You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.57 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » Community interview
Bottom
Topic Subject:Community interview
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Dougleass
Archer
posted 08-08-07 15:24 EST (US)         
This is an interview template, and if you have time and the will, answer them. I thought it could be really fun to see how other people work. lord_yoshi made interviews with some designers, and this time, anyone can answer.
There are only 12 questions, so it won't take much time, and some are optional, because I know certain people doesn't like talking about that.
I might change or add some questions in the future.
Original interview by lord_yoshi that I was inspired by.

1. Let's start with a rather basic question, how did you find your beloved game Stronghold?

2. How much time to you spend making a map, split up in the sections: designing and playtesting?

3. Do you often make extensive research? Or do you start making a map really quite randomly without any plan?

4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For instance the color templates, 2000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them? Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs!

5. What's more important to you, quantity or quality of map(s) and why? (A stupid question to some, for some it's not)

6. If you had to choose what to make, would you create a fun map or a good looking map, and why?

7. How many maps do you submit in a year in average, and how many reviews do you write in a year in average?

8. Whats your favourite type of game to play, and to make? Invasion, Seige, etc? Why?

9. Do you prefer small castles or larger ones, like cities and such?

10. What/who is your favorite
food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

11.(optional) Who's your favorite map designer?

12.(optional) Which map on SH is your favorite map?

Check out Rome, Duomo, Troy, and Ghost.
Also, check out my campaign! First chapter, second, third, fourth, and the fifth chapter.

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 08-15-2007 @ 05:10 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Lord Michael I
Knight
posted 08-15-07 10:33 EST (US)     26 / 57       
Oh goodie. An interview! Let's see...

1. Let's start with a rather basic question, how did you find your beloved game Stronghold?
- I found it after a lot of suffering over at mercadolibre.com, which is a branch of eBay.

2. How much time to you spend making a map, split up in the sections: designing and playtesting?
-I care much more about designing than playtesting. The designing time varies. I once made a map that took me all summer vacations to complete. Other take me a week. Playtesting is more normal. The average is a week of playtesting and polishing.

3. Do you often make extensive research? Or do you start making a map really quite randomly without any plan?
-If the map is historic, I try to find all the info possible. Though normally my maps are of made up stories.

4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For an instance the color templates, 2000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them? Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs!

-Not normally. The only thing I've really exploited is the paved floor trick.

5. What's more important to you, quantity or quality of map(s) and why? (A stupid question to some, for some it's not)
-Quality. You can make millions of maps, and each map taking you a day, even hours to make, no playtesting, nothing. Though, if you make one map, spend hours with it, polish it, make a proper story, etc, it will be much more accepted.

6. If you had to choose what to make, would you create a fun map or a good looking map, and why?

-A fun map. I have downloaded tons of maps that are (Sorry to say this) ugly. But when you play them, you get astounded.

7. How many maps do you submit in a year in average, and how many reviews do you write in a year in average?
-Last year I made... I don't remember... Maybe around 44 reviews I think... And I submitted 5 maps. I am working on a map right now. Though I don't think it'll come out soon.

8. Whats your favourite type of game to play, and to make? Invasion, Seige, etc?

-Invasion.

9. Do you prefer small castles or larger ones, like cities or such?
The best castles I've seen are the working-cities ones. I really love to manage a historic castle, while defending it from enemies.

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

-Bread
-Pikeman
-Pig
-Ale

I can't choose. Luckily for us, SHH is loaded with excellent mapmakers, such as Sulis, WLD, Younghappy, Sir Ravenclaw, ericgolf, Dougleass, Riskyman, Surajsubba, etc. I can't tell.

-This is another thing I don't really know. Rigt now, as some of you know, I am the storywriter of a great campaign, which are turning out to be splendid maps, also, I have downloaded a lot of high-quality maps. I can't choose

My Johari window.
Do you have what it takes to hold off Saladins' forces? Find out here...
"I think most people are trying to forget Aqua... Most people I know still haven't recovered from Barbie Girl" - QuickDraw
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 08-15-07 10:56 EST (US)     27 / 57       
thanks guys

Happy to see YH get a mention it was only a matter of time, he's certainly up in my list as are alot of the designers Lord Michael listed

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
Younghappy
Archer
posted 08-15-07 10:59 EST (US)     28 / 57       
Thanks for the mention.

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins

[This message has been edited by Younghappy (edited 08-15-2007 @ 11:00 AM).]

Dougleass
Archer
posted 08-15-07 11:08 EST (US)     29 / 57       
Wow it's on the news? That's great! It's good to see more replies. If anyone has any more ideas for added questions, then share with the rest of us!

Thanks younghappy and Michael! I've taken alot of inspiration from others, its nice to see that some get atleast some city designing inspiration from me.

Also, check out my campaign! First chapter, second, third, fourth, and the fifth chapter.

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 08-15-2007 @ 05:08 PM).]

Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 08-15-07 12:26 EST (US)     30 / 57       

I spied an air traffic controller playing it at the airport. He wasn't very busy at the time, so he downloaded the demos for me to a flash drive. After playing them at home, I instantly loved the castle building and sought out the games and custom maps.

It takes me about two months to make a satisfiable map. I spend about a month and a half designing and the rest of the month playtesting wherein I add a few things to the map and tweak the events.

It really depends on the map. If I do a historical castle, I do tons of research trying to find pictures of everything to go with two or three ground plans. If I'm just making a map for fun, it is completed randomly.

4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For an instance the color templates, 2000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them? Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs!

So far, all the maps I have submitted have been for Crusader. I haven't used any templates. I normally like to use terrain tools to make the desert more realistic and I almost always have a little eyecandy using water.

At first, I just released whatever maps I had made. Now, I haven't released hardly any. This for two reasons. (1) I haven't made hardly any new ones, and (2) I definitely care about the quality of the maps I release now.

I always want players of my maps to experience a bit of fun or frustration while they play. Making purely eyecandy maps does not appeal to me.

That has decreased a bit. I rarely write reviews and I haven't submitted a map for open downloads for about a year.

8. Whats your favourite type of game to play, and to make? Invasion, Seige, etc?

I really love playing seiges, though I don't like playing the ones that are really tough and require sieging for hours, squar by square.

I'd have to say my favorite maps to make are sieges as well. There isn't any scripting to do (my least favorite thing to do). You design an enemy fortress, add some nasty surprises, allot some troops for the enemy and sieging forces, and playtest.

9. Do you prefer small castles or larger ones, like cities or such?

I really enjoy larger castles like Krak des Chevaliers. Larger castles offer a few more lifelines if you make a mistake while defending them and a larger challenge while you siege them.

However, I also enjoy small castles, but only with a focus more on economy. I like small castles that use natural defences like a large steep hill or a lake--very similar to castles in the Alps.

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

food
It really depends on the game and starting materials.
In SHC and SH1, I tend to use cheap apple farms if there is not an abundance of wood. I use bread if I can find more resources.

In SH2 & SHL, I use applefarms a lot as my primary food source.

unit
Ballistae in SHC and SH2.
Archer in SH1.
White Witches in SHL.

villain?
the rat in SH1 & SHC--his remarks are funny even though he is too easy to beat.
Olaf in SH2
Siegfried in SHL

way to get popularity?
Ale.

I don't have any favorite really, but here's a list of notables who come to mind:

Warlord Designs
Sulis
UnikUnok
lollard (too bad he isn't around anymore )
artomath
Battle Mage Corp
Dougleass

There are also excellent maps made by others as well.

sorry for any misspellings

I've almost always shared a common dream of building a LOTR Helm's Deep map. While I could never get the attacking army to follow the desired siege, I downloaded an excellent map by talos_911 that played out perfectly. I love his "archway" trick too.

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\| Seraph |//--/_____/
\\//\\//

[This message has been edited by Sir Hugh (edited 08-15-2007 @ 12:36 PM).]

Battle Mage corp
Archer
posted 08-15-07 12:54 EST (US)     31 / 57       
Wow thanks for the comment Sir Hugh we are very excited that you think this way in such short time.Comments like that motivate us to give our all for SHH.We are so excited that someone like you has added us to the list out of hundreds other.Really glad to be amongst all of you!!!!!

Thanks mate.
BM corp.

If it's a doze it's a doze, if it's life it's life, the evironment can never be bliss. Author: Luben Karavelov.
Younghappy
Archer
posted 08-15-07 13:00 EST (US)     32 / 57       
You deserve the mention, it's always good to see some new designers arriving, especially very good ones like yourselves...

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
Battle Mage corp
Archer
posted 08-15-07 13:25 EST (US)     33 / 57       
Were very glad you think this way younghappy we can't describe how grateful we are for all the nice comments tips and suggetsions.Hopefuly what we lack in words we will be able to compensate with maps for all to enjoy.Thanks a million YH.

BM corp.

If it's a doze it's a doze, if it's life it's life, the evironment can never be bliss. Author: Luben Karavelov.
Lord Michael I
Knight
posted 08-15-07 13:54 EST (US)     34 / 57       
OMG I knew I was forgetting someone! Sorry I didn't mention you back there BMC, I just forgot it!

Dougleass: You did a great job both on Rome and the community campaign, you had to be mentioned

YH: Also, a crucial part in the campaign, you keep astounding me with your maps...

WLD: In the question where it is asked what is best "quality or quantity", I must say, you own both! You guys have an big collection of maps, and each one of them being high quality ones.
If anyone has any more ideas for added questions, then share!
I don't know... Maybe something like : "Do you make large stories if the map is made up or Essays if it's a historic one?"

My Johari window.
Do you have what it takes to hold off Saladins' forces? Find out here...
"I think most people are trying to forget Aqua... Most people I know still haven't recovered from Barbie Girl" - QuickDraw
Battle Mage corp
Archer
posted 08-15-07 14:06 EST (US)     35 / 57       
No problem Lord Michael I BTW I've also got a question that can be added.

When you are in an invasion map and youre expecting an enemy how do you prepare for the foe.

E.g:I place all the troops outside of the castle to block the army for as long as possible and my archers are firing from a distacne at them.

Don't forget thats just an example

subindxsubin
Archer
posted 08-16-07 12:21 EST (US)     36 / 57       
1. One of my cousins gave it to me as a gift.

2. I spend about a month for designin and 1 week for playtesting.

3. I start with verry small plans.

4. No

5. Quality

6. It depends on my mood.

7. It hasnt been even half an year since i first came to heavengames.

8. Eyecandy and invasion are equal.Eyecandy because it looks good.Invasion because it is fun.

9. I like big ones

10. bread,swordsman,saladin,ale.

11. Why thats ofcourse me myself. If i dont like myself who will.

12. Citadelity.

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master

[This message has been edited by SubindxSubin (edited 08-16-2007 @ 09:49 PM).]

von Schmidt
Archer
posted 08-16-07 15:58 EST (US)     37 / 57       
I bought it at Wal-Mart for $8.77.
It varies... I can design a map in two or three days if I work at it, plus 2-4 more for playtesting if I do it myself. Or I can design on and off for a month, then get playtesting done in a week or more.
I often have a basic plan of what I want the map to be like, and just build around that. I rarely research anything, and I haven't made any historical maps that need research.
4. Do you often use the creative utilities you can download here? For instance the color templates, 2000 stones map, or recently submitted, the 20 to 0 map? And what do you do with them? Do you experiment yourself with the magic eraser? Yes, tell us everything about your eye candy designs!
I'll use the color templates sometimes, but I rarely use any templates. I haven't really tested out the 1000 stones eyecandy, and I really usually don't have any eyecandy at all in my maps. I can't use the magic eraser since I have Crusader and not Stronghold.
Quality.
I don't really know, a fun map's fun, but if it doesn't look good than it really isn't as fun to me. Probably good looking.
I haven't been here long enough to answer that question.
8. Whats your favourite type of game to play, and to make? Invasion, Seige, etc? Why?
Invasion. I like having my castle overrun by hordes of
enemies.
I like making small castles when they're being attack by huge armies, but their defenses are strong enough to hold off an attack with a little skill. Large castles are fun when you a small force and have to defeat a much larger one, and use your defenses wisely.
food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?
Bread, pikemen, the Snake, and ale.
I don't know, there are a lot of good designers I like.
Reckless Hate Chapter One by the Dragonheart.

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES GUILLOTINE

YAH
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 08-23-07 09:01 EST (US)     38 / 57       
I might as well comment and add to this discussion! Apologies if I duplicate any part of Lord Yoshi's original thread, or maybe slightly change some of the answers with this survey...

By sheer accident! I've always been a Citybuilder at heart, so got caught up with Pharaoh, Zeus and the like a few years previously. I remember browsing in a shop just in case I found something else woth playing when I spotted SH1 peering out from behind Age of Empires. I'm a huge medieval history buff, so the thought of combining what could potentially be a medieval-building-type-game with my interests was too much to resist!

This has changed considerably over the years I have been designing, which in itself is sporadic at best. At the moment, as you would expect, I try to produce the very best scenarios that my limited skills allow, so designing can take a couple of months or even more, followed by extensive and intense playtesting of up to, shall we say, a month. Time is a crucial factor in determining what I can design and when, a result of having to juggle a very busy job, studies and a social life.

I usually have an idea or five floating around, and occasionally the initial research I do triggers something that metamorphosises into intensive research, which then formulates into a scenario, or group of scenarios. I've tried to design maps with no plan, direction or goal and it just doesn't work for me.

I have used the utilities in the past, such as the colour templates or the cede event templates. Anything I don't have the capability to do myself I use from other sources. If i'm able to do, say, the 2,000 stone trick, then I will, rather than use templates.

The use of these templates is usually decided on when researching an idea for a map, i.e. 'will this work or not?' questioning. I've never experienced with the Magic Eraser, although I plan to, in a subtle way, with a couple of scenarios i've got in the pipeline. Personally, i've tried to move away from excessive use of eye candy and nowadays much prefer a gentle approach to scenario design.

Quality. I think that after reviewing some 170 or 180 maps (I forget now) for Stronghold 1 I can safely say that I can appreciate the scenario that has been made with tender, loving care compared with a scenario that is rushed. However, we all have to start designing somewhere...

If I couldn't have a balance between the two, then.. a fun map. Good looking maps are all well and good, you get an instant hit from them, ogling the design talents of the author and wishing you had thought up the idea. Then the scenario opens and you can be left sorely disappointed. A fun map may be a little crude visually, but at least you have a scenario to play, which is what I thought the whole idea of the game was about?!

I used to submit something like ten a year at one point, rattling up 80 or so reviews. Times change, and whilst I still enjoy reviewing and map design, i'm now limited to a couple of maps a year, maybe, and a handful of reviews. Who knows, maybe i'll have more time to review more work? As for future designs... aside from a few planned scenarios, which may or may not happen, I don't know.

To play, and make: economic. it used to be invasions, but i'm looking for something different from the game now and economic scenarios are very underrepresented at SHH. My favourite maps to play have been economic scenarios because I get far more enjoyment from micro-management than I do with huge armies. Invasions are fine, but I do prefer smaller skirmishes than all-out warfare. Tactics are good, throwing bodies at something bores me. Maybe i'm just getting old...

Small castles, ideally. Or small settlements. Again, i've done large castles when experimenting with lowered walls, stone topped palisade walls, etc. Why focus your entire defence behind stone walls when you have the whole map available to you?

10. What/who is your favorite:
food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

Food: meat. Not easy to run a large economy, but seems a far more accurate representation than the other farm units available.

Unit: Either the archer or the spearman. Personal preference to a time before steel armour, maybe?

Villan: The Snake. There are more historical accuracies with this character than the others, and again i'm unfluenced by my own interests and studies.

Way to get popularity: Ale.

I can't comment. Certainly not me! There have been, and still are several people who I truly regard as a master of the game. We have lost some marvellous designers over the years for a variety of reasons.

As above I can't comment. There are many maps I have thoroughly enjoyed playing. A very small and select handful stand out for me as the best of the very best, but will remain undisclosed.

[This message has been edited by Sulis (edited 08-23-2007 @ 09:02 AM).]

Synyster
Archer
posted 02-12-08 17:53 EST (US)     39 / 57       
Last copy they had at GameStop in the mall.

Designing- weeks, months, however long it takes to make it good. Playtesting- again, however long it takes to make it like I want it. Normally I get others to playtest it too.

I normally find inspiration in books, videogames, history class, etc. Extensive research? Only if possible. Sometimes an idea for a map will snowball and come out pretty decent.

Mmmmm, not really. I plan on using the color template soon, and I made my own 2k stone map before I realized I could download one.

Quality, by far. I'd rather have one gem of a map that I'm really proud of than four that I'm not very fond of. Which is actually a situation I've been in. My Northern Isles map and Ar-Feiniel map... I wish I could take them back and rework them, but alas, the computer crashed.

Jeez...hmmm... Thats hard. I'd say fun. I'm a fun guy. If it's possible, fun and good looking would win.

Honestly, I don't know.

Depends on if it's fun or not. I kinda like invasions more, i think i have more freedom in them.

In crusader, I always make smaller castles, but larger ones are sometimes fun to build.

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?
Food- apples. Unit- Pikemen or Assassin. Villain- Wolf or Saladin

Jeez. Hard to pick. WLD, dougleass, subindxsubin... I can go on and on.

Again, hard to pick. I really like Ithelas Challenge in the Saviour of Leguim campaign. Dougleass's Ghost is pretty cool too. But out of all these amazing maps its hard to pick.

"Curiosity will not cause us to die- only lack of it will.
Never to want to see the other side of the hill,
or that improbable country beyond where living is idyll, would kill us.
Only the curious have, if they live, a tale to tell." - Alastair Reid

Trouble in Paradise - St. Peter's Basilica -
The Flooded Lands - Ghost Town

[This message has been edited by Synyster (edited 02-12-2008 @ 05:54 PM).]

Lord Tanthos
Archer
posted 02-12-08 22:54 EST (US)     40 / 57       

My dad bought it, knowing my intense love for castles, and played it for a few hours. While watching him play I instantly fell in love with it, figuratively drooling as I watched the incredible realism of castle life come to "life".

I, to be quite honest, spend a lot more time designing than playtesting. I cannot playtest for long, so I instead run educated guesses and mathematical equations to balance the map by experience.
My small maps usually take me about one to three days, but I spend a lot of time brushing them up afterward.
My large maps tend to take me somewhere from three days to a week. However, I did spend about three weeks designing "Dietrich, A Married Man" which was a very extensive project!

I actually begin my maps with a little dream, concept, or trick in mind for the map to add a new dimension to the game. After that, I put them into practice and build the rest of the map around that. This is noted by my Legends siege maps, my Stronghold 1: Mossflower series where I used several tricks, and my other Legends map "Dietrich, A Married Man" in which I implemented numerous scripting tricks, including the first map with customized messages and voice clips for Stronghold: Legends. My head wanted to fall off after all the work I did on that map!

I actually don't use the templates very often. The cede template is about it.
I'm also not a big fan of the magic eraser, as it tends to cause more problems than it solves, so to speak. I only use it for very special and small purposes such as the massive towers in "Assault on Castle Kotir".

Quality and quantity should balance in my opinion. More maps early on allow for a designer to more effectively learn where his weak points and his strong points are. However, quality should eventually win out.

Hmm...
That's hard. Fun maps are good, but ugliness tends to ruin the fun a bit for me. On the other hand, a beautiful map is ruined by the boredom. I suppose that's why I like the original campaign maps so much. They're designed with a nice balance.
Ultimately I'd say that a good looking map is better, because you can make it a freebuild and then make a huge castle only to have it assaulted by a hopelessly large enemy army!

Whew...well...I suppose it's probably about:
Maps: 12
Reviews: 24

Siege for sure! A good, difficult siege map with a constant need for attention and multitasking is very enjoyable to both play and create. I like short 'n' sweet maps. I never have been fond of 2 hours or more length in a single mission.

Small, for sure. I hate it when a massive city that I know nothing about is suddenly thrust upon me to defend, upgrade, or attack!

food: meat! I love watching hunters stalk and catch their prey. Plus, it makes me nostalgic of mission 1!

unit: Macemen. Nothing will make your day more exciting than watching 200 macemen pound their way through a horde of swordsmen! That lovely *CLANK* *BONK* *ARGH!* sound, multiplied over many times, is simply adorable!

villain: the Snake. He's the epitome of a villain. He's a genius, charismatic, and yet cowardly, arrogant and selfish.

way to get popularity: Religion. The beautiful cathedrals of the Middle Ages are quite impressive. It's a great way for the rich lords to gain popularity in Stronghold as well!

Sulis for the original Stronghold. Merely due to his campaign he released awhile ago, most specifically the mission where you have to defend a keep with nothing more than boiling oil and some archers. I loved that one.

For Legends I must waver between sir tarritt and SirWhiteWolf. Both are talented designers with excellent works.

That's a really, really hard question. Probably the Lady of the Rose by WarLord_Designs. The landscape is incredibly beautiful, and there lie the ruins of a massive stronghold, littered with dead soldiers bearing the Wolf's colors. My own little creation with the F1 key, of course.

Known elsewhere as Planewalker.
Steve_1805
Archer
posted 07-09-08 20:51 EST (US)     41 / 57       

Erm... I think I bought it at Gamestation like 5 years ago?

Normally about 1 week?

I do them randomly, I do some planning but, it never works! >.<

Nope.

Quality, I try to make my maps as best as I can! x]

Good looking, I dunno, I just like them!

I've submitted 2 so far! But wanna submit more in the future.

Invasion, because there are more colours available and such.

I like cities, like the Andora one, that's a beautiful looking city.

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?

Bread, Archer, The snake, and use good things to bribe my people.

WarLord_designs, Unik_Unok (I think.), Dougleass, Fintrollx, erm... I think that's all I can remember.

Erm... I like them all mostly, I love Mountain Fist, Minas Tirith's, Helm's deeps, and anything by Warlord_designs.

x]x]
RhOdZi
Archer
posted 07-10-08 15:13 EST (US)     42 / 57       
1.When i went to my freinds house he said he had a new good game and that game happend to be stronghold,And i loved the game so i had to get it myself

2.Depends on size of map but i spend alot of time a day playing making,and depending how long i have made the game invasions wise i spend alot of time becasue if you have a mistake in invasions and your near the end you have to go to the editor and change it and make sure it is correct.

3.Sometimes i have a great idea in my head then i add to my ideas and picture how the minimap would look in my head and the deseign sometimes i tresearch but have no good luck with pictures and such

4.Well i have not have not subbmitted many but at the moment i want gameplay to be fun but i also try to make everything look good and be good i mainly look at gameplay.But i think in my futre maps i want to look at how good my minimaps look and such.

5.Quality

6.Both mainly fun though well what would you want a good looking boring map or a quite good looking map which is fun,I personally would like it to be fun more but it is just as important to make it look good as be good.

7.well so far i have subbmitted 3 and thats is witin a few
weeks i have not subbmitted maps for a year yet so i will have to answer in the future and i hope to keep my maps coming.

8.Invasion it is a chance to build a castle build up ypur defneces and fight and add alot of fun to a map

9.Large castle which looks good becasue they are harder to defend with troops getting in at that small gap.But with a small castle you can look around easily and managing your defences.

10.Food:meat fun to watch the hunters,And appels so easy to get.

Unit:Macemen,Quik resnoble defence and good attack and fast,Archers Because they are the ultimat defense unit for castles.

Villan:The Pig sellfishand evil cool and mean by killing lord "WOOLSOCh" hahaha

Populatrity:Eithet have alot of money by selling iron and such then giving it away or get a good food productiona dn more food.

11.Duke Of York such a great deseigner from the begging,And Fritrollx for improving a large amount .Especially Warlord Deseigns cant forget them they have got to be my favaorite fantastic great gameplay and greatr looks to maps.

12.I am Not shure but maps which are on maps like the "Forgotten World" that is agreat map an island map with a great look with a dinosour as the island.

Thnaks RhOdZi

Happy Gaming

[This message has been edited by RhOdZi (edited 07-10-2008 @ 03:16 PM).]

lord_from_above
Archer
posted 07-13-08 23:43 EST (US)     43 / 57       

well my friend had it before me and i played it at his place and liked it. i borrowed it from him installed it and futre shop removed it when they fixed my comp up, so i borrowed and installed again.

desigining: depends on the size and qaulity of the map. at least 1-2 days. if it is more detailed or has higher qaulity, 3-5 days.

i do them randomly but it usually comes to me from something i seen or heard of in real life.

uh nope i don't. i do make the floaty drawbridge sometimes. or i shrink the walls using the stones.

quality. if it dosn't have alot of quality it isn't no good. dosn't matter on the qauntity.

well a fun map. what good is a good looking map when it's boring? it's like a teacher or something. they are boring unless they are fun.you know what i'm saying?

i havn't even been here for a year! so far i only got 2 maps out i'm planning on sending the last few maps i made.

seige/invasion. they are fun because you need to lay your soilders tacticly and make sure that your defenses are flawless.

well small ones are easy to defend but larger ones you get more resources and such. i'd have to say large ones because i can sell the resources and make more forces at a time.

food? apples!
unit? crossbowmen
villain? uuhh wha? frederick
way to get popularity? religion/ale!
Dougleass
Archer
posted 07-25-08 17:51 EST (US)     44 / 57       
I always like coming back to Stronghold Heaven, even though I don't do maps anymore. Lots of fond memories, and I think it's awesome that people still do this. And I appreciate the mentions btw.

The King Of Halo
Archer
posted 12-24-08 16:53 EST (US)     45 / 57       
The clearence rack at target i expected little and a small and mean comunity but i was wrong!

The fastest was about 3-5 minutes the longest is about 5 days

random it gives you a empty template for your immagination

not really but i have a tendacy to make boats massive roads with lowered walls make wood walkways and fountains all the more reasons my latest map is killing hours

quality making 1 amazingly amazing map is better then making 100 crappy maps

Im not shure probbably a mix I like having fun but i hate maps that look unatural

So far i just submitted for the first time but im planning on submmititting a ton more

Economic it gives you time to make amazing castles and pillage em with a custom invasion from the F1 trick

Larger more space for eyecandy even though i hate making all that eyecandy to bing with

food?
unit?
villain?
way to get popularity?
Meat and bread meat is easy to make and bread well i dunno i just like makin bread
Pikeman fast,powerful,diggers,defensive, and cool lookin
Wolf i enjoy destroyin his castles makin him mad and his armor
Fear factor im such a good guy!

Sulius Azventureas or however you spell it hitman or warlord design

Not downloadable grassland
Dowloadable the ourea

Shoot if you want to but think of what will happen when you freindly fire

[This message has been edited by The King Of Halo (edited 12-24-2008 @ 04:56 PM).]

Lord Gandor
Archer
posted 01-11-09 00:43 EST (US)     46 / 57       
Got nostalgic and thought I'd pop in. I'll see if I remember half these things.

Wal-mart. Maximum Strategy edition, came with Tropico. Looked pretty on the shelf.

Few weeks for design as I recall. Just after school till I was happy, a few late nights while I wasn't.

Random all the way, baby.

2000 stone trick is a solid yes. The magic eraser sounds familiar, and I have no idea what the 20 to 0 thing is. XD

Quality, easily. I never released many maps (though more than a few just sat saved away on my old comp)

Good looking? I was never a fan of playing them. =D

I agree with WL-D, looks ARE everything.

Recently? Zero...ish. and by ish I mean an emphatic 0.

Invasion to make, they're nice and flexible with objectives. Defending in siege to play, however.

Small. Natural. Isolated. Middle of the woods, village in the valley kind of thing.

food? Mmm, cheese.
unit? Pikeman have always looked a little too pretty for me.
villain? None especially.
way to get popularity? Ale. Get them hammered enough to forget my nasty taxes.

WL-D or Sulis. You've both given my countless hours of joy. Countless because I've forgotten them. XD

Carreg Cennen, hands down. That Sylvendell Part 5 was rather awesome too.

L_G

Winter is coming. Stark words, Game of Thrones
Mr. Christie, you make goooooood cookies!
Sticks and stone will break my bones, BUT MY SWORD WILL HURT YOU MORE!
WL_D Arthus
Master Illuminator
posted 01-11-09 03:34 EST (US)     47 / 57       
Thanks for the mention

We made Carreg Cennen for a comp we didn't win, can't help but think the results were rigged when the winning map didn't even work...Judges these days...

[This message has been edited by WL_D Arthus (edited 01-11-2009 @ 04:16 AM).]

Dougleass
Archer
posted 01-27-09 15:32 EST (US)     48 / 57       
You deserve it, and more WL_D.

Like I said a couple of months ago I think it's cool people still answer this interview. But I just realized how bad it is, lol. I could have done the questions so much better...

I read all of these, though. Just so you guys know, and I think it's interesting

[This message has been edited by Dougleass (edited 01-27-2009 @ 03:34 PM).]

Adam the First
Archer
posted 11-21-10 11:31 EST (US)     49 / 57       
I found this old topic here, and I saw that there were no replies in the past years, so I've decided to answer the questions.

In the school's library I saw some graduates playing Crusader and I tried out the game too, after a year I got bored with that, and I aquiered Stronghold, as I saw some interesting pictures and minimaps on this site while searching for the crusader map tools. And after 1 year of playing I fell in love with the map editor.

2. How much time do you spend making a map, split up in the sections: designing and playtesting?
Good question, as I'm making maps only for 6 monthes, but I like to play a lot with the editor and try out all the tricks and possibilites, and as my skills improve I always redesign my maps too. I want to make awesome maps to entertain all the downloaders, but not just to guarentee fun for them, I want to entertain their eyes too, so I always aim to make an outstanding scenario by doing my best. Currently I have 5 maps in progress, I'm working o them since June.

As I'm making only fantasy maps I never do any researches, but I always have a plan in my mind, usually I plan everything under the shower or before I fall asleep in the bed.

My favourite and only template I always use is the Clear-no-bump template by Dougleass. My favourite tricks are the lowered wall trick, the snow trick, and the magic eraser, those are really cool-looking and simple to use. I'm also trying the reinforcement/rohirrim trick, that is a cool one too.

Of course quality. I hate bad-looking/plain maps. Every designers, who want others to take them seriously should spend a lot of time with map-making.

I can't answer this question, as only the fun and good-looking maps entertain me. And as I enjoy only these kinds of map, I always try to make both good-looking and fun maps.

I don't know. As I mentioned I'm making maps only for 6 monthes and I've submitted only 1 serious map (and a multiplayer and crusader eye-candy map, but they are not so good). As for reviews, I like to tell my experiences and opinion about a map I played and there's also a great lack of reviews, so if I have time I rate as many scenarios as I can, and again I don't know my year average, but I plan to write at least 100 reviews in 2011.

Eco-vasions! I like to collect goods and gold, while facing hordes of the wolf's black armies.

I prefer both, however small castles are much easier to defend.

food? Bread, I always build a lot of bakeries, farms and mills.
unit? Knights - they are very fast and powerful.
villain? The Wolf, I don't know why.
way to get popularity? Placing lots of good things or give away money if I have a lot, but mostly the ale does its job.

There are many awesome designers at SHH, but I think the best map-makers are Sulis, Lord Ako, WL_D, ericgolf, Duke of York, Younghappy, Dougleass, Arn_Afe, Peter2008, Fintrollx, Sir Ravenclaw,(and I could write here some more names). I like their maps the best.

Scourge of Darkness Ch I by WL_D and the Secrets of Sylvandell Ch 5 by Sulis. Those are the best maps I have ever played.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." ~ Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Adam the First (edited 02-27-2011 @ 12:01 PM).]

Lord_of_Hell
HG News Director
posted 12-07-10 17:07 EST (US)     50 / 57       
- My father bought it to me as a birthday gift, like 4-5 years ago or so.

- Designing can take up to two or three months if neccessary but most of them are done in one month. Playtesting usually requies 2 weeks.

- I always have a plan or at least a basic idea of what I seek to create in the scenario.

- I don't really use templates, the only one used so far was cede-scenario for Crusader.

- Quality of course, but why not sometimes a fun map to chill from the intensive designing?

- Depends on my mood. If I'm bored like hell I'd certainly create a fun map but a good looking map is mostly my choice.

- A couple of maps, a couple of reviews, don't really know their number

- Sieges are my favorites because of the "double-fun" avaiable - playing as an attacker or as a defender

- Regardless of their size, historical castles are my favories

food? - BREAD
unit? - hard to choose, but let's say Knights (for SHC i'd choose the assassin)
villain? - Wolf SH1/ Saladin SHC
way to get popularity? - Inns

- There are plenty of talented designers but WL_D (both) are certainly at the top of list.

- Helms Deep recreation by WL_D, Secrets of Sylvandell by Sulis and Lauchheim by Peter2008 & Fintrollx

-\\__∴__//-
\\_//
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames