You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Sword and Buckler Inn
Moderated by Lady Arcola

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Stronghold 2 » Forums » The Sword and Buckler Inn » THE DUTY - An Easter Story - Comment Thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:THE DUTY - An Easter Story - Comment Thread
Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 04-14-03 15:12 EST (US)         
COMMENT THREAD FOR "THE DUTY"
A SHORT STORY OF EASTER

Please feel free to post your comments about this story in this thread. Critical or complementary, all comments are welcome.

Here is your link to the story thread: THE DUTY - A Short Story

[This message has been edited by Civis Romanus (edited 03-22-2004 @ 07:35 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Jayhawk
Eminence Grise
posted 04-15-03 09:26 EST (US)     1 / 18       
Intriguing, Civis.
Oh, 6'4" is tall enough

I've just remembered a myth I read long ago, explaining robins and swallow have these red breasts because they stained them with Jesus blood trying to break the thorns on his crown, while sparrows feasted on the drops spille don the dirt below the cross, leaving them all tans and browns.

Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 04-15-03 11:28 EST (US)     2 / 18       
Six foot plus four inches it is. I couldn't remember which it was: 6ft 4in or 6ft 7in. Gave you the benefit of the doubt. Will edit the text for accuracy.

I vaguely remember the robin legend. I cannot remember when I heard it, but it was long ago in human years. Thanks for recalling it for me, I just might use it in the story.

tedman333
Archer
posted 04-15-03 11:53 EST (US)     3 / 18       
I have heard the same thing Jay, where it sayed they stain the breast of the robin with the blood from the crown of thorns that Jesus wore.

<><><><>Knight of the Old Code<><><><>
Winner of:The Kindest Forumer At AoMH.Thanks Lost_1n_Space!
Also I have been bestowed with the honor of:
The Kindest Crusader Award
Thank you Lady Arcola!

Stronghold Knights
Earl Listibald
Archer
posted 04-15-03 20:01 EST (US)     4 / 18       
Civis, nice story.
Just wanted to say hi!
Lady Arcola
SHH Seraph
posted 04-16-03 00:38 EST (US)     5 / 18       
You have wonderful gift Civis Romanus, the ability to hold the reader in a state of wonder.
I always enjoy your stories.
Lady A

Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

~ BFME2 Heaven | Stronghold Heaven | Stronghold 2 Heaven~
Jayhawk
Eminence Grise
posted 04-16-03 02:32 EST (US)     6 / 18       
One more minor niggle, Civis, AFAIK it's centurion not centurian.
Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 04-16-03 15:24 EST (US)     7 / 18       

Quoted from Jayhawk:

One more minor niggle, Civis, AFAIK it's centurion not centurian.

You're right! How could I have done that? I bet if I were writing this thing in my old C3H haunt I wouldn't have made that mistake.

I think I found all of them. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jayhawk
Eminence Grise
posted 04-16-03 15:59 EST (US)     8 / 18       

I'm not sure, you have always had a habit of using this alternate spelling
Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 04-16-03 16:39 EST (US)     9 / 18       
I think it began when I passed the half-way mark... "Centurian" seemed to become more of a preoccupation than before.

[This message has been edited by Civis Romanus (edited 04-16-2003 @ 07:00 PM).]

PCDania
Archer
(id: PCD)
posted 04-17-03 06:28 EST (US)     10 / 18       
Just wondering why you didn't add the earthquake when Jesus died on the cross

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 04-17-03 11:49 EST (US)     11 / 18       

Quoted from PCDania:

Just wondering why you didn't add the earthquake when Jesus died on the cross.

PCD: A very good question. I reread key passages among the four authors of the New Testament. I found, just as I knew were there, differences in the telling. Consequently, unlike some writers who adapt either Matthew's, Mark's, Luke's or John's version exclusively, I opted to adhere to the primary events on which all authors agreed, but selected specific descriptive detail randomly from among the four.

Regarding the earthquake, I believe all commented on the dark skies and foul weather that arose suddenly; but the earthquake, unless I missed the relevant passages, is not universally reported. You will see more of this interpretation as I advance into the events of the third day.

I am doing a lot of this from memory so I have had to, here and there, go back and correct some detail. You'll note I will change the reference to the "Third Cohort" and the cut ear to being the ear of "the servant of the High Priest". This is how it was stated in all four texts and so was in need of correction in my story.

PCDania
Archer
(id: PCD)
posted 04-17-03 20:00 EST (US)     12 / 18       
Thanks for the answer, I was just wondering

Great work you are doing with the story, I know it is a big task you have given yourself

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 04-18-03 01:43 EST (US)     13 / 18       
Thanks PCDania

Everyone:
The story is now completed. I hope despite my amateur's ways I have created something worthwhile.

May the Season and its true meaning be a growing part of everyone's life regardless of which Words frame their creed.

Happy Easter to my readers and friends.

[This message has been edited by Civis Romanus (edited 04-18-2003 @ 01:44 AM).]

Jayhawk
Eminence Grise
posted 04-22-03 04:56 EST (US)     14 / 18       
Brightly woven, Civis.
Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 03-22-04 19:32 EST (US)     15 / 18       
For those of you who might be interested, a short story written for Easter is still accessible in this forum. You are invited to read the story by clicking on the link in the header to this comment thread or to click on the following link:
THE DUTY - A Short Story

[This message has been edited by Civis Romanus (edited 03-22-2004 @ 07:34 PM).]

Satanic Cowboy
Archer
(id: Octavius Maximus)
posted 03-23-04 01:50 EST (US)     16 / 18       
A very beautiful and moving story, Civis. A fitting bookend to the movie that just came out recently. Thank you.

~ The Flaming Heretic ~
"It isn't bad for you if you won't live long enough for it to have any effect." - Brad4321
"But it would be hell of a lot harder to do a drive by shooting with a steak knife, don't you think?" - Messiah
"I always shoot my sense of humor before coming here." - Von
"And what's wrong with sucking? At least someone gets pleasure from it!" - ArcticWind7
Lady Arcola
SHH Seraph
posted 04-11-04 00:29 EST (US)     17 / 18       
I really enjoyed this last time I read it, and it still is one of the best reads here.
Civis I hope your having a nice Easter weekend with your family.
And to all our members if you have time click the link for a great story.

Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

~ BFME2 Heaven | Stronghold Heaven | Stronghold 2 Heaven~
Civis Romanus
Earl
posted 04-12-04 11:23 EST (US)     18 / 18       
Thank you, both of you. As always with my stories they are first efforts and could stand some scrubbing and polishing. I'm glad you enjoyed it, rough hewn as it was.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames