The year is 1455 and the Wars of the Roses are in full swing. Carreg Cennon is in the hands of the Lancastrians about to be besieged by the Yorkists. This map is not a real historical siege of the castle but what could have happened if the Yorkists had besieged the castle during this time. Any names of characters are false names.
Carreg Cennon is built on a mighty site, sitting two hundred metres up above the surrounding land, it has a very imposing position., in fact it holds one of the best sits to defend in the whole of Britain! Now you must take command of it and hold it against a massive Yorkist army. Lord Hailing, or as is better know ‘The Snake’ has crossed into Wales with an army of around a thousand men but this is not all. His engineers have been busy, attacking Carreg Cennon is no easy task and so he has brought catapults and battering rams to bring the castle down, brick by brick!
Sir Edward Hastoff looks down on the outer ward below him from the Church Tower. The defences are weak, his walls are thin and his defenders are way too few. He is bellowing orders to the men below, more weapons must be made, more soldiers must be trained and more food and wood must be brought in before the Snake’s army arrives! He is hoping that Welsh peasants and outlaws will come to the castle to aid its defence against the Yorkist army but he knows their number will be few…
There are a few elements on Edward’s side, he has engineers and a stock of pitch, he has seen how effective boiling oil and lighted pitch can be at holding off an attacking army. He also knows where the Snake’s men will attack from, half the castle is protected by huge cliffs that are completely unassailable. The area around Carreg also has a lot of wood, more woodcutters must be sent out to gather wood. Edward knows that every minute counts now, every last weapon he can manage to make could make all the difference!
Author’s Notes -
- This map has been play tested on Normal although any more experienced player are welcome to play on Hard or Very Hard, they may be some minor bugs however.
- This is a tough siege but you do have time to prepare, in that time concentrate on making weapons especially crossbowmen. Cattle are set up already, one farm already in the walls so get making leather armour and crossbows as fast as possible. You can easily double your number of defenders before the invasions arrive. Spearmen are also useful gathered in the keep.
- Aim most of the archer and crossbowmen fire at the catapults from the first few invasions, destroying these catapults can make a huge difference as if the outer wall is breached too early you are immediately put on the back foot.
- You must also concentrate fire on the many battering rams as well as they can cause you a lot of trouble and are very fast at knocking down gatehouses.
- Boiling oil and pitch are very important, using your engineers well can make the difference between winning and losing. You must get them quickly back to re-fill their cauldrons!
- You have to move your men around especially on the outer wall as they could mainly attack from the right side, it really depends which signposts they use. Also I would recommend deleting the staircases on the outer wall as soon as the attacks start, this means that they will not be slaughtered by mace men but can still aid the defence.
… And finally I hope you enjoy the map! It was great fun to finally make Carreg Cennon after all these years!
All of these competition maps are totally awesome. Beyond normal standards. This one is one hellava fight. Im still working on it. I have to say I was awed when I looked at these maps from the competition.