(WARNING:IT'S HARDLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU PLAY THIS MAP AT HARD) Gather here Toliken fans!!! And also you lords that really love this game.I was thinking of modelling a real castle for you. And when I was thinking, I remebered the legendary wars and sieges that was told of in the greatest book of the 20. century, Lord of the Rings.I decided to simulate the first great battle in the book, Defending Helm's Deep.I tried hard to create the vision of the castle step by step, reading the description Toliken made in his book.There may be things that you have different in mind. For example I found out that the main castle was lower than the Helm's Rampart when I completed the map. But I was very impatient to release this map for you, so I left it as I did it first. Also I am not sure of the exact place that river's bed is located.I wasn't able to make the tides that come from the back of the stronghold, which were cut by tree-men, becuse it requires a fairly big place and there are no walking trees in the game!:))
I was upset to find out that you cannot have more than 200 from one unit type. I was planning to use macemen to symbolize orcs.I couldnt also put archers to the attacking force because orcs needded to have a massive land force of infantries.The game limited my dreams, as you see :) But I had to use other units to represent the army of darkness.I had to insist on the balance of the forces very much to create the atmosphere in the story. And after playing the map again and again at different toughnesses, I found out the optimum number of soldiers and the optimum level to play it. Again, I hardly recommend you to play it HARD. I am going to finish my words with these last offers for you to play it in the real atmosphere of the book.Here are my recommendations:
- At the first stage, don't ever forget to place archers in the best locations to make them attack each second.
- You cannot stop them from passing the hole on the wall and the river, but when they start to ram the castle gates, run and dispatch them with your cavalries or swordsmen(this is what happens in the story, cavalries symbolize Knights of Rohan and swordsmen represent the group of Aragorn and Eomer.Their swords shall be drawn to protect the gates), they shouldnt be able to ruin that gate till their 3rd or 4th tide.
- Don't forget the archers on the wall on the south, you can bring them to the castle using stairs on the mountains.
- You will see some spaces (which symbolize caves) in the mountains on the south. There are monks in them (which symbolize dwarf Gimli and the warriors near him) and you would better use them when their last tide is on their way. You may bring them into the castle using the same stairs on the mountains.
- Have fun! And don't let the lord (King Theoden) be slained!
|Pages:  2 » Last » |
|Author||Reviews ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )|
Hm, I played the Orcs, I put all my points in macemen..huhurg..And I took that castle down..hurhurg...
Not much strategy needed in this map, but still a fun map, especially when all your macemen are running all over the place, killing everyone...
I liked the map. To tell you the truth my ratings might have been influenced by the fact I am a Lord of the rings nut and pretty much any lord of the rings map I will like. I am also thinking of making a battle, maybe taking isenguard but of course i can't make ents but anyway, good map.
This is an incredible map. The level of detail is amazing. The way different units use different courses of attack is very nice. I really like the variety and depth of play. The first time I played, I ended up gradually getting overwhelmed and having to fall back repeatedly. There is one place after another to set up a defence. The final assault, unfortunately, finished me off. The second time through, I didn't make the mistake of fortifying the wooden palisade again. I just placed everyone in the castle on the hill, fortified it (with the stone from the quaries), and won with less than 5% casualties.
A few suggestions if you are still interested:
1. Make defending the wooden palisade somehow worthwhile. For example, you could have a couple of weak attacks that could be fended off by the palisade. You could also have pitch that could be lit by the defenders or something similar. As it is, if the palisade is defended, your forces are instantly wiped out. If you abandon it, the game is unbalanced.
2. Get rid of one stone quarry or get rid of both and give the player a small amount of stone. As it is, the stone quarries give enough stone to rebuild your castle five times over.
3. Speed up some of the attacks. Occassionally, I would have to turn the game speed up to 90 and still wait for prolongued periods of time for the next assault.
Overall, this is one of the better maps that I've played. I'm going to try it again on very hard and see if it gives a challenge.
i am a lord of the rings fan and i thought this map would be better i liked the invasion map better i liked it but when trying to capture it all u need is a few mace men and the rest of them archers
i like the map though it was a fun one to defend well good map i am actually creatin a siege map for morgoth's last stand at thangorodrim still trying to perfect it though
Playability : 3
Its a good map and i found the retreating and defending very addictive...but the only problem i found was that I got overwhelmed more often than not and as soon as i found that the mace men had cut off the archers at the first wall by hacking at the wall...I had to restart. Also at the begining i had to move the archers and monks upto the front wall...which became kinda irritating.
Balance : 3
This is a tough map...it could have been more even if a few pitch ditches, spike traps and seige engineers were added...maybe that would'nt have been true to Tolkien's work...still a bit unbalanced...conversly attacking is too easy and doesn't provide too much of a challenge .
Creativity : 4
Here's the strong point of this map...the surroundings and the castle is well made and detailed...good work.
Map design : 3
Althugh the map is creativly made and good to look at...it just does'nt function with the AI...the AI always moves to the left of the castle and waits while my archers pick 'em off the goes for the main gate all the way on the other side...perhaps this area could be included to expand Helm's deep and make more complex...that would have made it perfect.
Story/Instructions : 2
Just a Para...that too gives info which might not make sense to those who haven't read the books or seen the movie...
Good map overall, it certainly held my attention longer than the Helm's deep skirmish map for crusader...could have been better with a slight vchange in map design and a dew more troops for the defenders...
I have played the game and it was very good,
Once the enemy destrys the first gate they spread out and start to take down the other walls, instead of taking down the second gate.
Also, I think the game would be more realistic and better if you would give the enemy laddermen, and less swordsmen
Awesome Map! Great job! It realy doesn't look like Helms Deep but it is still awesome. I like how you have to fall back alot but it has one problem, how the army waits, and send small portions. Other than that, I play it over and over again. The map detail is good too. Well, its a great map and good luck on any more. - Britton
great mab, but a bit to easy. i played it on normal and won, then on very hard and they didn't even get past "Theoden's" horses. perhaps if you ghanged the number of swords men and horses to 10 or something, rather then 15. anyway, great map!
download this map!
Its a great map but a little too easy it would have been cool to add another layer of wall to retreat another time first I played it on easy and I basically didnt have to do anything to win then I played it on Very Hard and lost but there was only like 8 swordsman left!! It would of been more cool to have you be losing and then Gandolfh to come and rescue them with like 50 horses like he does in the movie but its was an excellent map.
An intresting map by sir Fingolfin
Just put all your archers on the outr wall and all your melee troops inside the gate house and then its a mowie.
Same as playability
According to what stands in the description you´w been very creativ
Map design: 3/5
so and so
Over alla good and fun map
|Pages:  2 » Last » |