical maps with changes to terrain, borders and progress of the actors within.

The campaign is spread over multiple missions which in turn are spread over multiple map files, but the entire scenario is set with the same actors in the same geographical location.

is this allowed?

Warning: Smokers computers die younger. Dont let them breath your smoke, or at least clean the heatsinks 5 times more often than a non smoker!

My opinion is free, spellchecking costs extra.
AZ ViTrAzhAs
Archer
posted 01-07-12 06:02 EST (US)     31 / 162       
Greetings guys! Very long time no see. Actually, so many good memories came upon, once I came here.

First of all, I'm glad to see that Stronghold isn't forgotten. A lot has changed since my last visit, new people, new games, but it's so nice to have people like Lord of Hell, who personally informed me about the competition. With little thinking I thought this is a chance to get back to mapmaking!

I had started a very interesting and quite unique scenario in many aspects before I quit the mapmaking. But now I think I'll continue with the started. Maybe some of you have noticed that I usually spent months or even a year to finish a project. But this time I'll have to make it in a shorter time

Once again I'd like to thank the staff for doing a great job!

Nice to be back

Nothing is as easy as it looks. │
Everything takes longer than you think. │
Smile... tomorrow will be worse.
│>>>Murphy's laws
"Now the neighborhood is cracked and torn..." - The Offspring
Stronghold Crusader projects: 300 Spartans, A Sweet Dream, Fathers' Sins, Chapter 1,
Chapter 2, Chapter 3
SkullHeroLord
Archer
posted 01-07-12 06:24 EST (US)     32 / 162       
@Fayez - We will all loose if AZ makes a map...

@AZ - Welcome back.

@LOH - Oh no...
But how the hell can there be a non skirmish map for SHCE!???!?!!?

(Only way my victory chances coud be lower if Dragonheart made a invasion version of Requiem!)

[This message has been edited by SkullHeroLord (edited 01-07-2012 @ 06:26 AM).]

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 01-07-12 07:41 EST (US)     33 / 162       
This is getting more and more interesting, isn't it?
Awesome to have you back AZ and good to see my efforts have been rewarded

GiGaBaNe, yes, there has to be only a map file. Sorry but this is the way to ensure everyone contributes equally for a win. So, one map, not a campaign-type. Two maps are allowed if you join with a map for Games Group I and another map for Games Group II.

Skull, i believe a skirmish map is not the only possibility for SHC:Extreme. You could eventually use the sav-to-map trick and/or custom AIVs.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Fayez2010
Archer
posted 01-08-12 13:54 EST (US)     34 / 162       
@Skull Hero Lord: I've already said that I'll not lose or accept the defeat.

@LOH: Yes, this is getting more and more interesting!

@AZ ViTrAzhAs: It will be more fun if you make a map. I'm also ready with a unique idea.

peter2008
Knight
posted 01-09-12 03:09 EST (US)     35 / 162       
T'all you guys, I feel very happy about your great resonance to our call.
This is going to be interesting!

Hi, Lord Paul (whom I gladly became acquainted with in the Kingdoms Alphas).
Hi Az, am rejoiced to meet you again.

Of Honour without Fame,
Of Greatness without Splendour,
Of Dignity without Pay
- Walter Benjamin

[This message has been edited by Peter2008 (edited 01-09-2012 @ 07:15 AM).]

GiGaBaNE
Archer
posted 01-09-12 07:59 EST (US)     36 / 162       
GiGaBaNe, yes, there has to be only a map file. Sorry but this is the way to ensure everyone contributes equally for a win. So, one map, not a campaign-type. Two maps are allowed if you join with a map for Games Group I and another map for Games Group II.
Dang! guess ill just have to dig deep and come up with plot just for the competition then =D

Warning: Smokers computers die younger. Dont let them breath your smoke, or at least clean the heatsinks 5 times more often than a non smoker!

My opinion is free, spellchecking costs extra.
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 01-09-12 09:01 EST (US)     37 / 162       
Update!

After the judges will have decided the best map for each Games Group, participants will be invited to submit their scenarios to the Stronghold Heaven Downloads section.
Soon after they are approved, each of them will receive at least one review from the judges.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
SkullHeroLord
Archer
posted 01-11-12 11:04 EST (US)     38 / 162       
Ahhh...nice...

I am thinking of quiting the Vampire Idea,and making a RPG style one,called "Tom of Bedlam".

[This message has been edited by SkullHeroLord (edited 01-11-2012 @ 11:05 AM).]

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 01-11-12 18:25 EST (US)     39 / 162       
The vampire idea can vary on the way you want to implement it in the design. A good RPG style map is quite hard to achieve but if you got everything well planned, it can work

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
The Dragonheart
Archer
posted 01-12-12 10:35 EST (US)     40 / 162       
Haven't posted for many months...

Count me in. I have a Crusader map that I'm sure will turn heads when finished.

[This message has been edited by The Dragonheart (edited 01-12-2012 @ 10:37 AM).]

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 01-12-12 10:48 EST (US)     41 / 162       
Another epic return, nice to have you back Dragonheart

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
SkullHeroLord
Archer
posted 01-12-12 13:59 EST (US)     42 / 162       
@LoH - Nah,I gave up the RPG idea...I will have to remake my map tho...It's not working right...I din't have the talent to make Big Invasion Maps.
But the story will be the same...

@Dragonheart - Welcome back.
Aleks S I
Archer
posted 01-12-12 18:48 EST (US)     43 / 162       
Well, I may finally have an idea that the SH1 editor will co-operate with, although the excess of well known designers (most of whom I have no previous knowledge of) is slightly worrysome.

I'm starting to wish I had not lost my copy of Legends, as some features fit well with the "Fantasy" theme...

"Judge not,
Lest ye be Judged"
-Jesus, Matthew 7:1, Luke 6:37
Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 01-12-12 19:41 EST (US)     44 / 162       
Excess of well known designers? Giving that, they should be worried as much as you are

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//

[This message has been edited by Lord_of_Hell (edited 01-13-2012 @ 06:40 AM).]

Fayez2010
Archer
posted 01-15-12 13:42 EST (US)     45 / 162       
Wow! The competition is becoming more challenging, day by day.
Welcomeback The DragonHeart!

(to all) I got an idea for my "Special Fantasy Map"! A very special idea.

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 02-01-12 15:17 EST (US)     46 / 162       
I have posted a news with some updates on the competition.

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
ericgolf
Earl
posted 02-01-12 15:57 EST (US)     47 / 162       
wish I had not lost my copy of Legends, as some features fit well with the "Fantasy" theme...
Don't worry, Aleks S I. You will see from Lord of Hell's top post that...
We are looking for fantasy/ficticious scenarios
i.e. it is to be fictional (meaning not an historical scenario). I think I am correct in saying that it need not contain "fantasy" elements like dragons or such. It simply needs to have a fictional story/setting.

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 02-01-2012 @ 04:01 PM).]

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 02-01-12 17:04 EST (US)     48 / 162       
Yes eric, good point

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
Fayez2010
Archer
posted 02-06-12 06:17 EST (US)     49 / 162       
Take a look at the first stages of my map under construction.
http://stronghold.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forum/display.cgi?action=ct&f=17,3872,,10

[This message has been edited by Fayez2010 (edited 02-06-2012 @ 06:18 AM).]

PaultheDubious
Archer
posted 02-06-12 07:42 EST (US)     50 / 162       
Hi, Lord Paul (whom I gladly became acquainted with in the Kingdoms Alphas).
Thanks Peter, good to see you

I *think* I have almost completed the landscaping, it's a lot of fun, I recently started mapmaking again, and it's been great reacquainting myself with the little tricks you can do in the SH1 editor (I just rediscovered the 'place seagulls anywhere' trick).

I think I will let the landscape inform the story, I have no theme in mind just yet...

Paul (LPtD)

His Dubiosity knows no bounds...

[This message has been edited by PaultheDubious (edited 02-06-2012 @ 07:43 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames