The castle was built on a 420 meters high mountain above the village. It was alredy completed in
the 13 century. It was a royal castle form 1366. King Sigsmund gave it to Voivod Stibor as a grant in
1394.Count Bazini and Szentgyörgyi owned it alike and it was also in the possession of the Fuggers.
It went over into Menyhért Balassi's prossessions form the fuggers. It became known as a robber
knight's castle under the name of „Gyötrõkõ”. The scenes of the „Comedia of the Betrayal of
Menyhért Balassi” mainly take place within the walls of the castle. Books of Péter Bornemissza,
preacher of the Balassis and tutor of Bálint Balassi were printed in the castle. Péter Bakics Kept
Zsuzsanna Forgách, Peter Révai's wife confinden here after having her kidnapped in the castle of
Holics. Platine Pállfy purchased the castle later on. Sterhemberg's armies defeated those of László
Ocskay, one of the generals of Ferenc Rakoczi II, near the castle in 1707. The castle became
tumbledown at that time.