(WARNING:IT'S HARDLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU PLAY THIS MAP AT HARD) Gather here Toliken fans!!! And also you lords that really love this game.I was thinking of modelling a real castle for you. And when I was thinking, I remebered the legendary wars and sieges that was told of in the greatest book of the 20. century, Lord of the Rings.I decided to simulate the first great battle in the book, Defending Helm's Deep.I tried hard to create the vision of the castle step by step, reading the description Toliken made in his book.There may be things that you have different in mind. For example I found out that the main castle was lower than the Helm's Rampart when I completed the map. But I was very impatient to release this map for you, so I left it as I did it first. Also I am not sure of the exact place that river's bed is located.I wasn't able to make the tides that come from the back of the stronghold, which were cut by tree-men, becuse it requires a fairly big place and there are no walking trees in the game!:))
I was upset to find out that you cannot have more than 200 from one unit type. I was planning to use macemen to symbolize orcs.I couldnt also put archers to the attacking force because orcs needded to have a massive land force of infantries.The game limited my dreams, as you see :) But I had to use other units to represent the army of darkness.I had to insist on the balance of the forces very much to create the atmosphere in the story. And after playing the map again and again at different toughnesses, I found out the optimum number of soldiers and the optimum level to play it. Again, I hardly recommend you to play it HARD. I am going to finish my words with these last offers for you to play it in the real atmosphere of the book.Here are my recommendations:
- At the first stage, don't ever forget to place archers in the best locations to make them attack each second.
- You cannot stop them from passing the hole on the wall and the river, but when they start to ram the castle gates, run and dispatch them with your cavalries or swordsmen(this is what happens in the story, cavalries symbolize Knights of Rohan and swordsmen represent the group of Aragorn and Eomer.Their swords shall be drawn to protect the gates), they shouldnt be able to ruin that gate till their 3rd or 4th tide.
- Don't forget the archers on the wall on the south, you can bring them to the castle using stairs on the mountains.
- You will see some spaces (which symbolize caves) in the mountains on the south. There are monks in them (which symbolize dwarf Gimli and the warriors near him) and you would better use them when their last tide is on their way. You may bring them into the castle using the same stairs on the mountains.
- Have fun! And don't let the lord (King Theoden) be slained!
umm actually you are right..
but I made this map for defending actually..
you can easly take the castle by sending all the maceman of course..but it is very bad to see that AI cannot think this..that's why I put that much orcs into the map...
Posted on 01/20/02 @ 12:00 AM
I haven't yet played the mission but I to was (and am) thinking of building one of the battles in the lord of the rings, the battle in Minas Tirith( don't steal the idea) but when I read your description I found it very bad that after reading the three books( I hope) you can't even spell the authors name: it is TOLKIEN.