You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Sword and Buckler Inn
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.32 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Sword and Buckler Inn » Ah... the memories. Haven't been on here for many years.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Ah... the memories. Haven't been on here for many years.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Dougleass
Archer
posted 11-19-14 11:23 EST (US)         
Hello folks. Are there still people around in these echoing halls? :P

I used to be really involved in this community, I made tons of maps. Look at my signature for a couple of them. (images are all gone though)
I even won a competition, which was fun. Stronghold is one of those few games that really consumed my life for a while, and I loved every second of it. :P

Anyways, for some reason I decided to look around here and I got really nostalgic. I loved the community.

Is there anyone around who still remembers little old me?

Check out Rome, Duomo, Troy, and Ghost.
Also, check out my campaign! First chapter, second, third, fourth, and the fifth chapter.
AuthorReplies:
Nigel
Archer
posted 11-19-14 13:45 EST (US)     1 / 32       
Dougleass...

That name rings a bell.
I don't know if you remember me - I don't think we had many direct conversations in the good old days - but I certainly still have some of your maps sitting on my old PC.

Wellcome back - and maybe you want to stay a while to chat of old times and new adventures.

Nigel
Duke Chris
Archer
posted 11-19-14 14:45 EST (US)     2 / 32       
Welcome back, Dougleass!

My Stronghold fansite: http://www.strongholdnation.co.uk
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 11-19-14 15:58 EST (US)     3 / 32       
I came here in April 2011, so it is less likely that we met before, but here's the chance.

Welcome back, I hope we shall see you around! These old halls are not that much echoing and empty as it seems.
Dougleass
Archer
posted 11-20-14 15:58 EST (US)     4 / 32       
Hey there guys! Yeah I don't think I recognize you. It was a while since I was on the site though. :P
Nigel I see that you've been here since 2001. I'm a bit ashamed that I don't recognize your name... But I'm glad to hear you might have some of my old maps on your PC. To be honest, I don't even have my old maps on my PC.

Also, check out my campaign! First chapter, second, third, fourth, and the fifth chapter.
Strife
Archer
posted 11-21-14 00:40 EST (US)     5 / 32       
Welcome back, Dougleass! I definitely remember having quite a few of your maps on my old PC. They were some of the ones that made me want to make my own.
ericgolf
Earl
posted 11-21-14 16:06 EST (US)     6 / 32       
Hey Dougleass! Great to see you!

Great to see one of the great map makers back here

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Lugm Campaign Contribute a Review
Timballisto
Archer
posted 11-21-14 17:29 EST (US)     7 / 32       
Remember you? Of course I do! I'm still here derping around. Good to hear from you again.

-DOOMBRINGER-
"DOOMBRINGER, make a parking space IMMEDIATELY!"
"DOOMBRINGER declares it to be SO!"
"DOOMBRINGER, I command you to lay siege to THE ISS!"
surajsubba
Archer
posted 11-23-14 01:40 EST (US)     8 / 32       
Welcome back Dougleass

Who could forget one of the best mapmakers of SHH?
Glad to see you again. How have you been?

'.___________'-._______________.-'__________.'
.--.________.-~"^'~-.____'~-.-~+=≡↵-._◊◊_.-↵≡=+~-.-~'____.-~'^"~-.________.--.
.-________'.__'.____.-~"'_________"'~-._..-~+=↵≡+-.._◊Ĭ◊_..-+≡↵=+~-.._.-~'"_________"'~-.____.'__.'________-.
'._.-'^'-._ __'-._.-~"_"'~.-=◊↵Dark Water.wip↵=~-._◊_.-~=↵Skirmish Masters↵◊=-.~'"_"~-._.-'___.-'^'-._.'
Dougleass
Archer
posted 11-23-14 14:24 EST (US)     9 / 32       
Oh my god, you guys are still around! Hey guys! How are you doing? I've been doing good, I've actually made a game of my own since I left. It's nothing like Stronghold though, I kind of miss making Stronghold maps. :P

Are you guys still making your own maps?

Timballisto
Archer
posted 11-23-14 22:59 EST (US)     10 / 32       
Doing pretty good. A lot has changed since, um...a long time ago xD. Out of college for about a year and a half, with a job. As for making maps, yes, now and then. Most recently I made a Robin Hood map, updating it is something I have in my backlog of to-do's. There's a competition I just made a map for. I have one map in progress, but it's on hold for other things that I need to take care of.

It'd be cool to see what this game is .

-DOOMBRINGER-
surajsubba
Archer
posted 11-24-14 07:54 EST (US)     11 / 32       
Well, i did work on a few maps but decided to quit in the middle of it. Probably because i lost the files

Have you thought about a making a new one?

'.___________'-._______________.-'__________.'
.--.________.-~"^'~-.____'~-.-~+=≡↵-._◊◊_.-↵≡=+~-.-~'____.-~'^"~-.________.--.
.-________'.__'.____.-~"'_________"'~-._..-~+=↵≡+-.._◊Ĭ◊_..-+≡↵=+~-.._.-~'"_________"'~-.____.'__.'________-.
'._.-'^'-._ __'-._.-~"_"'~.-=◊↵Dark Water.wip↵=~-._◊_.-~=↵Skirmish Masters↵◊=-.~'"_"~-._.-'___.-'^'-._.'
Lady Arcola
SHH Seraph
posted 11-26-14 08:19 EST (US)     12 / 32       
Its really nice to see you back Dougleass, and also really nice to see everyone else pop in to welcome you back.

Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

~ BFME2 Heaven | Stronghold Heaven | Stronghold 2 Heaven~
Dougleass
Archer
posted 11-27-14 10:56 EST (US)     13 / 32       
It's good to be back, Arcola.
Yeah it's been a while, Timballisto. xD What kind of job do you have? (payed Stronghold mapmaker, perhaps?)
The Robin Hood map sounds interesting, I'll check it out later.
The game I made is an RPG, you can see it here http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/647411

That's too bad, Surajsubba! I guess you can always start over and maybe make it even better the second time around.
Nah, I haven't really thought of making one myself. I'm all out of ideas.

Nigel
Archer
posted 12-03-14 15:44 EST (US)     14 / 32       
It's quite a reunion here - great :-D

Don't worry if you don't remember me, Dougleass. I never was a very active poster here at the Sword and Buckler Inn. More like an occasional guest.

Back in the old days, I resided mainly at the Sword and Pistol Tavern (Lord Tigger's place) and later at the Dancing Bear Inn (Stronghold Knights). Both of them, unfortunately, are not standing anymore.

Did you guys know, by the way, that FireFly memorized those great fansites in their game Stronghold Legends? The 3 inns that belong to the 3 factions, are named "Sword and Pistol Tavern", "Dancing Bear Inn" and "Sword and Buckler Inn". YOu can see that after you build the inn and then select it to bring up the building properties.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 12-03-2014 @ 03:47 PM).]

Timballisto
Archer
posted 12-03-14 22:19 EST (US)     15 / 32       
Nope. Didn't know that. That's...Really awesome.

If I could take a job as a mapmaker I think I would. What I'm doing instead is writing code for people...Sometimes I term it "punching code in the face" when I'm ripping existing code to shreds and rewriting it so it makes some sense ; ) . There is a lot of bad code in the world.

-DOOMBRINGER-
EaglePrince
Archer
posted 12-04-14 02:32 EST (US)     16 / 32       
Did you guys know, by the way, that FireFly memorized those great fansites in their game Stronghold Legends? The 3 inns that belong to the 3 factions, are named "Sword and Pistol Tavern", "Dancing Bear Inn" and "Sword and Buckler Inn". YOu can see that after you build the inn and then select it to bring up the building properties.
I wasn't aware of that, but that's really great to here!
subinmanaladil
Archer
posted 04-20-15 04:18 EST (US)     17 / 32       
Hey guys!!! I definitely remember you douglass!!!! You may remember me as subindxsubin

I came on this site just for memories and its pure nostalgia. This was such a great community!!!!

The timestamps make me realise how long it has been. Even my old maps are still on this website.

I still remember faces like warlord designs, douglass, eric gold, lady arcola, surajsubha.

Reading my old posts make me laugh, the english is just terrible.

Nostalgia, pure nostalgiaa. Love the feeling I get when am here

For some reason my old account is banned, so I made this account just so I could talk with you guys again

I hope I get emails when there is a reply.

[This message has been edited by subinmanaladil (edited 04-20-2015 @ 04:20 AM).]

EaglePrince
Archer
posted 04-20-15 07:25 EST (US)     18 / 32       
Unfortunately, there is no email notification system at Stronghold Heaven, but for us that is not issue. SHH has been within my bookmarks for a long time, and that is not going to change soon. I just hit Stronghold folder at favorites bar, and I visit my favorite communities.
Doomsword
Earl
posted 04-22-15 20:41 EST (US)     19 / 32       
For some reason my old account is banned, so I made this account just so I could talk with you guys again
Welcome back, you were always quite the cheerleader for the community. I sent an email about unbanning subindxsubin in case you stop by again

/\.........................../\
/..\_______________/..\
/..Angel Doomsword.\
/_/./././|||||||||||||\.\.\.\_\
/_/./_/{||||||||||}\_\.\_\
/_/......X..|||..X......\_\
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 04-27-15 06:00 EST (US)     20 / 32       
I still remember faces like warlord designs, douglass, eric gold, lady arcola, surajsubha.
Long time between chats Subin, how are you?

Best community I have ever been a part of, I logged a scary amount of hours (days, weeks) here as a kid.
I'm 27 now, how did that happen?

I met and a lot of great people here, Jay, Gill, Sulis, NAT, Duke of york, BSR, Ako, current (active?) mods, and I could go on forever listing a ton for every year that went by.

I will never forget the good years this site had, nor will I forget emails I had with some people that frequent this site (even though I'm sure they have). Pretty amazing how a little forum managed to connect so many genuinely great people.

All we need now is for FF to start innovating again instead of banking on the past success they had in the early 2000s.

We need another 2D game and they need to rehire the artists that made that game as magic as it was.

Roman (WLD_Arthus)

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 04-27-2015 @ 06:01 AM).]

Captain Diablo
Archer
posted 02-01-18 15:56 EST (US)     21 / 32       
Man, going through this thread dredged up a lot of memories.

I made my first map in 2005. That was THIRTEEN years ago. I was, like, 12 years old. Jeesh.

I tend to pop into the forums every so often just for the pure nostalgia. Good times!

"It was a fine cry, but it had no bottom and it had no top, just circles and circles of sorrow."
JRodo
Archer
posted 10-01-18 23:25 EST (US)     22 / 32       
Hi Dougleass, this is a long shot, since there is no mail notification and I am writing four years later.
I was looking for a place in the forum where I could meet somebody who is still interested in SH HD, especially the 300 bundle. I know that this is highly unlikely, but the world is big enough.
Seeing all the veterans' entries here, whom I know as designers or reviewers or both, I could not help placing a comment. I played all your maps guys and always send a thank you mail when the address is available. Sometimes it works and it is rewarding. So here's another chance to say thank you for all those hours of fun.
Can someone please direct me to the proper thread? It would be nice to share thoughts about the good old SH HD maps.
Best Regards
jrodo7755@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by JRodo (edited 05-23-2019 @ 10:15 PM).]

Dougleass
Archer
posted 11-16-18 06:55 EST (US)     23 / 32       
4 years later, why not keep this thing going? haha
Once again I was thinking about Stronghold Heaven, decided to drop by.

I don't know if anyone will ever see this. But it was great to see so many old veterans of SH leave a reply. I love you all! You were all part of my teenage years and you helped make this community great.

Hey Captain Diablo! I also uploaded my first map 2005, I was 14 at the time! Yeah, 13 years ago... times flies. I'm 28 now. My brother (twin) told me recently he started playing Stronghold again and still enjoys it. It truly is a timeless game!

If you see this JRodo, I'm glad you still play the game and enjoyed our maps! You don't have to send a thank you email, I should thank YOU for playing.
I have to say though... when I look back at some of my maps and especially my old comments on this site, I just cringe haha!
But you know what, I think I'm going to install Stronghold and try some of my maps again. And WD's Minas Tirith map, that one always blew me away.

Goodbye for now!

PCDania
Archer
(id: PCD)
posted 11-16-18 12:02 EST (US)     24 / 32       
Hi Dougleass, nice seing you drop by

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
Strife
Archer
posted 11-19-18 19:36 EST (US)     25 / 32       
I found that my laptop can still run the disc version of the game, so I played around for a bit and started map editing again. But it's been sitting like this for a looooong time now.

The cringe is real when I wind up reading any comments or ANY of the stories I made when I was a kid lolol
I'll find myself sometimes playing old maps maybe once every 3 or 4 months. But without the old SH crowd - and even when I joined, most of you guys left or were on the verge of leaving - I haven't had a real interest in the map-making aspect of the game for more than 5 minutes anymore.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames