Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.133 replies, Sticky
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Website Announcements and Updates » Poll Suggestions
Bottom
Topic Subject:Poll Suggestions
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
Kester
Seraph Emeritus
posted 10-30-05 01:49 EST (US)         
If you have an idea for a poll, for either Stronghold Heaven or Stronghold 2 Heaven, feel free to post it here and we'll consider it. Thanks

.-•°•-.-• Kester •-.-•°•-.
•-.-•°•-.-• deviations .-•°•-. flickr .-•°•-. gamertag •-.-•°•-.-•
.-•°•-.-• if (Kester.says("Zen! Get online")) { zen.status("online") } •-.-•°•-.
AuthorReplies:
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 02-27-08 03:45 EST (US)     101 / 133       
It works both ways, dont wait on me. I'd much rather keep what im writing quiet, at any rate i wont be churning them out every second. i plan to write indepth with the aid of images so yours wont be the same. Quality over quantity

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
Sulis
HG Alumnus
posted 02-28-08 03:35 EST (US)     102 / 133       
If you could let me know what you're after i'll be more than happy to do as many writups as needed
Firstly, thank you! As for what to include... everything?!?! Seriously, you probably have a better idea than I do what tutorials everyone is desperate for. Maybe split your work into brand new, never-seen-before stuff, the more commonly used tricks (e.g. snow/ice effect, himalaya) and some of the older stuff that has been around for a few years?

I'm happy to leave it up to you. Start new threads if you wish to promote what you're doing; I can make news items linking to your commentary in the forums so everyone knows what is being tackled.

Other members can help if they wish, but maybe we need someone to coordinate who does/can do what? This doesn't have to be a staff member either if you all agree between yourselves who will take the lead
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 02-28-08 03:46 EST (US)     103 / 133       
Well this has to be done, i want people using the tricks we use and that can only happen once the majority know how to do them

I dont normally consider myself a leader but i'd like to take a lead on this project - i'll setup a thread where people can say what they are after in a tutorial, after which i'll tackle thier suggestion as quickly as i can.

I can only make this happen if the community lets me know what they need, lets hope i get some feedback

I do have a question though: how large should i make the images for the tutorials? or will you be able to resize them to fit on the website?
if you could let me know the pixel height and width you'd like i'll resize them myself to save you some time.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 02-28-2008 @ 04:32 AM).]

Sparrow
Archer
posted 02-28-08 05:40 EST (US)     104 / 133       
For what it's worth regarding dimensions for graphics, my recollection is that on some pages the maximum width is something like 564 pixels. Going over that could make them disappear. I know I made some of mine just under that at 560 pixels to be safe. It may depend on which part of the site you are on. They don't all use the same formatting or style sheets. Staff can correct me if things are different or my memory is failing.

Going over this width may cause cut-off or even, I believe, in some browsers on some pages of the site, the picture not to display at all. I think I'm right on that. Reduced browser width will definitely cause cut-off.

But while 564 pixels may be the maximum I would recommend staying well under that if possible. Don't forget to consider that while members use various screen resolutions, they also may not be running their browser full screen. I know I don't, plus I use a side-tabbed browser, further cutting down view window width. The advantages I get for this in the forums and on the SHH sites are tremendous so well worth the width trade-off.

I recommend doing some browsing in the tutorials and walk-throughs with your browser not at full screen to get a feel for width sizing and cut-off by looking at currently displayed screen shots.

While you can right click and choose "properties" to see the displayed size of graphics in many browsers, I sometimes use a handy little tool (there may be others) for measurements called Screen Calipers. It's shareware and stated that the trial version may be evaluated for as long as you need to at www.iconico.com.
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 02-28-08 05:55 EST (US)     105 / 133       
Thanks mate that helped alot!
Its really nice to see you back here

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 02-28-08 07:55 EST (US)     106 / 133       
The largest width I normally use on images is 520 pixels. It displays fine on smaller screens and on non-maximized browsers (from what I've seen).

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\¦| Seraph |¦//--/_____/
\\//\\//
°ºº°
ericgolf
Earl
posted 02-28-08 14:49 EST (US)     107 / 133       
I have been restricting any graphic I put in a map DL description to 500 pixels wide...

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Léugìm Campaign Contribute a Review
Sparrow
Archer
posted 02-28-08 18:51 EST (US)     108 / 133       
Yes, 500 pixels is a much better width to consider as maximum, ericgolf. A lot of mine were 500, 520, even under 500. The 560 width ones of which I spoke were of entire castles, including moat, so even at that width detail was quite small.

I probably should add one more suggestion. Always try to keep the width down where possible, especially for logos, objects, and screen shots of small areas or particular buildings. It will help your article flow and look better on the page. If some widths are narrow enough text can run around them on one side or the other which really helps integrate them into your article. There's nothing better than reading some instruction or explanation and having a graphic right beside it instead of above or below.

Many graphics used in author's write-ups in the downloads section are far too big in my opinion and work against the readability and flow of the story and instructions they are trying to convey. Many of the wider screen shots end up clipped on the right in anything but the largest of browser windows.

Oh yes, I had forgotten in my previous post, check out the Castle of the Weeks in the archive, too, for some effective sizings and integration with text. Based on current site formatting you'll notice that 300-320 pixels is a pretty effective maximum width for use with text run arounds, although I've gone as high as 360 pixels in at least one instance.
WarLord_Designs
Archer
posted 02-29-08 00:41 EST (US)     109 / 133       
all well and good and i totally agree with you however my diagrams will be a little hard to see if i go lower than 500 pixels, they involve single tiles in the editor and arrows ect ect...

I want to give instructions by both text and visually so the pictures may have to be 500ish wide

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Sparrow
Archer
posted 02-29-08 01:58 EST (US)     110 / 133       
Absolutely. I didn't mean to discourage you from using larger widths when necessary. Many graphics need all the width you can give them.
de keijzer
Archer
posted 03-26-08 15:50 EST (US)     111 / 133       
what about the question: make a hop to place where you can place your ideas(not map related) for the site, for what you think that should happen to stronghold enz.enz
Venomrider
Archer
posted 05-05-08 22:55 EST (US)     112 / 133       
What about a poll of ''how often do you play SH or Crusader''

Every day

Every second day of the week

Occasionally

Never, I quit Stronghold

That might be interesting although I would fall under the Occasionally category

Currently maining (TF2) - Medic

"You are a sick, twisted individual" ~ Blatant7
The Hitman
Archer
posted 07-31-08 04:58 EST (US)     113 / 133       
Since Stronghold Extreme is released and I had the pleasure to pre-order it and try it out, I suggest the following poll to be 'bout it. Maybe this:

What is your favorite field power?
- Arrow volley attack
- Heal
- Reinforce spearmen
- Reinforce engineers
- Reinforce macemen
- Uncover gold
- Reinforce knights
- Stone volley attack

Correct me if I've mistaken or missed some field powers. The more powerful a field power is, the more time you need to cast is, so I guess there will be a lot opinions

No pain, no gain!
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 07-31-08 11:45 EST (US)     114 / 133       
That looks like all the powers. I'll use this for the next poll.

\\//\\//
°ºº°
Dragunov
Archer
posted 08-06-08 17:57 EST (US)     115 / 133       
What if I don't have Extreme, like many others?

▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
█▄ █▄ █▄ █▀
Fintrollx
Archer
posted 08-11-08 11:34 EST (US)     116 / 133       
I don't have either, it's too much required for my computer becouse i evem have lag in Crusader.

If you like very big battles, i suggest you to try Massacre at Tenjin
Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 08-11-08 20:25 EST (US)     117 / 133       
Your pc doesn't sound good.

There will always be an option for those without the game.

\\//\\//
°ºº°
Dragunov
Archer
posted 08-12-08 04:42 EST (US)     118 / 133       
I can't give special parameters, but my SH2 lags on dual core processor They've added too much textures.

▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
█▄ █▄ █▄ █▀
ericgolf
Earl
posted 08-12-08 05:53 EST (US)     119 / 133       
I suppose you have gone into the video settings and turned off some stuff?

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 08-12-2008 @ 05:57 AM).]

Fintrollx
Archer
posted 08-12-08 10:13 EST (US)     120 / 133       
yes, Sir Hugh i have good net speed about 4200 kbt/s, but very bad computer for gaming, i mean bad graphic controller and it cannot be chanced becouse the comp is so old.

Dragunov
Archer
posted 08-12-08 12:18 EST (US)     121 / 133       
nope, the video is GeForce 9600 GT with all turned on and it still lags, when I add more than 4 lords

Anyway, about the poll - why I can vote more than once, when I restart IE?

▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
█▄ █▄ █▄ █▀

[This message has been edited by Dragunov (edited 08-12-2008 @ 12:20 PM).]

Sir Hugh
BfME2H/SHH Seraph
posted 08-12-08 15:49 EST (US)     122 / 133       
Does IE7 delete your cookies?

\\//\\//
°ºº°
Fintrollx
Archer
posted 08-13-08 04:55 EST (US)     123 / 133       
I can also vote more than once if i'd want, im using Opera

Venomrider
Archer
posted 08-13-08 05:55 EST (US)     124 / 133       
@ Sir Hugh

Before we sold them and replaced them with fast ones, both the computers we used for Crusader were really laggy.

But we didn't notice it after playing like that for so long.

Currently maining (TF2) - Medic

"You are a sick, twisted individual" ~ Blatant7
Dragunov
Archer
posted 08-13-08 13:34 EST (US)     125 / 133       
IE7 doesn't deletes my cookies... I've tried on other PC with Firefox, Opera and Avant Browser and I can still vote infinite times

▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
█▄ █▄ █▄ █▀
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames