You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, peter2008, Doomsword

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.83 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » AI Castles .aic files
Bottom
Topic Subject:AI Castles .aic files
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Doomsword
Earl
posted 04-24-09 19:55 EST (US)         
I've yet to look at the castle editor and I was under the impression that it is used to change the footprint of an AI's castle. Is this change saved to the map file or does it change some other game file?

I just assumed it would alter one of the game files and that I would need to include this altered file in the DL. Any one dl'ing the map would then have to mod the game slightly to have the change take affect. Am I right or wrong with this assumption.

I would like to use this program since Barclay in my current map is not quite finishing his castle for some reason. He is leaving out 1 small piece of wall next to his keep allowing me to waltz right on in bypassing his inner gate. I'm just not keen on requiring people to mod their game to play my map.
I have been playing with the AI Castle Editor a lot recently. The Queen never finished her castle and after a little muddling around, the editor is really easy to use. It's got some issues that could be tweaked but they are more annoyances than anything else.

Fixing that problem with Barclay would not be hard and then yes you would have to supply the updated .aic file for downloaders to drop into the Castles folder. A wonderful path of opportunity for custom maps if people can follow along because you can get a lord to build to into custom terrain and timing. Some of the War missions use special .aic files for the lords.

I've been building aic. files to release as a bundle. Fixing existing errors and making more defensive castles that will work flawlessly with the existing files. You can just add more castles to a lords repertoire by increasing the file name integer e.g. Queen_01.aic to Queen_09.aic . I was thinking about seeing if anyone else was interested in getting involved to make a SH2 Heaven AI Castle bundle with a whole lot of working designs, because the default small AI castle in the game is pretty lame. There is plenty of room to design bigger castles too.
You can just add more castles to a lords repertoire by increasing the file name integer e.g. Queen_01.aic to Queen_09.aic
I never really noticed this before but from this statement I'm assuming that the AI's in the game already have a number of designs to use when building their castles. I wonder what factors are used to determine what design an AI will use? The space available perhaps or is it just a random choice? It would have been really nice if we could specify what design an AI should use.
I've been building aic. files to release as a bundle. Fixing existing errors and making more defensive castles that will work flawlessly with the existing files.
This is a great idea Doomsword! I wasn't impressed with the existing designs of the AI's castles either. I agree that most castles are quite small but size can be an issue on 6-8 player Kingmaker maps. Some just don't have the room for a very large castle layout.

I'm looking forward to this bundle to see and what you come up with! I would be willing to help with this but I'd need to know what you've done so far first. I was about to begin work on a new siege map but maybe I'll take a look at the AI castle editor instead.

ps...

It took me most of the morning but I finally got the Java version I needed to run the AI editor. I've only taken a quick look and so far I like what I see (mostly). I see what you mean by annoying. Too bad the editor doesn't default to the castles directory where the .aic files are stored in the first place when you go to open one.

I noticed that Barclay has 3 layouts to choose from yet he always uses the second layout in my current map. I'm glad it stays the same yet I wonder why that is? I also noticed that the missing wall tile in his castle should not be missing. In the editor it shows the wall in this spot overlapping the corner tower of the keep. I willing to bet that the person who created this layout knew about the missing wall tile and tried to fix it without success and just gave up on it and moved on. This suggests that getting the AI to build the way you want is as difficult as getting the AI to attack the way you want.

Anyway, I'm off to see what I can do with this and try to get the hang of it.

/\.........................../\
/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
/_/./././|||||||||||||\.\.\.\_\
/_/./_/{||||||||||}\_\.\_\
/_/......X..|||..X......\_\
AuthorReplies:
Ouly
Archer
posted 06-01-09 19:24 EST (US)     51 / 83       
It's another I made for the king that doesn't work, inexplicably
Now that's weird...as is your last post about the Hawk.

Getting oil to work is sounding a bit like hit or miss; trial and error. Not very encouraging. In fact, inconsistent results like that are extremely annoying...

What's with the old saying, "Like having your cake and eating it too"? That's easy.
Now, eating your cake and still having it, that's a wee bit harder to do.
Doomsword
Earl
posted 06-02-09 22:12 EST (US)     52 / 83       
Adding the Smelter last has helped get two out of three of Barclay's working properly. It seems like it might be a manpower issue. Maybe all the engineers are generated at the same time so if there are not enough extra villagers they get left out. I keep watching for them to spawn but never get to catch it all. An extra hut won't hurt I suppose.

/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
Ouly
Archer
posted 06-03-09 18:55 EST (US)     53 / 83       
Adding the Smelter last has helped get two out of three of Barclay's working properly.
I'll keep that in mind when I add it as well as the manpower issue.

btw....your Avatar has disappeared.

What's with the old saying, "Like having your cake and eating it too"? That's easy.
Doomsword
Earl
posted 08-26-09 19:05 EST (US)     54 / 83       
Hmm, I am making this a sticky because of forum archiving and I want to post again and [He-Man voice]'I Have The Power!'[/He-Man voice]

This project has collected enough dust. I still need a good castle for the Bull. I also have to re-prioritize some moat to avoid trapping sprites.

/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
Doomsword
Earl
posted 09-27-09 20:47 EST (US)     55 / 83       
I tried placing the Stockpile before the Keep. The Keep never showed up and my game crashed shortly thereafter.

/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
grant1977
Archer
posted 11-13-09 21:28 EST (US)     56 / 83       
Hello,

I would like to download the new Castle files you guys made, is there a download link where these are available? I havent seen any in the Misc section.

I think the Castles were a weak spot in SH2 and fixing them will be a great plus.

Lord Grant

Doomsword
Earl
posted 11-14-09 03:09 EST (US)     57 / 83       
Hail grant1977, Ouly's are available in his map First Command. The ones I made will get put up sometime relatively soon, hopefully. I was never happy with my design for the Bull and a few other details need to be ironed out.

/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
grant1977
Archer
posted 11-16-09 23:14 EST (US)     58 / 83       
I look forward to the new AI castles. I feel better castles are needed to allow for Small and large castles depending on the map made.

I am the type that will make myself a SIMPLE (no eyecandy) Map just to have that OLD style Lords of the Realm type play with Nice Castles and battles and no mountains etc to get in the way of the FULL castle designs of the AI.

Lord Grant

Doomsword
Earl
posted 02-28-10 14:34 EST (US)     59 / 83       
Working hard on getting this completed. Just reread the whole thread as a refresher. Reworked all the tiny default castles making Great Britain a playable map in the process. Anyone interested in playtesting some new castles make a post or email me.

/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
Ouly
Archer
posted 03-17-10 09:15 EST (US)     60 / 83       
Hail Doomsword! It's been a while since I dropped in to see what was going on. (or played with SH2 for that matter)

I'd love to see and test any new castle designs you've managed to come up with!

Doomsword
Earl
posted 05-01-10 16:52 EST (US)     61 / 83       
More on Oil,

Oil, for those lords that may use it, sometimes works and sometimes does not. Now I have discovered why it sometimes does not, though up to this point it had been an inconsistent mystery.

When the Oil Pot is placed it creates two Engineers, a filler and a carrier. After the first carrier makes it to the Engineers Guild he will go to the Oil Pot and another Carrier (and then a third) will be made. Sometimes these first two Engineers get drafted before the their villager self has left a Hovel, thus dooming them to inactivity until their Hovel is destroyed, releasing them.

Now, how to work around this... I guess just by placing the smelter late, most of the villagers have made it to the campfire and things work smoothly. The Lord needs a source of iron to get the 10 iron needed to build one though.

/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\

[This message has been edited by Doomsword (edited 05-31-2010 @ 09:11 AM).]

Doomsword
Earl
posted 05-18-10 00:27 EST (US)     62 / 83       
The power of the Pig Farm and the problem with royal foods.

Certain Lords make some royal food, others make different foods. When you play a Kingmaker map and start at Freeman, the lowest level, the Lords without a Pig Farm have trouble accumulating enough Honor early in the game to advance enough to build an Armory and Stone Gatehouse before they are subject to invasion, or they just pose no threat or challenge to the player. The problem is that royal food buildings do not rotate, so if you add them in the SHK AI Editor, the game map sometimes forces the design to rotate and it makes a mess of those buildings that aren't supposed to be able to be turned.

Haha, but I've found the solution! You can add Dovecotes in the SHK AI Editor, those birdhouses you can usually only place in the map editor give 1 honor a month and help out the weak lords without a good source of Honor, mainly Seren, the Bishop and Sir Grey, so they can be competitive in a Freeman game.

Getting very close now.

/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
Doomsword
Earl
posted 05-30-10 12:20 EST (US)     63 / 83       
The Bulls Rally Points

He will make 20 Crossbowmen for Ranged points + 5 for the Troop Pool

Here's the messed up part; the Bull uses Spearmen for his Guarding Troops Point, but he doesn't build a Poleturner and sells off Spears. By giving him a Poleturner he slowly will recruit 10 Spearmen for the Guard Points.

I wonder if any other lords have a similar issue.

/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
Doomsword
Earl
posted 06-12-10 08:46 EST (US)     64 / 83       
I've seen Edwin post some Guarding and ranged troops, only once so far though. He posted 10 Spearmen and a whole 3 Archers. :confused:

/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
Doomsword
Earl
posted 07-11-10 11:16 EST (US)     65 / 83       
I have finally consolidated my work and released a pack of 37 new castle files.

AI update

Hope you like them

/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
WL_D Alexus
Archer
posted 07-11-10 11:41 EST (US)     66 / 83       
Great.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it -Voltaire
mati555
Archer
posted 02-07-13 10:58 EST (US)     67 / 83       
Hello!
I' am new user on this forum and I have one question:
Is the possibility to change the number of soldiers AI players?

Sorry, I'm bad at English

Best Regards

[This message has been edited by mati555 (edited 02-14-2016 @ 09:55 AM).]

Josy
Archer
posted 04-01-13 15:02 EST (US)     68 / 83       
Hey, sorry for disturbing but I am desprate atm.
I created my own map in SH 2 delux Kingmaker, I got it working, but I cant get my enemies to attack me.
Somewhere on this forum I saw a topic of it, the person had the same problem but he got it fixed. He had his enemies attack him but he didn't say how.
Can any of you help me?
Doomsword
Earl
posted 04-01-13 18:10 EST (US)     69 / 83       
You're not disturbing, and don't apologize! Other lords will not attack if they don't have a path or an economy or it could be something else, hard to say.

/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
mati555
Archer
posted 02-17-16 08:50 EST (US)     70 / 83       
Hi,
it's possible to change AI Lord economy? It's annoying when some Lord's don't attack, because they can't make army or makes people happy (for example: no food in granary). I have read everything about AI, but I don't see an answer.

Can anyone help me?
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 03-13-16 08:39 EST (US)     71 / 83       
I realize it is pretty late, mati, for this reply, but maybe you could consider playing with the castles by Doomsword. Without those castles the lords have way better economy and they are handling way better on tiny estates.

I myself have also made two new castles for William, or to say it better, I fixed his two original castles. You can read more about that in this tread, though I would keep the talking in this one.

I have fixed the moat placement, so now it doesn't come in way of his towers, and on one of his castles I have added one more round tower with a ballista. I have also added rock tippers and man traps in the area if front of the gate, so it would be harder for an enemy to attack the walls with laddermen. You will be able to download them soon. Here are the images.

Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-13-17 18:39 EST (US)     72 / 83       
Hey, a question: is there a way to make the King and the Hawk to attack? They basically just getting estates and sit on the large amount of troops. I read that Doomsword managed to make the King attack, but despite I giving him space, time and a bunch of estates, he builds up a legion of pikemen and archers, only to have them patrol.

Update: I placed a poleturner workshop to the king's castle which made spears and as a result, he attacked me. However, he seemingly can't make pikemen anymore, I even tried special building option which should logically toggle between the 2 weapon type. Is there a way to change a workshop's weapon production type in the castle editor?

[This message has been edited by Cortez2000 (edited 02-14-2017 @ 10:12 AM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 02-14-17 14:41 EST (US)     73 / 83       
About your first question, have you tried using Doomsword's castles for those two AI lords? I believe it is more about efficiency of their castles, and when it comes to Doomsword's castles - they are really good and efficient even in smaller estates. And in fact, castles like that can be more efficient than those bigger castles even in larger estates than those. I think that's the key to success. I think there is nothing special about those castles but simply being way more efficient (which I don't say is easy to accomplish). They may seem easier to besiege, but still - what is the point in those huge castles when they have bad economy later in game which also results in less troops defending the castle. Plus, even if the number of troops is same, with defending troops being sparse those huge castles are still easier to besiege, and to get to the lord.

I know you didn't look for an answer like "just use Doomsword's castles", and neither my intention was that. I only wanted to point you at those castles as examples of efficient castles and fun to play with. I personally play with Doomsword's castles, and I also have the two William's castles replaced with my versions of them. (I have fixed some really bad vulnerabilities in those castles such as not enclosing castles walls early in the game, and leaving tower doors towards outside, which both were weakening William from attacks by other AI lords, by bandits, and by human players too. Besieging Williams castle with those flaws was never fun.)

As far as I know, there is no way to change what their workshops should produce, but if you make the castle layout in such way that their economy is going to be efficient, AI would make those workshops on their own, and use those workshops the way he would normally use. Only you would need to take care that those workers would have as short routes to stockpile and armory as possible. (And that is accomplished with castles having smaller diameter, and with armory being placed close to gatehouse, or being placed facing outside of the castle. You can see plenty of examples of that in Doomsword's castles - with armories, lords kitchen, etc. facing outside, and this is ingenious in my opinion. It's efficient, and it still doesn't weaken AI lords in any way.)

Another thing which you could do to make it more fun would be to play on maps with larger villages with different purposes. AI lords and human players in Stronghold 2 heavily rely on villages, but while human player can build candler's workshops in other villages, AI lords cannot do that, so you would be helping them a lot if villages on the map weren't those villages of default type.
Cortez2000
Archer
posted 02-14-17 15:08 EST (US)     74 / 83       
I have Doomsword's castles and while it makes AI much more challenging, it still doesn't make the King and the Hawk to start a siege, because both of them lacks spearmen and their single workshop only produces pikes. When I manually added a poleturner to Doomsword's castle designs, they finally started a siege, but now they lack pikemen which makes them little more challenge than Edwin. If they would add pikemen to their assault force and to their garrisons, they would be much tougher than with spearmen only.
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 02-14-17 15:57 EST (US)     75 / 83       
I see. Maybe that is the point with the King and the Hawk. Maybe they are simply supposed to be defensive lords... Which would be on one hand logical with the King being noble. Not completely though, but it's just a guess.

But now when I mentioned villages... Maybe you could make villages on map which would make spears, and hopefully AI lords would transport those spears into their castles. There is a large type of village which produces spears and apples, you can set any village to this type in the map editor.

There are few more weapon producing types of villages, but this one would do.

Oh, and did you try to play with the King by giving him 7,500 gold? Maybe it just takes him too long to collect troops for an attack, and with spearmen he gets enough troops fast. On the other hand, those spears which he would send into attack along with some other troops would be useless, because archers can take them down too easily. So having that in mind, we could say that those attacks with spearmen and few more other troops are actually just a waste of troops for him. But I realize it still makes the game more interesting.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames