Castle of the Week 96 - Stolzenfels
Not far from the German city of Koblenz, Schloss Stolzenfels
stands on a steep mountain spur overlooking the Rhine and the
delta of the Lahn, one of the best-known castles of the Rhine
A small fortress was first built in the mid 13th century by Archbishop Arnold of Isenburg to collect illegal tolls from boats sailing up the Rhine. This practice continued until 1412. At the end of the 14th century, the castle was extended as the Archbishops of Trier were using it as their home.
In 1632 the castle was occupied by Sweden. Two years later and, again, in 1646, the French took it and, in each case, held it for two years. In 1689 most of the medieval castle was burnt down by the French during the siege of Koblenz in the Palatinate War of Succession.
It was finished in 1842 and the crown prince, now King, made it his summer residence, celebrating its completion with a torch-lit procession of people wearing historical costumes.
The castle can still be visited and is a museum of items from its long history. There’s a collection of historic weapons and another of early German ceramics. They are situated in the remarkable vaulted knight’s hall which was modelled on the refectory of Marienburg castle.
Write-up provided by GillB*.