Welcome to the history section of Stronghold
In this section you will find historical information concerning castles and a history of those countries which excelled in building these monstrous colossus of stone.
We hope to be able to also offer you information on a new historical castle every other week.
For links to other sites about real life castles, please have a look here.
Medieval HistoryThis section contains various articles with a medieval theme. We should be regularly adding new articles on different aspects of medieval life.
- Vernacular Drama of the Middle Ages by Kester*
- Falconry in the Middle Ages by Kester*
- Wool Textiles in the Middle Ages by Kester*
- Joglars and Minstrels by Kester*
- Chandlery by Kester*
- King Philip II of France by MNICY
- Heraldry and Coat of Arms by Sir Mills
- Experience of winter nowadays and then by Peter2008
History of castles
In feudalism, the peasants, or serfs, owed their services and money to a Lord in exchange for safety. The Lord also owed service to his lord, theoretically all the way up to the King, although it depended on the strength of the king.More...
General Medieval HistoryThis section contains various articles with a medieval theme.
- The Peasants, My Lord? by GillB*
- You'll be glad you've got a healer after this by GillB*
- That's Entertainment by GillB*
- A Slice of Vulture, my Lord? by GillB*
- May I be excused? by GillB*
- A Woman's Lot was not a Happy One by GillB*
- Kidstuff by GillB*
- How much for that bread, my good man? by Sulis*
- Let us Pray by GillB*
- A Castellan's Glossary by GillB* - The terminology of castle building
- A Glossary of Medieval People by GillB* - People and jobs in medieval times
History of England
This period of English history is the story of 2 dynasties, the Normans and the Angevins (Plantagenets). It is a story of great social and political upheaval, of war, treason and murder.More...
History of Spain
In the centuries following the birth of Christ Spain was ruled by the Romans. When the Empire fell, Visigoths took over, and they remained in control until 711 AD, when Muslims from North Africa (known as Moors) invaded, setting up a Caliphate (Kingdom).More...